Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:27:09 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Looking for discussion from people that believe the bible, thanx

Genesis 6
6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Who are the sons of God?
Who are the daughters of men?
How do the giants play into this text?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:09:04 PM
At 7/18/2016 12:27:09 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Genesis 6
6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Who are the sons of God?
There are different opinions on this. My opinion is the sons of God were human beings from the line of Seth. Their off-spring were normal human beings that had tremendous skills that gave them god-like status, but mere humans none-the-less. The giants were exceptionally tall humans akin to Goliath and other large groups of people mentioned throughout the OT.

In my opinion, there were no human/demon hybrids, as I think it's clear that angels were/are not able to reproduce.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:30:30 PM

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?

What a stupid fckin' story.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:47:43 PM

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?

Here ya go.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:39:02 PM
At 7/18/2016 2:09:04 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?
There are different opinions on this. My opinion is the sons of God were human beings from the line of Seth. Their off-spring were normal human beings that had tremendous skills that gave them god-like status, but mere humans none-the-less. The giants were exceptionally tall humans akin to Goliath and other large groups of people mentioned throughout the OT.

In my opinion, there were no human/demon hybrids, as I think it's clear that angels were/are not able to reproduce.

I don't understand your view, please expound. Why would God be angry for seths sons to procreate?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 9:16:10 PM
Who are the sons of God?

I have understood they were angel lords or something like that, because:

Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

Female beings that were offspring of men at that time. :)
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:50:02 PM
At 7/18/2016 9:16:10 PM, 12_13 wrote:
Who are the sons of God?

I have understood they were angel lords or something like that, because:

Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6
Yes Job references sons of God and they must be angels in that text. But does that necessarily mean that sons of God always means angels. We learn from Jesus teaching in Mathew and mark that angels do not procreate.

Female beings that were offspring of men at that time. :)
Most definitely but from whom? Perhaps from the line of seth?
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:47:20 AM
At 7/18/2016 8:39:02 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?

I don't understand your view, please expound. Why would God be angry for seths sons to procreate?
I didn't really directly suggest God was angry. We do see throughout the Bible where God commands his people not to marry outside their covenant, whether it be those of another nation, or non-believers, which is what I believe happened in the time of this type of intermarriage in Genesis. The offspring in this case became men of renown, people with certain skills. I don't see that in itself as being punishment anymore than King Solomon being highly intelligent even though it was not God's will for David to have relations with Solomon's mother Bathsheba.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 10:19:53 AM
At 7/19/2016 2:47:20 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?

I didn't really directly suggest God was angry. We do see throughout the Bible where God commands his people not to marry outside their covenant, whether it be those of another nation, or non-believers, which is what I believe happened in the time of this type of intermarriage in Genesis. The offspring in this case became men of renown, people with certain skills. I don't see that in itself as being punishment anymore than King Solomon being highly intelligent even though it was not God's will for David to have relations with Solomon's mother Bathsheba.

But the text for sure says he was angry enough to flood his creation.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 10:24:38 AM
I believe that the Sons of God are the line of Seth. The favored line of God. The daughters of men are the line of Cain. For Gods chosen people to interbreed with the people that God casted out was an abomination.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:16:07 PM
At 7/19/2016 10:19:53 AM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 7/19/2016 2:47:20 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Genesis 6

Who are the sons of God?

But the text for sure says he was angry enough to flood his creation.
Yes. God was mad when He saw the wickedness that prevailed at that time.

As far as sons of God/daughters of men offspring, they became mighty men as they were probably gifted by God, so I don't believe God was mad at them initially for being offspring of non-preferred union. When God bestows gifts, whatever it may be on anyone, it's meant to be a blessing, not a curse. God gifted Solomon even though he was a product of an non-preferred union. But gifts can be used unjustly, and obviously these men of renown were evidently as wicked as everyone else.

In my opinion, these men of renown became legends that lead to mythological deities like the Greek and Roman gods.