Christian Capitalists

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 5:43:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
These people make me lol.

You cannot serve both God and Money (Matthew 6:24).

Honestly, at this point I'm so disgusted by the hypocrisy of "Christians" that it's just hilarious and far more amusing to make fun of them than even bother engaging in a debate. Besides, there's nothing really to debate. The Bible is pretty clear.

But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just (Luke 14:13).

If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven (Matthew 19:21).

etc etc etc.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 5:51:45 PM
Yeah, pretty much sums it up.

I particularly am troubled by the new wave of God-wants-you-to-be-rich style of sermons. But that's what you get at these fast food mega-churches. They treat the gospel like it's a 6-piece happy meal.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 5:51:52 PM
"For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; 15to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. 17In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. 18But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. 19After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents.' 21His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' 22And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents.' 23His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.' 24Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; 25so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' 26But his master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter? 27Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. 28So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. 29For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 30As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 5:56:06 PM
At 12/28/2010 5:51:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Yeah, pretty much sums it up.

I particularly am troubled by the new wave of God-wants-you-to-be-rich style of sermons. But that's what you get at these fast food mega-churches. They treat the gospel like it's a 6-piece happy meal.

lol... prosperity gospel. doesn't matter if you can't pay for your house, god will make it happen!!!11!11!

really though the natural rights tradition which leads up to libertarianism has strong roots in christianity... i don't see why their hypocrisy with regard to money is any more interesting than their hypocrisy with regard to other parts of the bible they find inconvenient.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:01:13 PM
At 12/28/2010 5:43:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:

God is the Owner, money is the manager.

Honestly, at this point I'm so disgusted by the hypocrisy of "Christians" that it's just hilarious and far more amusing to make fun of them than even bother engaging in a debate. Besides, there's nothing really to debate. The Bible is pretty clear.

They interpret the bible the way they CHOOSE. Unfortunately for all of us, our interpretations are never as good as theirs. Come on, L, you know that!

But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just (Luke 14:13).

If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven (Matthew 19:21).

etc etc etc.

I'm sure you are interpreting these wrong... LOL!!! I'm with you, what a joke.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:01:14 PM
I find it absolutely hilarious that you chose to respond with a Bible verse about SLAVES. Yes, very Christian indeed :D

Nevertheless, that has nothing to do with anything I've said considering the whole lesson is to not waste your talent, not become rich. If you're suggesting it's about becoming rich, then essentially you're proving that Matthew is a giant scathing hypocrite so quite obviously it follows that his followers are too :) Also, that same lesson can apply to any other system that rewards labor... which is pretty much... all of them.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:01:55 PM
At 12/28/2010 5:56:06 PM, belle wrote:
i don't see why their hypocrisy with regard to money is any more interesting than their hypocrisy with regard to other parts of the bible they find inconvenient.

Very true, but this one I find most annoying. Well... one of the most.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:12:28 PM
really though the natural rights tradition which leads up to libertarianism has strong roots in christianity... i don't see why their hypocrisy with regard to money is any more interesting than their hypocrisy with regard to other parts of the bible they find inconvenient.:

Probably because a lot of it stems from ignorance, and while certainly obnoxious, at least they just don't know any better or refuse to learn a thing.

But in this instance with the whole Prosperity Gospel, they are intentionally being deceptive to make a buck. You couldn't know that much of the bible and somehow managed to overlook that transparently heretical nonsense. It makes me wonder how many televangelists actually believe in their own gospel, because how could you knowingly fleece your own flock and still think you're square with the House? That seems inconceivable. It's almost more conceivable to think that they don't believe a lick of it and just found yet another way to extort people's money for personal gain.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:13:01 PM
Also, the New Testament is pretty clear about the fact that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. When I told my friend this, whose father is a pastor AND a multi-millionaire, he had an inadequate response.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:13:29 PM
At 12/28/2010 5:43:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:

etc etc etc.

Thank you for posting this.

Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.
Acts 2:45
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:14:54 PM
You can be a capitalist and give to the poor. To be a capitalist, all you have to do is respect the property rights of others. 'Thou shalt not steal' and 'Thou shalt not kill' seem pretty clear--Christians are morally obligated to respect other persons and their property. They're also supposed to give to the poor, but you can do that while being a capitalist, as long as it's your property you're giving to the poor, and not property that you had the government steal from someone else. Jesus didn't say, "steal from some of your neighbors to give to your other neighbors"--he told the rich to give their own wealth to the poor, which is entirely consistent with capitalism.

Now, Christian social conservatives--those people are ridiculous. Throughout the New Testament, who did Jesus fight with, who did Jesus condemn? Not the secular Roman government--he wasn't a fan of them, but he didn't focus on them, because though they taxed people, they left people alone in most respects. His problem was with the Jewish state that tried to legislate morality. He fought with the priests over such enforcement, preaching that you should love your neighbor as your self, and that it was not their place to enforce scripture.

"Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She replied, "No one, sir." Then Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin anymore."
(John 8: 3–11)

His message is clear--it is not man's job to enforce the laws of God. He doesn't condone her adultery, he merely emphasizes that it's God's job to judge her, not the mob's.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:30:19 PM
At 12/28/2010 6:14:54 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
You can be a capitalist and give to the poor. To be a capitalist, all you have to do is respect the property rights of others.

Good point, though there is no consensus on the precise definition of capitalism. Semantics aside I think we know the system and policies and groups I am referring to.
President of DDO
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:49:30 PM
At 12/28/2010 6:30:19 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 12/28/2010 6:14:54 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
You can be a capitalist and give to the poor. To be a capitalist, all you have to do is respect the property rights of others.

Good point, though there is no consensus on the precise definition of capitalism. Semantics aside I think we know the system and policies and groups I am referring to.

I would have said 'rich people' instead of 'capitalists', but yeah, I get what you're saying. But at least these people aren't hurting anyone, they're just being hypocrites. Social conservatism ignores Jesus' teachings and hurts innocent people.

Also, pro-war Christians, especially Christians that are really pro-life. That's about as disgustingly hypocritical as you can get.

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 6:55:44 PM
At 12/28/2010 6:49:30 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Also, pro-war Christians, especially Christians that are really pro-life. That's about as disgustingly hypocritical as you can get.

Lol not more hypocritical than pro death penalty Christians. They are absolutely delusional. I don't know what part of "Thou shalt not kill" and "But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" is so difficult to understand :P Or "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." Then again considering all of the paradoxical messages I can see how it's confusing to keep up.
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:06:59 PM
I'm fairly sure that there are countless verses in which God promised and gave to one of his important followers/prophets large tracts of land and bounties of material posessions. It's rather confusing.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:07:18 PM
pro-war Christians, especially Christians that are really pro-life. That's about as disgustingly hypocritical as you can get.

How is that hypocritical???

"The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name." (Exodus 15:3)

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and a$$." (I Samuel 15:2-3)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:11:53 PM
At 12/28/2010 7:07:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
pro-war Christians, especially Christians that are really pro-life. That's about as disgustingly hypocritical as you can get.

"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and a$$." (I Samuel 15:2-3)

I'm pretty sure if you're a Christian, Jesus' teachings are supposed to override stuff in the Old Testament.

In addition, if you're pro-life, you're arguing that having an abortion is morally equivalent to murdering an already-born human being, and should therefore be banned. If you argue that, while also saying that murdering already-born human beings in Iraq and Afghanistan is good, then you're a hypocrite.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:14:15 PM
especially Christians that are really pro-life. That's about as disgustingly hypocritical as you can get.

Though, I do agree that pro-life Christians are hypocritical given that God is an abortionist.

"Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts." -- Hosea 9:14

"Yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." -- Hosea 9:16

"they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." -- Hosea 13:16
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:14:34 PM
At 12/28/2010 7:07:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

This is when they argue that God changed his ways after the OT. This God seems very reactionary, considering he is omnipotent, and knows all.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:18:49 PM
: At 12/28/2010 5:43:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:

etc etc etc.

Quite bored of criticising atheists having a go. I watched a video of Ricky Gervais have some go at a book about Noah's Ark written for children under 10.

Now I see theLwerd have some go at a moral story found in the Bible. You can't serve both God and money because both totally consume you. One is the master, you can't have two masters.

Acknowledge the grammar used. 'But when you give a feast...' and, 'If you would be perfect...' saying when you do these things...follow them through with these things as written, '...invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind...'

And if you are to be perfect, get rid of what you own and give them to the poor. Of course we are not perfect and cannot be, but Jesus Christ was speaking to people who, back then believed that they could make perfection by their works. Christianity does not teach that.

Same goes for Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, lest be judged." Taken out of context so many times it's just silly. The verse is saying this, if you wish to judge, expect judgement back. That's all. Not saying judging others is wrong or just God's job only, but if you are going to judge, make sure you are ready to be judged.

So what about atheism? Once upon a time (well there was no time, but it's easier to relate to by saying time) there was this tiny piece of matter, just floating about. Where it came from, is totally down to any imagination, but hey, lest you don't have to follow up on some old out dated text. Anyway, this piece of matter was just hanging about for God...I mean goodness knows long and then it decided to...hold on, can matter can rash decisions? No. So something caused it, but wait there was nothing before it? So what caused it to do anything? Lets skip that, it exploded and over millions of years, planets arranged themselves and water, by which all life depends upon emerged...somehow. After some more millions of years, non living matter, rock, mud, sand, more rock, became living, yes I did say living, you are reading correctly...living matter. And now millions and millions of years on, I am here typing this, listening to Coldplay and eating Doritos.

I have a problem with that!
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:46:35 PM
...hold on, can matter can rash decisions?

Sorry, if I am going to 'mock' may I do it well.

I was meant to say, "...hold on, can matter MAKE rash decisions?" Or any for that matter...ha! (Not funny).
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 11:57:14 PM
At 12/28/2010 7:18:49 PM, GodSands wrote:
So what about atheism? Once upon a time (well there was no time, but it's easier to relate to by saying time) there was this tiny piece of matter, just floating about. Where it came from, is totally down to any imagination, but hey, lest you don't have to follow up on some old out dated text. Anyway, this piece of matter was just hanging about for God...I mean goodness knows long and then it decided to...hold on, can matter can rash decisions? No. So something caused it, but wait there was nothing before it? So what caused it to do anything? Lets skip that, it exploded and over millions of years, planets arranged themselves and water, by which all life depends upon emerged...somehow. After some more millions of years, non living matter, rock, mud, sand, more rock, became living, yes I did say living, you are reading correctly...living matter. And now millions and millions of years on, I am here typing this, listening to Coldplay and eating Doritos.

I have a problem with that!

I have a problem with this too. It's been what, three years since I've first told you that you know absolutely nothing about evolution, and with this post, you demonstrate that I've been correct for three years.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 1:15:19 AM
Eh, he only mixed up millions with billions, and assumed that water was necessary for all life. He kind of skimmed over the entire evolutionarty process, skipping from lifeless earth to himself eating Doritos.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 1:32:07 AM
At 12/29/2010 1:15:19 AM, mongeese wrote:
Eh, he only mixed up millions with billions, and assumed that water was necessary for all life. He kind of skimmed over the entire evolutionarty process, skipping from lifeless earth to himself eating Doritos.

You're kidding right?

1. The universe began with tiny floating matter >.>
2. Assumption of the Law of Causality.
3. Confusion of millions with billions
4. Erroneous, anthropic assumption about the importance of water
5. Not understanding how planets and water developed.
6. Confusion with millions and billions again
7. Skipping over all appropriate abiogenesis
8. Substituting it with some absurd version involving rocks.
9. Skips over every relevant thing about Natural selection

That last thing really makes up 99.999% of the damage.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 1:40:06 AM
Ah, you mean the entire Big Bang Theory, not just evolution. Gotcha.

He kinda skipped pretty much all justification for his steps. And his summaries were off at points. It was essentially the layman's view of the Big Bang. Which is hardly scientific at all.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 2:23:22 AM
At 12/28/2010 7:18:49 PM, GodSands wrote:

Acknowledge the grammar used. 'But when you give a feast...' and, 'If you would be perfect...' saying when you do these things...follow them through with these things as written, '...invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind...'

