Jump to topic:

Omnipotence means God can do anything?

Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 8:19:42 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Or, rather, that he can do anything that's possible according to his nature?

Which of course wouldn't be truly Omnipotent.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 9:22:39 PM
At 7/17/2016 8:19:42 PM, Kreakin wrote:

I am not sure why people tend to ascribe omnipotence to god when there is really no evidence of it.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 9:35:21 PM
Locke argues that our idea of God is a complex idea framed from simple ideas we have acquired through reflection on the operations of our own minds (Locke, Essay, 2.23.33; 3.6.11).

Which explains nicely why we think God looks like a man.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 9:46:12 PM
Omnipotent means more than that. It means that God does everything.

Everything in creation is done by the will of God.

How can you be omnipresent and omnipotent without being what is behind everything? The breath of God sustains everything, moves everything.

When The Ultimate Reality gives you a name, it says, "I AM THAT I AM".

It is what it is. The Way, The Truth, The Life. Living God.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:18:22 AM

God is not omnipotent, He is maximal. The first, actually restricts qualities of God and God is much more dynamic than people would generally imagine.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 3:32:03 AM
God is of course, not bound or restricted by anything.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:17:24 AM
At 7/17/2016 9:46:12 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Omnipotent means more than that. It means that God does everything.

Everything in creation is done by the will of God.

How can you be omnipresent and omnipotent without being what is behind everything? The breath of God sustains everything, moves everything.

When The Ultimate Reality gives you a name, it says, "I AM THAT I AM".

It is what it is. The Way, The Truth, The Life. Living God.

More lies.
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:51:07 AM
At 7/17/2016 9:22:39 PM, janesix wrote:

I am not sure why people tend to ascribe omnipotence to god when there is really no evidence of it.

"But Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:51:59 AM
At 7/18/2016 7:51:07 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 7/17/2016 9:22:39 PM, janesix wrote:

"But Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Well if God can do anything, why can't he repair my fridge?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:42:37 PM
Which is why, "the source behind every power" is different than saying "God can do anything!"

Omnipotent literally means that God is the source behind every power. All energy in the universe is of God. The breath of God permeates all of creation. The oldest word that was used to describe "spirit" in scripture means "breath".

The concept of spirit is practically identical to the modern scientific concept of energy. Some disingenuous people will pretend to be confused at this and say that spirit is a type of energy, but that isn't what I'm saying. Spirit and Energy are practically identical concepts. That's what I'm saying.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:51:19 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:42:37 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Which is why, "the source behind every power" is different than saying "God can do anything!"

Omnipotent literally means that God is the source behind every power. All energy in the universe is of God. The breath of God permeates all of creation. The oldest word that was used to describe "spirit" in scripture means "breath".

The concept of spirit is practically identical to the modern scientific concept of energy. Some disingenuous people will pretend to be confused at this and say that spirit is a type of energy, but that isn't what I'm saying. Spirit and Energy are practically identical concepts. That's what I'm saying.

Once again you don't get to decide what words mean.
You are a permanently bewildered poor ignorant godbotherer.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:59:50 PM

The concept of spirit is practically identical to the modern scientific concept of energy.
A scientifically literate pontificantes on science.

Here is what the Oxford dictionary's definition of spirit:
"
The non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul:
"we seek a harmony between body and spirit"

1.1The non-physical part of a person regarded as their true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation:
"a year after he left, his spirit is still present"

1.2The non-physical part of a person manifested as an apparition after their death; a ghost:
"a priest performed a rite of exorcism and the wandering spirit was ousted"
"
( http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...)

This the same dictionary's definition of energy:

"
1The strength and vitality required for sustained physical or mental activity:
"changes in the levels of vitamins can affect energy and well-being"

1.1 (energies) A person"s physical and mental powers:
"an alternative is to devote your energies to voluntary work"

2Power derived from the utilization of physical or chemical resources, especially to provide light and heat or to work machines:
"nuclear energy"
"
( http://www.oxforddictionaries.com... )

Anyone remotely impartial can see there are drastic differences between the two definitons. The implicativos are also vastly different.

You want to come in here and make a career out of of hillbilly ignorance, of systematic dishonesty and deliberate misrepresentation? Go ahead.

Expect to be busted every single time. And sometimes by nothing other than your precious Oxford dictionary.

Some disingenuous people will pretend to be confused at this and say that spirit is a type of energy, but that isn't what I'm saying. Spirit and Energy are practically identical concepts. That's what I'm saying.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:00:09 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:51:19 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah, the guy who is constantly trying to get people to read the dictionary is the one who is arbitrarily making up what words mean.

Yeah, that would be a believable accusation if it wasn't so obvious that you are projecting your own sins onto me. Atheists being arbitrary, who would have thought?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:03:47 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:00:09 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 7/19/2016 2:51:19 PM, bulproof wrote:

Yeah, the guy who is constantly trying to get people to read the dictionary is the one who is arbitrarily making up what words mean.

Yeah, that would be a believable accusation if it wasn't so obvious that you are projecting your own sins onto me. Atheists being arbitrary, who would have thought?
It's unfortunate that you don't even comprehend what you write.
Omnipotent literally means that God is the source behind every power
It doesn't LITERALLY mean that at all.
BTW I'm incapable of sin.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:09:55 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:03:47 PM, bulproof wrote:

Oh, but it does.

