Jump to topic:

Is religion real???

tropicalstorm16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:24:48 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
My father is a fundamentalist Christian and he insists the bible is real. He says that it is the only book that has predicted the future through bible prophecies and done so correctly and accurately. That is his argument when you bring up other religions for example the Muslim religion. I tried bringing up the possibility of the Muslim religion being the correct one instead of Christianity and he said that the Christian bible is the only book that has successfully predicted the future. He told me that one of the prophecies in the bible was when Israel became a nation again apparently it was predicted to happen in the bible and then it happened 1000 years later or something. In Amos 9:14-15 it says "And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them." "And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God."

Apparently Israel became a nation again in May 14, 1948 you can google it that is what comes up. So this is clearly a very vague description of what is going to happen with Israel " I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel". While it did come true making it an accurate prophecy I would consider it very vague but I don't really believe in coincidences either. Doesn't it seem odd that this came true? The part that bothers me is that it says I will bring captivity to my people and it doesn't give an exact time and date so technically I could say something like that right now at this very moment and just wait until something like that happened in the future and when it came true claim that I was god. It just seems weird because if this is true why is god purposely making this task so difficult to figure out?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:05:52 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:24:48 AM, tropicalstorm16 wrote:
My father is a fundamentalist Christian and he insists the bible is real. He says that it is the only book that has predicted the future through bible prophecies and done so correctly and accurately. That is his argument when you bring up other religions for example the Muslim religion. I tried bringing up the possibility of the Muslim religion being the correct one instead of Christianity and he said that the Christian bible is the only book that has successfully predicted the future. He told me that one of the prophecies in the bible was when Israel became a nation again apparently it was predicted to happen in the bible and then it happened 1000 years later or something. In Amos 9:14-15 it says "And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them." "And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God."

Apparently Israel became a nation again in May 14, 1948 you can google it that is what comes up. So this is clearly a very vague description of what is going to happen with Israel " I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel". While it did come true making it an accurate prophecy I would consider it very vague but I don't really believe in coincidences either. Doesn't it seem odd that this came true? The part that bothers me is that it says I will bring captivity to my people and it doesn't give an exact time and date so technically I could say something like that right now at this very moment and just wait until something like that happened in the future and when it came true claim that I was god. It just seems weird because if this is true why is god purposely making this task so difficult to figure out?
Make a hundred prophecies and at least one of them is bound to come true, the simple law of randomness. The bible has hundreds of prophecies.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:20:07 PM

Check this out tropicalstorm. I'll provide you a link to a debate between a Muslim and me in the next post.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:20:55 PM
Christian vs Muslim

http://www.debate.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:23:58 PM
God is The Ultimate Reality.

To have a healthy relationship with God, the way is sincerity of faith, charity, and struggle for purity of heart.

It's about keeping it real, and loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

The Bible is big, and it takes a lot of study to really get what it is saying. The world almost seems intentionally rigged to distract and deceive people from what is really being said. There seems to be an active effort to make scripture unintelligible.

Really though, it's very simple. The purpose of The Bible is to point people to God. God is what the faith is about. God is The Ultimate Reality.

It's about keeping it real. Yeah, the bible is good testimony. The people who say otherwise don't understand the intent of it.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 2:49:35 PM
At 7/20/2016 12:23:58 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

To have a healthy relationship with God, the way is sincerity of faith, charity, and struggle for purity of heart.

It's about keeping it real, and loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

The Bible is big, and it takes a lot of study to really get what it is saying. The world almost seems intentionally rigged to distract and deceive people from what is really being said. There seems to be an active effort to make scripture unintelligible.

Really though, it's very simple. The purpose of The Bible is to point people to God. God is what the faith is about. God is The Ultimate Reality.

It's about keeping it real. Yeah, the bible is good testimony. The people who say otherwise don't understand the intent of it.

The intent of the bible is and always has been for the ruling class to control and oppress the masses through fear.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 2:59:32 PM

Most religions claim fulfilled prophecies although the ones made by Nostradamus and Edgar Cayce had the appearance of being far more detailed.

