Jump to topic:

Obligation to have children?

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:17:38 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I hear many religious people and conservatives in general talk as if everyone in the world have an unevitable obligation to marry and have children. But many people do not want this, and indeed many people shouldn't have children since they wouldn't handle the children in a healthy way. So, what should be done with people who don't want children according to these conservatives? Tossed into a fire?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:34:50 PM
At 7/22/2016 11:17:38 PM, Jovian wrote:
I hear many religious people and conservatives in general talk as if everyone in the world have an unevitable obligation to marry and have children. But many people do not want this, and indeed many people shouldn't have children since they wouldn't handle the children in a healthy way. So, what should be done with people who don't want children according to these conservatives? Tossed into a fire?

The Bible said you'd say that.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:36:06 PM

You shouldn't have children as an atheist seeing you think they are simply collateral damage in the end anyway.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:45:53 PM
what should be done with people who don't want children?
It's pretty well understood that homosexuality is contagious, Jovian. otherwise there'd be no good reason to vilify and denigrate gay people. (Please bear with me here.)

So if it's contagious, then heterosexuals who don't want children should be forced to have gay sex until they catch it. After all, if they're only having sex for fun rather than Holy Purpose, they're damned anyway, so they may as well be damned for having sex with people who already more-or-less know what they like.

This compassionate measure will also reduce the heterosexual pool of people who don't want to reproduce, thus reducing the chance that someone who does want to reproduce as divinely ordained will marry someone who doesn't want children, but only intimacy and lifelong commitment.

Meanwhile, since homosexuality is not only contagious but curable through prayer, gay people (whether gay spontaneously, or through Forced Contagion Programs) who change their minds and want to reproduce would be free to pray their homosexuality away again before getting a marriage license.

This would be perfectly fair, in that it'd keep people away from children and positions of responsibility while they were homosexual and sinful, ensure all heterosexual sex was conducted only for its Divinely Ordained Purpose, and finally justify withholding dignity and equality from ALL the profanely licentious.

You're welcome. :)
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:50:34 PM

Just stay single, and celibate.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:14:10 AM

The days of the church trying to run people's sex lives are long over, Jovian. (That is, unless you are in a cult like the JWs or Scientology). I suspect you would get far more pressure to procreate from family members than from religion these days. :-)
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:28:41 AM
At 7/22/2016 11:50:34 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

So people who don't want children shouldn't have access to a love life at all, not even a platonic love? How about people who are infertile against their will?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:47:02 AM
At 7/22/2016 11:36:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You shouldn't have children as an atheist seeing you think they are simply collateral damage in the end anyway.

First of all, I'm an agnostic and not an atheist. Second, the prize of "Best country for children to grow up in" is always given to top 10 least religious countries.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:55:06 AM
At 7/23/2016 12:28:41 AM, Jovian wrote:

So people who don't want children shouldn't have access to a love life at all, not even a platonic love?

There's nothing wrong with platonic love, but there's no reason for marriage in those instances.

How about people who are infertile against their will?

Are you referring to those who are temporarily or permanently infertile?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:00:04 AM
At 7/23/2016 12:55:06 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

So people who don't want children shouldn't have access to a love life at all, not even a platonic love?

There's nothing wrong with platonic love, but there's no reason for marriage in those instances.

Permanently, like birth defect or injury.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:25:44 AM
At 7/23/2016 12:47:02 AM, Jovian wrote:

First of all, I'm an agnostic and not an atheist. Second, the prize of "Best country for children to grow up in" is always given to top 10 least religious countries.

So America and Poland are out...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:28:24 AM
At 7/23/2016 12:47:02 AM, Jovian wrote:

And one of the countries on this bs list is labeled the rape capital of Europe. Hmmm...wonder if atheists made the list....

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:32:25 AM
At 7/23/2016 1:00:04 AM, Jovian wrote:
At 7/23/2016 12:55:06 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Permanently, like birth defect or injury.

