Jump to topic:

Why are most Gods human-like?

foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 9:30:39 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
When I used to study mythology, we had come across this specific topic, and I had found it interesting. Why do you think most Gods are human-like?
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 9:51:22 AM
At 7/29/2016 9:30:39 AM, foxxhajti wrote:
When I used to study mythology, we had come across this specific topic, and I had found it interesting. Why do you think most Gods are human-like?

They are made in the image of man.
Look at the attributes given to to the hebrew god, he is the ultimate tribal leader.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 10:05:02 AM
At 7/29/2016 9:51:22 AM, bulproof wrote:

They are made in the image of man.
Look at the attributes given to to the hebrew god, he is the ultimate tribal leader.

Most of the time, most religions believe in a god which both has an anthropomorphic appearance, and an anthropomorphic personality. I believe they create these gods to try to distinguish themselves from other animals and make themselves appear as some kind of more dominant animal.

"But if cattle and horses and lions had hands
or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,
horses like horses and cattle like cattle
also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies
of such a sort as the form they themselves have.
Ethiopians say that their gods are snub"nosed and black
Thracians that they are pale and red-haired." - Xenophanes

Xenophanes also claimed the idea that the greatest god resembles man, neither in mind nor in form.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 10:38:47 AM
At 7/29/2016 10:09:43 AM, tarantula wrote:
Humans create gods.

God created man in his image. So you ladies had better stick to cooking and making babies.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:19:56 PM
At 7/29/2016 10:38:47 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/29/2016 10:09:43 AM, tarantula wrote:
Humans create gods.

God created man in his image. So you ladies had better stick to cooking and making babies.

I suggest you wear a flak jacket and helmet, when coming out with a statement like that, LOL!!!!!!!
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 3:22:51 PM

Ego and envy.
We always look for the best attributes to put in to our god creation, whether they be animal or human. But now we have technological attributes that advance the human condition more everyday. Progress is the only thing that moves humankind forward and through evolution and technology, humans will become gods, as no gods exist,.................. yet.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 6:21:07 PM

Or why most men are God-like?

Jehovah is omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal, immutable and omniscient. I would say that is almost the complete opposite of what human-like is.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 6:24:19 PM
At 7/29/2016 6:21:07 PM, ethang5 wrote:

Jehovah is omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal, immutable and omniscient. I would say that is almost the complete opposite of what human-like is.

And yet were some how made in His image.

Hrm. Kink in the hose, to be sure.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 7:40:24 AM
At 7/29/2016 6:24:19 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Not another contradiction?
We may need Deep Thought to add them all up.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:28:58 AM
At 7/30/2016 7:40:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

To be fair, "in His own image" is a widely subjective term, though it would involve tallying up the traits of man and God and making a comparison. The first creations were "sinless", so it could be argued that was how He made man in His image, but that doesn't hold up very well in light of the hosts of angels that are sinless, too. Well, it doesn't make for a convincing argument, at least.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:12:25 PM

If you're comparing men to gods, then you're pretty much implying that god is nothing special, and is just a person like anybody else. You've basically devalued your own god's worth.

PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:31:57 PM

Humans are the highest form of consciousness that we know of. So we don't really have any greater models to use, in our minds, to help us conceptualize "God".

Also, we tend to use the concept of "God" as an 'idealized self'. We tend to endow our gods with the ideals and characteristics that we consider most laudable and desirable, for and in ourselves. Such that our idealized "God" becomes our idealized role model.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:45:34 AM

Yes, we were.

The "kink" is called "Sin". We used to be more in His image.

Now Gentle Reader, observe FJ's comment above. Do you think he agrees or disagrees that Jehovah is "human-like"?

Can't tell can you?

If he does believe Jehovah is "human-like" ( he is an atheists so probably believes that), then He must believe that Omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence are "human-like". But he would deny that.

So then, in what way does he (and other atheists) believe Jehovah is "human-like"?

This is why they bunch "all gods" in observations like this (the OP) They don't want detail, so let's not consider each God on it's own narrative. Just bunch 'em up, and you can throw them all away, as the majority of the bunched gods will be human-like anyway.

And presto! The baby is in the gutter along with the bath water.

Whose that frantically scooping up the bathwater as the baby wails? The atheist. He didn't mean to throw out the bathwater, but there would have been objections had he drained out the water before pitching out the baby. People would have SEEN that he was trowing out the baby.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:57:01 AM
At 7/30/2016 11:28:58 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 7/30/2016 7:40:24 AM, bulproof wrote:

To be fair, "in His own image" is a widely subjective term, though it would involve tallying up the traits of man and God and making a comparison.

Bully doesn't bother with details. They spoil his argument.

The first creations were "sinless", so it could be argued that was how He made man in His image, but that doesn't hold up very well in light of the hosts of angels that are sinless, too.

It cannot be sinlessness. In the Book of Hebrews we see the difference between men and Angels and learn that God does not consider Angels to be His "sons" the way He considers men to be. It is something else.

Well, it doesn't make for a convincing argument, at least.

