Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is the Cross a Symbol of Christianity

Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:35:07 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.

ME: I guess that about extends your in depth thinking, but what has it got to to with the subject.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:37:35 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:35:07 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.

ME: I guess that about extends your in depth thinking, but what has it got to to with the subject.
I see you're afraid of the answer. That's understandable.
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:38:19 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 5:42:08 AM, bulproof wrote:
Yes.

i have never seen such impressive answer and too detailed!
Never fart near dog
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:42:54 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.

ME: Almost every Christian denomination has a cross on the church to identify its worship content. But you are (accidentally) correct, True Christians did not use the Cross in any form, let alone as a symbol. The early Christians never carried around a cross or wore the symbol around their necks.

The crusaders used the cross symbol on banners and as staffs when they went to war. The parsons and priests (Different religions) wear cross badges on their uniforms.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:48:31 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:38:19 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:42:08 AM, bulproof wrote:
Yes.

i have never seen such impressive answer and too detailed!
Thanks Poo, from you I accept the compliment. :)
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:50:27 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.
Have you never seen The Life of Brian?
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:50:53 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:35:07 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.

ME: I guess that about extends your in depth thinking, but what has it got to to with the subject.

Exactly the reaction that I and following posts anticipated.

You know very well what it has to do with the subject and so does Blind Freddy. However Blind Freddy does not carry on in a defiant, belligerent, arrogant manner every time he hears something that might be slightly contrary to his way of thinking. Only 2 year olds and JWs do that.
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,490
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:51:02 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:48:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:38:19 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:42:08 AM, bulproof wrote:
Yes.

i have never seen such impressive answer and too detailed!
Thanks Poo, from you I accept the compliment. :)

no problem may chance bless u :x
Never fart near dog
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:52:54 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:51:02 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:48:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:38:19 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:42:08 AM, bulproof wrote:
Yes.

i have never seen such impressive answer and too detailed!
Thanks Poo, from you I accept the compliment. :)

no problem may chance bless u :x
+1
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 2:51:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:42:54 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.

ME: Almost every Christian denomination has a cross on the church to identify its worship content.

That does not mean that they are employing the cross in worship.

But you are (accidentally) correct, True Christians did not use the Cross in any form, let alone as a symbol. The early Christians never carried around a cross or wore the symbol around their necks.

The crusaders used the cross symbol on banners and as staffs when they went to war. The parsons and priests (Different religions) wear cross badges on their uniforms.

... and none of that implies using a cross in worship, either.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
pacchu
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:07:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14. : :

Christians don't obey the commandments of God. They're hypocrites who judge others wrongly. Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 3:11:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The Jehovah's Witness believe Jesus was nailed to a vertical stake with his hands nailed above his head and his feet nailed below. But medical experts believe that is impossible because in that position just his body weight would have ripped his hands and legs from the nails. The muscles and tendons in a humans feet and hands cannot support the human body weight with just nails through the hands. used to hold it up.

Major Problems with the New World Translation

The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues[2].
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 7:08:59 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

Its a reminder to Christians that all their bad stuff does not have to be accounted for through human sacrifice.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 8:22:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Christianity is the only religion which worships a dead corpse nailed to a wooden cross. Christians gather ever week to celebrate the delusional beliefs of a Jewish rabbi and to be absolved of their sins by his tortured sacrifice.

The cross is a symbol of Christianity's barbaric past where Jesus was crucified for his delusional claims and put to death for his blasphemous lies so he could pay for the sins of future generations of Christians who simply have to acknowledge the arrangement and accept his sacrifice much to the chagrin of Jews who were vilified for seeking his crucifixion. Go figure!!!

Unfortunately beyond the symbolism there is little comfort in knowing this deception is embraced by over 2 billion Christians the world over.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 12:05:10 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:50:53 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:35:07 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.

ME: Okay, I give in, what has the above comment got to do with the pagan cross?

ME: I guess that about extends your in depth thinking, but what has it got to to with the subject.

Exactly the reaction that I and following posts anticipated.

You know very well what it has to do with the subject and so does Blind Freddy. However Blind Freddy does not carry on in a defiant, belligerent, arrogant manner every time he hears something that might be slightly contrary to his way of thinking. Only 2 year olds and JWs do that.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 12:34:05 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 3:11:40 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The Jehovah's Witness believe Jesus was nailed to a vertical stake with his hands nailed above his head and his feet nailed below. But medical experts believe that is impossible because in that position just his body weight would have ripped his hands and legs from the nails. The muscles and tendons in a humans feet and hands cannot support the human body weight with just nails through the hands. used to hold it up.

