Jump to topic:

"Lack of belief" is a dodge

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:41:59 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Atheism is a "lack of belief" is a dodge. Atheism is the belief that God does not exist.

If I say that the letter "F" is symmetrical, and you say you do not believe the letter "F" is symmetrical, you believe it is asymmetrical.

Theism=I believe a God exists.
Atheism=I believe no God exists.

(Christopher Hitchens flummixed by this concept)(Video)

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:48:01 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:41:59 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheism is a "lack of belief" is a dodge. Atheism is the belief that God does not exist.

If I say that the letter "F" is symmetrical, and you say you do not believe the letter "F" is symmetrical, you believe it is asymmetrical.

I wonder what gives people the impression that no god exists.?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:49:31 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:48:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

You referred to atheism as a belief in your own thread. How can I attack your beliefs if you have none....
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:50:37 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:48:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Nonexposure to prophecy or the work of physicists like James Gates

Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:01:53 PM

No, it is a religion. There's another name for a lack in belief.

I know who I am. That is what matters... Not what you think I am or what you want me to be.

Belief is the lack of critical thinking. I can prove you exist

Youve gotten smarter over the years, are you learning?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:06:16 PM

No... atheism is at core, a position that all theology is false. It's not just about what invisible beings might exist. It also rejects theological mythologies and histories, the efficacy of prayers and rituals, theological beliefs about human morality and the human condition -- and if you doubt that, look at how broadly atheist members participate in those discussions here, and consider the positions they take.

Now, the degree to which it does that depends on the individual atheist. There's no canon or doctrine underpinning atheistic rejection of theology, if only because the term 'atheist' was coined by the religious to identify a position, not describe a rationale. But having identified that position, the desire by the religious to frame atheism in their own theological terms is both arrogant and conceptually flawed. It's not just disrespectful to atheists; it's damaging to theistic intelligence.

So in short, Bronto, atheism really isn't about rejecting your religion, but rejecting religiosity in general. Every time you declare yourself unable to accept this, you're also exposing why it is religiosity can make a poor friend to critical thought.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:10:27 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:06:16 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

No... atheism is at core, a position that all theology is false. It's not just about what invisible beings might exist. It also rejects theological mythologies and histories, the efficacy of prayers and rituals, theological beliefs about human morality and the human condition -- and if you doubt that, look at how broadly atheist members participate in those discussions here, and consider the positions they take.

Now, the degree to which it does that depends on the individual atheist. There's no canon or doctrine underpinning atheistic rejection of theology, if only because the term 'atheist' was coined by the religious to identify a position, not describe a rationale. But having identified that position, the desire by the religious to frame atheism in their own theological terms is both arrogant and conceptually flawed. It's not just disrespectful to atheists; it's damaging to theistic intelligence.

So in short, Bronto, atheism really isn't about rejecting your religion, but rejecting religiosity in general. Every time you declare yourself unable to accept this, you're also exposing why it is religiosity can make a poor friend to critical thought.

Disrespect doesn't exist. This is just a biological manifestation of electrical signals being sent to and from my brain.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:11:33 PM

Then debate me on it. You pick a topic.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:23:49 PM
At 7/20/2016 10:11:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheism really isn't about rejecting your religion, but rejecting religiosity in general. Every time you declare yourself unable to accept this, you're also exposing why it is religiosity can make a poor friend to critical thought.
Then debate me on it. You pick a topic.
Bronto, I'm sorry but a debate cannot be conducted without mutual trust and respect.

As you're aware I don't respect your participation in this forum. I think you capable of better than you actually deliver, but contempt and vanity make your posts boring, repetitive, unconstructive and deliberately disruptive. You are aware of this because I've told you so, and I'm not the only member to have done so.

You are also untrustworthy because your posts frequently lack honesty, integrity and sincerity. You put virtually no original thought into your posts, and repeat the same misinformation to vex, even when it has been corrected repeatedly.

So... on a site that treats you with more respect than you treat it, I have little interest in engaging your thought, other than to occasionally correct it for the possible interest of other members.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:24:19 PM

False dichotomy. I might think you don't know what "symmetrical" means, I might not know what "symmetrical" means, or it might be obvious you don't know which letter is F and your statement is incoherent. Given this, I might have no opinion on your claim. Disbelieving your claim is not the same as making an alternative claim.

This is so disingenuous. If you truly think atheism is the opposite of theism and you're defining atheism as "I believe no gods exists", then you should be defining theism as "I believe all gods exist".
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 10:43:31 PM

What do you call someone that lacks a belief there is a god?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 11:49:49 PM

It's funny how believers are just black and white, us and them, yes or no, good or evil, etc. There is no middle ground for a believer, no colors, no grey areas, no choices, no alternatives, no indifference, no thinking.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth