Jump to topic:

Signs from God, or coincidence?

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 12:42:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
"...the magic of the Moon causes it to move in a mirror image of the Sun, in that the midsummer full Moon will set at the same angle and in the same place on the horizon as the midwinter sunset. Then the midwinter Moon sets where the midsummer Sun sets, and at the equinoxes, the Moon takes the same setting line as the Sun. This is very, very odd-but it is observably true." Christopher Knight and Alan Butler, Civilization One.

There is also the strange coincidence that creates perfect eclipses: the Moon is exactly 400 times smaller than the Sun, AND exactly 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun.

There are many more strange coincidences about the Sun, Moon and Earth, but I think these two illustrate visible things we can see. Are these just coincidences? There is no astronomical reasons why they should be this way. Is it just lucky chance, or did someone set it up this way purposefully?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 12:59:42 AM
At 7/4/2016 12:42:04 AM, janesix wrote:
"...the magic of the Moon causes it to move in a mirror image of the Sun, in that the midsummer full Moon will set at the same angle and in the same place on the horizon as the midwinter sunset. Then the midwinter Moon sets where the midsummer Sun sets, and at the equinoxes, the Moon takes the same setting line as the Sun. This is very, very odd-but it is observably true." Christopher Knight and Alan Butler, Civilization One.

There is also the strange coincidence that creates perfect eclipses: the Moon is exactly 400 times smaller than the Sun, AND exactly 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun.

Neither of those numbers are exact, and one of them is only close to being true, time dependent. The moon travels away from the earth roughly 2 inches every year. A billion years ago, the distance to the Earth was significantly closer. Such numbers do not stay exact.

There are many more strange coincidences about the Sun, Moon and Earth, but I think these two illustrate visible things we can see. Are these just coincidences? There is no astronomical reasons why they should be this way. Is it just lucky chance, or did someone set it up this way purposefully?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 10:48:12 AM

In other words, because something seems to be rare, it must have been caused by some divine entity. This is faulty in logic, there are bound to be such rarities because of the huge possibility of there being one. Such rarities do not in prove something divine solely because it's rare, because there tends to be coincidences without divine input, unless you make the point that all coincidences were works of god..
Hitler- If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

Stalin- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

Machiavelli- It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

Ivan the Terrible- "I will not see the destruction of the Christian converts who are loyal to me, and to my last breath I will fight for the Orthodox faith
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 11:24:40 AM
It seems odd that anyone would set up the sizes and distances of the moon and sun to produce eclipses only to make them rare and not easily observed. I've never seen a full eclipse live (partial eclipses I have), and unless I go traipsing half way across the world I never will.

In my experience partial eclipses in the UK are invarably obscured by clouds so you can't see anything anyway. It is a pity god didn't do something about having clear skies on eclipse days while he was arranging for odd coincidences, but I suppose controlling the British weather is beyond even divine power.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 7:41:44 PM

I don;t believe in coincidence as such, however I do believe in some things being coincident in time.

The trouble is that there are in fact too many "coincidences" for them to be mere coincidence.

The reason so many factors have come together in one place to support developing life is simply because they were brought together by the creator.

You cannot have such a reliably consistent universe without design, and any who believe you can are either running scared of the truth or simply deluding themselves, if only by trusting the wrong people.

Are they signs?

I would say no, because what they are is evidence of an almost infinite intelligence being behind the creation of everything. Hence Paul was even more correct that even he realised when he said:

Romans 1:20
20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world"s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

Romans 2:1
2 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are, if you judge; for when you judge another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge practice the same things.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:25:41 PM

The moon is about 400 times smaller than the sun. However, the distance between the earth and the sun varies. Solar eclipses can happen at any time of year. Here is a list of the next several ones:
Aug 21, 2017
Jul 2, 2019
Dec 14, 2020
Dec 4, 2021
Apr 20, 2023

The distance between the earth and the sun ranges from 91,000,000 to 94,500,000 miles. The distance of the earth to the full moon ranges from 220,000 to 250,000 miles.

So at the very least the ratio of the sun moon distance is 364 and the most is about 430. No eclipse has a perfect coverage of the moon to the sun and many have the moon being smaller than the sun and others the moon is larger than the sun.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 12:30:18 PM
the Moon is exactly 400 times smaller than the Sun, AND exactly 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun.

