Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Atheism: What does it inspire?

Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

None. It is not its goal.
I'm surprised you're struggling with this.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.

Worldview and label are not one and the same thing.
The evidence that atheism in this sense is not a world view is the fantastically varied proper worldviews held by atheists.

Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

The position is that of non-acceptance of theistic claims.

At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral.

The position is of non-acceptance of theistic claims.
It's not neutral to the God-question, it is indifferent to everything else, which is why atheists have immensely varied political and philosophical stances.

Come at me.

So sorry.
I am straight.

Seriously, you came here looking for a fight?
You chose the right place.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

Want to hear the irony (objectively)?

If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction. Atheism is a rationally held belief because it's thought to be true. If atheism is true, it's arbitrary to hold any beliefs because truth is not actually preferable to fiction.

what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

None. It is not its goal.
I'm surprised you're struggling with this.

Nothing. Thank you for that uncandid admission.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.

Worldview and label are not one and the same thing.
The evidence that atheism in this sense is not a world view is the fantastically varied proper worldviews held by atheists.

English please.

Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

The position is that of non-acceptance of theistic claims.

Right.

At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral.

The position is of non-acceptance of theistic claims.
It's not neutral to the God-question, it is indifferent to everything else, which is why atheists have immensely varied political and philosophical stances.

in doing so, that carries with it many philosophical implications.

Come at me.

So sorry.
I am straight.

so you lied to me?

Seriously, you came here looking for a fight?
You chose the right place.

Put em up!!
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:12:18 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I would say...it inspires pocket pool.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:39:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

Want to hear the irony (objectively)?

If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction. Atheism is a rationally held belief because it's thought to be true. If atheism is true, it's arbitrary to hold any beliefs because truth is not actually preferable to fiction.


You're not that good a wordsmith.
Jambalaya comes to mind.

what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

None. It is not its goal.
I'm surprised you're struggling with this.

Nothing. Thank you for that uncandid admission.

No, thank you, for concurring that something which doesn't have a certain goal in mind cannot possibly be accused of failing to attain it. But I'll reference this post of yours next time someone claims Atheism inspired 20th century atrocities.

You might have googled "atheist literature" or "atheist music", if you really wanted an answer.


I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.

Worldview and label are not one and the same thing.
The evidence that atheism in this sense is not a world view is the fantastically varied proper worldviews held by atheists.

English please.

You mean you struggle with English as well?
A label and a worldview are two related but nonetheless distinct things. The label Atheist barely narrows down the number of possible worldviews one can hold as such. For example, "Conscious" is a label from which the entirety of the worldview spectrum can be held.

Do I need to fax you a tree diagram?


Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

The position is that of non-acceptance of theistic claims.

Right.

Glad you agree.


At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral.

The position is of non-acceptance of theistic claims.
It's not neutral to the God-question, it is indifferent to everything else, which is why atheists have immensely varied political and philosophical stances.


in doing so, that carries with it many philosophical implications.

Very few, compared to the immensity at one's disposal after one has subscribed to the position.


Come at me.

So sorry.
I am straight.

so you lied to me?

You have me mistaken for another guy. Give him a call. It's not polite to just smoke a cigarette and leave. At least fedex the poor fellow some roses.


Seriously, you came here looking for a fight?
You chose the right place.

Put em up!!

Ah, I don't brawl kids with glasses.
It would be unethical.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:15:38 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 9:39:49 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

Want to hear the irony (objectively)?

If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction. Atheism is a rationally held belief because it's thought to be true. If atheism is true, it's arbitrary to hold any beliefs because truth is not actually preferable to fiction.


You're not that good a wordsmith.
Jambalaya comes to mind.

This is heavy stuff. I don't expect you to get it on your first try. Slow down and read it again. Sit down with a cup of coffee and an open mind.

what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

None. It is not its goal.
I'm surprised you're struggling with this.

Nothing. Thank you for that uncandid admission.

No, thank you, for concurring that something which doesn't have a certain goal in mind cannot possibly be accused of failing to attain it. But I'll reference this post of yours next time someone claims Atheism inspired 20th century atrocities.

It makes sense though. If atheism is true, humanity has no intrinsic worth. It makes sense how someone could justify committing atrocities in an atheistic worldview.

You might have googled "atheist literature" or "atheist music", if you really wanted an answer.

"atheist music"? hmm, interesting.



I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.

Worldview and label are not one and the same thing.
The evidence that atheism in this sense is not a world view is the fantastically varied proper worldviews held by atheists.

English please.

You mean you struggle with English as well?
A label and a worldview are two related but nonetheless distinct things. The label Atheist barely narrows down the number of possible worldviews one can hold as such. For example, "Conscious" is a label from which the entirety of the worldview spectrum can be held.

Do I need to fax you a tree diagram?