And if you are to be perfect, get rid of what you own and give them to the poor. Of course we are not perfect and cannot be, but Jesus Christ was speaking to people who, back then believed that they could make perfection by their works. Christianity does not teach that.

Ok, let me get this straight. Jesus was saying "Don't give all you own to the poor because only someone who's perfect would do that and you should never even try to be perfect because you'd fail." And this was said in response to the question "What more must I do to get into heaven?"

I don't know. This seems like a very silly thing for Jesus to say.

By the way, have you given away all that you own? Or are you just not that sure you can trust God to take care of you?

Same goes for Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, lest be judged." Taken out of context so many times it's just silly. The verse is saying this, if you wish to judge, expect judgement back. That's all. Not saying judging others is wrong or just God's job only, but if you are going to judge, make sure you are ready to be judged.

So when Jesus said "Judge not", He didn't mean "don't judge", He meant "judge, but only if you're without sin, because, if you are not without sin, you're in big trouble", which is nothing like "Judge not".

So what about atheism? ...:

What does atheism have to do with Christian Capitalists?
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 8:39:08 AM
: At 12/29/2010 1:32:07 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 12/29/2010 1:15:19 AM, mongeese wrote:

You're kidding right?

1. The universe began with tiny floating matter >.>
2. Assumption of the Law of Causality.
3. Confusion of millions with billions
4. Erroneous, anthropic assumption about the importance of water
5. Not understanding how planets and water developed.
6. Confusion with millions and billions again
7. Skipping over all appropriate abiogenesis
8. Substituting it with some absurd version involving rocks.
9. Skips over every relevant thing about Natural selection

That last thing really makes up 99.999% of the damage.

Haha, atheism in a nut shell, that was my intention. People do it to Christianity all the time. Why can't I do it to atheism? If I said millions, that could be thousands of millions, couldn't it, which also means billions. But seriously, starting from the beginning, how did the piece of compacted matter explode?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 9:17:31 AM
Here's what's really hilarious -- using the Torah to argue Christianity.

Jesus never condemned making money.

That said, it appears that you're just taking cheap shots at a religious system that is so multifaceted, the generalized way in which you regard it holds almost no meaning whatsoever.

What, exactly, are you condemning? The fact that Christians enlist spirituality to help establish their moral foundation, or that there's a moral foundation in the first place? Are you suggesting that you're of greater moral fiber, that you're absolutely free of hypocrisy?

What's funny is, although those are most, if not all of the possible intentions of your post, every last one of them renders your argument fallacious.

I know being iconoclastic gets you off and wins you points with the supposed rationalists of this site, but you really just sound like an angry little person lashing out at people you assume judge you.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 9:27:16 AM
Wait a minute! That atheist just killed someone!

BAH!

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF ATHEISTS BEING SO HYPOCRITICAL ABOUT MORALITY. THEY CLAIM THAT THEY MAKE SO MUCH MORE SENSE THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND HERE THEY GO, KILLING PEOPLE!!! BLABLABLAMENTALLYRETARDEDBLABLABLA I HATE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME!!! RAWR!

We should burn them all!!! They make me laugh/angry/word bomb!!!!!

>:O!
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 9:28:34 AM
At 12/29/2010 9:27:16 AM, Ren wrote:
Wait a minute! That atheist just killed someone!

BAH!

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF ATHEISTS BEING SO HYPOCRITICAL ABOUT MORALITY. THEY CLAIM THAT THEY MAKE SO MUCH MORE SENSE THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND HERE THEY GO, KILLING PEOPLE!!! BLABLABLAMENTALLYRETARDEDBLABLABLA I HATE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME!!! RAWR!

We should burn them all!!! They make me laugh/angry/word bomb!!!!!

>:O!

Omfg, thank you so much for pointing this out. I don't know how I could have lived on without someone acknowledging this incredibly intuitive and observant description.

Thank you. You are my hero.