Here are some prophecies claimed by a couple religions other than mainstream christianity:

Mormonism - http://www.jefflindsay.com...
Islam - https://www.alislam.org...

I would suggest reading Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (US founding father). He obliterates any possible credibility of the bible. http://www.deism.com...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 4:58:30 PM
Superman didn't exist until the first Superman comic, bible god didn't exist until the bible.
That is all.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:46:25 PM

Notice the atheist "regulars" refuse to debate me. There's a reason.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:49:20 PM
At 7/20/2016 5:46:25 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

There are several reasons. Most, but not all, to do with your idiocy.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:50:55 PM
At 7/20/2016 2:49:35 PM, Willows wrote:

The intent of the bible is and always has been for the ruling class to control and oppress the masses through fear.

You meant to atheism, the cult that indoctrines people there is no meaning, purpose, good, evil, only the biological construct of the strong surviving and eating the weak that Stalin, the Nazis, and Communist China imposed on their people and others by force.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:54:28 PM
At 7/20/2016 5:49:20 PM, desmac wrote:

There are several reasons. Most, but not all, to do with your idiocy.

Notice OP, this is the same desmac who is afraid to debate me for fear of having his or her worldview challenged. It's all very telling.

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:56:58 PM

The reason is that you are a troll and nobody is interested in wasting their time debating someone that epitomizes conspiracy theories and superstition. You squandered the opportunity to be taken somewhat seriously a long time ago.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 6:02:36 PM
At 7/20/2016 5:56:58 PM, matt8800 wrote:

The reason is that you are a troll and nobody is interested in wasting their time debating someone that epitomizes conspiracy theories and superstition. You squandered the opportunity to be taken somewhat seriously a long time ago.

You are welcome to look through my religious debates OP and Matt's past posts and see for yourself that Matt is:

1)Lying

2)Afraid to debate me

3)Needing Atheism to be true for some perceived "sin" he thinks God is "gonna get him for".

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 6:15:10 PM
At 7/20/2016 6:02:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You are welcome to look through my religious debates OP and Matt's past posts and see for yourself that Matt is:

1)Lying

Matt is spot on.

2)Afraid to debate me

Nope. There's nothing in your heap of fallacious, incoherent speculation that you present as an "argument" that is considerable. It's an exercise in dealing with barely asserted Gish Gallop do debate you.

3)Needing Atheism to be true for some perceived "sin" he thinks God is "gonna get him for".

How long are you planning on continuing to troll and lie like this and smear the image of Christianity and Christians with such displays of ignorance and idiocy? Oh, Bronto, I see now... You're actually just an atheist Poe hard at play, right? I hope for your sake that this is true.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:27:34 PM
At 7/20/2016 6:15:10 PM, Chaosism wrote:

1)Lying

Matt is spot on.

2)Afraid to debate me

Nope. There's nothing in your heap of fallacious, incoherent speculation that you present as an "argument" that is considerable. It's an exercise in dealing with barely asserted Gish Gallop do debate you.

How long are you planning on continuing to troll and lie like this and smear the image of Christianity and Christians with such displays of ignorance and idiocy? Oh, Bronto, I see now... You're actually just an atheist Poe hard at play, right? I hope for your sake that this is true.

So debate me Chaosism and help the OP out on this one.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:31:33 PM
Here's another OP, where an Atheist gets owned on the logic of Atheism and runs off refusing to rebuttal.

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:32:00 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:27:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

1)Lying

Matt is spot on.

2)Afraid to debate me

I already did. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a debate? What's the point?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:36:01 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:32:00 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 7/20/2016 7:27:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

1)Lying

Matt is spot on.

2)Afraid to debate me

I already did. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with a debate? What's the point?

Militant Atheism, which is rampant on this site despite being a small minority of the population, wants a piece of us. Well, here we are. You gonna debate or not? If you're scared....

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:41:51 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:31:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here's another OP, where an Atheist gets owned on the logic of Atheism and runs off refusing to rebuttal.

