Jump to topic:

Difference Between Cults and Occults?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:05:53 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Does anyone know what the difference between a cult and an occult is because they seem the same to me!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:07:58 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:05:53 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Does anyone know what the difference between a cult and an occult is because they seem the same to me!

I think "Occults" usually practice like dark magic and stuff, while "cults" are minor, small groups that strangely devote themselves to a thing or object. So I guess in a way a cult can be an occult.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:10:13 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:07:58 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I think "Occults" usually practice like dark magic and stuff, while "cults" are minor, small groups that strangely devote themselves to a thing or object. So I guess in a way a cult can be an occult.

Thanks for explaining! Cults are so creepy!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:13:14 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:10:13 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Not all cults are creepy. Some of them are innocent enough and not sinister. Like Collyridianism could be considered a cult, but all they did was worship Mary as a divine goddess and offer "bread sacrifices".

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:19:59 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:13:14 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Not all cults are creepy. Some of them are innocent enough and not sinister. Like Collyridianism could be considered a cult, but all they did was worship Mary as a divine goddess and offer "bread sacrifices".

What exactly were these bread sacrifices? Did they involve actual human sacrifices?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:21:41 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:19:59 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

What exactly were these bread sacrifices? Did they involve actual human sacrifices?

No lol. They were LITERALLY bread sacrifices, meaning they offered bread and cakes to most likely a shrine to her.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:29:32 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:21:41 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

No lol. They were LITERALLY bread sacrifices, meaning they offered bread and cakes to most likely a shrine to her.

Yum! I love cake but it's a shame that they would let all that food go to waste. Mary's all the way up in the sky while those Collyridianists are all the way on the ground, so Mary would have no way of eating the bread and cakes. Plus, I'm pretty sure everyone up in the sky eats food that can't be digested by the living, not regular human food! What type of cake did they offer to her: Chocolate cake? Vanilla cake? Chocolate chip cake? I love cake!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:32:55 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:29:32 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Yum! I love cake but it's a shame that they would let all that food go to waste. Mary's all the way up in the sky while those Collyridianists are all the way on the ground, so Mary would have no way of eating the bread and cakes. Plus, I'm pretty sure everyone up in the sky eats food that can't be digested by the living, not regular human food! What type of cake did they offer to her: Chocolate cake? Vanilla cake? Chocolate chip cake? I love cake!

Umm, I don't think they would have taken it so literally like that. It would probably be a measure of their virtue and devotion to her, as more of a spiritual and faith thing. I don't think they actually expected her, as a goddess, to come to earth and eat it. And it was probably basic bread dough enriched with butter, eggs, and honey.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:37:32 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:32:55 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Umm, I don't think they would have taken it so literally like that. It would probably be a measure of their virtue and devotion to her, as more of a spiritual and faith thing. I don't think they actually expected her, as a goddess, to come to earth and eat it. And it was probably basic bread dough enriched with butter, eggs, and honey.

Lol! That sounds so tasteless and boring but I guess everyone is entitled to their own traditions.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:40:57 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:37:32 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Lol! That sounds so tasteless and boring but I guess everyone is entitled to their own traditions.

I don't think they had a choice. They didn't really have "advanced cake-making strategies" as they do today. This was a cult before the 17th century (which is when people figured out how to make "real" cakes).

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:11:31 AM
At 6/30/2016 5:40:57 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't think they had a choice. They didn't really have "advanced cake-making strategies" as they do today. This was a cult before the 17th century (which is when people figured out how to make "real" cakes).

That cult wouldn't have got very far on Great British Bakeoff, even if they do worship Mary (Berry).
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:29:13 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:11:31 AM, desmac wrote:

That cult wouldn't have got very far on Great British Bakeoff, even if they do worship Mary (Berry).

Great Britain wasn't around back then.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:52:33 PM
At 6/30/2016 5:29:13 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

There'll always be an England.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:25:52 PM

LOL! This made me laugh! If they made that cake for Great British Bakeoff, they'd probably get kicked out right at the end of the episode! XD
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:44:46 PM
Does anyone know what the difference between a cult
Foodie, sociologically a cult is simply a small, relatively new religion. The word comes from the Latin cultus meaning "care, labor; cultivation, culture; worship, reverence" [http://www.etymonline.com...]. As sociologists see it, a cult has all the signatures of larger religion: sacred doctrine, rites, and practices, a theocracy, a focus on the immaterial, some way of integrating life purpose with a metaphysical narrative. But being smaller some sociological factors can make it look different: the role of charismatic personalities may be higher, there's less public scrutiny and critique, there may be more secrecy, and a cult is often more isolationist just to preserve its own fragile culture.

