Jump to topic:

Catholic Answers

Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:46:39 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
This is a continuation of my previous topic.

I am a Catholic, and any questions about faith, Catholic life or otherwise are welcome as long as they are respectful.
A M D G

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:00:11 PM
At 7/1/2016 1:46:39 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:

I am a Catholic, and any questions about faith, Catholic life or otherwise are welcome as long as they are respectful.
You do understand that your limited knowledge of Catholicism is detrimental to your ability to maintain this thread?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:09:35 PM
In an answer to DanMGTOW's question:

what convinced you that your god is real?

I was born into Catholicism, and have been a Catholic my entire life. I often hear about how children born into a religion are "brainwashed" or "unable to think independently" or something similar. This is simply not true. Granted, we are more likely to follow that religion into which we were born than those who were not. But I have found the same goes for children who were born to parents who "don't want their children to be forced into religion." I have met others who were born into this kind of family, and they, like we who were born into Catholicism, are very likely to follow the path their parents took. It is only natural that as children we look to our parents for guiding principles. However, I have found that this is more so the case with Catholics than with non-Catholics.

Regarding how I personally came to know the Christian God as my God, there are many reasons for this. Some are intellectual and some more personal. My father was born into a non-Christian family, his mother being a non-practicing Jew and his father a non-practicing but baptized Christian (but not a Catholic). My father spent his childhood a practical atheist. He found Christ through his religious studies in college. Religious studies were his major, and in my father's words, "All the other religions kept having problems, but I started to realize a pattern. The Catholics were always right! There'd be this big problem between different religions, and time and time again, the Catholic Church would be right. So, I started to wonder, who are these Catholic people?" As you can probably see, my father was converted largely through intellectual appeal. My father is now a devout Catholic and one of the most loving and caring people I know, while also being one of the smartest people I know. He debated on a national level in high school, is fluent in three languages, and in addition made it to the national level in Original Oratory.

My family is, then, one of the main reasons I continue to follow the Catholic teachings. I find that, time and time again, the arguments put forth by atheists against Catholicism are dispelled either by my family or by my circle of friends. I have heard or read claims that Catholics are "indoctrinated" or taught that science is wrong or some equally slighting claim against our intelligence. One particularly audacious claim I know of is that the Catholic church keeps her followers ignorant so that they can be controlled.

My family is a good way to refute these claims, as my eldest sister alone was a National Merit Scholar, won debate trophies in high school, and is fluent in Greek, Latin, Spanish, and is currently studying German and Polish at a university. My elder brother received multiple honors at science fairs and is going to be participating in an optics internship this summer. I would hardly call this ignorant.

Various Catholic authors, including Chris Kaczor, Dr. Scott Hahn, and Bishop Robert Barron also contribute to the intellectual appeal of Catholicism. Furthermore, the lucid arguments of the Doctors of the Church, particularly St. Thomas Aquinas, are extremely convincing.

And then there is the emotional appeal. Few other faiths in the world have such a loving God as their God. As Catholics, we believe we are created by Him to someday dwell with Him. This is more than most religions can claim. Catholic teachings appeal to the very heart of man. And then there is the intimacy of the Eucharist. Only one other religion has the Eucharist, and it is one which split off from the Catholics. The Orthodox.

Only last year or so, I was doubting my faith during Adoration, and praying that God would give me more faith. My faith has been strengthened through prayer, frequent sacraments, and spiritual reading. I have no doubt God answers our prayers. One needs only to look to the many success stories of the St. Josemaria Prayer to be convinced of this - and this is only one prayer we are talking about.

I could go on, but as time is running short - I will leave you with this. I hope it shall suffice.
A M D G

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:12:50 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:00:11 PM, bulproof wrote:

You do understand that your limited knowledge of Catholicism is detrimental to your ability to maintain this thread?

It might, and I may be audacious in thinking I can, but the fact is that I actually do know more about Catholicism than most Catholic adults. Most definitely not most Catholic theologians, but I do not think my knowledge of Catholicism is insufficient. However, as with all Catholic information without an Imprimatur, it should not be construed as official teaching of the Catholic Church (since we, unlike most other world faiths, have a consistent body of teachings everyone must adhere to.)
A M D G

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:21:09 PM

lmao. "Don't open a thread unless you have limitless knowledge of the subject you want to discuss"
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:22:52 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:08:41 PM, bulproof wrote:
Tell me about hell. TIA

What do you wish to know about hell?

In general, hell was the jail created for the fallen angels. Contrary to popular belief, hell was not created for humans. When Adam and Eve took the same road as the devils, they sent themselves to hell lest they repented. God does not send anyone to hell; they send themselves.

Many say the idea of hell would be contradictory to a Christian God's loving nature. Just the opposite is true. Because God loves us, he knows without the fear of hell there would be little deterrent to sin. If we all knew we were going to heaven regardless of how we behaved, why should we care how we behave? Some would, no doubt, behave well, but many people would see no reason to not sin.

Catholic theologians agree that hell is a physical place; however, the main suffering of hell is not physical torture, but the eternal separation from our loving God who made us to join Him in heaven.

Furthermore, God does not send us to hell. We send ourselves, by willfully separating ourselves from His love [CCC 1037]. He who has willfully separated himself from God, and has not repented before his death, sentences himself to an eternity in hell. Since he has willfully chosen to be away from God, and God created us with free will, and forcing us to go to heaven would be an interference with free will, God cannot send us to heaven when we have willfully chosen to be separated from Him.
A M D G

Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:31:11 PM
In an answer to PetersSmith's question:

Why is Catholicism called Catholicism?

This is a great question. Why, indeed, do we cal ourselves Catholics, when the name Catholic is found nowhere in the Bible? The answer is that it was not necessary to use back then. Christianity would suffice, because there were no major heresies at the time to distinguish it from. However, there were splinter groups, and this is where the word "Catholic" came from.

The word Catholic comes from the Greek katholikos, meaning "universal." The early Christians, therefore, used the word "Catholic" to describe the Church, because it was the first in history to receive the call to "Go, and make disciples of all nations." It was not the Mayan religion, or the Aztec religion, or even the Roman religion, or the Israeli religion (in the case of Judaism), but, in fact, the world religion. The word "Catholic" can be found as early as the early second century A.D., in the writings of St. Ignatius of Antioch, before any of the major heresies resulting in modern-day splinter religions occurred. Once heretical groups had splintered off, it was necessary to use the word Catholic in order to distinguish from the Orthodox Christians, or the Protestant Christians.
A M D G

Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:33:14 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:21:09 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

lmao. "Don't open a thread unless you have limitless knowledge of the subject you want to discuss"

I do not think my limited knowledge would be as much of a hindrance to me continuing the topic as the rapid posting of questions which is cluttering up my notifications and leaving little time for me to respond to my debates.

Indeed, I would not open a topic about Seventh-Day Adventism, since I am not an SDA.
A M D G

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:42:09 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:33:14 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:
At 7/1/2016 2:21:09 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I do not think my limited knowledge would be as much of a hindrance to me continuing the topic as the rapid posting of questions which is cluttering up my notifications and leaving little time for me to respond to my debates.

Indeed, I would not open a topic about Seventh-Day Adventism, since I am not an SDA.

You're doing a great job. I'm glad we have another enthusiastic catholic on the site. As they say, Deus Vult
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 2:54:38 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:22:52 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:
At 7/1/2016 2:08:41 PM, bulproof wrote:
Tell me about hell. TIA

What do you wish to know about hell?

In general, hell was the jail created for the fallen angels. Contrary to popular belief, hell was not created for humans. When Adam and Eve took the same road as the devils, they sent themselves to hell lest they repented. God does not send anyone to hell; they send themselves.
Well that indoctrination has taken root, the Vatican will be happy.
Many say the idea of hell would be contradictory to a Christian God's loving nature. Just the opposite is true. Because God loves us, he knows without the fear of hell there would be little deterrent to sin. If we all knew we were going to heaven regardless of how we behaved, why should we care how we behave? Some would, no doubt, behave well, but many people would see no reason to not sin.
So fear is your god's demonstration of his perfect love?
Surely if he required love from his creations he could just prove that he loves them rather than threatening them.
Would you love the kidnapper who threatens you to love him?