At 7/4/2016 10:15:03 AM, janesix wrote:
Why doesn't anyone see this?

Because it isn't true.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 9:31:10 PM
Luke 21:25
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars."
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 11:47:25 PM
At 7/4/2016 10:15:03 AM, janesix wrote:
Why doesn't anyone see this?

generally if you are the only 1 who sees something.
then that is a symptom of mental illness.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 12:16:32 AM

And there is absolutely no astronomical or other viable finding to suggest that these are any more than what they are; coincidences. Just because some charismatic airhead publishes a colourful book that is full of 1+1+1=1000 theories, it does not give the notion one ounce of credibility.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 12:29:43 AM

Do you really, really believe that the only way for an omnipotent god to give a sign of his existence is in the nonsense you have posted above? This is the best he can do? Are you serious?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 8:57:06 PM
At 7/6/2016 12:29:43 AM, dee-em wrote:

Do you really, really believe that the only way for an omnipotent god to give a sign of his existence is in the nonsense you have posted above? This is the best he can do? Are you serious?

Christ made it very clear that the signs of this time would not be blatantly obvious, we would have to discern what is happening form the clues, which is what such as I have done.

As he also made clear Armageddon will not come in with "striking observableness" and you only have to think back to the time of the flood, which Christ likened these days to, to realise what that means.

So don't expect "I'm here" in great big letters in the sky, because you will have to be wide awake, and most definitely on the watch to recognise it.

Which of course is why the vast majority don't.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 11:26:58 PM
At 7/6/2016 8:57:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/6/2016 12:29:43 AM, dee-em wrote:

Christ made it very clear that the signs of this time would not be blatantly obvious, we would have to discern what is happening form the clues, which is what such as I have done.

As he also made clear Armageddon will not come in with "striking observableness" and you only have to think back to the time of the flood, which Christ likened these days to, to realise what that means.

So don't expect "I'm here" in great big letters in the sky, because you will have to be wide awake, and most definitely on the watch to recognise it.

Which of course is why the vast majority don't.

You miss the point. There are no signs. The things Jane is referring to have been around from before there were even homo sapiens on the planet. There are no signs because there is no god.

But you keep searching the skies, MCB. Just like your fathers and forefathers before you. Keep on waiting for your non-existent signs. What a colossal waste of human potential spent on delusional pursuits.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 11:39:30 PM
At 7/6/2016 8:57:06 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
The chances that this christ character, if he ever existed, actually said any of the stuff attributed to him in that funny book is so close to zero that it's not worth discussing.
And once again for the incredibly slow witted, there never was a global flood.
Myths and stupidstisions rule OK.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 7:24:26 AM
"...the magic of the Moon causes it to move in a mirror image of the Sun, ...

No. The Sun doesn't move at all in relation to the Earth. The apparent motion is caused by the rotation of the Earth. Apples and oranges.

... in that the midsummer full Moon will set at the same angle and in the same place on the horizon as the midwinter sunset. Then the midwinter Moon sets where the midsummer Sun sets, and at the equinoxes, the Moon takes the same setting line as the Sun. This is very, very odd-but it is observably true." Christopher Knight and Alan Butler, Civilization One.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com...

Crammed into just over 250 pages are so many unbelievable assertions and unproven speculations that it would take a book-sized rebuttal to adequately do justice to the triumph of numerology represented in these pages.

No, not exactly.

https://www.quora.com...

. Distance to the moon 230,100 mi
. Radius of the moon 1,079 mi
. Distance to the sun 92.95 million mi
. Radius of the sun 432,687 mi
. moon to sun size 401.00741427247451343836886005561
. moon to sun distance 403.95480225988700564971751412429

Yes those ratios are similar. Not they don't have anything to do with each other. Note that in the grand scheme of things they really are not that close. They are only 0.9927036688982935507495285067111% the same. Or about 3/4ths of a percent different. That is a huge difference when looking for cosmic alignments.

So the answer to your question is - just coincidence.

What would the purpose be? Please tell us.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:48:34 PM

Purposefully
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...