Total Posts:360|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I Need Help Deciding If Religion Is Real?

tropicalstorm9009
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:05:28 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I would not want to go to hell in the afterlife if I could have made the right choice on earth. There are over 4000 different religions but the most popular ones seem to be Christianity and Islam. How would you go about deciding which one is the correct religion? Also in the Christian Bible it states in 2 Peter 3:3 "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, ". I chose this quote because I need clarification. Did people not walk according to their own lusts in the early days? Why is it putting emphasis on the last days with that statement. I also chose Matthew 24:14 "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." I chose this quote because this would basically imply we are nearing what the Christian Bible deems to be the end of times, as Christianity is being spread all around the world.

This has caused me at only 20 years old to seek spiritual guidance because I understand that if something like this is actually real, it is very important to take seriously. I don't think any human brain could comprehend spending an infinite amount of years suffering in an eternal hell. I am not implying any specific religion is correct all I am saying is that I need help making a decision and the right decision. The problem with something like this is that there is no real factual evidence to go off so no one can really give me the help I need it is going to stir up a lot of subjective argument.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:30:03 AM
At 7/23/2016 10:05:28 AM, tropicalstorm9009 wrote:
I would not want to go to hell in the afterlife if I could have made the right choice on earth. There are over 4000 different religions but the most popular ones seem to be Christianity and Islam. How would you go about deciding which one is the correct religion? Also in the Christian Bible it states in 2 Peter 3:3 "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, ". I chose this quote because I need clarification. Did people not walk according to their own lusts in the early days? Why is it putting emphasis on the last days with that statement. I also chose Matthew 24:14 "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." I chose this quote because this would basically imply we are nearing what the Christian Bible deems to be the end of times, as Christianity is being spread all around the world.

This has caused me at only 20 years old to seek spiritual guidance because I understand that if something like this is actually real, it is very important to take seriously. I don't think any human brain could comprehend spending an infinite amount of years suffering in an eternal hell. I am not implying any specific religion is correct all I am saying is that I need help making a decision and the right decision. The problem with something like this is that there is no real factual evidence to go off so no one can really give me the help I need it is going to stir up a lot of subjective argument.

Cut up 8 bits of paper , on 1 put christian, 1 put Islam. 2 put Athiest and 4 put agnostic.
Before you pick , look up to the sky and say , please guide me. Then pick.
If you pull out christian or Islam, consider that a practice pick.
Keep picking until your happy with your pick.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:48:17 AM
The problem with something like this is that there is no real factual evidence to go off so no one can really give me the help I need it is going to stir up a lot of subjective argument.

There is plenty of factual evidence to go off, Trop. For example:

1. Monotheistic dualism (the idea of a single, creator/supervisor god, and an evil adversary) originated neither with Christianity nor Islam. You can find it in Zoroastrianism, a once major monotheistic faith now in decline, which was around when Judaism was forming, and influenced it, Christianity and Islam. [https://en.wikipedia.org...]

2. Despite Abrahamic monotheistic insisting that the universe was created rapidly, with humanity in mind, the reality is that most of the universe is uninhabitable by humanity; our planet and the sun are about 4.5 billion years old; our sun is not the oldest sun in existence; whole suns have appeared and disappeared before humanity came into existence; life on Earth is about 3.7 billion years old; humans are only 200,000 years old; at least one prior hominid species with tools and abstract thought was extinguished before we developed civilisation; 99% of all species ever to inhabit our planet are extinct (most not due to human action); even with the best conservation efforts, our planet will be uninhabitable in about one billion years due to the sun's growing luminosity; another galaxy will collide with ours in four billion years; the dying sun will eat the Earth in about five billion years; and our universe is flying apart at an accelerating pace such that eventually, nobody will be able to tell how it actually formed.

3. No religious doctrine on Earth successfully predicted the laws of thermodynamics, the laws of motion, the basic principles of chemistry, the structure of the atom, nor predicted a germ theory of medicine, which would have saved countless hundreds of millions of human lives through basic hygiene alone.