Catholic theologians agree that hell is a physical place; however, the main suffering of hell is not physical torture, but the eternal separation from our loving God who made us to join Him in heaven.
Is that the behaviour you would expect from a god who is LOVE?
Furthermore, God does not send us to hell. We send ourselves, by willfully separating ourselves from His love [CCC 1037]. He who has willfully separated himself from God, and has not repented before his death, sentences himself to an eternity in hell. Since he has willfully chosen to be away from God, and God created us with free will, and forcing us to go to heaven would be an interference with free will, God cannot send us to heaven when we have willfully chosen to be separated from Him.
Do you have any idea of what love is?
Read the bible and provide just one demonstration of god's love in that book. I don't want claims of his love, I want a demonstration.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:11:46 PM
It is very brave for a 13 year old young lady to attempt to answer all questions on the catholic church. Much respect to you.
Do you have diocesan approval for this undertaking?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:32:33 PM

Your thoughts on the fact that they had to put extra reinforced gauze in between the two areas in the confession booth to stop the priests from attacking the sister's , and other women . ?

And if these confession booths work. We should get coin operated ones in shopping centers everywhere. Don't you think ?
Well as long as we can keep the priests at a safe distance from fellow shoppers.
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:56:39 PM
In an answer to Axon85's question:

How would you describe the current Catholic position regarding hell as well as terms of salvation?

I believe I answered the first part of your question in my response to bulproof's question about hell. If not, please ask a more specific question and I will elaborate.

Regarding terms of salvation, we believe one must be validly baptized ("Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven" -John 3:5) and without mortal sin at the time of death in order to enter Heaven. However, if one has not been baptized not through his own fault, he can be saved through what is called baptism of blood or baptism of desire. Baptism of blood is martyrdom for the Christian faith without being sacramentally baptized. Baptism of desire is that which is intended, but not physically achieved. In both instances, the person receives the fruits of the sacrament of baptism, even though he has not been sacramentally baptized.

Regarding the other qualification, to be free from mortal sin, one must have received valid absolution for this sin. If no priest is available, again, a true act of perfect contrition suffices.
A M D G

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:05:15 PM
At 7/1/2016 2:12:50 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:

It might, and I may be audacious in thinking I can, but the fact is that I actually do know more about Catholicism than most Catholic adults. Most definitely not most Catholic theologians, but I do not think my knowledge of Catholicism is insufficient. However, as with all Catholic information without an Imprimatur, it should not be construed as official teaching of the Catholic Church (since we, unlike most other world faiths, have a consistent body of teachings everyone must adhere to.)

I'm sure you will do fine. Good luck to you!
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:14:49 PM
At 7/1/2016 3:56:39 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:
In an answer to Axon85's question:

How would you describe the current Catholic position regarding hell as well as terms of salvation?

I believe I answered the first part of your question in my response to bulproof's question about hell. If not, please ask a more specific question and I will elaborate.

Regarding terms of salvation, we believe one must be validly baptized ("Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven" -John 3:5) and without mortal sin at the time of death in order to enter Heaven. However, if one has not been baptized not through his own fault, he can be saved through what is called baptism of blood or baptism of desire. Baptism of blood is martyrdom for the Christian faith without being sacramentally baptized. Baptism of desire is that which is intended, but not physically achieved. In both instances, the person receives the fruits of the sacrament of baptism, even though he has not been sacramentally baptized.

Regarding the other qualification, to be free from mortal sin, one must have received valid absolution for this sin. If no priest is available, again, a true act of perfect contrition suffices.
Yeah but you haven't responded to my responses.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 4:29:45 PM
You would be doing everyone in this forum a huge favor if you changed your age to 30 and told us all you where lying on your profile.
It's just that we are all so very moral in this forum .

Do you think you might be able to do this. ?
If you don't we can't abuse and belittle you for your comments.
And that's unfair. Anyway.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:00:03 PM
You didn't need to restart the thread, RF. It's fine to have two threads with the same title and topic, and Dspjk5's thread is two years old.

But if you had to restart it, I think it would've been funniest to have the threads 'Ask a Catholic' and 'Ask a Different Catholic'. :) As it stands, now you've got 'Catholic Answers', does that make Dspjk5's thread 'Catholic Guesses?' :D
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:10:46 PM
At 7/1/2016 4:29:45 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
You would be doing everyone in this forum a huge favor if you changed your age to 30 and told us all you where lying on your profile.
It's just that we are all so very moral in this forum .

Do you think you might be able to do this. ?
If you don't we can't abuse and belittle you for your comments.
And that's unfair. Anyway.

You flatter me. Do you really think I am 30 years old? That's the best compliment I've gotten in a long time! Thank you.
A M D G

Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:13:27 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:00:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
You didn't need to restart the thread, RF. It's fine to have two threads with the same title and topic, and Dspjk5's thread is two years old.

