Jump to topic:

Spiritual and Religious

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:00:24 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
What's the difference between being spiritual and being religious? They both sound pretty similar to me!
Quintilian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:09:50 PM
The people who say, "I'm spiritual but not religious," acknowledge some sort of supernatural power in the world, but without the formalized dogma of organized religion. They don't have a set of principles of faith that they follow.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:12:42 PM
At 7/3/2016 6:00:24 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
What's the difference between being spiritual and being religious? They both sound pretty similar to me!

"Being spiritual" means to abide in God, to be religious simply means to hold a particular religious view. One is a lifestyle, the other a label.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:14:15 PM
At 7/3/2016 6:12:42 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

"Being spiritual" means to abide in God, to be religious simply means to hold a particular religious view. One is a lifestyle, the other a label.

Okay. I get it now. Thanks for explaining! :)
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:17:09 PM
At 7/3/2016 6:09:50 PM, Quintilian wrote:
The people who say, "I'm spiritual but not religious," acknowledge some sort of supernatural power in the world, but without the formalized dogma of organized religion. They don't have a set of principles of faith that they follow.

Okay. So basically people who are spiritual but not religious acknowledge that a supernatural power exists but without the principle of religion. So, these people are atheists in a sense.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:35:39 PM
Personally, when I think of "spiritual", to me it means that you acknowledge the fact that there are spiritual forces.

A lot of atheists are materialists, so they don't believe that spirits exist. Or at least, they say this.. A lot of them are in reality practitioners of magic, and their magic tends to be more effective when the people they use it on are ignorant.

Magic is the utilization of belief as a tool.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 6:52:16 PM

Spiritual is a meaningless word, it defines nothing other than the notions conceived within the imaginations of believers.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:04:49 PM
At 7/3/2016 6:17:09 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

Okay. So basically people who are spiritual but not religious acknowledge that a supernatural power exists but without the principle of religion. So, these people are atheists in a sense.

Sorry, but it seems this is backwards, not sure if the person realized that. To be religious means to hold a belief, to be spiritual means to apply that belief and abide in it.
WIKI spirituality-meaning of spirituality is a process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man, the image of God. To accomplish this, the re-formation is oriented at a mold, which represents the original shape.

In other words spirituality is when we get things done, it's active. Whereas religious believing is dormant.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:25:20 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:14:52 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs in action.

That's much better, you're finally getting away from your hallucinations and focusing on more realistic definitions. Well done.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:36:35 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:25:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That's much better, you're finally getting away from your hallucinations and focusing on more realistic definitions. Well done.

My definitions have always been realistic. When did I ever focus on "hallucinations"?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:45:40 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:36:35 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

My definitions have always been realistic.

No, they haven't.

When did I ever focus on "hallucinations"?

Every time you claim to see spirits or talk about spirituality, they're just hallucinations.
Quintilian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:46:46 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:04:49 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Sorry, but it seems this is backwards, not sure if the person realized that. To be religious means to hold a belief, to be spiritual means to apply that belief and abide in it.
WIKI spirituality-meaning of spirituality is a process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man, the image of God. To accomplish this, the re-formation is oriented at a mold, which represents the original shape.

In other words spirituality is when we get things done, it's active. Whereas religious believing is dormant.

lmao, what justification do you have for the relevant distinction as "active versus dormant"? People who label themselves religious are often active within their religion; people who label themselves "spiritual" and divorce themselves from religion are often dormant within their own "spirituality." Almost universally, the phrase "spiritual but not religious" refers to an effort to remove formalized dogma from one's life. The idea that it's about "activity versus dormancy" is unjustifiable nonsense.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:47:33 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:45:40 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, they haven't.

Every time you claim to see spirits or talk about spirituality, they're just hallucinations.

Baseless assertion, for someone who parades himself as an authority you sure make useless posts.
Quintilian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:49:17 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:46:46 PM, Quintilian wrote:

lmao, what justification do you have for the relevant distinction as "active versus dormant"? People who label themselves religious are often active within their religion; people who label themselves "spiritual" and divorce themselves from religion are often dormant within their own "spirituality." Almost universally, the phrase "spiritual but not religious" refers to an effort to remove formalized dogma from one's life. The idea that it's about "activity versus dormancy" is unjustifiable nonsense.

Note that the OP was most likely referring to the idea of "spirituality" found in the common phrase "spiritual but not religious"
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:54:46 PM

Both work together, as you should well know, belief without action means it's dormant. Spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs in action, do you not know there are dormant believers? people who possess religious beliefs but do not exercise them? of course, that goes without saying.
"People who label themselves religious are often active within their religion"....that's called spirituality, as I already stated.
What spiritual person has divorced themselves from their beliefs? that's not coherent.

But why make a rude post? what did say that would turn you into a jerk? this is simple stuff.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:56:52 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:47:33 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

No, they haven't.

Baseless assertion, for someone who parades himself as an authority you sure make useless posts.

