Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Religion - No Religion Does It Really Matter?

Squirrelinatree353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:25:26 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
People of planet earth. The time has come to band together and fight evil. The world has become a disgusting place and we must try our best to help each other and look after each other. Pay people compliments, care for people, love people. Easier said than done in this dark world but we must remember that we are all humans and we all have problems.

Religion is not important compared to trying to love rather than to hate. We must try to remember that we have many luxuries that some places in the world do not possess. Our spare change could help change lives in other places that are not as fortunate.

We don"t need to go all holy but we must pursue righteous such as Love, Loyalty, Humility and mix them with our personal levels of darkness. It"s the only way to bring inner peace to ones self and others around us.

The world is a horrible place and it"s easy to sit here and type these things. I know absolutely nothing and i am trying and failing in many regards. But it"s the effort that counts. I do not wish to be arrogant or pompous by spreading this message. I just want to see the planet unite as one family under peace, love and awesome crap.

Although religion is not absolute and we all have many faiths and beliefs. The following website helped me out a lot so I would like to share it with you awesome people: https://www.jw.org...

Thanks for taking the time to read this crap..
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:00:52 PM
At 6/29/2016 5:25:26 PM, Squirrelinatree353 wrote:
People of planet earth. The time has come to band together and fight evil.
What evil, and why together? A great deal of evil cannot be fought as a group, because the worst evils reside within the structure, customs, beliefs and traditions of groups themselves. That's why the first and worst of abuses of power must be fought alone -- within ourselves, and with those who depend on our support to perpetrate them.

The world has become a disgusting place
How can you be sure you have the wisdom to know?

Easier said than done in this dark world
Is the world dark, or just your knowledge of it?

Religion is not important compared to trying to love rather than to hate.
Why then promote religion rather than a better knowledge and appreciation of humanity, and of ourselves?

We don't need to go all holy
Or sanctimonious, as in when one lectures strangers with jingoism?

The world is a horrible place
That seems self-important to me, Squirrel. You are safer today and better nourished than your ancestors were. You have better education, better information, and a reach and impact they never did. That arose from the efforts and sacrifices of your ancestors and from the honesty, courage and kindness of the citizens around you. I think it's arrogant to call it horrible.

I do not wish to be arrogant or pompous by spreading this message.
How then did you arrive at the conclusion that a message must be spread?

I just want to see the planet unite as one family under peace, love and awesome crap.
Truly? How much then are you willing to change to join others and see the world from their perspective? Will you worship with a Hindu, for example? Attend the wedding of a Muslim man to his fourth wife? Kiss the husbands in a gay wedding? Walk naked on a nudist beach? Or is it your expectation that others should join you in your customs?

The following website helped me out a lot so I would like to share it with you awesome people: https://www.jw.org...
And the inevitable dogmatic promotion of a site dedicated to intolerance, ignorance and theocratic tribalism.

You haven't met the members here, Squirrel, so it's patronising to call them awesome. Yet they are better than you've already treated them.

You should have asked questions first instead of deciding you had universal answers for strangers. Then I'd have called you be awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
It was a mark of respect. Yet I wonder whether you'll extend the same respect to explore the views of members you've already talked down to.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:10:43 PM
At 6/29/2016 6:00:52 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
People of planet earth. The time has come to band together and fight evil.
What evil, and why together? A great deal of evil cannot be fought as a group, because the worst evils reside within the structure, customs, beliefs and traditions of groups themselves. That's why the first and worst of abuses of power must be fought alone -- within ourselves, and with those who depend on our support to perpetrate them.

The world has become a disgusting place
How can you be sure you have the wisdom to know?

Easier said than done in this dark world
Is the world dark, or just your knowledge of it?

Religion is not important compared to trying to love rather than to hate.
Why then promote religion rather than a better knowledge and appreciation of humanity, and of ourselves?

We don't need to go all holy
Or sanctimonious, as in when one lectures strangers with jingoism?

The world is a horrible place
That seems self-important to me, Squirrel. You are safer today and better nourished than your ancestors were. You have better education, better information, and a reach and impact they never did. That arose from the efforts and sacrifices of your ancestors and from the honesty, courage and kindness of the citizens around you. I think it's arrogant to call it horrible.

I do not wish to be arrogant or pompous by spreading this message.
How then did you arrive at the conclusion that a message must be spread?

I just want to see the planet unite as one family under peace, love and awesome crap.
Truly? How much then are you willing to change to join others and see the world from their perspective? Will you worship with a Hindu, for example?

Hindu is actually a geographical identity and not to be confused with some sort of religion. And yes - hindus worship with muslims or people of any religion in the world.

Attend the wedding of a Muslim man to his fourth wife? Kiss the husbands in a gay wedding? Walk naked on a nudist beach? Or is it your expectation that others should join you in your customs?

The following website helped me out a lot so I would like to share it with you awesome people: https://www.jw.org...
And the inevitable dogmatic promotion of a site dedicated to intolerance, ignorance and theocratic tribalism.