The belief that God doesn't exist is a worldview. All people who don't believe that God exists are atheists. Therefore atheism is a worldview.



Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

The position is that of non-acceptance of theistic claims.

Right.

Glad you agree.


At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral.

The position is of non-acceptance of theistic claims.
It's not neutral to the God-question, it is indifferent to everything else, which is why atheists have immensely varied political and philosophical stances.


in doing so, that carries with it many philosophical implications.

Very few, compared to the immensity at one's disposal after one has subscribed to the position.

It caries with it many implications. For morality, values, purpose, knowledge, etc.


Come at me.

So sorry.
I am straight.

so you lied to me?

You have me mistaken for another guy. Give him a call. It's not polite to just smoke a cigarette and leave. At least fedex the poor fellow some roses.

you sound like you've done this before! Quit lying.


Seriously, you came here looking for a fight?
You chose the right place.

Put em up!!

Ah, I don't brawl kids with glasses.
It would be unethical.

Nothing is actually unethical under moral subjectivism or nihilism. If atheism is true, either moral nihilism or moral subjectivism must be true. Another strike against atheism.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:31:59 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

You mean, are there any redeeming qualities for not accepting the claims of believers and their myriads of gods, myths and superstitions?

Thinking and understanding comes to mind.

What does it hope for?

Nothing.

what does it inspire?

Nothing.

What common cause does it wish to confer?

Reason, logic and rationale, to name a few.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Sorry, but it is you believers who came up with that label, it would completely irrelevant if not for your position.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:52:20 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

That is like asking if there is any redeeming quality to the belief the earth is a sphere.

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

What does a belief in a spherical planet inspire? Another question is what does belief in a flat earth inspire? Ignorance comes to mind. Superstition and mythology is not a good starting point to evaluate the purpose of life, how one should behave, etc. Lets start with the truth and figure it out from there.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

If you want to say that atheism views the world through glasses not colored by superstition, fine. What would the point be? Atheists may disagree on moral issues, the existence of subjective/objective morality, materialism, the longevity of consciousness, etc. The only unifying belief they have is that they see no reason to own a belief in an interventionist, judging god or any sort of divine revelation.

To an atheist, theists and flat-earthers are in the same category and appear to use similar reasoning methods. Being a flat-earther is an intellectual detriment similar to being a theist. Inspiration has nothing to do with any of those beliefs.
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:56:42 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 10:15:38 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/9/2016 9:39:49 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

Want to hear the irony (objectively)?

If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction. Atheism is a rationally held belief because it's thought to be true. If atheism is true, it's arbitrary to hold any beliefs because truth is not actually preferable to fiction.


You're not that good a wordsmith.
Jambalaya comes to mind.

This is heavy stuff. I don't expect you to get it on your first try.

This from someone who's apparently mystified by the difference between world view and label...

Slow down and read it again. Sit down with a cup of coffee and an open mind.

what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

None. It is not its goal.
I'm surprised you're struggling with this.

Nothing. Thank you for that uncandid admission.

No, thank you, for concurring that something which doesn't have a certain goal in mind cannot possibly be accused of failing to attain it. But I'll reference this post of yours next time someone claims Atheism inspired 20th century atrocities.

It makes sense though. If atheism is true, humanity has no intrinsic worth.

To itself it does.
Nothing more is needed.

It makes sense how someone could justify committing atrocities in an atheistic worldview.

You just contradicted yourself. I was anticipating that. That's why I pre-emptively referenced the post.


You might have googled "atheist literature" or "atheist music", if you really wanted an answer.

"atheist music"? hmm, interesting.

I thought about suggesting "atheistic music", which would have been more Kosher, but less likely to yield search results. I guess I overlooked the fact you weren't really looking for results.





I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.

Worldview and label are not one and the same thing.
The evidence that atheism in this sense is not a world view is the fantastically varied proper worldviews held by atheists.

English please.

You mean you struggle with English as well?
A label and a worldview are two related but nonetheless distinct things. The label Atheist barely narrows down the number of possible worldviews one can hold as such. For example, "Conscious" is a label from which the entirety of the worldview spectrum can be held.

Do I need to fax you a tree diagram?

The belief that God doesn't exist is a worldview. All people who don't believe that God exists are atheists. Therefore atheism is a worldview.

Atheism is not the belief that God doesn't exist. It is the non-acceptance of current theistic claims. You still struggle with this subtle but important nuance, don't you?
Even if it were that which you indicate, it would still be a worldview rendered almost irrelevant given the vastness and depth of the worldviews at the atheist's disposal.




Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

The position is that of non-acceptance of theistic claims.

Right.

Glad you agree.


At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral.

I've already debunked this point.


The position is of non-acceptance of theistic claims.
It's not neutral to the God-question, it is indifferent to everything else, which is why atheists have immensely varied political and philosophical stances.


in doing so, that carries with it many philosophical implications.

