Jump to topic:

Is the Pope Out Of Touch?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 1:15:04 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Yesterday Pope Benedict commented on a terrorist attack by a Muslim extremist who slit the throat of a Catholic priest while praying in a Catholic church.
The pope proclaimed that the current violence was over economic and political interests rather than religion. "There is war for money," he said. "There is war for natural resources."
A few months ago the Pope had a dig at Donald Trump by saying:
"Anyone, whoever he is, who only wants to build walls and not bridges is not a Christian,"

And this coming from someone who lives in the Vatican which is completely surrounded by walls and harder than Fort Knox to get in.

Does the Pope really have any rational perspective at all as to what is going on in the real world?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:02:12 PM
At 7/28/2016 1:15:04 PM, Willows wrote:
Yesterday Pope Benedict commented on a terrorist attack by a Muslim extremist who slit the throat of a Catholic priest while praying in a Catholic church.
The pope proclaimed that the current violence was over economic and political interests rather than religion. "There is war for money," he said. "There is war for natural resources."
"Anyone, whoever he is, who only wants to build walls and not bridges is not a Christian,"

And this coming from someone who lives in the Vatican which is completely surrounded by walls and harder than Fort Knox to get in.

Does the Pope really have any rational perspective at all as to what is going on in the real world?

I don't know what sources you are using, Willows, but Benedict retired 2 years ago. Frankie is top dog now.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:04:38 PM

The Vatican resembling Fort Knox is rather ironic.

As far as the question, I would say so. At least to some degree. I don't know much about the pope(s), but I think the current pope is the one who attempted to go out and mingle with the public (riding public transportation, etc.). I could be wrong about that, but I recall reading something to that effect. If that's the case, at least that particular pope must have had some realization about the isolating factor of the Vatican.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:09:15 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:02:12 PM, desmac wrote:

I don't know what sources you are using, Willows, but Benedict retired 2 years ago. Frankie is top dog now.
Actually, Benedict and Frankie are one and the same.

The TV series called Dr. Who is modeled after the regenerating popes.

Just kidding (of course).
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:18:12 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:04:38 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:

As far as the question, I would say so. At least to some degree. I don't know much about the pope(s), but I think the current pope is the one who attempted to go out and mingle with the public (riding public transportation, etc.). I could be wrong about that, but I recall reading something to that effect. If that's the case, at least that particular pope must have had some realization about the isolating factor of the Vatican.

The Catholic church has been chummy with leftist politics for a long time, and this pope more so than previous ones.

I think Jesus was (is!) trying to fix the world by fixing one heart at a time, rather than through politics. The church has quite the record of getting it wrong on politics - lurching from the crusades to appeasement of militant Islam, and from persecuting the real scientist Galileo to endorsing the pseudo-science of Darwin.
This space for rent.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:18:42 PM
At 7/28/2016 2:09:15 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:

I will not respond to any of your posts, Spode, until, you explain the meaning of Eulalie Souers.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:38:49 PM

The guy has made position statements demonstrating himself to be a Marxist anti-Catholic. Any anti-Catholic who makes a claim to the papacy is out of touch. He is not going to be that out of touch about who and what he is and not be out of touch about everyone else.

Yes, he is very out of touch.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 2:46:00 PM

I think he meant Jorge Bergoglio (Francis), the current occupant, to whom those comments are attributable.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 3:05:09 PM

The greatest threat facing humanity, today, is not terrorism, but the organized commercial expression of greed. And I think the pope recognizes this, and is trying to get the world's people to recognize it, as well. So that perhaps we could do something about it before it causes even more human suffering, mystery, and death than it already is.

I believe that the pope is wrong, however, in claiming that religious and political terrorism is the result of greed. In truth, it's the result of an intellectual sea change that has been occurring in the collective human consciousness for the last 500 years, and will likely continue for another few hundred more before it is complete. It is the change from a fundamentally absolutist conceptual universal paradigm, to a fundamentally relativist conceptual universal paradigm. And the clash in not just showing up in religion, but in all aspects of human endeavor.

We are living in very interesting times.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:54:44 AM
At 7/28/2016 2:18:12 PM, v3nesl wrote:

The Catholic church has been chummy with leftist politics for a long time, and this pope more so than previous ones.

I think Jesus was (is!) trying to fix the world by fixing one heart at a time, rather than through politics. The church has quite the record of getting it wrong on politics - lurching from the crusades to appeasement of militant Islam, and from persecuting the real scientist Galileo to endorsing the pseudo-science of Darwin.

Yes, and as you well know, a number of atheist activists have twisted the Galileo persecution incident into Galileo representing a persecuted prototype evolutionist.

As far as the popes, in general, I don't know much about any of their personal lives. In my opinion, and I could be absolutely incorrect about this, I think it's conceivable for some of them to have been authentic believers in Jesus Christ. Maybe not the current one, but I had been told that one of them in the 90's was a spirit-filled Christian which suggests a traditional born-again believer. That could be hearsay, but I do believe there are a number of Christians who have authentic callings into areas that would be considered the fringe elements of society, especially in terms of the evangelical church. Even questioning their calling from other believers. Examples of this would be Bikers for Christ, a bike club consisting of bikers who resemble clubs like the Hells Angels. I had also heard of a night club singer turned Christian (might of been B.J. Thomas, but not sure) who assumed he was to sing conventional Christian songs in a Christian environment, but felt lead to remain singing secular songs, probably in Vegas nightclubs as a light to an otherwise dark area in the eyes of the church. There's also a ministry in Vegas called Hookers For Christ, a ministry of former prostitutes to reach out to prostitutes, call girls, etc. in Vegas. Just their name alone probably ruffles feathers because the name seems to suggest that they are still prostitutes. Maybe they should change their name, but the context of the word "Hookers" is meant to represent a fishing hook, not prostitutes.

