Jump to topic:

The Ark Encounter

RedAtheist912
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 1:55:11 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
is a modern ark built to the Bible's standards by creationist Ken Ham, in case you have not heard of it. Is this supposed ark beneficial or detrimental to children?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 2:13:41 PM
At 7/12/2016 1:55:11 PM, RedAtheist912 wrote:
is a modern ark built to the Bible's standards by creationist Ken Ham, in case you have not heard of it. Is this supposed ark beneficial or detrimental to children?

It is a project led by none other than the individual whose defeat at a debate on Evolution was so evident, so resounding, so overwhelming, that even creationists scolded him afterward. The project enlisted a number of tax exemptions, thus showing that the struggle to maintain that high wall of separation between Church and state is never-ending. Young Earth Creationism is a collection of absurdities glued together with yesterday's spit. The only good reason I can think of that would justify taking your kids on a tour of the demented Ark Project is laughs. If comedic effect is what you're after, do it. Bear in mind though that by buying tickets to the exhibition, you are financially supporting Young Earth Creationism.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 3:32:04 PM

Yes I have seen it, but it is a long way from the design described in the Bible.

The Ark was precisely that, and Ark or chest. It was not a boat, but simply a large rectangular box.

It was after all, simply intended to float, not travel, therefore a bow and stern were not necessary.

Since the design of Ken Ham's boat is based on a misconception due to prejudice it cannot be beneficial. Only truth brings benefits with it, to child and adult alike.

"Design and Size. The ark (Heb., tevahE7;; Gr., kibotosE7;) was a rectangular chestlike vessel presumably having square corners and a flat bottom. It needed no rounded bottom or sharp bow to cut rapidly through the water; it required no steering; its only functions were to be watertight and to stay afloat. A vessel so shaped is very stable, cannot be easily capsized, and contains about one third more storage space than ships of conventional design. There was a door provided in the side of the ark for loading and unloading the cargo.

In size the ark was 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high. Conservatively calculating the cubit as 44.5 cm (17.5 in.) (some think the ancient cubit was nearer 56 or 61 cm), the ark measured 133.5 m by 22.3 m by 13.4 m (437 ft 6 in. " 72 ft 11 in. " 43 ft 9 in.), less than half the length of the ocean liner Queen Elizabeth 2. This proportion of length to width (6 to 1) is used by modern naval architects. This gave the ark approximately 40,000 cu m (1,400,000 cu ft) in gross volume. No known cargo vessel of ancient times even slightly resembled the ark in its colossal size. Internally strengthened by adding two floors, the three decks thus provided gave a total of about 8,900 sq m (96,000 sq ft) of space." http://wol.jw.org....
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 4:06:39 PM
It's neither.

Young Earth creationism is simply a different (and harmless) interpretation of the Bible. While I personally believe it is wrong, it doesn't harm a person in any way to believe in young Earth creationism.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 4:12:14 PM

I see no difference in this and the Scientology church building a replica of the spacecraft that Xenu used to bring people to earth.

I think that telling children the story of the Ark and the story of Xenu's spaceship are equally detrimental to children developing critical thinking skills. I cannot see how either could be a benefit.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 9:39:12 PM
At 7/12/2016 4:12:14 PM, matt8800 wrote:

I see no difference in this and the Scientology church building a replica of the spacecraft that Xenu used to bring people to earth.

I think that telling children the story of the Ark and the story of Xenu's spaceship are equally detrimental to children developing critical thinking skills. I cannot see how either could be a benefit.

The true story of the Ark, like all of scripture can and does benefit those who are taught it correctly.

However only one group teaches exactly what scripture describes, the Jehovah's Witnesses.

As for the Ark, the clue is in the name, Ark, or Chest.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:06:12 PM
At 7/12/2016 9:39:12 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The true story of the Ark, like all of scripture can and does benefit those who are taught it correctly.

However only one group teaches exactly what scripture describes, the Jehovah's Witnesses.

There never was a worldwide flood, that is the truth.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:23:55 PM
At 7/12/2016 9:39:12 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

How do you know the story of the flood is true? Did you read it in a book and thought it made perfect sense? Did you hear it third person?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:09:56 PM

Ham raises $100m dollars to fund construction, employees hundreds of skilled tradesmen (who had to sign oaths that they were YECs), uses models of animals rather than sourcing real animals from all over the globe, there is no requirement for foood storage or waste removal or exercising, it takes years to build despite the use of modern power tools and yet he believes that one man did all this and much, much more. Total lunacy.
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 5:00:39 AM
At 7/12/2016 11:22:01 PM, RedAtheist912 wrote:
From what I've heard, that money could've made every homeless person in the state not.

Maybe the homeless can move into the boat. At least find some good use to it.