Very few, compared to the immensity at one's disposal after one has subscribed to the position.

It caries with it many implications. For morality, values, purpose, knowledge, etc.

The forum has been over this and you have been thoroughly discredited in those claims. Is this a stealthy way to reopen that debate?



Come at me.

So sorry.
I am straight.

so you lied to me?

You have me mistaken for another guy. Give him a call. It's not polite to just smoke a cigarette and leave. At least fedex the poor fellow some roses.

you sound like you've done this before! Quit lying.

Yes, I have. Exclusively with lovely ladies.
You should try it one day.

Now, fedex the guy some roses or a tie.
What's his favourite colour?
Don't tell me you didn't take him to a nice restaurant to at least chat with the old fellow? You went straight to the roadside motel?!

Ben, Ben. I am not condemning your sexual orientation, nor your rather perplexing request , which you so eloquently expressed as "Come at me". These matters are personal. I respect that. Let's have no more of this intruding on your same-sex sex life.



Seriously, you came here looking for a fight?
You chose the right place.

Put em up!!

Ah, I don't brawl kids with glasses.
It would be unethical.

Nothing is actually unethical under moral subjectivism or nihilism.

Not true.
I don't subscribe to either anyway.

If atheism is true, either moral nihilism or moral subjectivism must be true.
Not true. Is this a stealthy way to rekindle that debate which ended in a resounding defeat of your position?

Another strike against atheism.
That would be a fallacy called Appeal to Consequences.
I realize you're trying to craft this camouflage of philosophic erudition, but you should rehearse your part better.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:08:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:50:29 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for?

Truth.

Want to hear the irony (objectively)?

If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction.
...for the anxious or conceited.

For the brave and humble, Ben, why wouldn't it be? Truth is always more accurately predictive than fiction, so it's preferable by default because everyone -- for whatever reason -- prefers effective decisions to ineffective ones.
Les_Rong
Posts: 341
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:21:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Truth; the basis of all wisdom.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:42:16 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 9:00:06 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If atheism is true, objectively, truth is not preferable to fiction. Atheism is a rationally held belief because it's thought to be true. If atheism is true, it's arbitrary to hold any beliefs because truth is not actually preferable to fiction.
Enter religion.
dee-em
Posts: 6,495
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:55:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

A fallacious appeal to consequences? You are sinking lower and lower with every post. None of your questions are relevant to whether atheism is a rational position.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Ben is trying to tell us once more what atheism should be. Lol.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:07:06 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?
Why does it need a redeeming quality when it has exhibited no demonstrable fault?

What does it hope for?
Honesty?

what does it inspire?
Honesty?

What common cause does it wish to confer?
Respect for honesty?

"Atheism" exists as a label for a reason.
Because everyone believing in truth-by-revelation likes to blame and vilify anyone who doesn't for not doing so?

Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.
Or others can't fit you into their intellectual order -- or don't care to, so they clump you together.

Like 'heathen'. Or 'atheist'. Or 'infidel'.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:18:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/10/2016 1:55:50 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree.
Ben is trying to tell us once more what atheism should be.

Ben needs atheism to be a worldview because otherwise vilifying it wouldn't get him excited about his own, ill-supported beliefs. :(
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 5:03:42 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

that's because you don't understand what atheism is.
atheism is the lack of belief in any god.
everything else is something else.
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:07:23 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Change atheism to awitchism, lack of belief in witch craft.

You would sound like a f*cking retard if you went around asking such insincere questions like, what does awitchism inspire ? what common cause does it wish to confer ?

You would have to be dumb as f*ck to think such insincere questions in anyway made any dent against awitchism.

You would sound even more like a f*ck wit if you then followed up with an implication that awitchism is world view.............come at me bro.
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:03:40 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

The idea that there could be any "redeeming" quality of atheism is misguided, both in the sense that atheism cannot be "redeemed" because to redeem is to compensate for the faults or bad aspects of something. Atheism is benign, meaning it neither has good nor bad qualities. It simply is. Thus, your question is misguided.

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

Atheism does not offer hope in anything, nor does it inspire anything. There is no "common cause" to atheism, and, frankly, based on your questions here and posts elsewhere, you don't even really seem to understand what it is because you seek to associate a whole bunch of things that have nothing to do with atheism, with atheism.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree.

And now, you shift from a quest for "redeeming qualities" to whether atheism is "a worldview"? Atheism is not a "world view."

A world view is the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing the entirety of the individual or society's knowledge and point of view.

Atheism is the absence of belief, or the disbelief in the existence of any god.

As a consequences, atheism may be a component of someone's world view, but it cannot be a world view.

"Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

Nothing you have said so far has had any resonance or meaning whatsoever, but this is even more bizarre, because you're associating atheism with your individual identity. There is only one reason why you would be associating atheism with your identity, which is a rebellion against those who believe.

