Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

How Does Voodoo Work?

Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:30:19 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Short answer, it doesn't work. Do as much voodoo as you want.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:32:04 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:30:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Short answer, it doesn't work. Do as much voodoo as you want.

Thanks but I'm never going to do voodoo, ever! It's just too dangerous and there are too many risks involved! Besides, it wouldn't really be fair for someone to get harmed without knowing how they got harmed.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:35:33 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:32:04 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:30:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Short answer, it doesn't work. Do as much voodoo as you want.

Thanks but I'm never going to do voodoo, ever! It's just too dangerous and there are too many risks involved! Besides, it wouldn't really be fair for someone to get harmed without knowing how they got harmed.

Voodoo is nothing but irrational superstitions. No one will ever get harmed. You would harm more people waving a feather around.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:37:15 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:35:33 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:32:04 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:30:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Short answer, it doesn't work. Do as much voodoo as you want.

Thanks but I'm never going to do voodoo, ever! It's just too dangerous and there are too many risks involved! Besides, it wouldn't really be fair for someone to get harmed without knowing how they got harmed.

Voodoo is nothing but irrational superstitions. No one will ever get harmed. You would harm more people waving a feather around.

Lol, I don't see how waving a feather would cause harm to anyone. A feather is so soft and innocent. A voodoo doll is not.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:44:54 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:37:15 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:35:33 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:32:04 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:30:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Short answer, it doesn't work. Do as much voodoo as you want.

Thanks but I'm never going to do voodoo, ever! It's just too dangerous and there are too many risks involved! Besides, it wouldn't really be fair for someone to get harmed without knowing how they got harmed.

Voodoo is nothing but irrational superstitions. No one will ever get harmed. You would harm more people waving a feather around.

Lol, I don't see how waving a feather would cause harm to anyone.

Yes, just like voodoo will cause no harm to anyone. Only a small child would believe such nonsense.

A feather is so soft and innocent. A voodoo doll is not.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 7:09:28 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Foodie, Voodoo is actually a myth made up by one group (French colonists and later, American neighbours) about another group (West African Haitian slaves) based on ignorance about their beliefs -- a myth that has become popular more broadly thanks to pulp stories from the early 20th century, and Hollywood movies.

Often what happens when one culture colonises another is that their religions merge -- syncretise. The conquering culture usually creates the over-arching metaphysics, while the conquered culture cross-breeds their myths and tucks them away among the myths of their conquerors.

That happened with Roman Catholicism when Christianity was brought to the pagan Roman empire. Pagan ceremonies got renamed to Christian ones (Yule and Oestrus, for example); pagan gods and heroes became Christian saints. St. Demetrios, St. Aphrodite, St. Nicholas, St. Martin, St. Cyrinus, St. Lawrence, and St. Venera are all pagan gods that got Christianised.

When the French were colonising the Caribbean, their slaves principally came from West Africa. In Africa they were polytheists, but in the Caribbean they were forcibly converted to Christianity and their beliefs were driven underground.

Haitian Vodou (sometimes Vodun or Vodoun) believes in a supreme creator called Bondye (from French Le Bon Dieu -- the Good God), and servant spirits called loa. It's the loa who interact with worshipers -- Bondye never does. The loa represent fragments of African traditions, and feature Papa Legba -- guardian of the crossroads, Simbi -- a spirit of rain and magic, Kouzin Zaka -- agriculture. Each Roman Catholic saint is also a loa, and in some complex way I don't understand the loa are also grouped into families with the same surname, and the families grouped into nations -- so there are a lot of loa and to me they look much like tribes. But they all do Bondye's will and if you observe the taboos and rituals, they can come and help you.

Vodou has its own morality, worship, taboos, rituals, male and female priests, its own distinct idea of soul (called the Big Good Angel and the Little Good Angel) -- it's a full cultural religion. However the part that captured white imagination is the world of the bokor -- magicians who could help you with beneficial or harmful magics.

I don't know what specific beliefs the bokor have about 'voodoo dolls', but worldwide the idea that sympathetic magics can affect people is popular. A sympathetic magic is when you take a possession or part of another person and use it to stand proxy for the person. So a symbolic good bestowed on the symbol becomes an actual good bestowed on the person. A symbolic harm becomes an actual harm. This is a really common belief -- it's ancient, and crops up everywhere -- the stone-age equivalent of throwing darts at a dartboard with your boss's face on it.