Your opponent neatly sums up the debate in his final comment, and sums up why most sensible people would rather stick hot needles in their eyes rather than debate you.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:51:53 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:41:51 PM, desmac wrote:

Your opponent neatly sums up the debate in his final comment, and sums up why most sensible people would rather stick hot needles in their eyes rather than debate you.

What's that I hear? (Cluck cluck cluck)
Someone's chicken.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:53:50 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:51:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/20/2016 7:41:51 PM, desmac wrote:

What's that I hear? (Cluck cluck cluck)
Someone's chicken.

Wattevva
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:37:52 PM
If this is true why is god purposely making this task so difficult to figure out?

The way a scientist would approach it, Tropic, is with a plausible alternative hypothesis, e.g.

H1) The Bible is totally accurate, objective and coherent, and when read literally from any cultural context, correctly predicts the future;
H2) The Bible was written by ignorant people from disparate and changing cultures, none of whom accurately understood their own world; then serially modified by later curators through ignorance, error and changing cultural and political pressures, and is now being serially reinterpreted by people ignorant of its history, and pronounced accurate from Confirmation Bias and their own cultural and political agendas.

Then you can ask: which account more accurately predicts everything we observe, both in the text, its history, and the way people approach it?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:28:53 AM

I suppose that's why so many martyrs fearlessly professed faith despite very real threats of torture and execution for the sake of truth and mercy to their fellow man.

The saints who professed faith to the face of certain torment and death are of the bravest who have ever walked the Earth.

Indeed, we would not have the freedoms we have today if it wasn't for these people.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:53:31 AM
At 7/21/2016 3:28:53 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

I suppose that's why so many martyrs fearlessly professed faith despite very real threats of torture and execution for the sake of truth and mercy to their fellow man.

The saints who professed faith to the face of certain torment and death are of the bravest who have ever walked the Earth.

The martyrdom of early Christians is largely a myth. There were a couple of brief periods of persecution under the Romans but generally the Roman Empire tolerated the peaceful practice of other religions (including Judaism). What they didn't tolerate was open rebellion.

When the Christians took over is when the real persecution and destruction and intolerance started. It is no coincidence that the rise of Christianity in the 4th century heralded the beginning of the Dark Ages in Europe.

Indeed, we would not have the freedoms we have today if it wasn't for these people.

What a load of cr*p. There were few personal freedoms when Europe was dominated by Christian theocracies in the Middle Ages. It took the Enlightenment and the shift to secular democracies to bring about real freedoms for the people.
EliphasTheInheritor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:57:25 AM
Yes.

Tzeentch, God of Change, ensures the patronage of the undying continuity of evolution int he universe. Without him, we die in stagnation and decay.

Nurgle, the Plague Lord, gives solace and happiness to those he infects with his pestilence. Without him, life would be an unrecognizable wind of chaos.

Slaanesh, the Prince of Pleasure, sponsors passion and creativity, as well as love. Without him, life would be joyless and blank.

Khorne, Lord of Blood, more than other engenders the cruel reality of the world; violence. He gives the strenght to survive the hardships of the world, or justly die when you cannot.

All Gods are real; all else are false idols.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:14:11 AM
At 7/21/2016 3:53:31 AM, dee-em wrote:

The martyrdom of early Christians is largely a myth. There were a couple of brief periods of persecution under the Romans but generally the Roman Empire tolerated the peaceful practice of other religions (including Judaism). What they didn't tolerate was open rebellion.

When the Christians took over is when the real persecution and destruction and intolerance started. It is no coincidence that the rise of Christianity in the 4th century heralded the beginning of the Dark Ages in Europe.

What a load of cr*p. There were few personal freedoms when Europe was dominated by Christian theocracies in the Middle Ages. It took the Enlightenment and the shift to secular democracies to bring about real freedoms for the people.

The "church" killed plenty of Christians. Your problem has to do with mistaken identity and listening to bad narratives. How many martyrs were burned at the stake by alleged Christians?