4. Despite repeated testing, no prayer has been clinically demonstrated more effective than a placebo at altering significant and specific physical consequences in any way.

5. Likewise, no claim of receiving divine revelations has ever survived clinical trials in which it can produce significant, specific, predictive information with any accuracy.

6. The mechanisms of religious belief are predicted accurately by psychology and sociology, but religious doctrine has never itself predicted sociology or psychology in any significant, specific and reliable way.

7. Independent scholars cannot authenticate who actually wrote most of the books of the Bible, or when or how, or why they were redacted. Most titles of Biblical books were given them by tradition, rather than by the original authors.

8. No world faith invented democracy or universal human rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of worship, the rights of the child, or equality of women -- these were invented by secular philosophy.

9. No amount of religiosity has ever prevent a world faith from shattering into irreconcilable and often bitter schisms over canon and how to interpret it.

10. Despite continuing to claim traditional authorities, religious claims to knowledge no longer meet modern and generally-accepted definitions of what knowledge actually is.

With such factual information readily to hand, I think the most important question of people of faith isn't "why do you believe", but rather "what do you know; how do you know it; and why, when so many doctrinal revelations have been proven false, do you still insist revelations are knowledge and not simply ignorant superstitious traditions?"

It's not my intention to tell you what to believe, but I hope that may be useful. Links to specific points are available on request.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:17:11 PM

Here ya go tropical. I will paste a link in next post. Notice my opponent ran off.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:24:24 PM

I suggest you to learn Islam. Islam is a true religion.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:29:47 PM
Here is another that might be a little better if interested-

http://www.debate.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:35:51 PM
Every religion is good. Avoid fake stuff injected in Christianity and Islam. Use your conscience.

Learn on your own and enjoy the journey.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:52:56 PM
Now if your logic is, "I don't want to go to Hell," then I pose this purely from a logic viewpoint. Christ was the one who talked about Hell. His followers then referenced it. If He and they are false, there is no Hell, and Muhammed, Islam's "great prophet" is wrong to have referenced it. In other words, if Christianity is wrong, Islam is wrong by default for referencing the Bible andNew Testament in the Quran, Sunnah, and Hadith. So if Hell is the focused variable in thisequation, the one who first ever mentioned it is your logical target.

Now, in fairness, eternal Hell and destruction Hell are both arguments put forth by theologians. Some say it is eternal. Some say it is put forth, and you are gone at that point. The only thing eternal is the result. It's semantics if you serve Christ. If not, then....

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:56:31 PM

You need to think it out for yourself, no one has the answers, however much they pretend they do, as there is no evidence to support any faith system.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:56:46 PM
Here is a link that might affect your choice as well. If you ever want to debate me on it challenge me in the debate area, and I will accept. Good luck on your journey.

http://www.islam-watch.org...

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:39:01 PM
here is the method i used
how to prove there is no god? -
step 1. get into a place free from distractions.
step 2. say out loud "(insert name of any god) if you are real, i want you to reveal yourself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that you are real"
step 3. say out loud "if any god is real, i want you to reveal yourself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that you are real"
step 4. ask your family and friends "i want you to ask your god to reveal itself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that your god is real"
step 5. go into different masques, temples, churches and synagogues, and say "i want you to pray that your god to reveals itself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that your god is real"
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 1:48:27 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:39:01 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:
here is the method i used
how to prove there is no god? -
step 1. get into a place free from distractions.
step 2. say out loud "(insert name of any god) if you are real, i want you to reveal yourself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that you are real"
step 3. say out loud "if any god is real, i want you to reveal yourself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that you are real"
step 4. ask your family and friends "i want you to ask your god to reveal itself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that your god is real"
step 5. go into different masques, temples, churches and synagogues, and say "i want you to pray that your god to reveals itself to me. i want a life changing event, no matter what it takes, so that i can know that your god is real"

no wonder you are an atheist.

Find out who you are and then think about god.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:11:16 PM
At 7/23/2016 1:48:27 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

which god do you believe is real?
and what convinced you that your god is real?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:16:53 PM

You can start by reading and understanding what Jesus actually said about who the deceivers will be and then judge which religion is perpetrating this deception.

Matthew 24:5

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

The dispiles ask Jesus what will be the signs of his coming.
Jesus warns them that many will come saying Jesus is the Christ (I am the Christ) and will deceive many. Only Christians claim Jesus is the Christ and are therefore the ones that Jesus warned his disciples about. He wasn't saying others would come claiming to be Jesus, the disciples knew what Jesus looked like and could have easily identify an imposter. He was warning them about those who would call him the Christ.

Jesus also said those claiming Jesus was the Christ would speak of wars and destruction and there will be catastrophic events to follow. But that would only be the beginning of sorrows.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:31:04 PM
The Heaven's Gate folks believed that Jesus was waiting for them in a space ship hiding behind the Hale Bop Comet. As a result, they all drank poison and died in their bunk wearing green sneakers.

Did they go to the space ship to be with Jesus?

Did we miss our ride to heaven with Jesus because we didn't join them?

There are lots of people in the world who believe lots of things that they cannot prove. And many of these "believers" threaten the rest of us for our not believing in their version of truth and reality. But as human beings, we have an obligation to ourselves, to establish our own ideas and beliefs regarding truth and reality. Even though we could always be wrong.

But that's the risk we are forced to take. And that risk is NOT mitigated by accepting someone else's beliefs about it. Because they are exactly as likely to be wrong as we are.

My advice is to think clearly and carefully about these things. Always. And never assume your right.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:31:45 PM

If you feel that you have to have a religion, look into the Eastern religions but don't take silly stories seriously. Just take what is useful without becoming a 'believer'. Western religions and Islam have nothing good to offer and lots of bad. That's my personal opinion.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:39:07 PM

Another thing.....

Does it really make sense that a loving, merciful, all-powerful god would burn and torture his 'children' forever for not believing something when he provided no evidence? If you were him, would you do that? If not, are you more merciful than god?

Hell is a classic scare tactic to keep religious retention rate high.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:38:59 PM
At 7/23/2016 2:11:16 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:

I am not one of those morons who'll say - ' convince me '.

No one can make you interested in something, forcibly.

Convincing doesn't make you capable.

You can't wake up a man easily who is pretending to sleep.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:45:16 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:38:59 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

So you can't answer his question and that makes you angry.
You need a mirror.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:47:49 PM

So over 90% of theists believe in the god of Abraham so you tell us.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:48:36 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:45:16 PM, bulproof wrote:

You need a mirror.

See above.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:50:43 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:47:49 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

In lala land penishead.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:54:59 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:45:16 PM, bulproof wrote:

You need a mirror.

There is a race tomorrow. Convince me : I want to beat Usain Bolt.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:01:13 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:50:43 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/23/2016 4:47:49 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

In lala land penishead.

So name us some others to choose from.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:12:14 PM
To the OP.
There are no gods, there are no afterlives.
End of story.
Buddh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:21:23 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:12:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
To the OP.
End of story.

There was never a time when I, you,
Or these kings did not exist;
Nor shall we ever cease to exist in the future.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:26:57 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:21:23 PM, Buddh wrote:
At 7/23/2016 5:12:14 PM, bulproof wrote:
To the OP.
End of story.

There was never a time when I, you,
Or these kings did not exist;
Nor shall we ever cease to exist in the future.

Good for you, say hello to your kings for me.
You understand what a king is?
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:28:11 PM

Filter religions by logic. define God and analys its scriptures. very simple.
Never fart near dog
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:37:30 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:28:11 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

Filter religions by logic. define God and analys its scriptures. very simple.
Find any gods' scriptures, it's very simple.
Scriptures written by men can't be a god's scriptures, it's very simple.