Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Christian values

Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:46:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

To love one another is the main one I understand as being taught by believers even if they don't always seem to practice what they preach.

Do you want me to post scripture references to show you how the bible seems to support and teach the concept?
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:53:40 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/30/2016 2:46:59 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

To love one another is the main one I understand as being taught by believers even if they don't always seem to practice what they preach.

Do you want me to post scripture references to show you how the bible seems to support and teach the concept?

Sure.
Then maybe we can get Chloe to post scripture that contradicts it.
Calvinist
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:07:16 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

http://lmgtfy.com...

On a more serious note, you need to be more specific in your question. Are you generally unaware of what is meant by "Christian values"? As in you do not know that they are the values that Christians have? Specifically, the values that are derived from the Scriptures? Or is there a specific value that you have a question about? Regarding the Scriptural evidence for Christian values, consider 1 Corinthians 11:1-2.
Sola scriptura, sola gratia, sola fide, soli Deo gloria.
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:00:47 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/30/2016 5:07:16 AM, Calvinist wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

http://lmgtfy.com...

On a more serious note, you need to be more specific in your question. Are you generally unaware of what is meant by "Christian values"? As in you do not know that they are the values that Christians have? Specifically, the values that are derived from the Scriptures? Or is there a specific value that you have a question about? Regarding the Scriptural evidence for Christian values, consider 1 Corinthians 11:1-2.

Bronto says that America is failing due to a decrease or loss of Christian values. Since I am unsure of what those are, I would like to find out what he meant.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:12:09 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
""If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever" the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

"A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.""

"charge some that they teach no other doctrine, nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm."
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:24:46 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

There are no Christian values.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:26:54 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
(Luke 18:10)
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector."

(Luke 18:11)
"The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector."

(Luke 18:12)
"I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get."

(Luke 18:13)
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

(Luke 18:14)
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

*

(1 Peter 4:8)
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

*

(Matthew 11:19)
"The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is proved right by her deeds."

*

(Mark 2:17)
"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

*

(John 8:10)
Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

(John 8:11)
"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you,"Jesus declared.

*

(Matthew 21:31)
"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:29:24 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Luke 7:47
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:36:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

See Jane. You see it as bronto is a blunt "sinner". I,(Jane) am better than bronto, obviously. (While bronto is seeking help on his knees). You are coming from a place of pride. "I need no help! I can do everything alone!" Oh? Can you? Should you?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:39:12 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:36:52 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

See Jane. You see it as bronto is a blunt "sinner". I,(Jane) am better than bronto, obviously. (While bronto is seeking help on his knees). You are coming from a place of pride. "I need no help! I can do everything alone!" Oh? Can you? Should you?

"Pride goeth before the fall"
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:42:27 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:36:52 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

See Jane. You see it as bronto is a blunt "sinner". I,(Jane) am better than bronto, obviously. (While bronto is seeking help on his knees). You are coming from a place of pride. "I need no help! I can do everything alone!" Oh? Can you? Should you?

You are wrong. God did help me, and I asked for it. He held a mirror up to me and showed me all of my faults. Some I didn't even know. It took about 2 hours and it really sucked. But I'm glad it happened.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:43:01 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

Some Christian values that can easily be found within the Gospels and Epistles are unity, reverence, humility, charity, sacrifice, loyalty, perseverance, honesty, integrity, patience, comradery, commitment/devotion, gratefulness, righteousness, bravery, zeal...

These values are supported and anchored by the words of Jesus, his example and the writings of Paul and the other Epistles, quite bountifully.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:43:12 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.

No one is good Jane. No one. I admit it. I'm the second man in the psrable above it looks like. I know I'm not close. You are busy not being close while using self righteousness to justify things. You are oeacocking around wondering why I view you as a peacock instead of a humbled sinner.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:44:25 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:43:12 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.