The way Vodou soul works is that the Big Good Angel (gros bon ange) is responsible for your biology, while the Little Good Angel (ti bon ange) is the source of your personality, character and will. So I imagine (though I haven't researched it) that some bokors believe you can use magic to harm the ti bon ange while keeping the gros bon ange and thus make a victim suggestible, or a slave.

But as I understand it, zombies and voodoo dolls aren't part of Vodou. They're bokor stuff, and a lot of Vodou priests don't recognise it, any more than a Roman Catholic priest would recognise New Age crystals or astrology. :)

I hope that might be useful. :)
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 7:16:39 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 7:09:28 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?

Foodie, Voodoo is actually a myth made up by one group (French colonists and later, American neighbours) about another group (West African Haitian slaves) based on ignorance about their beliefs -- a myth that has become popular more broadly thanks to pulp stories from the early 20th century, and Hollywood movies.

Often what happens when one culture colonises another is that their religions merge -- syncretise. The conquering culture usually creates the over-arching metaphysics, while the conquered culture cross-breeds their myths and tucks them away among the myths of their conquerors.

That happened with Roman Catholicism when Christianity was brought to the pagan Roman empire. Pagan ceremonies got renamed to Christian ones (Yule and Oestrus, for example); pagan gods and heroes became Christian saints. St. Demetrios, St. Aphrodite, St. Nicholas, St. Martin, St. Cyrinus, St. Lawrence, and St. Venera are all pagan gods that got Christianised.

When the French were colonising the Caribbean, their slaves principally came from West Africa. In Africa they were polytheists, but in the Caribbean they were forcibly converted to Christianity and their beliefs were driven underground.

Haitian Vodou (sometimes Vodun or Vodoun) believes in a supreme creator called Bondye (from French Le Bon Dieu -- the Good God), and servant spirits called loa. It's the loa who interact with worshipers -- Bondye never does. The loa represent fragments of African traditions, and feature Papa Legba -- guardian of the crossroads, Simbi -- a spirit of rain and magic, Kouzin Zaka -- agriculture. Each Roman Catholic saint is also a loa, and in some complex way I don't understand the loa are also grouped into families with the same surname, and the families grouped into nations -- so there are a lot of loa and to me they look much like tribes. But they all do Bondye's will and if you observe the taboos and rituals, they can come and help you.

Vodou has its own morality, worship, taboos, rituals, male and female priests, its own distinct idea of soul (called the Big Good Angel and the Little Good Angel) -- it's a full cultural religion. However the part that captured white imagination is the world of the bokor -- magicians who could help you with beneficial or harmful magics.

I don't know what specific beliefs the bokor have about 'voodoo dolls', but worldwide the idea that sympathetic magics can affect people is popular. A sympathetic magic is when you take a possession or part of another person and use it to stand proxy for the person. So a symbolic good bestowed on the symbol becomes an actual good bestowed on the person. A symbolic harm becomes an actual harm. This is a really common belief -- it's ancient, and crops up everywhere -- the stone-age equivalent of throwing darts at a dartboard with your boss's face on it.

The way Vodou soul works is that the Big Good Angel (gros bon ange) is responsible for your biology, while the Little Good Angel (ti bon ange) is the source of your personality, character and will. So I imagine (though I haven't researched it) that some bokors believe you can use magic to harm the ti bon ange while keeping the gros bon ange and thus make a victim suggestible, or a slave.

But as I understand it, zombies and voodoo dolls aren't part of Vodou. They're bokor stuff, and a lot of Vodou priests don't recognise it, any more than a Roman Catholic priest would recognise New Age crystals or astrology. :)

I hope that might be useful. :)

Thank you, RuvDraba. That was very useful and also very interesting too! :)

I saw American Horror Story: Coven which had a lot of voodoo scenes of witches inflicting harm on people through themselves, so that's why I thought voodoo dolls could actually cause harm on people.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 7:22:12 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

Then tell them before you do it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:50:10 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
You know who would know is St John the Conqueror
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:56:45 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/1/2016 6:26:47 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
NO, NO, and NO, I do not want to use voodoo in any way or form! I would NEVER wish to harm anyone unsuspectingly.

I just want to know how voodoo works. How is it that people can actually make a voodoo doll of someone and actually impose harm on that person through the voodoo doll by sticking pins into the voodoo doll? That has always creeped me out!

They attempt to manipulate the spiritual first, the "dolls" are just symbolic. Any real transaction is primarily spiritual. There unfortunately are dark forces and good forces, both physical and spiritual. Whether or not any harm is being done is not primarily decided by the human.

And also, how is voodoo considered a religion when there aren't really any deities that are worshiped in the voodoo religion?