ME: On the other hand, as Jesus was murdered under the Jewish system and not the Roman system of tying the criminal on a cross bar and letting the birds pick their eyes out, not even removing the body until it is bone and nothing more and then the bones would fall to the ground and the animals would collect those remains and carry them off. The manner in which Jesus was killed required him to be dead by the end of he day, or before 6.00 PM. The process was to break the legs of the victim so that they would hang down, and with their arms directly above their head they would suffocate.

There is conjecture as to where the nails went through the 'hands' or if it was the wrists as the wrists are a part of the hand??? I doubt that that matters at all really.

If you wish to prove otherwise, find the word of crucify in the bible, and get the correct translation of he crowds cry as Jesus carried the stake, was it "Kill him, Kill him" or Crucify Him, Crucify Him". Remember I said an accurate interpretation.

Major Problems with the New World Translation

The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues[2
Is the New World Translation Accurate?
The first part of the New World Translation was released in 1950. Since then, some people have commented on or questioned the accuracy of the New World Translation * because in places it differs from other translations of the Bible. The reasons for these differences usually fall into one of the following categories.
Reliability. The New World Translation is based on up-to-date scholarly research and the most reliable ancient manuscripts. In contrast, the King James Version of 1611 was based on manuscripts that were often less accurate and not as old as those used in producing the New World Translation.
Faithfulness. The New World Translation strives to convey faithfully the original message that was inspired by God. (2 Timothy 3:16) Many translations of the Bible sacrifice faithfulness to God"s message in favor of following human traditions, for instance by replacing God"s personal name, Jehovah, with titles such as Lord or God.
Literalness. Unlike paraphrased translations, the New World Translation renders words literally as long as doing so does not result in awkward wording or hide the thought of the original writings. Translations that paraphrase the Bible"s original text may insert human opinions or omit important details.
Differences between the New World Translation and other translations
Missing books. In their Bibles, the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches include books known by some as the Apocrypha. However, those books were not accepted into the Jewish canon, and it is noteworthy that the Bible says that the Jews were the ones who were "entrusted with the sacred pronouncements of God." (Romans 3:1, 2) Thus, the New World Translation and many other modern Bible translations rightly exclude the books of the Apocrypha.

Missing verses. Some translations add verses and phrases that are not in the oldest available Bible manuscripts, but the New World Translation excludes such added material. Many modern translations either omit those later additions or acknowledge that those additions lack support from the most authoritative sources. *
In a letter dated December 8, 1950, noted Bible translator and scholar Edgar J. Goodspeed wrote regarding the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures: "I am interested in the mission work of your people, and its world wide scope, and much pleased with the free, frank and vigorous translation. It exhibits a vast array of sound serious learning, as I can testify."
Bible translator and scholar Edgar J. Goodspeed
Edgar J. Goodspeed
Professor Allen Wikgren of the University of Chicago cited the New World Translation as an example of a modern speech version that rather than being derived from other translations, often has "independent readings of merit.""The Interpreter"s Bible, Volume I, page 99.
Commenting on the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures, British Bible critic Alexander Thomson wrote: "The translation is evidently the work of skilled and clever scholars, who have sought to bring out as much of the true sense of the Greek text as the English language is capable of expressing.""The Differentiator, April 1952, page 52.
Despite noting what he felt were a few unusual renderings, author Charles Francis Potter said: "The anonymous translators have certainly rendered the best manuscript texts, both Greek and Hebrew, with scholarly ability and acumen.""The Faiths Men Live By, page 300.
Although he felt that the New World Translation had both peculiarities and excellences, Robert M. McCoy concluded his review of it by stating: "The translation of the New Testament is evidence of the presence in the movement [Jehovah"s Witnesses] of scholars qualified to deal intelligently with the many problems of Biblical translation.""Andover Newton Quarterly, January 1963, page 31.
Professor S. MacLean Gilmour, while not agreeing with some renderings in the New World Translation, still acknowledged that its translators "possessed an unusual competence in Greek.""Andover Newton Quarterly, September 1966, page 26.
In his review of the New World Translation that forms part of the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, Associate Professor Thomas N. Winter wrote: "The translation by the anonymous committee is thoroughly up-to-date and consistently accurate.""The Classical Journal, April-May 19
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 12:36:24 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 9:50:53 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 9:35:07 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 5:05:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The mind boggles as to how you JWs could ever navigate the internet or even use your computer without clicking on icons.

