Are We God's Entertainment?

CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 8:19:02 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Scenario:

An omnipotent being, that we will refer to as God, wants to create mortal non-omnipotent beings that we will refer to as Humans.

But, first, God creates a concept that we will refer to as "Morality".

God then creates Humans that by default can not perfectly adhere to His concept of "morality".

God tells the Humans that if they can follow his rules and be "moral" that they can attend his After Death After Party. He also tells them that they should try really hard because He wants them at His party and he will be disappointed if they can't show up.

God intentionally sets up a system where Humans will be tempted to be less "moral".

Humans die and God judges them. If a Human wasn't "moral enough" then they are put on eternal janitorial duty to clean up after those who were "moral enough" and make it into the after party.

Many humans make it into the after party, but some don't.

Commentary

Basically, what I want to know is whether or not we are just God's play toys?

This is a concept and question that I have been thinking really deeply about for a while now.
This story is more or less the narrative that I feel most Christian faiths tell their believers.

I have a very hard time understanding how or why this story gives people comfort.

It really makes me wonder; what is God's goal with all of this life, heaven, and hell stuff?
He is definitely capable of making beings that don't need to even be judged because they are just perfect to begin with.

Doesn't this all just seems like a game to You? A sick and twisted game that God is playing with OUR lives?
He basically sets us up an obstacle course for us, shoots us in the leg, and then tells us to finish the course in under 2:00 minutes while He sits back and enjoys the show.

I'm trying very hard to not be cynical here because I'm looking for some genuine answers about why there is anything objectively good about any of this.

This question is also in relation to a debate I'm currently arguing.
Check it out if you are interested.
http://www.debate.org...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 8:45:12 AM
At 7/19/2016 8:19:02 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:
Scenario:

An omnipotent being, that we will refer to as God, wants to create mortal non-omnipotent beings that we will refer to as Humans.

God then creates Humans that by default can not perfectly adhere to His concept of "morality".

God tells the Humans that if they can follow his rules and be "moral" that they can attend his After Death After Party. He also tells them that they should try really hard because He wants them at His party and he will be disappointed if they can't show up.

God intentionally sets up a system where Humans will be tempted to be less "moral".

Humans die and God judges them. If a Human wasn't "moral enough" then they are put on eternal janitorial duty to clean up after those who were "moral enough" and make it into the after party.

Commentary

This is a concept and question that I have been thinking really deeply about for a while now.
This story is more or less the narrative that I feel most Christian faiths tell their believers.

I have a very hard time understanding how or why this story gives people comfort.

It really makes me wonder; what is God's goal with all of this life, heaven, and hell stuff?
He is definitely capable of making beings that don't need to even be judged because they are just perfect to begin with.

Doesn't this all just seems like a game to You? A sick and twisted game that God is playing with OUR lives?
He basically sets us up an obstacle course for us, shoots us in the leg, and then tells us to finish the course in under 2:00 minutes while He sits back and enjoys the show.

I'm trying very hard to not be cynical here because I'm looking for some genuine answers about why there is anything objectively good about any of this.

Do you believe there is a god?
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 8:59:46 AM
The parable I would use is God as Dr. Frankenstein and humans as his loved yet grotesque and menacing monster(s).
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:06:43 AM
At 7/19/2016 8:59:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:
The parable I would use is God as Dr. Frankenstein and humans as his loved yet grotesque and menacing monster(s).

Yes, that would qualify as entertainment.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:23:22 AM
At 7/19/2016 9:06:43 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 7/19/2016 8:59:46 AM, ironslippers wrote:

Yes, that would qualify as entertainment.

Meh, Dr. Frankenstein wasn't omnipotent though.
If he was, then his monster(s) were grotesque and menacing by design.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:24:57 AM
At 7/19/2016 8:45:12 AM, janesix wrote:

I'm agnostic, so I don't not believe there is a God.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:51:41 AM
At 7/19/2016 9:24:57 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:

You mean -

I'm atheist, so I don't not believe there is a God.

or

I'm agnostic, we can't know there is a God.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 9:57:34 AM
At 7/19/2016 9:51:41 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 7/19/2016 9:24:57 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:

You mean -

I'm atheist, so I don't not believe there is a God.

or

I'm agnostic, we can't know there is a God.

No. >_> I mean what I said.

How about this?

I'm agnostic, we can't know there isn't a God.

Lul. Agnosticism goes both ways.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:31:21 PM
At 7/19/2016 8:19:02 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:
Scenario:

Commentary

Somehow I can picture God and Allah up there in Heaven in the Gods club having a great time (it has a membership of around 10,000). God says, "Hey look at this" as he drops a few pianos on unsuspecting victims down below. Allah then replies, "So what, see that guy in the truck down there..........."