Why does the content of bibles vary?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 10:17:34 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Some bibles contain these books:

Sirach, Tobit, Wisdom, Judith, 1 and 2 Maccabees and Baruc.

Others don't.

If the bible is the word of God why do bibles have variable content?

Either these books are the word of God or they are the word of men with no divine influence. If Christianity is true why has the holy spirit failed to guide clergy towards a unanimous uniform agreement on what the word of God actually is and which books belong in the bible and which ones don't?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 10:21:58 PM
At 7/25/2016 10:17:34 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Either these books are the word of God or they are the word of men with no divine influence. If Christianity is true why has the holy spirit failed to guide clergy towards a unanimous uniform agreement on what the word of God actually is and which books belong in the bible and which ones don't?

I can add pages from fantasy novels to a mathematics book. It doesn't change the original book. It simply damns the one who added them.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2016 10:50:52 PM
At 7/25/2016 10:21:58 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Others don't.

I can add pages from fantasy novels to a mathematics book. It doesn't change the original book. It simply damns the one who added them.

Why have over half of your fellow Christians and many significant historical figures in your religion not been guided to the truth by the holy spirit with regard to the validity of these 7 books?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:04:35 AM
At 7/25/2016 10:50:52 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Why have over half of your fellow Christians and many significant historical figures in your religion not been guided to the truth by the holy spirit with regard to the validity of these 7 books?

Because like you, they are enemies of Christ. Dweebs in sheep's clothing.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:12:41 AM

Others don't.

I can add pages from fantasy novels to the bible and nobody would know the difference.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:20:40 AM
At 7/26/2016 9:12:41 AM, Willows wrote:

Others don't.

I can add pages from fantasy novels to the bible and nobody would know the difference.

To be honest, Willows, the difference would be obvious to most people. The fantasy novels would be better written and more belivable.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:27:02 AM

Others don't.

Yes! The original bible contained those books so I guess the redactors are damned.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:30:20 AM
At 7/26/2016 9:04:35 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Others don't.

What christianity would exist without the compilers of the bible ie. Catholics?
If the Catholics reject the notion that there book is the be all and end all of christianity who are you to disagree?
It's their book after all.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:40:10 AM
At 7/26/2016 9:30:20 AM, bulproof wrote:

Others don't.

I will debate this with you when you know the history of the Bible.

If the Catholics reject the notion that there book is the be all and end all of christianity who are you to disagree?

A disciple of Jesus Christ.

No, it isn't. The oldest copies of the Bible were found in Israel, and the bible itself is addresses to all believers.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:46:25 AM
At 7/26/2016 9:40:10 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Others don't.

No, it isn't. The oldest copies of the Bible were found in Israel, and the bible itself is addresses to all believers.
I've always known you don't know much, but really, your understanding of christian history is appalling.
Do a little reading thang, you just embarrass yourself.
The Catholics compiled the bible, which makes it their book.
What did your particular cult have to do with it's compilation?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 11:06:35 AM
At 7/26/2016 9:46:25 AM, bulproof wrote:

Others don't.

I've always known you don't know much, but really, your understanding of christian history is appalling.

lol. Are you appalled? Are you also atrolled?

So.... the oldest manuscripts were not found in Israel?

Compiling several books does not change ownership of the individual books. The Jews, writers of the O and NT, would dispute that Exodus, for example, "belongs" to Catholics. Stop being stupid.

You may be surprised to know that the Bible used by "my particular cult" is not the one used by the RCC. It is the one used by almost all Christians. But you know history right?

I have to go now. I'm compiling 3 books. One by Stephen King, one by Fitzgerald, and one by Shelly. Then they will be MINE, and I'll get all the royalties. Bully said so Stephen!

lol.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 11:22:06 AM
At 7/26/2016 11:06:35 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:46:25 AM, bulproof wrote:

Others don't.

What do you claim is the oldest copy of the bible?

No thang it's just your lack of knowledge that is appalling.

Oh look the poor thang has, as he needs to, changed his claim. Your earlier claim was the earliest bible and I ask you which bible that is?