If you're referring to impotence, why should the couple get married at all
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:36:13 AM
33 year old white male. No kids, never married. Do have a fiance, who is older than me and also doesn't want kids. Has nothing to do with God, just don't want them.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:43:44 AM

More soldiers for the army, more workers for the factory.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 8:35:57 AM

Better still. Don't be a Catholic. Don't let the Catholic Church run your private life.
Do with your private life whatever you deem fit.
Airaux2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 8:57:28 AM

I don't know where this idea of an obligation to have children comes from. Paul in Corinthians says it's better not to be married, so obviously children are out in that case.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:11:42 PM
At 7/23/2016 8:35:57 AM, Omniverse wrote:

Better still. Don't be a Catholic. Don't let the Catholic Church run your private life.

And possibly go to Hell.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:17:51 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:11:42 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

And possibly go to Hell.

Ah ah ah ahahha.
Give the middle finger to the mobster who's come to pick up the weekly envelope in exchange for offering you "protection". And not only to the mobster, show it to the minions who populate religious forums as well, all trying to tell you how you should run your life.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:21:18 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:17:51 PM, Omniverse wrote:

And possibly go to Hell.

Ah ah ah ahahha.
Give the middle finger to the mobster who's come to pick up the weekly envelope in exchange for offering you "protection". And not only to the mobster, show it to the minions who populate religious forums as well, all trying to tell you how you should run your life.

What in the world are you babbling about? What mobster?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:24:45 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:21:18 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

And possibly go to Hell.

Ah ah ah ahahha.

You calm down and drink a cup of tea. Do some breathing exercises. When you have regained your presumed capacity to understand an illustration, do come back.

Because I appreciate the weekly digest of Catholic nonsense.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:24:57 PM

Some people believe such crazy things. No one should be obliged to have kids. Only those who want children and who can love and provide for them well, should consider having them.
dheaslip
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:43:42 PM

For the same reason why your parents had you. It's the hardest job in the world to raise a child, but it is also the most rewarding. You don't know how many old people I've heard say "you have no idea how much I regret not having kids...it's my biggest regret. God created sex for a purpose, and that was only to repopulate, otherwise we should become brain surgeons or priests, dedicate our lives to others. Never live for yourself alone.
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:57:22 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:43:42 PM, dheaslip wrote:

For the same reason why your parents had you. It's the hardest job in the world to raise a child, but it is also the most rewarding.

I actually want to have children. And many people do, even of they are liberal atheists, and no matter how much they know that having children will result in tons of sleepless nights and pubertal monsters, they still think it's worth it.

You don't know how many old people I've heard say "you have no idea how much I regret not having kids...it's my biggest regret.

Yes, and you don't know how many people who willfully do a sterilization like vasectomy because they feel they don't want it.

God created sex for a purpose, and that was only to repopulate, otherwise we should become brain surgeons or priests, dedicate our lives to others.

So then I guess you are against sex being done outside the woman's fertile window, aka Natural Family Planning?

Never live for yourself alone.

So are you saying monks and nuns are sinners now?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:59:30 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:43:42 PM, dheaslip wrote:
Never live for yourself alone.

And how about some people with Asperger's syndrome who pretty much can't live in another way than alone? Or those with social anxiety?
Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:00:38 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:43:44 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

More soldiers for the army, more workers for the factory.

+1
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:53:51 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:24:45 PM, Omniverse wrote:
At 7/23/2016 1:21:18 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

And possibly go to Hell.

Ah ah ah ahahha.

You calm down and drink a cup of tea. Do some breathing exercises. When you have regained your presumed capacity to understand an illustration, do come back.

*sitting in lotus position* *channeling all of the positive energy in the universe* *exhale* *slams a cup of green chamomile tea*

Ok, so what does the mobster symbolize in your illustration?

Because I appreciate the weekly digest of Catholic nonsense.

*ignoring the word "nonsense" * *blush*
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 3:52:28 PM
At 7/22/2016 11:34:50 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The Bible said you'd say that.
Quote the passage that states that Jovian would say that.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 3:57:05 PM
At 7/23/2016 8:57:28 AM, Airaux2 wrote:

I don't know where this idea of an obligation to have children comes from. Paul in Corinthians says it's better not to be married, so obviously children are out in that case.
I'm not sure whether you know but marriage has absolutely nothing to do with procreation ie having children.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin