Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Astrology

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It bothers me that even atheists participate or perpetuate astrology "for fun" without calling it out for the total BS it is. I know it sounds silly to complain about, but I know far too many people who think "there is some truth to it" which I find really disturbing. Hopefully nobody on this forum is one of them. As an Aries, I'm obviously far too stubborn, proud and ruthless to accept this nonsense. But I know some people you wouldn't expect (like Christians and other deists/theists) who also perpetuate this malarky for fun, and it's bothersome. Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake? #AprilBabies #Ram #TeamAries #FireSign
President of DDO
Axon85
Posts: 137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 7:01:12 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
It bothers me that even atheists participate or perpetuate astrology "for fun" without calling it out for the total BS it is. I know it sounds silly to complain about, but I know far too many people who think "there is some truth to it" which I find really disturbing. Hopefully nobody on this forum is one of them. As an Aries, I'm obviously far too stubborn, proud and ruthless to accept this nonsense. But I know some people you wouldn't expect (like Christians and other deists/theists) who also perpetuate this malarky for fun, and it's bothersome. Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake? #AprilBabies #Ram #TeamAries #FireSign

I don't think being an atheist automatically makes one immune to all forms of irrational thinking. Astrology as well as other flavors of malarky often exploit cognitive bugs that are present in all people.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 7:12:49 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
It bothers me that even atheists participate or perpetuate astrology "for fun" without calling it out for the total BS it is. I know it sounds silly to complain about, but I know far too many people who think "there is some truth to it" which I find really disturbing. Hopefully nobody on this forum is one of them. As an Aries, I'm obviously far too stubborn, proud and ruthless to accept this nonsense. But I know some people you wouldn't expect (like Christians and other deists/theists) who also perpetuate this malarky for fun, and it's bothersome. Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake? #AprilBabies #Ram #TeamAries #FireSign

Well done. (slow clap)
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 7:38:58 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Hi Danielle,

Great thread. :)

At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake?
The secret to great art is to flatter the audience in innovative, elegant ways.

Astrology is a fiction that offers constant, ever-changing, non-contentious, elegant, pseudopersonalised flattery, conveyed by charlatans purporting to represent a universe that wants to treat each and every special snowflake differently (despite plummeting airliners evidencing no such desires.)

It addicts the weakly self-actualised, who make decisions poorly and anxiously, to not making a decision before checking what their flatterer would say. :p

Now of course, all knowledge is only OPINION, and all opinion formed by human minds is SUBJECTIVE, so my claims require NO EVIDENCE and are simultaneously UNIVERSALLY TRUE for ME, UTTERLY INCONSISTENT, and IMPOSSIBLE TO REFUTE. So this is MY opinion about YOUR universe, Danielle, and it's valid because MY I Ching and tarot told me that today is a good day to debunk YOUR astrology.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:31:37 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
It bothers me that even atheists participate or perpetuate astrology "for fun" without calling it out for the total BS it is. I know it sounds silly to complain about, but I know far too many people who think "there is some truth to it" which I find really disturbing. Hopefully nobody on this forum is one of them. As an Aries, I'm obviously far too stubborn, proud and ruthless to accept this nonsense. But I know some people you wouldn't expect (like Christians and other deists/theists) who also perpetuate this malarky for fun, and it's bothersome. Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake? #AprilBabies #Ram #TeamAries #FireSign

Love the irony. Well played.
Udel
Posts: 103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:29:14 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Astrology lets people feel like they are part of something, like a unique club with other people who share the same star sign. People like to think that something as simple as a zodiac sign can explain why they are the way they are.
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:20:34 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
It bothers me that even atheists participate or perpetuate astrology "for fun" without calling it out for the total BS it is. I know it sounds silly to complain about, but I know far too many people who think "there is some truth to it" which I find really disturbing. Hopefully nobody on this forum is one of them. As an Aries, I'm obviously far too stubborn, proud and ruthless to accept this nonsense. But I know some people you wouldn't expect (like Christians and other deists/theists) who also perpetuate this malarky for fun, and it's bothersome. Why do you think people enjoy astrology even though it's so obviously fake? #AprilBabies #Ram #TeamAries #FireSign

Unfortunately not all atheists are so because they made an informed choice. Many are just as ignorant and fixed in their ways as are all hard-core theists.
Because us humans have this great ability to think (too much), there is always a temptation to fill the unknown with something. While some of us take it with a grain of salt others go to unbelievable lengths.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:05:57 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Here, Astrology means Western Astrology.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
ironslippers
Posts: 513
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 11:41:32 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
Astrology pre-dates monotheism.
Try this:
If gravitational waves are created by space mass and gravitational force can cause the massive oceans of earth to rise and fall, it would reason that it could effect the human brain (temperment) which is made up of 75% water.
Just a thought
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 9:08:39 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/13/2016 11:41:32 PM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
Astrology pre-dates monotheism.
Try this:
If gravitational waves are created by space mass and gravitational force can cause the massive oceans of earth to rise and fall, it would reason that it could effect the human brain (temperment) which is made up of 75% water.
Just a thought

I'm no neurologist but somehow I doubt it. A gymnast doing somersaults everyday has hundreds more times the gravitational force. You have to go to the extremes of being a boxer having your head pulverised enough to make you a zombie. As great a man that he was, unfortunately that is what happened to Muhammad Ali, very cruelly and gradually.
bulproof
Posts: 25,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 10:51:18 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/13/2016 11:41:32 PM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/11/2016 6:34:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
Astrology pre-dates monotheism.
Try this:
If gravitational waves are created by space mass and gravitational force can cause the massive oceans of earth to rise and fall, it would reason that it could effect the human brain (temperment) which is made up of 75% water.
Just a thought
It's a worry when you claim that as a thought, unless it was sarcasm in which case huzzah.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin