Jump to topic:

Atheism is depressing

KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:00:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
You live, you die, that's it. Sorry, you will never see your parents or wife again, cause atheism. Religion gives hope for an afterlife. No wonder it has billions of followers.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:28:50 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:00:29 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
You live, you die, that's it. Sorry, you will never see your parents or wife again, cause atheism. Religion gives hope for an afterlife. No wonder it has billions of followers.

That doesn't lend any credence to it being true, though - just grants one explanation as to why it's so popular. Reality is often tough and it doesn't care, so people tend to retreat into more comfortable and pleasant beliefs. We intelligent beings pay heavily for our intellect with our ability to realize our own mortality and inevitable demise.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:41:18 PM

Religion is depressing. "Join us or go to hell to suffer for all eternity".

Seriously, if religion is right most people are going to hell, which is something no one deserves.
Meh!
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:43:49 PM

And crack and cocaine can claim the same thing.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:52:45 PM

So Kendo, you could be happy in a heaven that you dwelled in, but your parents and wife didn't? You're okay with a system of cosmic justice that sends your wife off to a different destination just because she comes from a different doctrinal tradition, or has come to her own conclusions? You'll be happy knowing your old man, who may have been secretly unfaithful, pays an incommensurate price for his infidelity despite being a loving father, while a man who adheres scrupulously to religious doctrine yet never respected his children gets to hang with his kids?

As an atheist I believe all theological doctrine to be twaddle, taught by the cynical to the ignorant. But regardless of the truth of that, there's nothing in any afterlife I've seen that I actually want, or would wish to inflict on any other human being.

And I adore my wife.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:57:42 PM

Atheism has a henderence in psychology. It actually causes many to kill themselves, gives no purpose, or meaning, and is affixed on the negative in OCD fashion. Atheism is what happens when you give up.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:15:58 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:57:42 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Atheism has a henderence in psychology. It actually causes many to kill themselves, gives no purpose, or meaning, and is affixed on the negative in OCD fashion. Atheism is what happens when you give up.

OK craptor, I give up. What is a henderence, I can't even think of a word near it. Is it something to do with chickens?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:19:07 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:15:58 PM, desmac wrote:

OK craptor, I give up. What is a henderence, I can't even think of a word near it. Is it something to do with chickens?

Speaking of chickens...are you going to challenge me to a debate on God?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:23:11 PM

Who says Atheism has to be depressing? Unless, you just want to assert a conclusion that you have not done any pondering on.

I am an Atheist, and i have the most hopeful thoughts toward an afterlife... i believe in an afterlife - it just doesn't require a god to have my belief... i actually found it illogical to have a god, and more logical without a god. Bottom line, i have an afterlife belief... so what are you trying to say here?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:31:27 PM

You have no idea whether an afterlife exists. Retreating into fantasies instead of dealing with reality is immature.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:44:51 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:19:07 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The usual non-answer.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:49:18 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:44:51 PM, desmac wrote:

The usual non-answer.

The usual fear to debate me.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:54:40 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:49:18 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The usual non-answer.

What on earth would be the point of debating with someone who uses made up words?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:55:35 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:54:40 PM, desmac wrote:
At 7/18/2016 8:49:18 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The usual non-answer.

What on earth would be the point of debating with someone who uses made up words?

None if you're afraid and can't back up atheism.

KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:14:55 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:52:45 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

So Kendo, you could be happy in a heaven that you dwelled in, but your parents and wife didn't? You're okay with a system of cosmic justice that sends your wife off to a different destination just because she comes from a different doctrinal tradition, or has come to her own conclusions? You'll be happy knowing your old man, who may have been secretly unfaithful, pays an incommensurate price for his infidelity despite being a loving father, while a man who adheres scrupulously to religious doctrine yet never respected his children gets to hang with his kids?

As an atheist I believe all theological doctrine to be twaddle, taught by the cynical to the ignorant. But regardless of the truth of that, there's nothing in any afterlife I've seen that I actually want, or would wish to inflict on any other human being.

And I adore my wife.

That's why it's important to most people that their loved ones are saved and will go to heaven. I don't know, it's just depressing to think that about 75 to 80 years is all you get, then nothing. My point was the message of atheism is depressing. People like hope, true or not. The appeal of religion seems to be pretty obvious.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:28:31 PM

To me, that sounds better than heaven and hell when you actually think about it. Hell, is obvious.

Heaven in an eternal place, that you can't get escape from either. An infinite duration, with eventual boredom setting in way before you've served half your time.

As Ruv alluded to, you run the risk of friends and family not being there, there seems to be a unanimous agreement that you can't commit sin in heaven either, so half of the fun things you can do; and half of what makes us human is removed from us.

I can't see that being removed from me, personally, without changing the fundamentals of who I am.