ME: I guess that about extends your in depth thinking, but what has it got to to with the subject.

Exactly the reaction that I and following posts anticipated.

You know very well what it has to do with the subject and so does Blind Freddy. However Blind Freddy does not carry on in a defiant, belligerent, arrogant manner every time he hears something that might be slightly contrary to his way of thinking. Only 2 year olds and JWs do that.

ME: You are correct. Blind Freddy teaches you all he reads and understands, which is a scientific question...Does nothing exist?
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 12:51:05 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 8:22:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Christianity is the only religion which worships a dead corpse nailed to a wooden cross. Christians gather ever week to celebrate the delusional beliefs of a Jewish rabbi and to be absolved of their sins by his tortured sacrifice.

The cross is a symbol of Christianity's barbaric past where Jesus was crucified for his delusional claims and put to death for his blasphemous lies so he could pay for the sins of future generations of Christians who simply have to acknowledge the arrangement and accept his sacrifice much to the chagrin of Jews who were vilified for seeking his crucifixion. Go figure!!!

ME: You talk about barbaric, what about the murderous wars perpetrated by the Hindus over the years. Many of those wars were political and had nothing to do with the "Need for war". Hindus are still at war and contribute to the 50 or more wars that are going on in the world today. There are no JW wars going on against fellow man.

Unfortunately beyond the symbolism there is little comfort in knowing this deception is embraced by over 2 billion Christians the world over.

ME: You, a Hindu, should not talk about symbolism. Lord Ganesh, a fat elephant sitting on his arse. the Swasticker symbol or cross, now we have great love for that one don't we? Hindu is full of symbolism and not truth or common sense...How about reincarnation...Who did the first incarnate reincarnate to......Maybe it was by one of the evolution theories.

How many people does your symbolism "Embrace", embrace meaning Fool.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 2:02:56 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/27/2016 12:34:05 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 3:11:40 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:03:26 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
The cross, in many forms has been around for many years in the religions of mankind. Most of those religions were pagan creeds, but eventually, in around 300 CE: The cross became used on churches of Christendom supposedly representing the Christian creed.

Crucify is linked with the cross, but there is no word that can be translated to crucify in the Bible, and the word used for Jesus' torture stake only refers to a tree, a stake or a plank of wood.

The Bible says that Christians should not use a symbol of ANY kind in their worship.

"God rejects worship that uses images or symbols, including the cross. God commanded the Israelites not to use "the form of any symbol" in their worship, and Christians are likewise told to "flee from idolatry.""Deuteronomy 4:15-19; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

The Jehovah's Witness believe Jesus was nailed to a vertical stake with his hands nailed above his head and his feet nailed below. But medical experts believe that is impossible because in that position just his body weight would have ripped his hands and legs from the nails. The muscles and tendons in a humans feet and hands cannot support the human body weight with just nails through the hands. used to hold it up.

ME: On the other hand, as Jesus was murdered under the Jewish system and not the Roman system of tying the criminal on a cross bar and letting the birds pick their eyes out, not even removing the body until it is bone and nothing more and then the bones would fall to the ground and the animals would collect those remains and carry them off. The manner in which Jesus was killed required him to be dead by the end of he day, or before 6.00 PM. The process was to break the legs of the victim so that they would hang down, and with their arms directly above their head they would suffocate.

The Jews did not believe in crucifixion or nailing the body to a stake or cross. It was the Romans that practised crucifixion to set an example to those under their rule the consequences of opposing Roman rule. Israel was under Roman rule and law as an occupied country. The Jews were not permitted by Roman law to put anyone to death. So it was up to the Romans to pass the ultimate judgement on Jesus and they crucified him along with 2 other criminals and the method used was nailing Jesus to a wooden stake or cross. Since the Jehovah's Witnesses teach Jesus was nailed to a stake they are accepting the Roman method of crucifixion of Jesus.
" Romans used nails from crosses on which people had been crucified for healing epileptics (Pliny, Natural History)."

