Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Life is more valuable to atheists

ConserativeDemocrat
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
If you are an atheist, you believe that when you die, you are gone. Not in hell, or in heaven, but gone. Your consciousness is gone forever. This is why life matters more to atheists. Religious people believe you have an afterlife, and this life is just a test,(Ignoring that God is omnipresent), while atheists believe this is all we got. This is why atheists commit much fewer crimes then the religious. Because we believe that if we go to jail or die, we wasted our life, and ruined others one shot. If you disbute this, please, explain why.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 3:19:47 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you dispute this, please, explain why.

I don't dispute the conclusion, CD, but think the argument might need further work. If life is more valuable to an atheist due to having a limited amount of it, then does the value increase or decrease as an atheist ages? And what about the value of other lives?

By similar inference, do monotheists who believe everyone is going to heaven forever regardless, value life more cheaply than monotheists who believe only some will go to heaven forever, depending on what they do in life?

I suspect the argument as it stands is invalid, CD, because it predicts consequences that aren't true. It may well be that atheists value life more because it's limited, and many atheists who were once people of faith report this. But I suspect the reasons are more complicated.
Willows
Posts: 2,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 12:47:24 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 3:19:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you dispute this, please, explain why.

I don't dispute the conclusion, CD, but think the argument might need further work. If life is more valuable to an atheist due to having a limited amount of it, then does the value increase or decrease as an atheist ages? And what about the value of other lives?

By similar inference, do monotheists who believe everyone is going to heaven forever regardless, value life more cheaply than monotheists who believe only some will go to heaven forever, depending on what they do in life?

I suspect the argument as it stands is invalid, CD, because it predicts consequences that aren't true. It may well be that atheists value life more because it's limited, and many atheists who were once people of faith report this. But I suspect the reasons are more complicated.

Well, I can't help notice lately that there are plenty of theists anxious to jump the gun and can't wait to get to heaven to sleep with 72 virgins. So sociable, they decide to take many others with them at the same time.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you are an atheist, you believe that when you die, you are gone. Not in hell, or in heaven, but gone. Your consciousness is gone forever. This is why life matters more to atheists. Religious people believe you have an afterlife, and this life is just a test,(Ignoring that God is omnipresent), while atheists believe this is all we got. This is why atheists commit much fewer crimes then the religious. Because we believe that if we go to jail or die, we wasted our life, and ruined others one shot. If you disbute this, please, explain why.

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police. The Christian believes God sees everything, and judges everything, this making them better citizens.
Jry2001
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 1:33:30 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you are an atheist, you believe that when you die, you are gone. Not in hell, or in heaven, but gone. Your consciousness is gone forever. This is why life matters more to atheists. Religious people believe you have an afterlife, and this life is just a test,(Ignoring that God is omnipresent), while atheists believe this is all we got. This is why atheists commit much fewer crimes then the religious. Because we believe that if we go to jail or die, we wasted our life, and ruined others one shot. If you disbute this, please, explain why.

However, to a selfish person, whether or not someone else's life would be ruined wouldn't really matter. Thus, if you're selfish, you wouldn't care if your actions would permanently remove someone else's counciousness or permanently ruin the rest of their lives. You would only care about your own life. This means that religion gives selfish people a reason to be moral; even if they don't care about where others would go when they die, they would still care about where they themselves would go. This holds true even with religions that stress salvation by faith, such as Christianity; Christianity states that actual faith should cause good works.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 1:41:03 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 12:47:24 PM, Willows wrote:
At 7/16/2016 3:19:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you dispute this, please, explain why.

I don't dispute the conclusion, CD, but think the argument might need further work. If life is more valuable to an atheist due to having a limited amount of it, then does the value increase or decrease as an atheist ages? And what about the value of other lives?

By similar inference, do monotheists who believe everyone is going to heaven forever regardless, value life more cheaply than monotheists who believe only some will go to heaven forever, depending on what they do in life?

I suspect the argument as it stands is invalid, CD, because it predicts consequences that aren't true. It may well be that atheists value life more because it's limited, and many atheists who were once people of faith report this. But I suspect the reasons are more complicated.

Well, I can't help notice lately that there are plenty of theists anxious to jump the gun and can't wait to get to heaven to sleep with 72 virgins. So sociable, they decide to take many others with them at the same time.

As long as you are sleeping , they won't lose their virginity.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
ConserativeDemocrat
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:16:14 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you are an atheist, you believe that when you die, you are gone. Not in hell, or in heaven, but gone. Your consciousness is gone forever. This is why life matters more to atheists. Religious people believe you have an afterlife, and this life is just a test,(Ignoring that God is omnipresent), while atheists believe this is all we got. This is why atheists commit much fewer crimes then the religious. Because we believe that if we go to jail or die, we wasted our life, and ruined others one shot. If you disbute this, please, explain why.

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police. The Christian believes God sees everything, and judges everything, this making them better citizens.

- There are 10 atheists in the general pop for every one in prison.
http://fivethirtyeight.com...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:21:30 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police.

That is complete and utter bs. Clueless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:32:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 5:21:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police.

That is complete and utter bs. Clueless.

Well, what level of discussion are you trying to throw down? b'cause I can play them all. I dated the devil, and I score drugs from her dad. I'm getting married to a goddess, and her parents spy on me. What can you say that I already haven't heard?
bigotry
Posts: 1,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:33:02 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 3:13:16 AM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
If you are an atheist, you believe that when you die, you are gone. Not in hell, or in heaven, but gone. Your consciousness is gone forever. This is why life matters more to atheists. Religious people believe you have an afterlife, and this life is just a test,(Ignoring that God is omnipresent), while atheists believe this is all we got. This is why atheists commit much fewer crimes then the religious. Because we believe that if we go to jail or die, we wasted our life, and ruined others one shot. If you disbute this, please, explain why.
Its also why you can live your life in relative terms of good and evil...nothing to answer for.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:39:01 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 5:32:29 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/16/2016 5:21:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police.

That is complete and utter bs. Clueless.

Well, what level of discussion are you trying to throw down? b'cause I can play them all. I dated the devil, and I score drugs from her dad. I'm getting married to a goddess, and her parents spy on me. What can you say that I already haven't heard?

You're not lying or insane.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,290
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:57:01 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/16/2016 5:39:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/16/2016 5:32:29 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 7/16/2016 5:21:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/16/2016 1:27:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

The atheist is far more prone to committing crimes since they believe there will be no consequences, unless caught by police.

That is complete and utter bs. Clueless.

Well, what level of discussion are you trying to throw down? b'cause I can play them all. I dated the devil, and I score drugs from her dad. I'm getting married to a goddess, and her parents spy on me. What can you say that I already haven't heard?

You're not lying or insane.

What's insane is insane as what's not. It just depends if your thinking, thinks it's correct in thought. You judge me based on what you know. You judge me based on your experience that indexes my value according to your own biography. So think what you want, but what you think will always be, just what you know.