Jump to topic:

Hell

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:23:33 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
One can discuss hell - and indeed heaven - in the first half of the bible (the OT) quite quickly because there is no reference to either. Traditional Hebrew religion did not include the notions of an after life or immortal souls - death was the end of the individual.
That tradition was maintained in NT times by the Sadducees, thus we read in Matt 22:23
"That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question.".
The notions of afterlife, immortal souls and heaven and hell appeared in the period between the testaments as the Jews came increasingly under the influence of Hellenic culture - an influence that went so far as to result in the loss of their use of the Hebrew language.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:27:21 PM
At 7/18/2016 6:54:29 PM, Airaux2 wrote:
A dreadful topic, but would anyone like to discuss this from a biblical standpoint?

The bible says there will be gnashing of teeth and weeping in hell.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:07:54 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:27:21 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
A dreadful topic, but would anyone like to discuss this from a biblical standpoint?

From Luke 13:28 or Matt 13:42 both in the New Testament, of course. It seems fairly certain that the Christian conceptions of heaven and hell were based on the Hellenic (ie Greek) mythological realms of the dead Elysium (very nice) and Tartarus (not nice!).
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:36:21 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:20:51 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
It also says there will be a burning lake of sulphur.

Yeah, the priests came up with lots of guff to frighten their followers with, didn't they?

This stuff is such an obvious con that it is amazing anyone falls for It.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 9:16:16 PM

I just want to say:

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. "
Matt. 10:28-31

If you are interested, here is more about hell:

http://www.kolumbus.fi...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 9:35:03 PM

Very simply put, from the Bibles viewpoint hell is not a place it is a state. A state of complete unconsciousness from which the dead will be resurrected.

Not to be confused with the Lake of Fire (also referred to as gehenna) into which it, along with satan, the demons, the false prophets, death (as we currently experience it) and all unfaithful ones at the final test will be thrown to be destroyed forever in their own due time,

What hell is most definitely not in the Bible is a place of eternal torment, and any who claim it is are seriously slandering Christ and his father Jehovah, and will be judged accordingly.

Would poor suffering Job have begged to be put into a place of torment rather than suffer the boils he was afflicted with?

I think not.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:20:11 PM
At 7/18/2016 9:35:03 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Very simply put, from the Bibles viewpoint hell is not a place it is a state. A state of complete unconsciousness from which the dead will be resurrected.

Not to be confused with the Lake of Fire (also referred to as gehenna) into which it, along with satan, the demons, the false prophets, death (as we currently experience it) and all unfaithful ones at the final test will be thrown to be destroyed forever in their own due time,

What hell is most definitely not in the Bible is a place of eternal torment, and any who claim it is are seriously slandering Christ and his father Jehovah, and will be judged accordingly.

Would poor suffering Job have begged to be put into a place of torment rather than suffer the boils he was afflicted with?

I think not.

Hell would be something similar to what you are going through. Suicidal, clinically depresses, divorced 4 times, fifth wife gets pregnant with another mans baby, a woman you went into debt to support. You were diagnosed as permanently mentally handicapped and totally dependent on the Holy Spirit for guidance. And look at how far you have come. At 67 you live alone with a dog abandoned by family and friends and disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW elders. If that isn't hell how much worse does your condition have to get?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:24:12 PM
The story of Job is interesting because it shows quite clearly the original Judaic idea that God dispenses his blessing and punishments during one's normal eathly life in normal earthly ways, such as giving or taking away material wealth and giving or taking away health. Nowhere does Job or any other character speak of a posthumous fate.

Job's lament in (job chapter 3) presents death as eternal sleep or rest in the grave, ie oblivion, not afterlife. Life in those days was undoubtedly hard and difficult for almost everyone, so simple rest and peace and a release from backbraking toil and pain was something many would have craved, as Job does in this allegory.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:31:06 PM
At 7/18/2016 10:20:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I think not.

