Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

The church online giving app. Add up top.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 6:13:21 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 6:05:07 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Duuno...how much you giving these guys?

Speaking only personally, I've donated to many secular charities and a few religious ones, but have never (to my knowledge) donated to an atheist or antireligious group -- despite myself being a 'hard' atheist and vocally opposed to people claiming theological authority.

When I think about why that is, I believe it's because while I'd much prefer a world with less religiosity, it's more important to me that people are smarter in their dealings with religion, rather than simply more suspicious and hostile.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 6:20:05 PM
At 7/8/2016 6:13:21 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Speaking only personally, I've donated to many secular charities and a few religious ones, but have never (to my knowledge) donated to an atheist or antireligious group -- despite myself being a 'hard' atheist and vocally opposed to people claiming theological authority.

When I think about why that is, I believe it's because while I'd much prefer a world with less religiosity, it's more important to me that people are smarter in their dealings with religion, rather than simply more suspicious and hostile.

I would suggest that applies to atheism as well. Stalin believed no god was watching him to be accountable to. He killed millions. It's not a religion thing. It's an everybody thing. A crazy person will use anything to justify crazy acts.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 6:58:57 PM
At 7/8/2016 6:20:05 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I would suggest that applies to atheism as well. Stalin believed no god was watching him to be accountable to. He killed millions. It's not a religion thing. It's an everybody thing. A crazy person will use anything to justify crazy acts.
Allegedly your god has killed many many more and allegedly will continue to do so.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:15:42 PM
While I'd much prefer a world with less religiosity, it's more important to me that people are smarter in their dealings with religion, rather than simply more suspicious and hostile.

A crazy person will use anything to justify crazy acts.

But good people readily use religion to justify evil acts. :p
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 9:50:06 PM
At 7/8/2016 6:58:57 PM, bulproof wrote:

Allegedly your god has killed many many more and allegedly will continue to do so.

Hmmm...I don't remember Christ killing anyone.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 9:52:01 PM
At 7/8/2016 7:15:42 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
While I'd much prefer a world with less religiosity, it's more important to me that people are smarter in their dealings with religion, rather than simply more suspicious and hostile.

Atheists use no god to justify acts. Just doing what people do when no god is watching.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 10:02:34 PM
At 7/8/2016 9:52:01 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:15:42 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Atheists use no god to justify acts. Just doing what people do when no god is watching.

Regarding what opposes bad behaviour, accountability to concerned, compassionate and respectful people has always been critical -- even among the religious. (If you doubt this, consider clerical child abuses, which occurred systematically for decades precisely because clergy weren't transparent and accountable to broader society.) There's also every evidence that it's sufficient, in that given comparable economies, societies with low religiosity but high rule of law do better on violent crime than societies with high religiosity but low rule of law.

Regarding what stimulates good behaviour (here I mean civic-mindedness and tolerance, say), I can think of nothing better than the examples of good behaviour in our society. And good behaviour can be exemplified by anyone.

So in a modern world where rule of law matters more than faith, and religion more often leads with bad behaviour than exemplifying good (your own poor behaviour in this forum being a case in point, Bronto), how is religion a benefit to society rather than a burden?