Jump to topic:

God and Bridges

illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:50:15 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I have being working on a little metaphor ? for how full of sh*t and useless religion can be and how people just have no f*cking standards.

Once upon a time on some planet existed people, these people had beliefs about the best way to build a bridge. Over time groups of people would form, believing that their bridge building beliefs were correct and everyone else was wrong, because they had evil in their hearts, while they themselves lived in the "truth" of bridge building.......and by the by isn't it just a wonderful coincidence that people just assume their untestable bridge claims are correct, how self serving, but I digress.

Over time various groups with their various bridge building beliefs would form very aggressive and detailed arguments as to why THEIR bridge building beliefs were correct, the others wrong and various counters to various arguments against their bridge building claims. Various bridges building beliefs became dogmatic, they must be accepted as truth.............regardless.

Generation after generation this went on, each generation whether family or society teaching their bridge building to be the truth to the next generation, all the while demonizing the others who did not agree.............cause you know, they be evil.

One day it dawned upon someone, truth of bridge building can't be determined by mere argument, no matter how sincerely and well constructed these beliefs are all we have is argument, which themselves are based on premises, which themselves are based on sub premises, which themselves are based on assertion, etc etc.

What we need is something more, we need test ability, we need demonstration. What if, instead of arguing, we actually put our bridge building beliefs to the test ? what if, we actually build bridges upon these different beliefs ? And base what the way to go is, not on "argument" but rather demonstration, in this case, what beliefs when acted upon build the better bridge ?

I'd like to tell you that the people agreed with this new approach, and from that point on an enlightenment of bridge building ensued, but you see in the real world happy endings are rare. Rather the powers that be, the various people and groups who profited and were empowered by the vast system of bridge building beliefs were not going to let this new approach happen, least the people throw of the shackles of mere faith and dogmatism as told and instructed by them and their various indoctrination infrastructure and embraced this new beliefs based on demonstration approach.

A new law was passed, thou shalt not test they bridge building beliefs, after all, it was a matter of faith the people were told, a matter of the heart, oh and by the way, if you don't believe as I do, well your wrong & evil, so stop being so evil.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:19:15 AM
At 6/30/2016 8:50:15 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
I have being working on a little metaphor ? for how full of sh*t and useless religion can be and how people just have no f*cking standards.

Once upon a time on some planet existed people, these people had beliefs about the best way to build a bridge. Over time groups of people would form, believing that their bridge building beliefs were correct and everyone else was wrong, because they had evil in their hearts, while they themselves lived in the "truth" of bridge building.......and by the by isn't it just a wonderful coincidence that people just assume their untestable bridge claims are correct, how self serving, but I digress.

Over time various groups with their various bridge building beliefs would form very aggressive and detailed arguments as to why THEIR bridge building beliefs were correct, the others wrong and various counters to various arguments against their bridge building claims. Various bridges building beliefs became dogmatic, they must be accepted as truth.............regardless.

Generation after generation this went on, each generation whether family or society teaching their bridge building to be the truth to the next generation, all the while demonizing the others who did not agree.............cause you know, they be evil.

I think you listen too much to chatter, you pay attention to what all the chatter is saying but you never stop to think what does any of this mean TO YOU! FOR YOU, how does it apply to Illegalcombat....not them.

One day it dawned upon someone, truth of bridge building can't be determined by mere argument, no matter how sincerely and well constructed these beliefs are all we have is argument, which themselves are based on premises, which themselves are based on sub premises, which themselves are based on assertion, etc etc.

What we need is something more, we need test ability, we need demonstration. What if, instead of arguing, we actually put our bridge building beliefs to the test ? what if, we actually build bridges upon these different beliefs ? And base what the way to go is, not on "argument" but rather demonstration, in this case, what beliefs when acted upon build the better bridge ?

That's funny, I've been saying this since I got here do you pay attention? when are you going to start applying? first things first.

I'd like to tell you that the people agreed with this new approach, and from that point on an enlightenment of bridge building ensued, but you see in the real world happy endings are rare. Rather the powers that be, the various people and groups who profited and were empowered by the vast system of bridge building beliefs were not going to let this new approach happen, least the people throw of the shackles of mere faith and dogmatism as told and instructed by them and their various indoctrination infrastructure and embraced this new beliefs based on demonstration approach.

It's very hard to demonstrate things to people who have their minds made up, who are led like sheep to believe in materialism and who come to the table with so much baggage it just takes too long to sort it out. It's too bad we can't just each at least get to start afresh here without having to deal with all the straw men, all the falsities and propaganda.

A new law was passed, thou shalt not test they bridge building beliefs, after all, it was a matter of faith the people were told, a matter of the heart, oh and by the way, if you don't believe as I do, well your wrong & evil, so stop being so evil.

Maybe when you stand back and look at all the religious views and various beliefs you can't help but to focus on that one aspect, but this has nothing to do with belief in God. I don't believe in God and think everyone else is wrong, I just share my views about what I learn and what I know to be true. It doesn't matter what anyone else believes if I can share something with you that will benefit you and your soul that is all that matters, that's the only objective. I'm not here to say everyone else is wrong, you need to understand not everyone thinks that way, you just have your focus on it that doesn't mean we all think that way.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:23:24 AM
At 6/30/2016 8:50:15 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

That stupid religion buitl America. Your religion led to Stalin, Hitler, and the Chinese massacre of anyone with a voice. You are welcome.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:43:30 AM
If you people only knew that The New Testament pretty much addresses every problem you have with religion.

"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations" "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," which all concern things which perish with the using"according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh."
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:47:06 AM
But you know, every time an atheist is told "Christianity isn't a religion", they laugh and mock because they think they know better. They just immediately chalk it off as some type of special pleading BS. They can't tell the difference between Christianity and Christian based religions.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 5:32:02 PM
At 7/1/2016 1:43:30 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

If you people only knew that The New Testament pretty much addresses every problem you have with religion.

If only S&T! But that is why the forces in "High Places" have designed society so as to make sure he and others like him, never know what the Bible says. It poisons them even before they read it so that even when they do read it, it's with those silly blinders on.

Most young Americans today have gotten their Biblical knowledge from TV progs, atheist websites, and quips from funny uneducated preachers. They think they know Christianity, when in fact they don't.

The sad truth is that some people are beyond us, only Jesus can now bring them back. And such people will become more and more numerous. I take heart in what Jesus said, "It is finished. I have overcome the world"
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:31:44 PM
May I suggest an alternative, a little closer to the truth

One day, the all-powerful creator of the world built a bridge for everyone. This man knew how the world was made, runs physics, and was therefore qualified above all else to build a bridge. He didn't just give them a blueprint, he actually built a bridge, and he got his son to walk back and forth on it a few times to demonstrate its safety.

But the people didn't listen, they continued building their own bridges to get across, and some even decided that there was no river, and so no point crossing.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11