This is a rather lengthy post, but my point is that I do see the Vatican as a dark place. And I think there a number of genuine believers placed within the Catholic institution including the Vatican. Possibly some of the popes in the past.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:57:57 AM
At 7/28/2016 2:18:42 PM, desmac wrote:

I will not respond to any of your posts, Spode, until, you explain the meaning of Eulalie Souers.
Well you know how to hit a sensitive nerve.

I had been too embarrassed to respond to this question in the past. And, I think there are more important things to discuss....like the British knee.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:14:43 AM
At 7/29/2016 12:57:57 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 7/28/2016 2:18:42 PM, desmac wrote:

Well you know how to hit a sensitive nerve.

I had been too embarrassed to respond to this question in the past. And, I think there are more important things to discuss....like the British knee.

Wriggle how you will, Sidcup, but your beastly blackshorts will never, never cover the British knee.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:29:53 AM

The poor dears keep crying about the ToE and misnaming but can never produce any science to refute it.
Do they really think that whimpering in the corner will change reality?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:31:26 AM

I would say he's right on the money, especially from a western and middle eastern viewpoint.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 9:59:11 AM

My apologies...you are quite right, I meant Francis.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 11:17:51 AM
At 7/29/2016 12:54:44 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:

Yes, and as you well know, a number of atheist activists have twisted the Galileo persecution incident into Galileo representing a persecuted prototype evolutionist.

As far as the popes, in general, I don't know much about any of their personal lives. In my opinion, and I could be absolutely incorrect about this, I think it's conceivable for some of them to have been authentic believers in Jesus Christ. Maybe not the current one, but I had been told that one of them in the 90's was a spirit-filled Christian which suggests a traditional born-again believer. That could be hearsay, but I do believe there are a number of Christians who have authentic callings into areas that would be considered the fringe elements of society, especially in terms of the evangelical church. Even questioning their calling from other believers. Examples of this would be Bikers for Christ, a bike club consisting of bikers who resemble clubs like the Hells Angels. I had also heard of a night club singer turned Christian (might of been B.J. Thomas, but not sure) who assumed he was to sing conventional Christian songs in a Christian environment, but felt lead to remain singing secular songs, probably in Vegas nightclubs as a light to an otherwise dark area in the eyes of the church. There's also a ministry in Vegas called Hookers For Christ, a ministry of former prostitutes to reach out to prostitutes, call girls, etc. in Vegas. Just their name alone probably ruffles feathers because the name seems to suggest that they are still prostitutes. Maybe they should change their name, but the context of the word "Hookers" is meant to represent a fishing hook, not prostitutes.

This is a rather lengthy post, but my point is that I do see the Vatican as a dark place. And I think there a number of genuine believers placed within the Catholic institution including the Vatican. Possibly some of the popes in the past.

I love that part of the "Sister Act" movie where Whoopi gets the nuns to go visit a bar, and one of the bikers says to his friend "If this turns into a nun bar, I'm outta here".

btw, I have several friends and acquaintances who are in the CMA - Christian Motorcycle Association. They're a scary looking bunch until you read the back of the jackets.
This space for rent.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 11:29:12 AM
At 7/29/2016 11:17:51 AM, v3nesl wrote:

I love that part of the "Sister Act" movie where Whoopi gets the nuns to go visit a bar, and one of the bikers says to his friend "If this turns into a nun bar, I'm outta here".

btw, I have several friends and acquaintances who are in the CMA - Christian Motorcycle Association. They're a scary looking bunch until you read the back of the jackets.

Then you will have reason to be even more scared.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:01:14 PM

Did you see the pope take a tumble today ?
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:01:46 PM
At 7/29/2016 11:29:12 AM, Willows wrote:

Yeah, I know. Our society has become SO sissified that we need government to protect us from somebody that might try to witness to us.
This space for rent.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:19:35 PM
At 7/29/2016 12:01:14 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Did you see the pope take a tumble today ?

That is really symbolic that the world is coming to and end, I saw it and it could not mean anything else, I mean it was no coincidence at all, the world is absolutely coming to an end.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:19:54 PM
At 7/29/2016 1:01:46 PM, v3nesl wrote:

Yeah, I know. Our society has become SO sissified that we need government to protect us from somebody that might try to witness to us.

Bwuahahahahaha.
Protection from stupidity? Well I'll be fcked.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:24:27 PM
At 7/29/2016 1:19:54 PM, bulproof wrote:

Bwuahahahahaha.

You of all people should crave it. Sorry, you just lobbed that one to me, I had to whack it.
This space for rent.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:38:15 PM
At 7/29/2016 1:24:27 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 7/29/2016 1:19:54 PM, bulproof wrote:

Bwuahahahahaha.

You of all people should crave it. Sorry, you just lobbed that one to me, I had to whack it.
Ya missed Martina.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 10:50:14 AM
At 7/29/2016 11:17:51 AM, v3nesl wrote:

LOL! Great movie.
I go to a church that invites a Christian biker/minister to preach on occasion. I was told one Sunday they rolled tarp into the sanctuary, up to the pulpit, allowing this minister to ride up to the pulpit on his cycle.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 2:05:25 PM
At 7/30/2016 10:50:14 AM, RoderickSpode wrote:
I go to a church that invites a Christian biker/minister to preach on occasion. I was told one Sunday they rolled tarp into the sanctuary, up to the pulpit, allowing this minister to ride up to the pulpit on his cycle.

You should invite them to do the music, too, if it's like the CMA around here. Again, as Whoopi would say "We could rock this joint!"
This space for rent.