This is because to associate non-belief in any god with who you are as a person is to define yourself against them, meaning that you have not formed an independently arrived at decision, but you're engaged alternatively in something intellectually on par with identity politics on a religious level, which raises many issues in itself.

At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

The whole problem with young and intellectually unsophisticated atheists is that they get ahead of themselves, and confuse atheism with things that it is not. Atheism is not an identity or a world view, but to the extent you make it one, you are intellectually servient to theism.
Tsar of DDO
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:34:15 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/10/2016 4:03:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

The idea that there could be any "redeeming" quality of atheism is misguided, both in the sense that atheism cannot be "redeemed" because to redeem is to compensate for the faults or bad aspects of something. Atheism is benign, meaning it neither has good nor bad qualities. It simply is. Thus, your question is misguided.

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

Atheism does not offer hope in anything, nor does it inspire anything. There is no "common cause" to atheism, and, frankly, based on your questions here and posts elsewhere, you don't even really seem to understand what it is because you seek to associate a whole bunch of things that have nothing to do with atheism, with atheism.

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree.

And now, you shift from a quest for "redeeming qualities" to whether atheism is "a worldview"? Atheism is not a "world view."

A world view is the fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing the entirety of the individual or society's knowledge and point of view.

Atheism is the absence of belief, or the disbelief in the existence of any god.

As a consequences, atheism may be a component of someone's world view, but it cannot be a world view.

"Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position.

Nothing you have said so far has had any resonance or meaning whatsoever, but this is even more bizarre, because you're associating atheism with your individual identity. There is only one reason why you would be associating atheism with your identity, which is a rebellion against those who believe.

This is because to associate non-belief in any god with who you are as a person is to define yourself against them, meaning that you have not formed an independently arrived at decision, but you're engaged alternatively in something intellectually on par with identity politics on a religious level, which raises many issues in itself.

At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

The whole problem with young and intellectually unsophisticated atheists is that they get ahead of themselves, and confuse atheism with things that it is not. Atheism is not an identity or a world view, but to the extent you make it one, you are intellectually servient to theism.

I agree with YYW on this Ben, but let's try a very simple example that will hopefully allow you to understand YYW's post.

You say to me, God exists. I ask for hard evidence to support your claim, of which you can offer none other than a book of Scriptures. Hence, you cannot support our claim and I simple cannot accept it as being valid in any way.

So, how is this a worldview, how can it possibly offer redeeming qualities, inspiration or cause? Do you understand, yet, Ben? I don't think I can make any simpler for you.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Pandit
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:36:50 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Atheism aspires for Realism .
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 9:56:10 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Relentless masturbation
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 11:15:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Given the arguments I've seen you provide, get refuted, then make again in a new thread without addressing any of the issues in it, it seems that Atheism inspires intellectual dishonesty; but specifically inspires it in non-atheists.
squonk
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 11:47:33 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I feel that it is reasonable to consider "atheism" a worldview. Strictly speaking, atheism is "a lack of belief in the existence of a God or gods." According to this definition, we're all atheists...even Christians and Muslims.

But let's face it: When you tell someone, "I'm an atheist", they're going to assume that you mean something more than "I lack belief in the existence of a God" in the exact same way a Christian or a Muslim lacks belief in the existence of a God. And they aren't wrong to make that assumption.

So, people who self-identify as "atheists" (like myself) tend to share a certain worldview and a certain set of values.

The OP was asking, "Is there any redeeming quality of atheism? What does it hope for? What does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?" Here's my answer to these questions:

In the "atheist worldview", there is a reverence for truth that you won't find in religion. Religions love to make claims that are completely unsupported by evidence. How do Christians know there's a Heaven and a Hell? Because dogma, scripture, authority, and anecdotes. Are these reliable forms of evidence? No they're not.

Truth matters. In the "atheist worldview" we recognize that your emotions have no bearing on reality. That is, it doesn't matter how much you want to see your dead wife, mother, husband, grandma again...that doesn't make it reasonable for you to believe in an afterlife. It doesn't matter how bad you want a Divine Loving Supernatural Creator of the Universe to delineate the purpose of your life; that doesn't mean it's reasonable to believe in such a being.

Christians are dishonest. They pretend to be certain about things they couldn't possibly know, things that they have no good reason to believe (apart from, they WANT to believe them).
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 7:53:16 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/25/2016 9:56:10 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/9/2016 8:28:26 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Is there any redeeming quality of atheism?

What does it hope for? what does it inspire? What common cause does it wish to confer?

I can already hear people screaming "Atheism isn't a worldview!" but I disagree. "Atheism" exists as a label for a reason. Labels don't exist unless you identify yourself with some position. At the moment you define your position, you are no longer neutral. Come at me.

Relentless masturbation

Nobody is interested in your hobbies, craptor.