Jump to topic:

Constitution LAWS based on RELIGION

daikoru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 8:55:48 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It's an interesting topic, I know there are some countries and even some American states that have some laws based on what the Bible or their religion say.

For example in some countries it's illegal to be homosexual or to be an atheist, what surprises me the most is the fact that in some American states you are required to be Christian in order to be part of the government. An atheist or another type or theist couldn't be "qualified".
I thought the church and the state were separated.

Why do you think the reason people still want their religion to be part of the laws is?

Sorry, my first language isn't English.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2016 9:08:32 PM
At 7/26/2016 8:55:48 PM, daikoru wrote:
It's an interesting topic, I know there are some countries and even some American states that have some laws based on what the Bible or their religion say.

For example in some countries it's illegal to be homosexual or to be an atheist, what surprises me the most is the fact that in some American states you are required to be Christian in order to be part of the government. An atheist or another type or theist couldn't be "qualified".

Why do you think the reason people still want their religion to be part of the laws is?

You language is more than adequate and your questions are pertinent.
I look forward to some answers.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 6:11:04 AM

Inaccurate.

First off, there are a number of American laws that have more or less fallen through the cracks that still exist in the record books, but are not followed. The law you're referring to in certain States is one of them. An atheist can hold office in any of these States. The inaccurate part of your post is they are not Christian laws. This law, at the time it was implemented, was designed to favor any individual who believed in a higher moral power. If you read again this law per each given State, you should notice that this included deists. And deists generally do not view deism as a religion. None of these laws are based on Christian doctrine/scripture. There are no American laws based on Christian doctrine/scripture....none.

You have to remember, atheism back in the time this law was implemented was an extremely unpopular concept, even among deists like Thomas Paine. The only founding father I know of that might have been sympathetic to atheism was Thomas Jefferson. However, there is no recorded individual in early American history who claimed to be an atheist that I know of.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 6:31:08 AM

Well the answer is that they believe their respective religions to be factual. That's really all there is to it.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 6:43:23 AM

America used to be religious state, where biblical spirits are inserted into the laws. However it is no longer happen. Christianity is gradually be kicked out of state institutions such as courts, schools, and any public institutions. To be a part of government there is NO religious stance requirement at all, except maybe muslims, since they tend to generate conflict among western cultures and islam. other religions or beliefs, have no problem at all, in government institutions.