Jump to topic:

Devotion vs Knowledge vs Actions vs Duty

Pandit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 7:21:40 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
In this poverty , War , Hate stricken world , Do the concepts mentioned in the Title hold any importance in the modern man's life ?

Devotion to Supreme ( Can be God , Nation , Any political figure )
Knowledge ( Can be Secular and Spiritual )
Actions ( Selfless actions and Right actions )
Duty ( Performing duties like Student must study , Teacher must teach , Guru must Guide , Humans must love )
lwilington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 8:58:01 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
In this poverty , War , Hate stricken world , Do the concepts mentioned in the Title hold any importance in the modern man's life ?

They only hold importance to the people that give them value. Modern people definitely give them value. The problem is they don't agree on what is...
1. Supreme. Is it the christian god or another god? Is it your nation or mine? Is it a democrat, or a republican?
2. Knowledge. Can it be secular or spiritual? What is spiritual knowledge? How can one demonstrate spiritual knowledge?
3. Right. Any action can be seen from different sides. Killing a person can be seen as "right" because you see them as a terrorist and wrong if I see them as a family member.
4. Their duty. Student and teacher are defined by what they do, so I would agree with those. Gurus guiding is a bit of a stretch to me. Seems like anyone can call themselves a guru without doing anything at all to earn that title. And humans loving is not at all necessary for the title.

Seems like you may be asking a deeper question. Like whether or not the modern world could ever agree on what is valuable.
I don't know that. I would like to argue that if we all could agree on what is real, through science or some other way of understanding the reality around us, that we would be in a better place to agree on what should be given value.
But others may see that as my bias against religion or spirituality. (which, to me, can not be explained or demonstrated as part of reality)