Now, I'm sure if I was taken to a pscyh ward, dosed up with mind altering drugs that left me incapable of being unhappy and incapable of breaking any of the rules, I'd probably be happy, but no one in their right mind would chose any time at all in that place if they had a choice; leave alone for all eternity.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:28:34 PM

I guess it is depressing compared to religion. Reality does tend to be depressing compared to fiction. Religion gives people false hopes and promises of a Godly disneyworld in the sky in exchange for people's worship and financial support.

The problem with religion is that if those wonderful promises of an afterlife are wrong and you spent your whole life living a boring holy life full of church, prayer, and scripture reading, and did very little of those worldly sinful things, then you die, and that is it.

If you actually understand that there is no afterlife and this is your one life to live to the fullest then you can actually make something of your life before it ends. We atheists are the ones who feel pity for many religious people who spend their precious minutes in all the wrong ways chasing fantasies.

So I don't suggest you believe some happy story where sacrifice in this life leads to reward in the next and realize that reality doesn't really care what makes you happy to believe, it is what it is. What matters is that you believe what is right and make the best of it or you risk throwing your life away for a fantasy.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:40:16 PM

I tend to agree, but that doesn't make it wrong.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:22:29 PM

There are people who reject the comforting lie in favour of reality.

If there is an after-life (a very, very remote possibility) then it exists regardless of whether you believe in it or not. The question then becomes, what are the entrance criteria? This is where religion imposes itself and makes all kinds of wild and unsubstantiated assertions.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:30:10 PM

Exactly. People struggle to accept the reality of life so look for any Crum of comfort they can get by believing a variety of religions with crazy prospects for eternal life despite these religions having no supporting evidence and being extremely easy to disprove.
Fatihah claiming he would knock out Olympic boxing gold medallist Katie Taylor and relishing the prospect of "dropping" me to make me shut up:

"I would knock you both out with ease, and drop you first so I can stop hearing you whine all the time about your jealousy for not being born a man. It's not the Qur'ans fault that the monkey you evolved from didn't ensure that you your born with the penis you so desperately want".

Fatihah, showcasing Islam in all its glory!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:03:43 AM

Hope? That's it? That's what makes you turn to religion?

What if religion is wrong or lying? That would be quite disappointing and humiliating, don't you think?

If you value hope so much as to change your entire life to follow a religion, then your life isn't really much value to you in the first place.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Axon85
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:39:03 AM

You've done a good job illustrating how religion has been "intelligently designed" so as to appeal to the primal fears & desires of humanity (as opposed to reason or evidence). No wonder it has billions of followers.
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:26:03 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:03:43 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hope? That's it? That's what makes you turn to religion?

What if religion is wrong or lying? That would be quite disappointing and humiliating, don't you think?

If you value hope so much as to change your entire life to follow a religion, then your life isn't really much value to you in the first place.

I'd rather believe in God and be wrong, then not believe in God and be wrong (hell)
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:33:05 AM

I agree - it has always seemed rather depressing to me. Under atheism the entire universe is no more than some statistical fluke, as are stars, planets, life, consciousness, experience, etc. Since everything is relative then physics is really no more that a system of measurements, or physical comparisons, between things which have no intrinsic reality of their own, and which will leave existence as surely as it enters it. In other words, it's all just one big cluster-F. All research, enjoyment, commitment, etc. is meaningless. Basically everything we know is just some evil paste which spreads until it doesn't or cant. Sounds pretty depressing.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:53:49 AM
At 7/18/2016 10:14:55 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
At 7/18/2016 7:52:45 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
So Kendo, you could be happy in a heaven that you dwelled in, but your parents and wife didn't?
That's why it's important to most people that their loved ones are saved and will go to heaven.
But that's not likely, is it? There are thousands of incompatible doctrines in Christianity alone. You cannot satisfy one without breaching mandatory tenets of others. So which is more important: keep the family rigidly adhering to one doctrine and consequently sharing the same fate, or letting each member of the family live a life of dignity and conscience, knowing that there's virtually no likelihood they'll share an afterlife together?

That's the future offered by religion's doctrinal extortion. Do you truly view that as hope, Kendo, or a diabolical dilemma the religious prefer not to think about?

I think about it because being of no faith, I'm allowed to think about whatever I want -- and I think it far more dismal.

I don't know, it's just depressing to think that about 75 to 80 years is all you get, then nothing.
Depressing, or merely sad?

I have gay friends of faith who have elected to live authentically, expressing their sexuality, sincerely believing it damns them to hell forever.

I have female friends who believe it's doctrinally wrong to not to submit to their fathers and husbands, and I have friends of faith in miserable marriages who believe it's wrong to divorce.

At the end of my life, Kendo, I merely die and that's no problem for anyone with the courage, humility and honesty to face it. And meanwhile, while I live, if through my own ignorance or folly I find my morality cruel or short-sighted, I can reflect, research, learn and improve it whenever I want without being told what to value or how to live.