Hell would be something similar to what you are going through. Suicidal, clinically depresses, divorced 4 times, fifth wife gets pregnant with another mans baby, a woman you went into debt to support. You were diagnosed as permanently mentally handicapped and totally dependent on the Holy Spirit for guidance. And look at how far you have come. At 67 you live alone with a dog abandoned by family and friends and disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW elders. If that isn't hell how much worse does your condition have to get?
You are the most mean spirited member I have seen on the religious forums. Christ mentioned people who were treated like you are treating MCB. Luke 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:48:30 PM
At 7/18/2016 10:31:06 PM, Emmarie wrote:

I think not.

You are the most mean spirited member I have seen on the religious forums. Christ mentioned people who were treated like you are treating MCB. Luke 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

I had nothing to do with the condition or state of mind of MCB. He credited all his guidance and scriptural awakening to Jehovah and the Holy Spirit. My post is really an appeal to Jehovah and the Holy Spirit that there is no hell worse than suffering the consequences of their embrace.
The poor man has been looking for love in all the wrong places. But having found Jehovah and the Holy Spirit should not his burden be lifted.
MCB abondaned his own children over 20 years ago. Why is he burdened to accept another mans baby as his own because his 5th wife got pregnant by a stranger?
I even appealed to,other JW members to come to MCB assistance. But it appears I am the only one who cares. Maybe you can do better. Go ahead comfort the man.
Airaux2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:16:02 AM
At 7/18/2016 10:48:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I think not.

I had nothing to do with the condition or state of mind of MCB. He credited all his guidance and scriptural awakening to Jehovah and the Holy Spirit. My post is really an appeal to Jehovah and the Holy Spirit that there is no hell worse than suffering the consequences of their embrace.
The poor man has been looking for love in all the wrong places. But having found Jehovah and the Holy Spirit should not his burden be lifted.
MCB abondaned his own children over 20 years ago. Why is he burdened to accept another mans baby as his own because his 5th wife got pregnant by a stranger?
I even appealed to,other JW members to come to MCB assistance. But it appears I am the only one who cares. Maybe you can do better. Go ahead comfort the man.
Thanks, everyone, for contributing. It is something that has terrified me, to varying degrees, for thirty years. Luke talks of the rich man and Lazarus, but in Ecclesiastes, it seems to say that the dead are unconscious. I've heard different interpretations and I don't know what the truth is.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:02:10 AM
If you are still reading Aero, the attitude towards heaven, hell and the afterlife is indeed completely different between the testaments, ie between NT Luke and OT Ecclesiastes.

As a non-believer, I think of that as a notable change in Hebrew/Jewish mythology, roughly datable to the inter-testamentary period which can be put down to the considerable influence of Hellenic culture had all around the Mediterranean at that time. I don't know what a believer is supposed to make of it!
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:26:22 AM

I think not.

Maybe God provides him his daily bread and comforts his soul. I'm not making this claim, only MCB knows.
That's between him and his wife and God. Women in the OT were forced to accept other women's offspring.
He didn't accept my attempts at compassion toward him several weeks ago, he insinuated that I am satanically influenced by the way I interpret scripture. You may agree with him on that point - lol. It matters not though, anyone is entitled to their opinion. It isn't something that I would wish him agony or hell for.

The personal details of his life are of no significance to where he stands with God. That is strictly God's domain to judge. I just wanna know how posting the details of his life, helps him in any way. Are you trying to discredit his religion or beliefs because of his choices in his life? Life's not fair in many instances. There are many outright wicked people who live comfortable, worry free lives. Are we to assume they are preferred by God, according to your "blueprint"?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:35:06 PM
At 7/19/2016 12:16:02 AM, Airaux2 wrote:

I think not.

Thanks, everyone, for contributing. It is something that has terrified me, to varying degrees, for thirty years. Luke talks of the rich man and Lazarus, but in Ecclesiastes, it seems to say that the dead are unconscious. I've heard different interpretations and I don't know what the truth is.

Common sense should tell you not to listen to people who don't practice what they preach.
The Jehovah's Witnesses have the worst record. Highest suicide rates, highest levels of mental illness, poor education, 40,000 pedophiles and many many disfellowshipped and shunned members wandering around lost and abandoned.
Much of the blame for these abnormal statistics is blamed on the changing doctrines that leave the poorly educated congregation bewildered and confused.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:41:02 PM

Yes, they were familiar with volcanic activity which originated underground.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:11:33 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:26:22 AM, Emmarie wrote:

I think not.

