Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:10:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

A week ago, Salon published a story I wrote about returning to a Creationist museum my parents took me to when I was very young. The article was not mean-spirited or contemptuous; it was mostly about an atheist looking back honestly and nonjudgmentally at his religious past and religious family. I was just trying to talk about Christianity without adopting the tone of offended arrogance that so many non-Christians use when they"re discussing fundamentalists.

Of course, plenty of other people were willing to be giant pricks. As soon as the piece was published, the comments section erupted in overwrought, hoity-toity, exasperating rhetoric, as people made fun of Creationists for being ignorant and blamed the people I mentioned in the articles for everything evil done in the name of Christianity.

Here are a few choice quotes:

"I hear Betty and Barney are especially lifelike in their display."

"It is certainly interesting that while George Bush claimed they hate us for our freedoms, large swathes of the US population are actually just as primitive in their thinking as the simplest tribesmen in the mountains of Afghanistan and are held there by a wealthy priesthood class who exploit their gullability."

"It's a dangerous thing to show respect to beliefs and ideas that don't deserve it. For example, Christianity. Christianity is not only responsible for the murder of millions of people over the centuries, it's responsible for children being killed by "faith-healing" today.""

Never mind that I wasn"t exposing Christianity or even endorsing it"if you say something as mild as "Hey, here are some Christians practicing their faith; that"s not really a bad thing" you"ll get mobbed by a group of pack atheists who are quickly becoming the most annoying demographic on the internet. I speak of a subtype of militant atheists who I"ll call the "Reddit Atheists." These are the folks who have, ironically, adopted the attitudes of hardcore evangelicals who try to convert strangers on subway platforms"it"s not enough for them that they don"t believe in God, they want to make sure you don"t believe in God either. Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism.

If you want to find out why I call these guys Reddit Atheists, take a brief dip into the atheism subreddit. It is a place entirely defined by bitter, faux-enlightened young people sharing "thought-provoking" images about the horrific evils of religion (in practice, pretty much just Christianity) and congratulating each other for being "enlightened." The site was originally intended to be a place where people talk about atheistic ideas, but as is Reddit"s depressing trend, it soon devolved into a swampy mess of endless, banal cliches, memes, and general anti-intellectualism. It actually rivals Creationism in terms of having a narrow worldview. They"ve actually had a campaign where they would write "once upon a time" on the first page of every Bible they found in hotels, which is probably the lamest form of vandalism ever.

Reddit Atheism isn"t about philosophy or even adult conversation; it"s about getting riled up into a frothing-at-the-mouth ideological stupor so you can feel guiltlessly self-righteous for the rest of the day. In all of my trips to r/atheism, I"ve never seen anyone post anything written in a measured tone."

http://www.vice.com...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:37:55 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:10:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

A week ago, Salon published a story I wrote about returning to a Creationist museum my parents took me to when I was very young. The article was not mean-spirited or contemptuous; it was mostly about an atheist looking back honestly and nonjudgmentally at his religious past and religious family. I was just trying to talk about Christianity without adopting the tone of offended arrogance that so many non-Christians use when they"re discussing fundamentalists.

Of course, plenty of other people were willing to be giant pricks. As soon as the piece was published, the comments section erupted in overwrought, hoity-toity, exasperating rhetoric, as people made fun of Creationists for being ignorant and blamed the people I mentioned in the articles for everything evil done in the name of Christianity.

"It is certainly interesting that while George Bush claimed they hate us for our freedoms, large swathes of the US population are actually just as primitive in their thinking as the simplest tribesmen in the mountains of Afghanistan and are held there by a wealthy priesthood class who exploit their gullability."

"It's a dangerous thing to show respect to beliefs and ideas that don't deserve it. For example, Christianity. Christianity is not only responsible for the murder of millions of people over the centuries, it's responsible for children being killed by "faith-healing" today.""