You haven't met the members here, Squirrel, so it's patronising to call them awesome. Yet they are better than you've already treated them.

You should have asked questions first instead of deciding you had universal answers for strangers. Then I'd have called you be awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
It was a mark of respect. Yet I wonder whether you'll extend the same respect to explore the views of members you've already talked down to.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:37:39 PM
At 6/29/2016 6:10:43 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
Hindu is actually a geographical identity and not to be confused with some sort of religion. And yes - hindus worship with muslims or people of any religion in the world.

Hi Riwaaz.

I realise you have been away, so welcome back.

With that said, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in engaging your views on Hinduism. I have told you so in the past, but you may have forgotten.

In case you have also forgotten why, I believe you're misappropriating a complex, diverse and well-documented range of beliefs far outside your own traditions, and misrepresenting them for your own dogmatic purposes using claims to intellectual and cultural authority you don't possess and cannot substantiate. Because that's a dishonest and disrespectful approach from the outset, I believe it's unconstructive to engage it, which is not to say that other members won't.

I also believe it's disrespectful to inject such dogmatism into other threads -- even a rather disingenuous thread like this one. If you want to promote your idiosyncratic views on Hinduism I suggest you do so in a thread dedicated to that purpose.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:44:59 PM
People of planet earth. The time has come to band together and fight evil. The world has become a disgusting place and we must try our best to help each other and look after each other. Pay people compliments, care for people, love people. Easier said than done in this dark world but we must remember that we are all humans and we all have problems.

Religion is not important compared to trying to love rather than to hate. We must try to remember that we have many luxuries that some places in the world do not possess. Our spare change could help change lives in other places that are not as fortunate.

We don"t need to go all holy but we must pursue righteous such as Love, Loyalty, Humility and mix them with our personal levels of darkness. It"s the only way to bring inner peace to ones self and others around us.

The world is a horrible place and it"s easy to sit here and type these things. I know absolutely nothing and i am trying and failing in many regards. But it"s the effort that counts. I do not wish to be arrogant or pompous by spreading this message. I just want to see the planet unite as one family under peace, love and awesome crap.

Although religion is not absolute and we all have many faiths and beliefs. The following website helped me out a lot so I would like to share it with you awesome people: https://www.jw.org...

Be very careful, Squirrel, the link you posted is to the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 8:07:28 PM
Religion matters a lot to some people, in their quest to be better human beings. Unfortunately, it also matters to people who use their religion as their excuse for NOT becoming better human beings. While it doesn't really matter at all for a lot more people who may or may not be trying to be better human beings.

So the bottom line is that religion is only positively relevant to our quest to be better human beings to a fraction of the people who claim to want to do so, and who claim that their religion is helping them do so.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 8:32:33 PM

I guess it matters in proportion to how the thought of truth and justice matter, since that is what the true faith is all about, and is the only way to achieve it for all..
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 4:44:48 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:37:39 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Hi Riwaaz.

I realise you have been away, so welcome back.

With that said, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in engaging your views on Hinduism. I have told you so in the past, but you may have forgotten.

In case you have also forgotten why, I believe you're misappropriating a complex, diverse and well-documented range of beliefs far outside your own traditions, and misrepresenting them for your own dogmatic purposes using claims to intellectual and cultural authority you don't possess and cannot substantiate. Because that's a dishonest and disrespectful approach from the outset, I believe it's unconstructive to engage it, which is not to say that other members won't.

I also believe it's disrespectful to inject such dogmatism into other threads -- even a rather disingenuous thread like this one. If you want to promote your idiosyncratic views on Hinduism I suggest you do so in a thread dedicated to that purpose.

But I expect you to define hindu'ism', that is what does hindu'ism' requires its followers to do? There must be something that unites 'complex, diverse and well-documented range of beliefs' since your putting a particular label on it.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 4:58:18 AM
They must take their geography with them.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:20:10 AM
At 6/30/2016 4:58:18 AM, bulproof wrote:
They must take their geography with them.

Didn't Crowded House have a song about that?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:43:53 AM
At 6/30/2016 4:44:48 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 6/29/2016 6:37:39 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I believe you're misappropriating a complex, diverse and well-documented range of beliefs far outside your own traditions, and misrepresenting them for your own dogmatic purposes using claims to intellectual and cultural authority you don't possess and cannot substantiate. Because that's a dishonest and disrespectful approach from the outset, I believe it's unconstructive to engage it, which is not to say that other members won't.

But I expect you to define hindu'ism', that is what does hindu'ism' requires its followers to do? There must be something that unites 'complex, diverse and well-documented range of beliefs' since your putting a particular label on it.

You are welcome to raise that question in a thread where it's relevant, Riwaaz. You will doubtless find members to respond. I don't personally think ancient religious thought admits crisp definitions due to the way they change and diversify, but that doesn't mean they can't be identified by signature concerns, ideas, themes and common roots.

Again, that's not for this thread, and I may or may not wish to share that thought in a thread you initiate. It depends a great deal on how you initiate it and what I see of your behaviour in other threads in the meantime.