Compiling several books does not change ownership of the individual books. The Jews, writers of the O and NT, would dispute that Exodus, for example, "belongs" to Catholics. Stop being stupid.
And anybody with even a modicum of archaeological knowledge would dispute that the Exodus ever happened, as I've said before you need to read some real books.

You may be surprised to know that the Bible used by "my particular cult" is not the one used by the RCC. It is the one used by almost all Christians. But you know history right?
There are approx 2.4billion christians of which 1.7billion are Catholics, it would seem that your knowledge of basic arithmetic is even more shallow than you understanding of history.
I have to go now. I'm compiling 3 books. One by Stephen King, one by Fitzgerald, and one by Shelly. Then they will be MINE, and I'll get all the royalties. Bully said so Stephen!
The BIBLE, poor little thing is the book produced by the Catholics and your cult didn't exist for another 1300yrs.
Try and learn something before you come back.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 8:35:45 PM

Others don't.

Which denomination are you Ethan?

Are you saying the vast majority of Christians (Catholic and eastern orthodox denominations) are enemies of Christ?

How do you know these seven books are not the word of Yahweh? Did he tell you?

How do you know they are wrong and you are right?

Why didn't the holy spirit prevent these enemies of Christ including these books in the vast majority of bibles ever printed?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 8:37:48 PM

Others don't.

How do you know that Yawheh didn't make a second revelation?

Were you there?

The reality is you are just guessing.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 1:19:13 PM
At 7/26/2016 8:37:48 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Because He said so.

Were you there?

Where?

Or you're an idiot who thinks everything is untrue if you're not "there".

I bet on the latter.
pacchu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 1:28:22 PM

Others don't.

Either these books are the word of God or they are the word of men with no divine influence. If Christianity is true why has the holy spirit failed to guide clergy towards a unanimous uniform agreement on what the word of God actually is and which books belong in the bible and which ones don't? : :

The Bible is NOT the word of God. However, it does show that men called prophets and saints testified to the word of God and ended up writing down words that formed in their mind that came from the word of God.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 1:53:54 PM
At 7/26/2016 11:22:06 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/26/2016 11:06:35 AM, ethang5 wrote:

What do you claim is the oldest copy of the bible?

Instead of posting "my claim", I will simply post what is. See, this is a physically provable thing, based on facts and not emotion. Unlike atheism.

The Aleppo Codex (c. 920 CE) and Leningrad Codex (c. 1008 CE) were the oldest Hebrew language manuscripts of the Tanakh. In 1947 the finding of the Dead Sea scrolls at Qumran pushed the manuscript history of the Tanakh back a millennium from the two earliest complete codices. Before this discovery, the earliest extant manuscripts of the Old Testament were in Greek in manuscripts such as Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaiticus. Out of the roughly 800 manuscripts found at Qumran, 220 are from the Tanakh. Every book of the Tanakh is represented except for the Book of Esther; however, most are fragmentary. Notably, there are two scrolls of the Book of Isaiah, one complete (1QIsa), and one around 75% complete (1QIsb). These manuscripts generally date between 150 BCE to 70 CE.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org...

No thang it's just your lack of knowledge that is appalling.

Right, though I know more than you. Its your behavior that is atrolling. Sorry.

It's amazing how bully thinks the forum works. He believes that if he simply posts that his opponent is illiterate, it becomes so and the Gentle Readers are fooled. He actually believes that.

Oh look the poor thang has, as he needs to, changed his claim. Your earlier claim was the earliest bible and I ask you which bible that is?

What bully must be calling an "Earlier" claim - The oldest copies of the Bible were found in Israel, and the bible itself is addresses to all believers.

What bully must be calling a "prior" claim - So.... the oldest manuscripts were not found in Israel?

lol. Does the "thinking person" know what a claim is?

And anybody with even a modicum of archaeological knowledge would dispute that the Exodus ever happened, as I've said before you need to read some real books.

Hee, hee. He couldn't address my rebuttal that compiling several books does not change ownership of the individual books, so he suddenly and irrationally switches to the Exodus never happened. I know some of you Gentle Readers think bully and I are setting this up, but I swear, this guy is this stupid. For real.

There are approx 2.4billion christians of which 1.7billion are Catholics, it would seem that your knowledge of basic arithmetic is even more shallow than you understanding of history.

If you knew what Bible most Christians used, you wouldn't have posted this.

The BIBLE, poor little thing is the book produced by the Catholics and your cult didn't exist for another 1300yrs.

When ever bully starts pretending others are "little", he's run out of things to say. He's a teen and thinks calling others babies is something a "mature" person would say. lol.

Try and learn something before you come back.

Come back??? You stalk me all over the board bully. It's no wonder you're the troll king. No one makes bigger lolz than you.

Wheeeee!
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 2:09:40 PM
At 7/26/2016 8:35:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Because narrow is the path and few there be who find it. You're supposed to be a Bible whiz, and you don't know the Bible's answer to this juvenile question?

Notice Gentle Reader, he has no response to my rebuttal, but will now attempt to divert the convo to denominations. Do you think he would do this if his argument was sound and defensible?

Are you saying the vast majority of Christians (Catholic and eastern orthodox denominations) are enemies of Christ?

No, I said YOU were an enemy of Christ. I did not agree that over half of my fellow Christians and many significant historical figures in my religion have not been guided to the truth. That is your claim.

Don't be an idiot. Do you think the criteria is, "every book God didn't mention is included"?

Aern't you supposed to be a Bible whiz? How can you constantly yammer about the Bible when you don't even know why certain books were included and others excluded? You are too ignorant to ask this question, and certainly too ignorant to receive the answer.

Why didn't the holy spirit prevent these enemies of Christ including these books in the vast majority of bibles ever printed?

They aren't in the vast majority of Bibles. And why would the Holy Spirit prevent them? How does including, say, Dr. Seuss "Green Eggs and Ham" in the books of the Bible harm the Bible? And if they never did, how would I be able to show you up as a decietful, smarmy, illogical, enemy of Christ here?

God works in mysterious ways.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 8:23:48 PM
At 7/27/2016 1:19:13 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 8:37:48 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Because He said so.

Were you there?

Where?

Or you're an idiot who thinks everything is untrue if you're not "there".

I bet on the latter.

The Catholic church was recognized almost universally at that time as the true form of Christianity.

The Synod of Rome (382), the Council of Hippo (393), the Council of Carthage (397), a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse (405), and the Second Council of Carthage (419) all support the inclusion of the deutrocanonicals.

For over 1, 000 years there was no dispute about their inclusion. Martin Luther decided to exclude them without divine influence, purely on his own interpretation.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 8:47:22 PM
At 7/27/2016 2:09:40 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 8:35:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Others don't.

Because narrow is the path and few there be who find it. You're supposed to be a Bible whiz, and you don't know the Bible's answer to this juvenile question?

Why would a path be deliberately narrow and hard to find? Only a cruel god hides the truth amongst thousands of lies. If there was a truth it would stand out like a piece of gold amongst pieces of tin, not blend in with all of the other rubbish like your denomination does.

Notice Gentle Reader, he has no response to my rebuttal, but will now attempt to divert the convo to denominations. Do you think he would do this if his argument was sound and defensible?

It was just out of interest? Why the hostility?

If Yawheh and the holy spirit actually existed they would not allow the bible to be corrupted by humans. They would want to ensure the bible contained the truth.

If you were an ordinary unenlightened peasant in 805 how are you supposed to know if the deutrocanonicals are true Canon or human additions?

If some parts of the bible are not true Canon what makes you think others are?

No, I said YOU were an enemy of Christ. I did not agree that over half of my fellow Christians and many significant historical figures in my religion have not been guided to the truth. That is your claim.

I can't remember what you said as you conveniently erased it. Talk of dishonesty. The reality is most Christians believe denominations that claim the deutrocanonicals are true Canon and the word of God. You and a minority of Christians over the last 500 or so years have disputed their inclusion in the bible.

Don't be an idiot. Do you think the criteria is, "every book God didn't mention is included"?

They were recognized as the word of God almost universally for over a thousand years. It's up to you to prove that they are not the word of God. It's obvious church leaders of the time considered them true Cannon. Why did the holy spirit fail to guide them to the truth?

Aern't you supposed to be a Bible whiz? How can you constantly yammer about the Bible when you don't even know why certain books were included and others excluded? You are too ignorant to ask this question, and certainly too ignorant to receive the answer.

There is an ongoing dispute over which books should be included. Your religion is completely divided over it.

They aren't in the vast majority of Bibles. And why would the Holy Spirit prevent them? How does including, say, Dr. Seuss "Green Eggs and Ham" in the books of the Bible harm the Bible? And if they never did, how would I be able to show you up as a decietful, smarmy, illogical, enemy of Christ here?

God works in mysterious ways.

Including that would make it even more obvious the bible is the work of humans not influenced by a God. The fact is most Christians believe the deutrocanonicals are true Cannon and most bibles contain those books. The holy spirit would prevent false guidance and information getting into the bible. Obviously over half of Christians think they are relevant. It's the responsibility of the holy spirit to guide people to the truth. How can someone of average intelligence in a Catholic area be expected to know that the deutrocanonicals are not true Cannon? The bible is supposedly the word of God. It's wrong for a God to allow lies to be placed in the book written supposedly to ensure each person achieves salvation.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 9:04:47 PM
Historical note:
Marcion https://en.wikipedia.org...
around 100 AD proposed a Christian Bible that completely junked the OT on the grounds that YHWH (the bloodthirsty and violent God of the Hebrews) was clearly not the same god as the good and loving God of Christians. Marcion believed there were literally two gods, not one.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 10:55:07 PM

Others don't.

Surely you don't mean an "official" debate?

hahahahahahaha
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:06:01 PM
At 7/26/2016 9:12:41 AM, Willows wrote:

Only if person doesn"t understand what he is reading.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:06:32 PM

Others don't.

What you mean with "God"s" word? That God wrote it?

Bible is collection of scriptures. It is not necessary to put all books in it, even if they could fit in to it, if they have not crucial information. But those books may as well be written in God"s guidance.

Either these books are the word of God or they are the word of men with no divine influence.

I think your conclusion is irrational and baseless.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:32:58 PM
At 7/28/2016 7:06:32 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Others don't.

What you mean with "God"s" word? That God wrote it?

That God influenced it and intended for the book in question to be used to communicate with humanity to give guidance, information etc.

Bible is collection of scriptures. It is not necessary to put all books in it, even if they could fit in to it, if they have not crucial information. But those books may as well be written in God"s guidance.

Yes some Christians claim the information in the deutrocanonicals is crucial (Catholic church, Eastern Orthodox church) others disagree.

Either these books are the word of God or they are the word of men with no divine influence.

I think your conclusion is irrational and baseless.

What are they then? Either they are important information God wants people to know or they are just meaningless creations of humans with no divine influence.
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:20:16 PM

Others don't.

Those books were always included in a separate section of the Bible. They were to be used as reference books but not to be treated as scripture.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:24:42 PM
At 7/28/2016 8:20:16 PM, Jerry947 wrote:

Others don't.

Those books were always included in a separate section of the Bible. They were to be used as reference books but not to be treated as scripture.

Who says so?
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:26:17 PM
At 7/28/2016 8:24:42 PM, desmac wrote:

Others don't.

Who says so?

Have you studied Jerome at all?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:33:17 PM
At 7/28/2016 8:26:17 PM, Jerry947 wrote:

Others don't.

Who says so?

Do you always answer a question with a question?
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:34:40 PM
At 7/28/2016 8:33:17 PM, desmac wrote:
At 7/28/2016 8:26:17 PM, Jerry947 wrote:

Others don't.

Who says so?

Do you always answer a question with a question?

I gave you a jeopardy type of answer.