Never mind that I wasn"t exposing Christianity or even endorsing it"if you say something as mild as "Hey, here are some Christians practicing their faith; that"s not really a bad thing" you"ll get mobbed by a group of pack atheists who are quickly becoming the most annoying demographic on the internet. I speak of a subtype of militant atheists who I"ll call the "Reddit Atheists." These are the folks who have, ironically, adopted the attitudes of hardcore evangelicals who try to convert strangers on subway platforms"it"s not enough for them that they don"t believe in God, they want to make sure you don"t believe in God either. Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism.

If you want to find out why I call these guys Reddit Atheists, take a brief dip into the atheism subreddit. It is a place entirely defined by bitter, faux-enlightened young people sharing "thought-provoking" images about the horrific evils of religion (in practice, pretty much just Christianity) and congratulating each other for being "enlightened." The site was originally intended to be a place where people talk about atheistic ideas, but as is Reddit"s depressing trend, it soon devolved into a swampy mess of endless, banal cliches, memes, and general anti-intellectualism. It actually rivals Creationism in terms of having a narrow worldview. They"ve actually had a campaign where they would write "once upon a time" on the first page of every Bible they found in hotels, which is probably the lamest form of vandalism ever.

Reddit Atheism isn"t about philosophy or even adult conversation; it"s about getting riled up into a frothing-at-the-mouth ideological stupor so you can feel guiltlessly self-righteous for the rest of the day. In all of my trips to r/atheism, I"ve never seen anyone post anything written in a measured tone."

This was neither believable nor interesting the first time you posted if, craptor. What makes you think it will fare better this time around?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:39:12 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:37:55 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

This was neither believable nor interesting the first time you posted if, craptor. What makes you think it will fare better this time around?

Really? So you chose to read it twice...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:47:54 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:39:12 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

You are wrong, as usual, craptor.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:48:49 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:47:54 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:55:27 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:48:49 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

I couldn't if I tried, craptor. A singularly useless piece of advice, even by your abysmal standards.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:57:38 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:55:27 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

I couldn't if I tried, craptor. A singularly useless piece of advice, even by your abysmal standards.

I saw banana on your face earlier desmac. That was banana wasn't it?

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:13:20 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:57:38 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

Do theists like you have any comprehension of what truth is, craptor?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:17:21 PM
At 7/21/2016 3:13:20 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

Oh come on desmac. Everyone on here knows you are a communist.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:25:38 PM
At 7/21/2016 3:17:21 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

Wow, your whole polling sample are as wrong as you, crappy. I didn't believe it possible that anyone could plumb your depths of inaccuracy. Now you tell me that you have asked everyone on DDO, (within the last few minutes) and every one of them is totally wrong.
Totes amazeballs.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:30:31 PM
At 7/21/2016 3:25:38 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

Wow, your whole polling sample are as wrong as you, crappy. I didn't believe it possible that anyone could plumb your depths of inaccuracy. Now you tell me that you have asked everyone on DDO, (within the last few minutes) and every one of them is totally wrong.
Totes amazeballs.

Yes. Prove me wrong. Witnesses don't count. They could be lying.

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:31:44 PM
At 7/21/2016 3:30:31 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/21/2016 3:25:38 PM, desmac wrote:
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

Don't be a chimp desmac.

Totes amazeballs.

Yes. Prove me wrong. Witnesses don't count. They could be lying.

Or just possibly, you could be.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:17:25 PM
Atheist on Atheists

By Luke Winkie
(Atheist)

atheism doesn't have a position on:
creationism
spirits
faith healing
humanism
religion

the only positions atheism has is on the either
1. do you believe that a god is real?
2. do you believe that god worth believing in.
if either of those answers are no, then that person is an atheist.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:26:25 PM
Why won't anybody take his insanely petty drivel seriously and why doesn't anyone get insulted by his pathetic attempts at insults?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 2:25:41 AM
At 7/21/2016 4:26:25 PM, bulproof wrote:
Why won't anybody take his insanely petty drivel seriously and why doesn't anyone get insulted by his pathetic attempts at insults?

You mad bro