Jump to topic:

Christianity and Efficacy of Human Sacrifice

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 2:58:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Christianity is a religion that teaches its believers that human sacrifice makes them innocent when they do bad stuff.

I realize this is the simplified version but am I correct or incorrect?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:24:50 AM
At 7/11/2016 2:58:32 AM, matt8800 wrote:
Christianity is a religion that teaches its believers that human sacrifice makes them innocent when they do bad stuff.

Sounds about right.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:46:39 AM
I will be interested to see if any Christian replies to this thread.

That is exactly what the believe and they know it. I think unconsciously, they know it sounds like lunacy so probably isn't a position they are going to defend.

Ironically, its the most important position for them to defend.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:54:35 AM
At 7/11/2016 3:46:39 AM, matt8800 wrote:

That is exactly what the believe and they know it. I think unconsciously, they know it sounds like lunacy so probably isn't a position they are going to defend.

I am going to play devil's advocate here and ask how you feel about a ransom?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 3:56:17 AM
At 7/11/2016 3:54:35 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Ransom for what?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:14:08 AM

There are some major inconsistencies in the story, of course. They might tell you that it wasn't a human sacrifice since it involved a god-man. However, what then was sacrificed since an immortal being cannot die? Nothing.

The concept of a sacrifice came from that self-appointed apostle Paul who had to dream up some way to overcome the problem of original sin and provide a means for people to be accepted into the Christian church despite their past bad deeds. So he took the concept of the suffering servant from the OT and projected it onto his invented god-man up in heaven. It is nothing more than a theological trick to nullify earlier doctrine which could not be disowned. Later, the gospel writers expanded on this idea in an attempt to explain away the embarrassment of having their saviour figure (the hero of the piece) being prematurely executed by the Romans and obviously not being the messiah that they had built him up to be.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:18:11 AM

Christianity is a religion that teaches its believers that (one) human or God/man ? sacrifice makes them innocent when they do bad stuff.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:26:51 AM
At 7/11/2016 4:18:11 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Christianity is a religion that teaches its believers that (one) human or God/man ? sacrifice makes them innocent when they do bad stuff.

Right, I figured the qualifiers would start coming in an effort to explain why its completely reasonable.

It still sounds like you agree with my original assessment.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:30:26 AM
At 7/11/2016 4:26:51 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Right, I figured the qualifiers would start coming in an effort to explain why its completely reasonable.

https://youtu.be...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:33:15 AM
At 7/11/2016 4:30:26 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 7/11/2016 4:26:51 AM, matt8800 wrote:

https://youtu.be...

I would love to see how Harris' opponent responds. I bet he glosses over it.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:11:59 PM
At 7/11/2016 3:56:17 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Ransom for what?

WIth the corruption of Adam, some variety of debt had to be paid back, this debt is paid with human lives.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:26:03 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:11:59 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 7/11/2016 3:56:17 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Ransom for what?

WIth the corruption of Adam, some variety of debt had to be paid back, this debt is paid with human lives.

Yes, that is the justification for human sacrifice but punishing the innocent to atone for evil actions by the unpunished guilty is the epitome of injustice. Regardless, would the concept of human sacrifice as described sound any less ludicrous?

Paying someone's outstanding monetary debt has nothing to do with evil, good, justice or injustice. The 'evil' committed by mankind is simply not being healthy when we were supposedly created sick in the first place, which had nothing to do with our choices. How is this congruent to the idea of a perfect creator?

If an evil person killed one of your loved ones, would punishing an innocent person while letting the guilty go free equate to justice? If that is justice, what definition would you attribute to the word 'justice'?

What evidence indicates that the Christian concept of human sacrifice is more effective than the Aztec concept of human sacrifice? On what foundation of evidence would one determine the efficacy of human sacrifice?

The only reason why some of modern civilization believes the Christian version of human sacrifice is effective is because they have been acclimated to the idea through indoctrination. For some reason, they feel shock and horror that other religions had other versions of human sacrifice.

Ahhh...so many questions...
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:41:33 PM

That is not what the Bible teaches.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:50:55 PM

Sorry, but as always you are a long way from what scripture teaches.

In fact t teaches that the sacrifice of "normal" humans descended from Adam is of absolutely no value.

That is why Jehovah's only begotten son had to have a specially prepared, Adam like, body created for him in Mary's womb.

After all to satisfy the need for like-for-like sacrifices, only a human equivalent to Adam would do, which meant none of Adam's descendants, born in sin, could make an adequate sacrifice.