But if you had to restart it, I think it would've been funniest to have the threads 'Ask a Catholic' and 'Ask a Different Catholic'. :) As it stands, now you've got 'Catholic Answers', does that make Dspjk5's thread 'Catholic Guesses?' :D

dsjpk5 and I are merging topics. Thank you for being so civil and kind, Ruv.

Please send inquiries to www.debate.org/forums/religion/topic/42597/40/

If you would like me personally to answer your question, private messages are welcome. Again, please keep things respectful.
A M D G

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:18:52 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:13:27 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:

If you would like me personally to answer your question, private messages are welcome. Again, please keep things respectful.

Does the Society of Jesus approve of your use of their motto?
Racingfan53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:19:46 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:18:52 PM, desmac wrote:

Does the Society of Jesus approve of your use of their motto?

Again, please private message me, or post in the other topic.
A M D G

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:31:24 PM

That sounds like a great idea, RF. Good luck to you both with the merged and invigorated thread. :) I don't have more questions myself but might drop in from time to time to read the Q&A. Meanwhile, if you'd ever like to ask me anything, please feel free. At my age, I don't expect everyone to be civil to me all the time, but don't doubt you would be anyway.

By the way, you're not the only young teen member we have, though you're the only RC-identified member your age I know of here. Member SpiritandTruth is fourteen, and there may be others. I think religious faith cannot be easy in the world we have, and can only imagine it must be difficult being young and passionate about religion when the world is so divided and increasingly jaded about it.

I disagree with S&T about many things, but think he's brave coming here and arguing his views. And you are too. :)
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 8:00:35 PM

I have a question about something I once heard. I heard that Heaven is within me, but where? Is this actually true? I keep closing my eyes trying to imagine where it would be. On a separate note, why does the Vatican have a statue of the world's largest pinecone? Seems like a silly waste of space that could be better used to stack more bricks of gold that's cluttering up the basement. Last time I was there u kept tripping over diamonds and rubies and jewels of all sorts. Someday I hope to be in a position to donate some gold-plated shelving to tidy up that mess of wealth. But what about that pinecone? What do we do with that?
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 8:16:15 PM

But if you had to restart it, I think it would've been funniest to have the threads 'Ask a Catholic' and 'Ask a Different Catholic'. :)

I like that idea!

As it stands, now you've got 'Catholic Answers', does that make Dspjk5's thread 'Catholic Guesses?' :D

Very funny! And to answer your question... maybe
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 9:25:28 PM
At 7/1/2016 8:16:15 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

But if you had to restart it, I think it would've been funniest to have the threads 'Ask a Catholic' and 'Ask a Different Catholic'. :)

I like that idea!

As it stands, now you've got 'Catholic Answers', does that make Dspjk5's thread 'Catholic Guesses?' :D

Good luck with your consolidated thread, Dsjpk. :)
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 9:33:08 PM
At 7/1/2016 9:25:28 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I like that idea!

Thank you for the kind words, Ruv!
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 9:40:58 PM
At 7/1/2016 9:33:08 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 7/1/2016 9:25:28 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I like that idea!

Thank you for the kind words, Ruv!

Actually, I asked RF a question that I felt was unfair to ask a young teen, and which I withdrew. I'll post it for your reflection and comment in the consolidated thread. Your answer would of course be welcome.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 11:31:10 AM
At 7/1/2016 2:31:11 PM, Racingfan53 wrote:
In an answer to PetersSmith's question:

Why is Catholicism called Catholicism?

This is a great question. Why, indeed, do we cal ourselves Catholics, when the name Catholic is found nowhere in the Bible? The answer is that it was not necessary to use back then. Christianity would suffice, because there were no major heresies at the time to distinguish it from. However, there were splinter groups, and this is where the word "Catholic" came from.

The word Catholic comes from the Greek katholikos, meaning "universal." The early Christians, therefore, used the word "Catholic" to describe the Church, because it was the first in history to receive the call to "Go, and make disciples of all nations." It was not the Mayan religion, or the Aztec religion, or even the Roman religion, or the Israeli religion (in the case of Judaism), but, in fact, the world religion. The word "Catholic" can be found as early as the early second century A.D., in the writings of St. Ignatius of Antioch, before any of the major heresies resulting in modern-day splinter religions occurred. Once heretical groups had splintered off, it was necessary to use the word Catholic in order to distinguish from the Orthodox Christians, or the Protestant Christians.

Orthodox christians are heretics?