Stoning was the preferred method method of execution practiced by Jews in the first century and earlier (Lev. 20:2, 27; 24:16; Num. 15:35; Deut. 21:21).

John 18:31 Commentaries: So Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves, and judge Him according to your law." The Jews said to him, "We are not permitted to put anyone to death,"

The Jews therefore said to him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death: ... If the Jews had judged him by their law, he had been stoned; crucifying never a Jewish practice.

"It is not lawful for us to put any man to death."Their words admit that they did not possess the power of life and death, while they imply that they had sentenced Jesus to death. They verbally give up the power, but in reality claim it, and regard the procurator as their executioner. The Jews had lost this power since the time that Archelaus was deposed, and Jud"a became a Roman province (A.D. 6 or 7). The Talmud speaks of the loss of this power forty years or more before the destruction of Jerusalem. (Comp. Lightfoot"s Note here, and in Matthew 26:3.)"

There is conjecture as to where the nails went through the 'hands' or if it was the wrists as the wrists are a part of the hand??? I doubt that that matters at all really.

If you wish to prove otherwise, find the word of crucify in the bible, and get the correct translation of he crowds cry as Jesus carried the stake, was it "Kill him, Kill him" or Crucify Him, Crucify Him". Remember I said an accurate interpretation.

Major Problems with the New World Translation

The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues[2

"Since the Jehovah's Witness organization currently rejects most of the teachings of its founder Charles Taze Russell (who was president of the organization from 1879-1916), and since they also reject "Judge" Joseph Franklin Rutherford, who succeeded Russell as president from 1916 - 1942, how can we be sure that in 25 more years, Jehovah's Witnesses won't also reject the current president, Milton G. Henschel (1992 - present), as they did Russell and Rutherford?"
Harikrish
Posts: 11,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 2:24:15 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/27/2016 12:51:05 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 8:22:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Christianity is the only religion which worships a dead corpse nailed to a wooden cross. Christians gather ever week to celebrate the delusional beliefs of a Jewish rabbi and to be absolved of their sins by his tortured sacrifice.

The cross is a symbol of Christianity's barbaric past where Jesus was crucified for his delusional claims and put to death for his blasphemous lies so he could pay for the sins of future generations of Christians who simply have to acknowledge the arrangement and accept his sacrifice much to the chagrin of Jews who were vilified for seeking his crucifixion. Go figure!!!

ME: You talk about barbaric, what about the murderous wars perpetrated by the Hindus over the years. Many of those wars were political and had nothing to do with the "Need for war". Hindus are still at war and contribute to the 50 or more wars that are going on in the world today. There are no JW wars going on against fellow man.

Unfortunately beyond the symbolism there is little comfort in knowing this deception is embraced by over 2 billion Christians the world over.

ME: You, a Hindu, should not talk about symbolism. Lord Ganesh, a fat elephant sitting on his arse. the Swasticker symbol or cross, now we have great love for that one don't we? Hindu is full of symbolism and not truth or common sense...How about reincarnation...Who did the first incarnate reincarnate to......Maybe it was by one of the evolution theories.

How many people does your symbolism "Embrace", embrace meaning Fool.

Hinduism is beyond the scope of the average DDO member. Hindus find Human sacrifice and worshipping a dead Jewish corpse nailed to a wooden cross extremely barbaric and extremely unsophisticated and best left to scripturally illiterate followers to bask in their blissful ignorance.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 11:44:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/27/2016 2:24:15 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 7/27/2016 12:51:05 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 7/26/2016 8:22:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:
Christianity is the only religion which worships a dead corpse nailed to a wooden cross. Christians gather ever week to celebrate the delusional beliefs of a Jewish rabbi and to be absolved of their sins by his tortured sacrifice.

The cross is a symbol of Christianity's barbaric past where Jesus was crucified for his delusional claims and put to death for his blasphemous lies so he could pay for the sins of future generations of Christians who simply have to acknowledge the arrangement and accept his sacrifice much to the chagrin of Jews who were vilified for seeking his crucifixion. Go figure!!!

ME: You talk about barbaric, what about the murderous wars perpetrated by the Hindus over the years. Many of those wars were political and had nothing to do with the "Need for war". Hindus are still at war and contribute to the 50 or more wars that are going on in the world today. There are no JW wars going on against fellow man.