Full Definition of omni-
.: all : universally <omnidirectional>

Full Definition of potent
.: having or wielding force, authority, or influence : powerful
.: achieving or bringing about a particular result : effective
a : chemically or medicinally effective
b : rich in a characteristic constituent
.: able to copulate "usually used of the male

~~~~~~~

All influence? Universal force? Sounds like the source behind every power to me.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:15:27 PM
Why do you people assume that I'm intentionally being misleading? Are you all really that threatened?

No respect whatsoever. At least I give you all the courtesy of assuming that you're uneducated and arrogant.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:19:53 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:15:27 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Why do you people assume that I'm intentionally being misleading?

Because you've shown that time and time again. In fact, that's been your modus operandi since your days as Universal Theologian.

Are you all really that threatened?

Threatened by you?
Pfff.

No respect whatsoever.

The feeling is mutual.

At least I give you all the courtesy of assuming that you're uneducated and arrogant.

From you, I'll take that as a compliment.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:19:58 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:15:27 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Why do you people assume that I'm intentionally being misleading? Are you all really that threatened?

No respect whatsoever. At least I give you all the courtesy of assuming that you're uneducated and arrogant.

I don't assume it I see what you write and I know it.
Your god is a good fck according to your dictionary, wow I didn't even know he had a dick.
Oh wait that would be you.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:33:25 PM
Once again the observation is made....

Atheists.. They don't respect scripture, so if you use a neutral and academically respected source, they will deny it if it disagrees with what they think they already know.

Arbitrary and lawless.

But this should be expected, because an atheist is by definition someone who does not believe in "The Ultimate Reality", or if you go by Oxford, "The Supreme Being".

They don't care about the truth, the truth is meaningless to them. They are clowns, and deep down they know it.

They are certainly right to say that I have no respect for their position, because it is patently ridiculous. If I accuse them of being perverse or having not the love of truth, I do not speak on my own authority. This is what is written in scripture. I believe what is written, because I am a witness to it being true.

But no, it's all arbitrary right? To the atheist, certainly. To anyone with a sense of discernment, it's very clear.

So what are we talking about again? Oh, that's right.

Omnipotent literally means 'All Powerful" and "Universally Influential". In other words, despite the posturings of those who deny their Lord, their complaining does little more than make them little b!tches.

Who's your daddy?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:40:00 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:09:55 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 7/19/2016 3:03:47 PM, bulproof wrote:

Oh, but it does.

Full Definition of omni-
.: all : universally <omnidirectional>

Full Definition of potent
.: having or wielding force, authority, or influence : powerful
.: achieving or bringing about a particular result : effective
a : chemically or medicinally effective
b : rich in a characteristic constituent
.: able to copulate "usually used of the male

~~~~~~~

All influence? Universal force? Sounds like the source behind every power to me.

Alright richardhead I know that you are incredibly confused so I'll simplify it so that you might understand.
Show me where in your dictionary it claims that:
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:42:44 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:33:25 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Omnipotent literally means 'All Powerful" and "Universally Influential".
So you've changed your definition then. That just makes you a liar. That'll get you sent to hell ya know. hahahahaha
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:43:55 PM
The letter of the law kills, the spirit of the law brings life.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:45:14 PM

I don't think God is limited only by God's own nature, but by the limits of existence, itself.

Whatever God is, it is not logically, nor apparently, 'omnipotent'.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:47:23 PM
The mystery of why atheists are stupid. They don't understand the spirit of things. It's probably why they have such trouble with metaphors.

The sad thing is, even people with severe mental deformities are able to grasp these things, but for some reason the oh so intelligent atheists can't. Yeah, it's pretty obvious that there is something going on here besides incompetence.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:52:29 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:47:23 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The mystery of why atheists are stupid. They don't understand the spirit of things. It's probably why they have such trouble with metaphors.

The sad thing is, even people with severe mental deformities are able to grasp these things, but for some reason the oh so intelligent atheists can't. Yeah, it's pretty obvious that there is something going on here besides incompetence.

The question is whose incompetence is it? Religion by your relation here is a shell game. Its spirit, its energy, its nearly the same thing, its ultimate reality, its the power behind everything, even though its not discernible, by necessity it MUST be true...

C'mon, man. Simply put, atheists don't understand what you are relating because what you are relating minces in and out of metaphor to literal.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:57:41 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:45:14 PM, PureX wrote:

I don't think God is limited only by God's own nature, but by the limits of existence, itself.

Whatever God is, it is not logically, nor apparently, 'omnipotent'.

Reposted to clarify: It would have to be as you say, or be nature or something else, or a paradox occurs.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:02:17 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:47:23 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

What we have learned is that Spit doesn't understand the meanings of these words and probably many more.
Omnipotence
Literal
Arbitrary.

Please feel free to expand that list.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:02:49 PM

He cando anything. I could post a link to a beastiality site. You know what beastiality is. You could even practice it. You are even fully capable of it. Yet...would you click the link? Probably not.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...