Consequently, I don't suffer fits of depression and self-loathing in the name of the unevidenced bribery you've chosen to call hope. I've never been anxious about the destination of any friend or family member after they die. I've tried to self-harm for fear of a greater punishment later, or pretend I was someone I wasn't to avoid censure of my parish, or remain trapped in a marriage I didn't like, or get told where to direct my donations or how to spend my weekends, or whom to love, or whom to marry, or what to eat, or with whom to have sex or when or how, or whom to call friend, or what to believe or how much to believe it, or feel obliged to make excuses for clergy I suspect of abusing children, or have to endure liars patronising me and claiming knowledge and authority they don't actually have.

I can well imagine all those things can be very depressing, because dishonesty, injustice, corruption and systematic disrespect are utterly oppressive -- while death is at most, merely sad.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:30:00 AM
At 7/19/2016 1:33:05 AM, Idealist wrote:
I agree - it has always seemed rather depressing to me. Under atheism the entire universe is no more than some statistical fluke, as are stars, planets, life, consciousness, experience, etc. Since everything is relative then physics is really no more that a system of measurements, or physical comparisons, between things which have no intrinsic reality of their own, and which will leave existence as surely as it enters it. In other words, it's all just one big cluster-F. All research, enjoyment, commitment, etc. is meaningless. Basically everything we know is just some evil paste which spreads until it doesn't or cant. Sounds pretty depressing.

That's ironic because I've always thought religion was really depressing. You are born into religion based on culture. If you're born white in America, chances are you're Christian. Maybe Jewish. If you live in the Middle East or Pakistan, you're indoctrinated Muslim. Or indoctrinated Hindu in India. You're brainwashed and manipulated by fear to believe in highly improbable absurdities based on where and when you happen to be born. Then you are often taught to reject or hate things that aren't necessarily harmful based on arbitrary rules that are meant to control people on archaic values. You're taught that you need something or someone else to be fulfilled. Religion convinces unprepared and underdeveloped minds that they are broken and need to be fixed; lost and need to be found; unworthy and need to be saved; sheep that need to be led; are weak and in need of another's strength; and are righteous only if they have faith. I also think it's depressing and rather pathetic that most religious people are motivated to be moral only by threat of punishment (Hell) or promise of reward (Heaven) after death. Indeed that is very depressing.
President of DDO
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:37:47 AM
At 7/18/2016 10:28:31 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

To me, that sounds better than heaven and hell when you actually think about it. Hell, is obvious.

Heaven in an eternal place, that you can't get escape from either. An infinite duration, with eventual boredom setting in way before you've served half your time.

As Ruv alluded to, you run the risk of friends and family not being there, there seems to be a unanimous agreement that you can't commit sin in heaven either, so half of the fun things you can do; and half of what makes us human is removed from us.

I can't see that being removed from me, personally, without changing the fundamentals of who I am.

What do you mean by this ?

Now, I'm sure if I was taken to a pscyh ward, dosed up with mind altering drugs that left me incapable of being unhappy and incapable of breaking any of the rules, I'd probably be happy, but no one in their right mind would chose any time at all in that place if they had a choice; leave alone for all eternity.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:42:00 AM
At 7/18/2016 11:30:10 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Exactly. People struggle to accept the reality of life so look for any Crum of comfort they can get by believing a variety of religions with crazy prospects for eternal life despite these religions having no supporting evidence and being extremely easy to disprove.

I am in favour of any holocaust that wipes off white women's population off earth.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:46:53 AM
At 7/19/2016 3:30:00 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/19/2016 1:33:05 AM, Idealist wrote:

That's ironic because I've always thought religion was really depressing. You are born into religion based on culture. If you're born white in America, chances are you're Christian. Maybe Jewish. If you live in the Middle East or Pakistan, you're indoctrinated Muslim. Or indoctrinated Hindu in India. You're brainwashed and manipulated by fear to believe in highly improbable absurdities based on where and when you happen to be born. Then you are often taught to reject or hate things that aren't necessarily harmful based on arbitrary rules that are meant to control people on archaic values. You're taught that you need something or someone else to be fulfilled. Religion convinces unprepared and underdeveloped minds that they are broken and need to be fixed; lost and need to be found; unworthy and need to be saved; sheep that need to be led; are weak and in need of another's strength; and are righteous only if they have faith. I also think it's depressing and rather pathetic that most religious people are motivated to be moral only by threat of punishment (Hell) or promise of reward (Heaven) after death. Indeed that is very depressing.

'indoctrinated Hindu in India'??????????????????

Pakistan?????? ??? ??? ??
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 3:53:52 AM
At 7/19/2016 3:46:53 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
'indoctrinated Hindu in India'??????????????????

Pakistan?????? ??? ??? ??

Huh? Over 80% of the Indian population is Hindu. So yes. I meant to say that people in India are indoctrinated into Hinduism.
President of DDO