That is why Paul called the Mosaic Law a "tutor leading to the Christ".

Otherwise there would have been no need for the sacrifice of Christ, any human would have done.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:52:58 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add:

No it doesn't make us innocent.

Accepting the merit of Christ's sacrifice in our lives atones for past sins and gives us the right to a new, sinless body ib the resurrection.

There is a world of difference between that and simply making us innocent, and is all based around future potential.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:59:55 PM
At 7/11/2016 8:50:55 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

In fact t teaches that the sacrifice of "normal" humans descended from Adam is of absolutely no value.

That is why Jehovah's only begotten son had to have a specially prepared, Adam like, body created for him in Mary's womb.

After all to satisfy the need for like-for-like sacrifices, only a human equivalent to Adam would do, which meant none of Adam's descendants, born in sin, could make an adequate sacrifice.

Otherwise there would have been no need for the sacrifice of Christ, any human would have done.

But Jesus was not sacrificed, he was crucified according to the bible.

Luke 23:21 But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"

Sacrifices had to be performed in the temple. Jesus was nailed to a cross outside the city walls of Jerusalem.

Matthew 27:33 They came to a place called Golgotha (which means "the place of the skull").
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:16:48 PM
At 7/11/2016 8:41:33 PM, 12_13 wrote:

That is not what the Bible teaches.

Don't you believe that you are made innocent of your wrongdoings because Jesus was sacrificed? If not, then technically you are not a Christian.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:32:01 PM

Right, I assumed Christians would send a bunch of qualifiers in why this particular human sacrifice was effective.

Regarding the claim that Jesus wasn't just any human, that seems to follow the same reasoning as the Incas - they needed children to sacrifice because they were more pure. Maybe the Incas were on to something, huh?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:35:56 PM
At 7/11/2016 8:59:55 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Sacrifices had to be performed in the temple. Jesus was nailed to a cross outside the city walls of Jerusalem.

Matthew 27:33 They came to a place called Golgotha (which means "the place of the skull").

Uh oh....you mean Jesus, who the Christians call the sacrificial lamb, wasnt sacrificed using the correct methods?

They might have screwed up the method but Christians definitely believe he was sacrificed. http://www.biblicaljesus.org...

They might need a do-over :(
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 6:02:36 PM

Jesus was "born in sin" just as much as anyone else was. If you think He wasn't, they tell us the difference.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 8:26:46 PM
At 7/11/2016 11:16:48 PM, matt8800 wrote:
Don't you believe that you are made innocent of your wrongdoings because Jesus was sacrificed? If not, then technically you are not a Christian.

Who sacrificed Jesus, and to whom?

By what the Bible tells Jesus lived for us. He used his life for us by teaching us the Gospel of forgiveness. Because he did that, he was murdered. So, in a way he died because of us, so that we could get the message and the example of how we should live.

The death itself is not what makes the difference; it is what Jesus said that can make difference. That is why it is said:

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

But who is Christian? According to the Bible, Christian meant disciple of Jesus and they are people who remain in words of Jesus.

"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

If I do that, I am real "Christian".

Reason why Jesus came is this:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19

Jesus had right to forgive sins even before his death:

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25

So, his death was not necessary for people to become clean of sin.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 9:46:09 PM
At 7/12/2016 6:02:36 PM, annanicole wrote:

Jesus was "born in sin" just as much as anyone else was. If you think He wasn't, they tell us the difference.

No Jesus was not born in sin, there was no human male involved in his creation, He was specially created in Mary's womb by the operation of holy spirit.

Which does rather imply that the defect which is known as sin is passed down by the male of the species. However there is no knowing exactly what changes had to be made using holy spirit in order to eradicate sn from his flesh.

That is precisely why Jesus was, and had to be, born of a virgin.

In one post you have just destroyed the whole basis of the teachings of the Apostles. This is the most disgusting post you have ever made, and that's going some.

If Jesus were born in sin then his sacrifice is invalid.

If Jesus were born in sin then any human sacrifice would have doe the job.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 9:49:50 PM
At 7/12/2016 9:46:09 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 7/12/2016 6:02:36 PM, annanicole wrote:

No Jesus was not born in sin, there was no human male involved in his creation, He was specially created in Mary's womb by the operation of holy spirit.

So you've decided that "sin" is passed along through the male, eh?

Which does rather imply that the defect which is known as sin is passed down by the male of the species. However there is no knowing exactly what changes had to be made using holy spirit in order to eradicate sn from his flesh.