I suppose you think all those illiterate and largely ignorant pagan kings who decided to follow the pope and force the populations by the sword to convert were fine disciples of Christ, eh?

Really, it's funny how pseudoscientific demography is, yet it still makes such an effective tool of oppression. Yeah, blame the actions of self professed Christians on the faith. I suppose this isn't too much of a stretch for people who live in a society where the self declarations of identity that people give are accepted as legitimate. It's so arbitrary right? You might be born with female reproductive organs, but people will respect you when you say you are a man.

Duuuuuumb

It's kind of like for every 100 people you meet who claim to be musicians, only a handful can actually play their instrument competently. Yeah, it's all arbitrary. Bwoooooohhoooooooo, no standards!
EliphasTheInheritor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:20:04 AM
At 7/21/2016 4:14:11 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

The "church" killed plenty of Christians. Your problem has to do with mistaken identity and listening to bad narratives. How many martyrs were burned at the stake by alleged Christians?

I suppose you think all those illiterate and largely ignorant pagan kings who decided to follow the pope and force the populations by the sword to convert were fine disciples of Christ, eh?

Really, it's funny how pseudoscientific demography is, yet it still makes such an effective tool of oppression. Yeah, blame the actions of self professed Christians on the faith. I suppose this isn't too much of a stretch for people who live in a society where the self declarations of identity that people give are accepted as legitimate. It's so arbitrary right? You might be born with female reproductive organs, but people will respect you when you say you are a man.

Duuuuuumb

It's kind of like for every 100 people you meet who claim to be musicians, only a handful can actually play their instrument competently. Yeah, it's all arbitrary. Bwoooooohhoooooooo, no standards!

And of those martyrs, contless thousands murdered and forgotten by the institution they served, now cream for eternity in the depths of the Warp.

Where was their Gods when they burned? Where was their Gods when cruel, selfish soldiers tortured their families? And then, in the cupse of their torment, they broke scripture to make the pain stop, anything to make it to stop.

Even were Christian faith true, they'd be damned. Your God's utter ambivalence to his followers in their times of need is a false cloak with which the fortunate wrap the horrors of the real world to sleep at night.

In reality, regardless of their personal virtue, they were damned, all the same.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:22:30 AM
At 7/21/2016 4:20:04 AM, EliphasTheInheritor wrote:

Duuuuuumb

And of those martyrs, contless thousands murdered and forgotten by the institution they served, now cream for eternity in the depths of the Warp.

Where was their Gods when they burned? Where was their Gods when cruel, selfish soldiers tortured their families? And then, in the cupse of their torment, they broke scripture to make the pain stop, anything to make it to stop.

Even were Christian faith true, they'd be damned. Your God's utter ambivalence to his followers in their times of need is a false cloak with which the fortunate wrap the horrors of the real world to sleep at night.

In reality, regardless of their personal virtue, they were damned, all the same.

Jesus warned that there would be persecutions and the like. You think in a worldly line because you aren't seeing what they saw.
EliphasTheInheritor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:27:22 AM
At 7/21/2016 4:22:30 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 7/21/2016 4:20:04 AM, EliphasTheInheritor wrote:

Duuuuuumb

Jesus warned that there would be persecutions and the like. You think in a worldly line because you aren't seeing what they saw.
I have seen more than you could even comprehend, mortal.

I have seen the devastating tortures. When the Turks invaded Constantinople, tens of thousands of Christian recanted their faith to have mercy. They were slaughtered. Tens of thousands more crowded churches and prayed. They, too, were slaughtered.

Now, instead of prayer, all that can be heard in the afterlife is their screams. For you see, mortal, there is no heaven. The Gods that be do not care about their suffering.

You yourself admit your God is omnipotent; if he were so, there is nothing stopping him from fooling you. There is no way you can guarantee he does not enjoy watching cruelty and torturing, and instead, in fact saves the persecutor, rather than the persecuted.

You can cling to your false texts all you wish; there is nothing stopping him from lying to you for personal pleasure.