No one is good Jane. No one. I admit it. I'm the second man in the psrable above it looks like. I know I'm not close. You are busy not being close while using self righteousness to justify things. You are oeacocking around wondering why I view you as a peacock instead of a humbled sinner.

I agree, I am not humble. It's one of my faults. Ask God.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:45:56 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:42:27 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:36:52 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

See Jane. You see it as bronto is a blunt "sinner". I,(Jane) am better than bronto, obviously. (While bronto is seeking help on his knees). You are coming from a place of pride. "I need no help! I can do everything alone!" Oh? Can you? Should you?


You are wrong. God did help me, and I asked for it. He held a mirror up to me and showed me all of my faults. Some I didn't even know. It took about 2 hours and it really sucked. But I'm glad it happened.

What if Christ can help those who don't claim him or understand him...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:47:47 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:44:25 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:43:12 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.

No one is good Jane. No one. I admit it. I'm the second man in the psrable above it looks like. I know I'm not close. You are busy not being close while using self righteousness to justify things. You are oeacocking around wondering why I view you as a peacock instead of a humbled sinner.

I agree, I am not humble. It's one of my faults. Ask God.

Man looks at the outside. God looks at the heart.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:47:58 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:45:56 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:42:27 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:36:52 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

See Jane. You see it as bronto is a blunt "sinner". I,(Jane) am better than bronto, obviously. (While bronto is seeking help on his knees). You are coming from a place of pride. "I need no help! I can do everything alone!" Oh? Can you? Should you?


You are wrong. God did help me, and I asked for it. He held a mirror up to me and showed me all of my faults. Some I didn't even know. It took about 2 hours and it really sucked. But I'm glad it happened.

What if Christ can help those who don't claim him or understand him...

Then that's fine. I have never personally met Jesus, so I don't know that he's real. I like to stick to what I know is real.
janesix
Posts: 3,466
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:49:28 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:47:47 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:44:25 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:43:12 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.

No one is good Jane. No one. I admit it. I'm the second man in the psrable above it looks like. I know I'm not close. You are busy not being close while using self righteousness to justify things. You are oeacocking around wondering why I view you as a peacock instead of a humbled sinner.

I agree, I am not humble. It's one of my faults. Ask God.

Man looks at the outside. God looks at the heart.

Yes I know. God knows me better than I know myself.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:50:09 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Romans 3:10
As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 10:20:31 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 3:47:47 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:44:25 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:43:12 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:38:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:34:29 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 7/1/2016 3:26:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

The difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is one looks to God to cover his sin. The other looks to nothing.

I prefer to take responsibility for my own "sins", Not to have God "cover" them, whatever that means.

So you take responsibility for them. Then what? Be punished?

Isn't guilt and shame punishment enough? It makes for good reason to change your behavior in the future, and make better future choices. I wouldn't want that taken from me.

See, every time I'm a$$ to you, I feel bad,and then try to be nicer next time. Even when I still want to be an A$s. See how that goes? I may not change my nature, but I can change my behavior.

No one is good Jane. No one. I admit it. I'm the second man in the psrable above it looks like. I know I'm not close. You are busy not being close while using self righteousness to justify things. You are oeacocking around wondering why I view you as a peacock instead of a humbled sinner.

I agree, I am not humble. It's one of my faults. Ask God.

Man looks at the outside. God looks at the heart.

Nice to know, one of the gods is a cardio vascular surgeon.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 5:14:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/30/2016 2:53:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/30/2016 2:46:59 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 6/29/2016 11:11:48 PM, janesix wrote:
What are christian values, and how are they supported by the bible?

To love one another is the main one I understand as being taught by believers even if they don't always seem to practice what they preach.

Do you want me to post scripture references to show you how the bible seems to support and teach the concept?

Sure.
Then maybe we can get Chloe to post scripture that contradicts it.

Contradictory scriptures can always be found.
The question is do they really contradict each other or do they merely present opposite perspectives of the same concepts?