Maybe God provides him his daily bread and comforts his soul. I'm not making this claim, only MCB knows.
That's between him and his wife and God. Women in the OT were forced to accept other women's offspring.
He didn't accept my attempts at compassion toward him several weeks ago, he insinuated that I am satanically influenced by the way I interpret scripture. You may agree with him on that point - lol. It matters not though, anyone is entitled to their opinion. It isn't something that I would wish him agony or hell for.

The personal details of his life are of no significance to where he stands with God. That is strictly God's domain to judge. I just wanna know how posting the details of his life, helps him in any way. Are you trying to discredit his religion or beliefs because of his choices in his life? Life's not fair in many instances. There are many outright wicked people who live comfortable, worry free lives. Are we to assume they are preferred by God, according to your "blueprint"?
The details of his life were published by MCB himself. I am sure it was done to offer an explanation why he needed Jehovah in his life. But the scriptures tell us." As a man sows so shall he reap. " that we are to " Judge a tree by the fruit it bears."
With all the recent developments. It does appear he continues to be punished by Jehovah. I have drawn attention to his pain and appealed to all to take his confessions into consideration and to find better reasons for celebrating God and His grace.

The scriptures also disqualifies the person who cannot provide for or manage his family.

1 Timothy 5:8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

1 Timothy 3:5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?

I am sorry to hear he rejected your sympathy and compassion. He has become paranoid and thinks Satan is the cause of all his past transgressions. He has yet to take responsibility for his actions and we are here to make sure he does.

Jesus was sacrificed for our sins and by faith we are all saved. To see someone still struggling with so many unwarranted failures is no longer an issue of good or evil. It is a mental condition that need serious therapy. Unfortunately the Bible has no concept of mental illness and one can spend their entire life searching for daemons.

Please continue to find a place in your heart for the many troubled members on DDO.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:32:15 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:27:21 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

The bible also says that plants grow at -454C without sunlight, I think we can safely ignore what the bible says.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:39:42 PM

If its eternal, how does the Sulphur get replenished?

If its supernatural Sulphur, why use Sulphur in the first place? Why not just a supernatural fire that needs no fuel?

Ahh....so many questions ;)
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:51:02 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:39:42 PM, matt8800 wrote:

If its supernatural Sulphur, why use Sulphur in the first place? Why not just a supernatural fire that needs no fuel?

Because sulphur is stinky. It's double the torture. As you burn in the sulphur lake, you can inhale sulphur. Fun right?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 2:53:26 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:51:02 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Because sulphur is stinky. It's double the torture. As you burn in the sulphur lake, you can inhale sulphur. Fun right?

Be afraid, be very afraid of the boogyman god.
hahahahahaha
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:05:21 PM
At 7/19/2016 2:51:02 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Not only would one be burned alive for eternity with weeping and gnashing of teeth, it would be stinky too. :)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:24:07 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:13:49 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Those who practice magic will go to hell. It says that in the bible.
The bible also says that plants grow at -454C without sunlight, I think we can safely ignore what the bible says.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:41:13 PM

Plus, if you're being burned, wouldn't that annihilate your olfactory sense at some point?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:08:39 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:13:49 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Those who practice magic will go to hell. It says that in the bible.

David Copperfield is doomed...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:15:09 PM
At 7/19/2016 3:41:13 PM, Omniverse wrote:

Plus, if you're being burned, wouldn't that annihilate your olfactory sense at some point?
But who's running the show? God can't go there despite his omnipresence and satan is strapped to spiritual hand trolley and locked in a spiritual glass cage wearing a spiritual mask. We might as well just go and turn the fires off.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:23:36 PM

The bible says it is a second death. Also you still are breathing if your thrown into a normal fire.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:26:10 PM
At 7/19/2016 4:23:36 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

The bible says it is a second death. Also you still are breathing if your thrown into a normal fire.
The bible also says that plants grow at -454C without sunlight and that snakes and donkeys talk, I think we can safely ignore what the bible says.