Jump to topic:

Double Standard

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:37:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This thread was inspired by CN's recent one (though we've talked about this before) in which I saw this:

At 12/24/2010 12:45:16 PM, Koopin wrote:
I hate when people try to preach atheism.

When I got to NYC the other day, I saw the sign on the highway that's created a ridiculous amount of controversy -- "You KNOW it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason!"

http://sharing.wthitv.com...

I'm disgusted by the big to-do about the sign. Christians take every opportunity to preach, yet they "hate when people preach atheism." Too bad. I'm so fvcking sick and tired of atheists being expected to not step on anybody's toes when we are never shown the same consideration. Everything Christians b!tch about is entirely hypocritical. There are God billboards on the highway EVERYWHERE. Here's one of zillions.

http://socialpsychologyeye.files.wordpress.com...

If I were to go to a church, and during the middle of the mass got up and started shouting "YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID! JESUS IS A MYTH" then all hell would break loose (pun intended). I guarantee you it would make the evening news. Doing such a thing is z0mg so fvcking disrespectful amirite?!?!?!!! Yet it's perfectly kosher for the hateful, hypocritical zealots to rain on my parade (yep, another intended pun) by literally getting on mega-phones and screaming about how we're all going to hell at Gay Pride. There we are doing nothing harmful, and everyone is having a good time, being merry, enjoying the experience and trying to celebrate something we are massively oppressed for - yet they have no problem showing up by the dozen to stand on their soap box and condemn OUR beliefs and our lives.

Apparently atheists have to mind their P's and Q's for the sake of being PC, though there is no expectation in society for theists to show the same respect. At this point I'm so sick and tired of this scathing hypocrisy that I feel absolutely no obligation to not speak my mind (as they do) whenever I please. I see no reason to hold back on saying god is a crock of sh!t if they see no reason to hold back saying god is _____ and god wants ______ . Lol orly? Did god tell you this? If you believe so then I hate to say it - but you're not a Christian bro... you're schizophrenic.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:40:33 AM
"I hate when people try to preach atheism."

Where does it say that atheists should not preach? The man stated his opinion, and he has every right to do so. Of course, you also have the right to get outraged for nothing.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:42:33 AM
At 12/25/2010 10:40:33 AM, Mirza wrote:

Where does it say that atheists should not preach? The man stated his opinion, and he has every right to do so. Of course, you also have the right to get outraged for nothing.

Where did I ever say he didn't have that right?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:44:40 AM
Edit: I know he has a right to say it (and I have a right to get mad... sorry, I misunderstood your original post). My point was not about Koopin specifically. My point was that society would not tolerate atheists going somewhere (like church) where they were participating in something culturally important to them, yet nobody bats an eyelash when theists do the same thing to atheists. I was talking in general terms, hence my discussion about the sign. The thread was merely inspired by Koopin's assertion.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:44:48 AM
At 12/25/2010 10:42:33 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 12/25/2010 10:40:33 AM, Mirza wrote:

Where did I ever say he didn't have that right?
Did I say you said it? No. He stated his opinion that he hates when people preach atheism. What is wrong with this? Perhaps you have never claimed anything similar against theist preachers? He didn't say we should stop atheists from preaching, he didn't say atheists should be treated differently; he merely said what he felt.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:48:14 AM
At 12/25/2010 10:44:40 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Edit: I know he has a right to say it (and I have a right to get mad... sorry, I misunderstood your original post). My point was not about Koopin specifically. My point was that society would not tolerate atheists going somewhere (like church) where they were participating in something culturally important to them, yet nobody bats an eyelash when theists do the same thing to atheists. I was talking in general terms, hence my discussion about the sign. The thread was merely inspired by Koopin's assertion.
I don't know where you have that from. If anything, atheists seem to be tolerated very well in your society.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 11:02:01 AM

I'm disgusted by the big to-do about the sign. Christians take every opportunity to preach, yet they "hate when people preach atheism." Too bad. I'm so fvcking sick and tired of atheists being expected to not step on anybody's toes when we are never shown the same consideration. Everything Christians b!tch about is entirely hypocritical. There are God billboards on the highway EVERYWHERE. Here's one of zillions.:

I think the point is, what is there to preach about, aside from the scathing hatred of religious zealots? It's like getting on a soapbox just for the sake of standing up there.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 2:34:15 PM
We have (had?) this in my city http://en.wikipedia.org... and the Christians were up in arms. The sign says "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and live your lives". They were on the inside of the buses. There was another thing in my city called "Obey" that had the Christians angry. They were posters that had some ridiculous advice on it targeted to teenagers and said "OBEY". I wish I could find an example...

I personally don't see a problem with it. They bought the ad space and I think it's fair. However, the electronic sign on the front of the bus that usually says if the bus is out of service says "MERRY CHRISTMAS" and nobody has to pay for that, the mall is playing Christmas songs and has Christmas decorations everywhere, and nobody has a problem with it. We dress up at work for Christmas and nobody has a problem with it. But when we wear Indian clothes for Diwali people say "This is not Halloween, why are they dressed like that?" Of course it's a double standard.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 6:33:42 PM
Lwerd.