That is precisely why Jesus was, and had to be, born of a virgin.

In one post you have just destroyed the whole basis of the teachings of the Apostles. This is the most disgusting post you have ever made, and that's going some.

If Jesus were born in sin then his sacrifice is invalid.

No, it isn't. He lived a sinless life. Nobody on here is contending that ANYONE is "born in sin", including Jesus.

If Jesus were born in sin then any human sacrifice would have doe the job.

No, it wouldn't, for He was tempted in all points as we are - yet remained sinless. Can you name another person who has managed to do that?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 9:58:49 PM

This is incorrect as human sacrifice implies some kind of continual practice and also that it was required the blood of a wholly innocent man to save the condemned. Jesus being blameless before God and choosing to die on behalf of humanity is what provided a way for salvation from this one time event.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:22:15 PM
At 7/12/2016 8:26:46 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 7/11/2016 11:16:48 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Who sacrificed Jesus, and to whom?

By what the Bible tells Jesus lived for us. He used his life for us by teaching us the Gospel of forgiveness. Because he did that, he was murdered. So, in a way he died because of us, so that we could get the message and the example of how we should live.

The death itself is not what makes the difference; it is what Jesus said that can make difference. That is why it is said:

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

But who is Christian? According to the Bible, Christian meant disciple of Jesus and they are people who remain in words of Jesus.

"If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

If I do that, I am real "Christian".

Reason why Jesus came is this:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, Because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim release to the captives, Recovering of sight to the blind, To deliver those who are crushed, And to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."
Luke 4:18-19

Jesus had right to forgive sins even before his death:

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25

So, his death was not necessary for people to become clean of sin.

If his death didn't matter, then why did he die?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:23:22 PM
At 7/11/2016 11:35:56 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Uh oh....you mean Jesus, who the Christians call the sacrificial lamb, wasnt sacrificed using the correct methods?

They might have screwed up the method but Christians definitely believe he was sacrificed. http://www.biblicaljesus.org...

The standard practice for human sacrifice before it was forbidden was burnt offering. After the temple was built all sacrifices had to be offered in the temple. We know Jesus was not sacrificed as a burnt offering nor was he sacrificed in the temple. He was crucified in public before a crown demanding Crucify him,Crucify him. Jesus was crucified not sacrificed.

This is why Jesus never appeared to the people who crucified him. He was afraid they would crucify him a second time because he was convicted of blasphemy and sentenced to death by crucifixion.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:26:37 PM
At 7/12/2016 9:58:49 PM, bigotry wrote:

This is incorrect as human sacrifice implies some kind of continual practice and also that it was required the blood of a wholly innocent man to save the condemned. Jesus being blameless before God and choosing to die on behalf of humanity is what provided a way for salvation from this one time event.

Where does it say that human sacrifice automatically implies plural?

Regardless, a singular incident doesn't make it sound any less crazy to someone that is not a Christian. If you changed the name of the religion and said it was south American native religion, you could condemn it as being ridiculous.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:32:00 PM
At 7/12/2016 10:23:22 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 7/11/2016 11:35:56 PM, matt8800 wrote:

The standard practice for human sacrifice before it was forbidden was burnt offering. After the temple was built all sacrifices had to be offered in the temple. We know Jesus was not sacrificed as a burnt offering nor was he sacrificed in the temple. He was crucified in public before a crown demanding Crucify him,Crucify him. Jesus was crucified not sacrificed.

This is why Jesus never appeared to the people who crucified him. He was afraid they would crucify him a second time because he was convicted of blasphemy and sentenced to death by crucifixion.

Jesus was afraid they would do something against his will? He doesn't sound very powerful.

As someone who is not Christian, do you believe in all the Biblical claims? What makes you think Christianity is correct and not others?
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:38:24 PM
At 7/12/2016 10:26:37 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Regardless, a singular incident doesn't make it sound any less crazy to someone that is not a Christian. If you changed the name of the religion and said it was south American native religion, you could condemn it as being ridiculous.
Well someone could say that about any concept that seems strange to them. i dont think thats an argument or grounds for dismissing anything.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:50:15 PM
At 7/12/2016 10:38:24 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 7/12/2016 10:26:37 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Well someone could say that about any concept that seems strange to them. i dont think thats an argument or grounds for dismissing anything.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence......or, at least some evidence. So yes, believing a strange concept without any evidence is not something that a critical thinker would do.

Christianity claims that human sacrifice is effective without providing any evidence that is true. Don't you think such an outlandish claim should have some evidence?