Unfortunately beyond the symbolism there is little comfort in knowing this deception is embraced by over 2 billion Christians the world over.

ME: You, a Hindu, should not talk about symbolism. Lord Ganesh, a fat elephant sitting on his arse. the Swasticker symbol or cross, now we have great love for that one don't we? Hindu is full of symbolism and not truth or common sense...How about reincarnation...Who did the first incarnate reincarnate to......Maybe it was by one of the evolution theories.

How many people does your symbolism "Embrace", embrace meaning Fool.

Hinduism is beyond the scope of the average DDO member. Hindus find Human sacrifice and worshipping a dead Jewish corpse nailed to a wooden cross extremely barbaric and extremely unsophisticated and best left to scripturally illiterate followers to bask in their blissful ignorance.

ME: And why wouldn't it be beyond the average decent human? Your religion promotes veneration of animals, and that is below homosexuality. Your origin stems from Baal, the worship of the calf and it is propagated, and stimulated by satanic forces

For you to condemn a clean, honest minded organisation like the JW's is sheer hypocrisy.

Your religion is full of the symbolism of pagan ritual, and for you to condemn, as well, the sacrifice that God allowed in the death of his only begotten son is filth and from a demonic mind.

Your religion has no founder or date of origin, it just rose from the cow dung spattered gutters of India. You contaminate the Indus River with your filthy bodies, sending your diseases down to the next village as though it is your right to do so.

Before you start defaming anyone else, clean up your own satanic act.
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 12:11:42 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM, annanicole wrote:
Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.

catholics are christians
annanicole
Posts: 19,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 12:49:22 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 12:11:42 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM, annanicole wrote:
Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.

catholics are christians

Depends upon the definition that one uses. I'm sure that by the definition you employ, yes they are.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:52:30 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Typical ill-informed garbage from Peternosaint! -

The Botchtower tried to cover up their ' not a cross ' blunders, but typically miserably failed -

A picture on page 7 of the 1990 Watchtower booklet How Can Blood Save Your Life shows early Christians dying on crosses in the arena. (Source: http://www.cftf.com...)

(Source: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com...)


&

The Botchtower also depicted a Cross on their own propaganda -

http://www.jwlies.com...

&

http://www.jwlies.com...

&

In 1963 the Botchtower made an unusual admission about the word stauros: - ". . . the term stauros, the only one used by the Gospel writers when referring to that upon which Jesus hung, could mean either a plain pole, a stake or a cross" (Awake!, April 8, 1963, p. 28; compare to the November 22, 1976 Awake!, p. 27).

Stick to shagging Rams Peter, you are apparently good at that!
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:51:39 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 12:49:22 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 7/28/2016 12:11:42 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:
At 7/26/2016 4:39:01 AM, annanicole wrote:
Christians do not use the cross in worship in the first place. Catholics are the only group of folks that do that.

catholics are christians

Depends upon the definition that one uses. I'm sure that by the definition you employ, yes they are.

Don't forget that most of the plethora of christian cults and sects claim that all the thousands of other other cults and sects are not "True christians".
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:11:10 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 3:52:30 AM, Composer wrote:
Typical ill-informed garbage from Peternosaint! -

The Botchtower tried to cover up their ' not a cross ' blunders, but typically miserably failed -

A picture on page 7 of the 1990 Watchtower booklet How Can Blood Save Your Life shows early Christians dying on crosses in the arena. (Source: http://www.cftf.com...)

(Source: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com...)


&

The Botchtower also depicted a Cross on their own propaganda -

http://www.jwlies.com...

&

http://www.jwlies.com...

&

In 1963 the Botchtower made an unusual admission about the word stauros: - ". . . the term stauros, the only one used by the Gospel writers when referring to that upon which Jesus hung, could mean either a plain pole, a stake or a cross" (Awake!, April 8, 1963, p. 28; compare to the November 22, 1976 Awake!, p. 27).

Stick to shagging Rams Peter, you are apparently good at that!

And you are good at nothing, you are about a useful as toilet paper to a colostomy bag carried, and about as pleasant as the later.

ME: Answering you makes me feel like I have been in a cess pit, but you have posted your lies again. Your "Facts" come from JW facts, which is not an organisation attached to the JWs.

You have lied and lied in an attempt to get others to believe your garbage, but eventually you are nothing more than a mug, a Komodo dragon that has a poisonous mouth, and very little brain.