You should really calm down.

Being an @sshole about anything is not okay, particularly about people's beliefs.

Second, atheism is not really a belief system. It's non-belief. It's essentially an entire perspective based on derision for people who are religious. In other words, atheists depend on the religious to be atheists. Without Christians and such, atheists would be nothing more than angry lesbians pontificating and the like.

On one hand, Christians should never be judgmental if they intend to be genuine about their beliefs. They should love and embrace everyone, despite their perspectives or behavior, which are no better or worse.

Along the same vein, atheists, if they were truly reasonable and sincere, should take advantage of the opportunity to spend time with their family, be decent to one another, and simply be generally happy, rather than being angry and iconoclastic, which appears nothing but irrational.

Merry Christmas.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 6:48:03 PM
At 12/25/2010 6:33:42 PM, Ren wrote:
It's essentially an entire perspective based on derision for people who are religious. In other words, atheists depend on the religious to be atheists. Without Christians and such, atheists would be nothing more than angry lesbians pontificating and the like.

wow lol. first, not all atheists are lesbians; atheism and sexuality aren't really related. second, atheism has nothing to do with derision for religious people. its a rejection of religious claims, which happen to be ubiquitous in society.

also my above post was @ tullekrazy.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 7:11:14 PM
It's essentially an entire perspective based on derision for people who are religious. In other words, atheists depend on the religious to be atheists. Without Christians and such, atheists would be nothing more than angry lesbians pontificating and the like.

wow lol. first, not all atheists are lesbians; atheism and sexuality aren't really related.

atheists would be nothing more than angry lesbians pontificating and the like

I was just kidding, girlie.

second, atheism has nothing to do with derision for religious people. its a rejection of religious claims, which happen to be ubiquitous in society.

Are you suggesting that atheism is fringe? Because, disestablismentarianism is the norm.

also my above post was @ tullekrazy.

I don't think I've ever said this to you directly, so:

Although I fancy that you don't like me very much, I rather favor you; thus, I appreciate the attention you give my posts. Merry Christmas. :)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 8:13:08 PM
L I have an idea. Nobody listens to how atheists are oppressed, but for years I have studied different religions and pretended to be part of them.
The most memorable time was in 7th grade when I pretended o be jewish, just to show the christfags (people who think only christians are people and the world revolves around them) that they aren't the only people that exist. I countered "X-mas" vs "Christmas"
In 8th grade I was pagan and tackled christmas trees.
9th grade I was almost muslim but couldn't find a good veil (to counter the no head covering in school rule)

I know how its annoying, thats just my way of coping with it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 8:33:39 PM
Well... I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would preach about 'atheism'. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ripping apart beliefs others (religious or not) but that's because I enjoy intellectual intercourse and the challenge of finding faults in logic and countering them with my own. But, what's the point of standing on the corner and screaming, "DON'T BELIEVE IN GODS!!" Do you know how many gods you'd have to cover? And if you focused only on one god, would that be discrimination? Jeez, even the thought of it makes me laugh...

Atheists are already pegged as condescending by many theists (at least the ones I've had the pleasure of debating) and I would really like for that stereotype to disappear, wouldn't you? Sure, I'd like to be given the same respect as a theist -- but we're not going to get that through preaching. And yeah, it's a double standard -- an annoying one. But instead of fighting the theists because they're irritating at rallies -- why don't we exclude ourselves from such behavior? Don't give them MORE to yell about and continue on with our lives. I mean, that would satisfy me a lot more.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 9:45:06 PM
At 12/25/2010 8:33:39 PM, annhasle wrote:
Well... I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would preach about 'atheism'. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ripping apart beliefs others (religious or not) but that's because I enjoy intellectual intercourse

Hehehehe. Intercourse. Was that on purpose?

@Belle. That's it. My bad, I didn't know it was a college campaign. I thought it was meant to be anti-religious.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:22:03 PM
At 12/25/2010 9:45:06 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 12/25/2010 8:33:39 PM, annhasle wrote:
Well... I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would preach about 'atheism'. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ripping apart beliefs others (religious or not) but that's because I enjoy intellectual intercourse

Hehehehe. Intercourse. Was that on purpose?

Yup. I love using the word 'intercourse' outside of sexual context. Watching people's posts about their dirty minds make me laugh. xD
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 10:55:10 PM
At 12/25/2010 10:37:23 AM, theLwerd wrote:
If I were to go to a church, and during the middle of the mass got up and started shouting "YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID! JESUS IS A MYTH" then all hell would break loose (pun intended). I guarantee you it would make the evening news. Doing such a thing is z0mg so fvcking disrespectful amirite?!?!?!!! Yet it's perfectly kosher for the hateful, hypocritical zealots to rain on my parade (yep, another intended pun) by literally getting on mega-phones and screaming about how we're all going to hell at Gay Pride. There we are doing nothing harmful, and everyone is having a good time, being merry, enjoying the experience and trying to celebrate something we are massively oppressed for - yet they have no problem showing up by the dozen to stand on their soap box and condemn OUR beliefs and our lives.

