Jump to topic:

Conversions

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:28:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Has anyone ever converted or changed religious affiliations? If so, which religions and why?

I was raised Roman Catholic and identified as very religious (on my own - not because my family pushed it) up until about age 15/16. Now I'm an Atheist. I always joke/threaten that I'm going to convert to Judaism but it's so much work. Just goes to show ya that organized religion is about appearances and control - not actual spirituality. Anyway, what changed your mind? Or what would have to happen to change your mind?
President of DDO
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:09:17 PM
At 7/14/2016 4:28:07 PM, Danielle wrote:
Has anyone ever converted or changed religious affiliations? If so, which religions and why?

I was raised Roman Catholic and identified as very religious (on my own - not because my family pushed it) up until about age 15/16. Now I'm an Atheist. I always joke/threaten that I'm going to convert to Judaism but it's so much work. Just goes to show ya that organized religion is about appearances and control - not actual spirituality. Anyway, what changed your mind? Or what would have to happen to change your mind?

I was raised Presbyterian and switched to Assemblies of God in college. More accurately, I really connected with a church which happened to be AG and became a member of it.

12 or so years later, I moved away from that area and slowly slid towards atheism. Long story short, new information and better comportment with reality were the reasons.

What caused you to change your mind?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 11:17:25 PM

You don't think Jesus is about spirituality lol? really? then maybe you could produce something more convincing? when did Jesus reveal it was more about control and appearances??? Can you provide the passage that shows that please?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 12:44:11 AM
At 7/14/2016 11:17:25 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You don't think Jesus is about spirituality lol? really?

Jesus was just a guy who walked around preaching and was eventually tortured and killed for doing so. What's so spiritual about that?

then maybe you could produce something more convincing? when did Jesus reveal it was more about control and appearances??? Can you provide the passage that shows that please?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 1:00:48 AM
At 7/15/2016 12:44:11 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Jesus was just a guy who walked around preaching and was eventually tortured and killed for doing so. What's so spiritual about that?

Read the Gospels. What does "spirituality" mean to you? Perhaps you could define that independent of Jesus?

then maybe you could produce something more convincing? when did Jesus reveal it was more about control and appearances??? Can you provide the passage that shows that please?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 1:37:46 AM
At 7/15/2016 1:00:48 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Read the Gospels. What does "spirituality" mean to you?

The Gospels show the word to be meaningless.

Perhaps you could define that independent of Jesus?

Jesus had a story, spirituality has nothing.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 2:21:41 AM
At 7/15/2016 12:08:01 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Don't forget to reply to me, I may have something worth while for you...

If you're handing out baskets of preservative-free fruits for replies, I suppose I'd hang for a bit.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:25:19 PM
At 7/15/2016 2:21:41 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/15/2016 12:08:01 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
Don't forget to reply to me, I may have something worth while for you...

If you're handing out baskets of preservative-free fruits for replies, I suppose I'd hang for a bit.

That's why I love you Serato.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:33:21 PM
At 7/15/2016 1:37:46 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Jesus taught from the Spirit, knew the spirit and showed you the principles of the spirit. Get real. Spirituality is the application thereof. It's the application of the reality of God's "Kingdom" which in part are spiritual laws/principles.

Come on Danney!! spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs (what Jesus taught) in action.... remember that definition you liked?

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 1:16:08 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:33:21 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Jesus taught from the Spirit, knew the spirit and showed you the principles of the spirit.

LOL. You really have no clue what Jesus taught, do you.

Get real. Spirituality is the application thereof. It's the application of the reality of God's "Kingdom" which in part are spiritual laws/principles.

LOL. That is an entirely meaningless statement, especially since you cannot show your "Gods Kingdom" has anything to do wit reality.

Come on Danney!! spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs (what Jesus taught) in action.... remember that definition you liked?

Yes, you were actually on your way to putting together a good definition, but you have yet to define spirituality.

"Putting into practice or application" are already clearly defined terms. Spirituality is not.

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:13:25 AM
At 7/17/2016 1:16:08 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/16/2016 11:33:21 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Jesus taught from the Spirit, knew the spirit and showed you the principles of the spirit.

LOL. You really have no clue what Jesus taught, do you.

You haven't read the Gospels have you? or the Epistles?

Get real. Spirituality is the application thereof. It's the application of the reality of God's "Kingdom" which in part are spiritual laws/principles.

LOL. That is an entirely meaningless statement, especially since you cannot show your "Gods Kingdom" has anything to do wit reality.

So then....you have no idea what principles are...and no idea what application means. Okay got it. If simple things elude you how can we ever discuss anything?

Yes, you were actually on your way to putting together a good definition, but you have yet to define spirituality.

You just contradicted yourself. That definition was for spirituality.

"Putting into practice or application" are already clearly defined terms. Spirituality is not.

Let's try that again...." spirituality is the practice of putting religious beliefs (what Jesus taught) spiritual principles/laws in action", it means to be active in spiritual affairs.

Hillary4Prez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 1:40:07 AM
I was raised Christian and just recently converted to Buddhism. The reason I changed was because one day I asked myself, "Why do we assume that there is a God?" After thinking about it for a while, I realized that theistic religions were based on unfounded assumptions. I was going to become an agnostic or an atheist but instead found Buddhism. It appeals to me because it promotes peace and nonviolence and contemplation of the world and the true nature of reality.