But that also creates some moral and ethical vulnerabilities. Cults have a not-undeserved reputation for injustice, cruelty, manipulation and exploitation of their members, and tinfoil-hat paranoia. However, larger religions also earn this reputation at times -- it's just that they're more publicly visible, and hence it's more transparent and accountable when it occurs, and perhaps society sees it as more acceptable when everyone is doing it.

By contrast, occult comes from the Latin occultus "hidden, concealed, secret". Occult is concerned with secretive mysteries and esoterica. It can cover ideas like magic, alchemy, ESP, astrology, spiritualism and divination, and of course can overlap with religious practices like reverence, worship and prayer. Many occult schools have cults associated with them (e.g. the Thelemic beliefs of Alistair Crowley, or the Theosophy made popular by Helen Blavatsky), but some are little more than philosophy (for example, schools of alchemical thought), and not all cults have interest in occult mysteries (for example, Jehovah's Witnesses are often described as a cult, and whatever you may think about them, they're about as un-occult as a cult can get. :D)

I hope that may be useful.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:52:12 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:44:46 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Does anyone know what the difference between a cult
Foodie, sociologically a cult is simply a small, relatively new religion. The word comes from the Latin cultus meaning "care, labor; cultivation, culture; worship, reverence" [http://www.etymonline.com...]. As sociologists see it, a cult has all the signatures of larger religion: sacred doctrine, rites, and practices, a theocracy, a focus on the immaterial, some way of integrating life purpose with a metaphysical narrative. But being smaller some sociological factors can make it look different: the role of charismatic personalities may be higher, there's less public scrutiny and critique, there may be more secrecy, and a cult is often more isolationist just to preserve its own fragile culture.

But that also creates some moral and ethical vulnerabilities. Cults have a not-undeserved reputation for injustice, cruelty, manipulation and exploitation of their members, and tinfoil-hat paranoia. However, larger religions also earn this reputation at times -- it's just that they're more publicly visible, and hence it's more transparent and accountable when it occurs, and perhaps society sees it as more acceptable when everyone is doing it.

By contrast, occult comes from the Latin occultus "hidden, concealed, secret". Occult is concerned with secretive mysteries and esoterica. It can cover ideas like magic, alchemy, ESP, astrology, spiritualism and divination, and of course can overlap with religious practices like reverence, worship and prayer. Many occult schools have cults associated with them (e.g. the Thelemic beliefs of Alistair Crowley, or the Theosophy made popular by Helen Blavatsky), but some are little more than philosophy (for example, schools of alchemical thought), and not all cults have interest in occult mysteries (for example, Jehovah's Witnesses are often described as a cult, and whatever you may think about them, they're about as un-occult as a cult can get. :D)

I hope that may be useful.

Thank you, RuvDraba! That was very useful! :D

I didn't know there were occult schools! Sounds interesting! So, does Hogwarts count as an occult school or is it just a magic school?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:55:37 PM
At 6/30/2016 5:52:33 PM, desmac wrote:
...until the Brexit vote!
When Scotland joins with Ireland
And tugs on Europe's coat!
There'll always be an England
Till Celts all struggle free
From Angles and from Saxons
In true Bronze Age anarchyyyyy!

(Sorry for off-topic, Commonwealth humour from an Antipodean Gypsy Celt. :D)
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:01:33 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:55:37 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Nice poem! It's awesome and descriptive! And I love the rhymes! :)
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:02:59 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:55:37 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Appreciated by a paddy Celt living in Celtic Cymru
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:04:15 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:52:12 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Thank you, RuvDraba! That was very useful! :D
My pleasure, Foodie! I'm still quietly impressed by how a member called Foodiesoul judges a religious food sacrifice by the culinary quality of the food. If you ever started a religion of your own, I suspect my wife would join it.

I didn't know there were occult schools! Sounds interesting! So, does Hogwarts count as an occult school or is it just a magic school?
Hmm. I think they're a magic school, Foodie, because there really aren't any mysteries in the magic they teach -- except the perpetual mystery of why anyone would ride a broomstick in a sports competition without adding a bicycle seat for comfort.

Oh, and then there's the other mystery of why any self-respecting school would let pre-pubescent kids charge around unsupervised with the magical equivalent of automatic hand guns, Schedule I pharmaceuticals and nuclear medicine. But no other mysteries I can think of. :)