The analogy is messed up.

If you were to go to Fred Phelps church and yell that on a megaphone then I don't really think anyone would mind.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 11:01:57 PM
At 12/25/2010 10:55:10 PM, wamba wrote:

The analogy is messed up.

If you were to go to Fred Phelps church and yell that on a megaphone then I don't really think anyone would mind.

Furthermore by acting like a psycho you'd be lumping yourself i with the psycho christians who do that stupid crap with bullhorns.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 12:32:26 AM
This thread was inspired by CN's recent one (though we've talked about this before) in which I saw this:

When I got to NYC the other day, I saw the sign on the highway that's created a ridiculous amount of controversy -- "You KNOW it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason!"

I'm disgusted by the big to-do about the sign. Christians take every opportunity to preach, yet they "hate when people preach atheism." Too bad. I'm so fvcking sick and tired of atheists being expected to not step on anybody's toes when we are never shown the same consideration. Everything Christians b!tch about is entirely hypocritical. There are God billboards on the highway EVERYWHERE. Here's one of zillions.

Apparently atheists have to mind their P's and Q's for the sake of being PC, though there is no expectation in society for theists to show the same respect. At this point I'm so sick and tired of this scathing hypocrisy that I feel absolutely no obligation to not speak my mind (as they do) whenever I please. I see no reason to hold back on saying god is a crock of sh!t if they see no reason to hold back saying god is _____ and god wants ______ . Lol orly? Did god tell you this? If you believe so then I hate to say it - but you're not a Christian bro... you're schizophrenic.

I remember all the racket about this. The news did a follow-up report with some Christians. They erected a sign across the way that countered the atheist sign, and it cost them a pretty penny. The interviewed Christian stated that their sign was a message of love, and that the atheist sign was one of hate and intolerance.

What I think is that the thousands of dollars used to put the sign on the billboard could have been by that congregation to serve Christmas dinners to hundreds of homeless people this winter, instead of on a childish shouting match with atheists.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 2:05:08 AM
You ain't got no pancake mix Lwerd.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 2:35:48 AM
At 12/26/2010 12:32:26 AM, Kleptin wrote:

I remember all the racket about this. The news did a follow-up report with some Christians. They erected a sign across the way that countered the atheist sign, and it cost them a pretty penny. The interviewed Christian stated that their sign was a message of love, and that the atheist sign was one of hate and intolerance.

What I think is that the thousands of dollars used to put the sign on the billboard could have been by that congregation to serve Christmas dinners to hundreds of homeless people this winter, instead of on a childish shouting match with atheists.

But they might be saving souls who knows how many people on the US haven't heard about Jesus and his love and forgiveness? I mean what is more important, saving people from freezing, or possibly, maybe saving them from suffering in a fiery pit forever?
A coat is only a message to a few, a billboard is a message to all! That happen to see it, pay attention, read it, and care enough to think about it.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 2:44:09 AM

Hear! hear! but I blame both the Christians and the atheists.

6:37

Dickens puts it best.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 11:58:50 AM
At 12/26/2010 2:35:48 AM, lovelife wrote:
But they might be saving souls who knows how many people on the US haven't heard about Jesus and his love and forgiveness? I mean what is more important, saving people from freezing, or possibly, maybe saving them from suffering in a fiery pit forever?
A coat is only a message to a few, a billboard is a message to all! That happen to see it, pay attention, read it, and care enough to think about it.

HAHAHA XD

I think that for a good number of those freezing people, a fiery pit sounds very comfy.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:06:06 AM
At 12/26/2010 11:58:50 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 12/26/2010 2:35:48 AM, lovelife wrote:

HAHAHA XD

I think that for a good number of those freezing people, a fiery pit sounds very comfy.

Maybe, but we shall not accept what they want we should have them live how we think might possibly help them after their dead.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:32:13 AM

Same could be said of the money that the atheists paid to have put up, couldn't it?

Plus, the sign could always be considered an advertising investment, of which the benefits of additional revenue may outweigh the initial costs and so provide more feeding for the hungry.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:43:08 PM
Lwerd.

You should really calm down.

Being an @sshole about anything is not okay, particularly about people's beliefs.

Second, atheism is not really a belief system. It's non-belief. It's essentially an entire perspective based on derision for people who are religious. In other words, atheists depend on the religious to be atheists. Without Christians and such, atheists would be nothing more than angry lesbians pontificating and the like.

If atheism isn't a belief system (and I'm not saying that it is) then how could you preach it? I think you make a good point here; atheism has nothing to preach, so, why do theists accuse atheists of preaching?

On one hand, Christians should never be judgmental if they intend to be genuine about their beliefs. They should love and embrace everyone, despite their perspectives or behavior, which are no better or worse.

Gosh, wouldn't it be great if all Christians were actually like this? Unfortunately, there are lots of ignorant, arrogant, bigoted, loud mouthed Bible-humpers out there shoving their dogmas and their agendas onto everyone they can.

You know what I can't figure out? Why is it all of the "good" Christians don't spend their time and energy telling those people to stop being angry, iconoclastic and irrational?