Your posts are the evidence of a mental disorder. Either that, or you are just lying. which is it?
Quintilian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 8:00:05 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:54:46 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Both work together, as you should well know, belief without action means it's dormant. Spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs in action, do you not know there are dormant believers? people who possess religious beliefs but do not exercise them? of course, that goes without saying.

I'm saying your use of the word "spirituality" to refer to application of religious principle is misleading and unjustifiable. In the sense that we're discussing -- i.e., in context of the phrase "spiritual but not religious" -- that idea is incoherent. It's not that these people have "dormant" religious beliefs. They wish to divorce themselves from any formalized dogma.

"People who label themselves religious are often active within their religion"....that's called spirituality, as I already stated.
What spiritual person has divorced themselves from their beliefs? that's not coherent.

But why make a rude post? what did say that would turn you into a jerk? this is simple stuff.

Again, I don't think you're understanding the way in which "spiritual" and "religious" are being used here. They're not being used as a complement to one another, e.g., as active and passive. In the way they're being used, they're considered irreconcilably distinct: "spiritual but NOT religious," not both.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 8:15:16 PM
DICTIONARY DOT COM
Spiritual
adjective
1.of, relating to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
2.of or relating to the spirit or soul, as distinguished from the physical nature:
a spiritual approach to life.
3.closely akin in interests, attitude, outlook, etc.:
the professor's spiritual heir in linguistics.
4.of or relating to spirits or to spiritualists; supernatural or spiritualistic.
5.characterized by or suggesting predominance of the spirit; ethereal or delicately refined:
She is more of a spiritual type than her rowdy brother.
6.of or relating to the spirit as the seat of the moral or religious nature.
7.of or relating to sacred things or matters; religious; devotional; sacred.

Religious
adjective
1.of, relating to, or concerned with religion :
a religious holiday.
2.imbued with or exhibiting religion; pious; devout; godly:
a religious man.
3.scrupulously faithful; conscientious:
religious care.
4.pertaining to or connected with a monastic or religious order.
5.appropriate to religion or to sacred rites or observances.
noun, plural religious.
6.a member of a religious order, congregation, etc.; a monk, friar, or nun.
7.the religious,

Spiritual 1.of, relating to, or consisting of spirit; incorporeal.
Religious 1.of, relating to, or concerned with religion :
a religious holiday.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 9:32:51 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:56:52 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, they haven't.

Your posts are the evidence of a mental disorder. Either that, or you are just lying. which is it?

Your posts are the evidence of a mental disorder (inability to communicate sensibly, harassment, stalking, anger, assertions, belligerent attacks, unable to comprehend simple concepts, unable to to show compassion/empathy), which I have not been the only one to realize this. Either that or you just love to lie, not only lie but accuse anyone of lying that does not agree with your atheism.
If you are not prescribed medication I would be surprised.
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 9:36:01 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:56:52 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Or option #3, which would be correct:
"He is saying the truth"

While spirits are better off not showing themselves in modern times, as this would hinder materialism, they do still exist, and I know some, really sensible people, who have had experiences with them.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 9:36:06 PM
At 7/3/2016 8:00:05 PM, Quintilian wrote:

I'm saying your use of the word "spirituality" to refer to application of religious principle is misleading and unjustifiable. In the sense that we're discussing -- i.e., in context of the phrase "spiritual but not religious" -- that idea is incoherent. It's not that these people have "dormant" religious beliefs. They wish to divorce themselves from any formalized dogma.

So everyone who has religious beliefs are active in them? so then you disagree with Jesus??

Again, I don't think you're understanding the way in which "spiritual" and "religious" are being used here. They're not being used as a complement to one another, e.g., as active and passive. In the way they're being used, they're considered irreconcilably distinct: "spiritual but NOT religious," not both.

Maybe you don't understand the way I'm using the terms? the two go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other. Religion is dead without spirituality.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 9:42:44 PM
At 7/3/2016 9:36:06 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

So everyone who has religious beliefs are active in them? so then you disagree with Jesus??

Maybe you don't understand the way I'm using the terms? the two go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other. Religion is dead without spirituality.

Did the pharisees and sadducees hold religious beliefs? yet they recognized not the spirit??? how is that possible?? because they had not spirituality, only religious beliefs.
Quintilian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 12:59:26 AM
At 7/3/2016 9:36:06 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

No, of course that's not what I'm saying. That'd be stupid. I'm saying that you can't characterize spirituality, in the way they're being used, as "religion in action." That's simply not what spirituality means with respect to the common phrase "spiritual but not religious."

Again, the way you're using them is not the way they're meant in the phrase "spiritual but not religious." in that sense, the relevant spectrum is not passive/active but rather dogmatic/not dogmatic, or organized/individualistic, etc.
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 1:38:32 AM

Depends on what you mean by "spiritual". If being spiritual requires you to make metaphysical claims about the nature of reality, then there's not much of a difference as far as I see it. However, spiritual may also refer to the cultivation of a particular mind/outlook, or the seeking of certain experiences in life. For example, Sam Harris wrote a whole book on secular spirituality... and Harris is an atheist.