Jump to topic:

Christianity and responsibility

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 9:49:24 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At least one christian on ddo thinks that wanting to take respsponibility for our own actions is prideful, and that our slates should be wiped clean in jesus' forgiveness.

I replied that we SHOULD feel guilty for our mistakes, and that that is how we learn from our mistakes in order to become better people.

Am i right or am i wrong?
Shawn_Hartnell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 9:56:43 PM
At 7/2/2016 9:49:24 PM, janesix wrote:
At least one christian on ddo thinks that wanting to take respsponibility for our own actions is prideful, and that our slates should be wiped clean in jesus' forgiveness.

I replied that we SHOULD feel guilty for our mistakes, and that that is how we learn from our mistakes in order to become better people.

What's your standard of right and wrong?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:01:09 PM
At 7/2/2016 9:56:43 PM, Shawn_Hartnell wrote:

In this case, right or wrong means either correct or incorrect. The question is whether we should take responsibility for our actions and mistakes. Do you agree or disagree?
Shawn_Hartnell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:01:53 PM
At 7/2/2016 10:01:09 PM, janesix wrote:

In this case, right or wrong means either correct or incorrect. The question is whether we should take responsibility for our actions and mistakes. Do you agree or disagree?

According to who?
Shawn_Hartnell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:04:31 PM
I may be misled by the title of this post. Is this to be taken from a Christian point of view or just a general opinion? If general, why include the bit about Christianity?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:07:40 PM
At 7/2/2016 10:01:53 PM, Shawn_Hartnell wrote:

According to who?

According to you.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:09:42 PM

Then chalk it up to one person, not all of us are ignorant. But thanks for distinguishing that. Most of the values in Christianity should be obvious from reading the Gospels and epistles...therefore we know we take responsibility for our actions....

Slates being wiped clean does not pardon sin, it pardons what was done.

Do we know what repentance means? you are correct, that means to feel guilty for what we have done and turn from it.....so any other view is compromised, I did not see the discussion but I agree with you.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:10:06 PM
At 7/2/2016 10:04:31 PM, Shawn_Hartnell wrote:
I may be misled by the title of this post. Is this to be taken from a Christian point of view or just a general opinion? If general, why include the bit about Christianity?

Thats the whole point. Im trying to figure out if this is a christian belief, or just the belief of one particular christian.
Shawn_Hartnell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:11:34 PM
At 7/2/2016 10:07:40 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/2/2016 10:01:53 PM, Shawn_Hartnell wrote:

It's entirely possible to learn from your mistakes without the guilt. Failing to learn from your mistakes make stupid.

On the other hand, I can see the Christian's from their perspective.
Shawn_Hartnell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 10:16:45 PM
At 7/2/2016 10:10:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 7/2/2016 10:04:31 PM, Shawn_Hartnell wrote:

Thats the whole point. Im trying to figure out if this is a christian belief, or just the belief of one particular christian.

I don't think the Christian is speaking in an absolute ethical terms like you seem to be taking it.