As usually are the arguments atheists "volunteer" for Christians while pretending they are original Christian arguments.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:59:51 AM
At 7/30/2016 3:12:25 PM, foxxhajti wrote:

If you're comparing men to gods, then you're pretty much implying that god is nothing special, and is just a person like anybody else.

I'll remember that if ever I am about to compare men to Gods. (There is only one God but I get your drift)

You've basically devalued your own god's worth.

It is impossible for the worth of God to be devalued. God's worth is infinite, and infinity cannot be reduced by subtraction.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:01:09 PM
At 7/30/2016 3:31:57 PM, PureX wrote:

Humans are the highest form of consciousness that we know of. So we don't really have any greater models to use, in our minds, to help us conceptualize "God".

Also, we tend to use the concept of "God" as an 'idealized self'. We tend to endow our gods with the ideals and characteristics that we consider most laudable and desirable, for and in ourselves. Such that our idealized "God" becomes our idealized role model.

It would be cool to be eternal.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:30:30 PM

So why isn't Jehovah doing anything about the high rates of suicides among Jehovah's Witnesses or the high levels of mental illness or even the 40,000 pedophiles found among its members?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:37:24 PM
Interesting someone would call the Christian God "Jehovah" when the scholarly consensus is that "Jehovah" is a completely inappropriate rendition.

Must be that trickster, The Holy Spirit.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 5:54:43 PM
At 8/1/2016 12:30:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:

So why isn't Jehovah doing anything about the high rates of suicides among Jehovah's Witnesses or the high levels of mental illness or even the 40,000 pedophiles found among its members?

Ask a Jehovah Witness. I don't even know why He should do anything, much less why He doesn't.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 5:58:00 PM
At 8/1/2016 12:37:24 PM, Omniverse wrote:
Interesting someone would call the Christian God "Jehovah" when the scholarly consensus is that "Jehovah" is a completely inappropriate rendition.

Must be that trickster, The Holy Spirit.

Yes, God should get in step with those scholars forthwith. Who does He think He is? I mean, they are scholars for cryin out loud!

liberalthink - human consensus = reality.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:05:03 PM
At 8/1/2016 11:59:51 AM, ethang5 wrote:
I'll remember that if ever I am about to compare men to Gods. (There is only one God but I get your drift)
You don't get out much? There are thousands.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 6:14:07 PM
One just has to appreciate Ethan's thorough rebuttal.
I do hope the bible scholars read this forum and are taking notes.

Besides being an expert on quantum mechanics, though he's still struggling with the nature of EM radiation, besides being an expert on abiogenesis, Ethan is also a world-renowned expert on Ancient Hebrew.

Ethan has some one-on-one time with the Holy Spirit where he is told things God conceals from the experts and others believers, given that most Christian denomination also shy away from "Jehovah" and favour alternatives such as "Yahweh".

Ahhh....so endearing.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 11:09:42 AM

To be fair, "in His own image" is a widely subjective term, though it would involve tallying up the traits of man and God and making a comparison.

The first creations were "sinless", so it could be argued that was how He made man in His image, but that doesn't hold up very well in light of the hosts of angels that are sinless, too.

It cannot be sinlessness. In the Book of Hebrews we see the difference between men and Angels and learn that God does not consider Angels to be His "sons" the way He considers men to be. It is something else.

So? We are comparing 'in His image', not whom He considers sons or daughters or what have not.

As usually are the arguments atheists "volunteer" for Christians while pretending they are original Christian arguments.

The entire reason why I suggested that one is because I have a friend whom argued that exact line whom is indeed Christian when the subject came up between him and I.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 11:14:57 AM
At 8/1/2016 11:45:34 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Yes, we were.

The "kink" is called "Sin". We used to be more in His image.

Now Gentle Reader, observe FJ's comment above. Do you think he agrees or disagrees that Jehovah is "human-like"?

Can't tell can you?

I think the gentle reader is a bit smarter than you in this instance, then.

If he does believe Jehovah is "human-like" ( he is an atheists so probably believes that), then He must believe that Omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence are "human-like". But he would deny that.

Notice, again, gentle reader, the speculation of some one else's thoughts, and the fact it was ran with, regardless of veracity.

So then, in what way does he (and other atheists) believe Jehovah is "human-like"?

Ah, the real question. Finally.

I can't think of any way to find them "alike" in any way, really. Hence the question, when God made man in "His image", what exactly does this refer to?

This is why they bunch "all gods" in observations like this (the OP) They don't want detail, so let's not consider each God on it's own narrative. Just bunch 'em up, and you can throw them all away, as the majority of the bunched gods will be human-like anyway.

And presto! The baby is in the gutter along with the bath water.

Whose that frantically scooping up the bathwater as the baby wails? The atheist.

Clearly. Because the first question posed on behalf of atheists, Ethan gets wrong.

Oops.

He didn't mean to throw out the bathwater, but there would have been objections had he drained out the water before pitching out the baby. People would have SEEN that he was trowing out the baby.

And you claim atheists argue things unoriginally.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 3:06:04 PM
At 8/1/2016 5:54:43 PM, ethang5 wrote:
At 8/1/2016 12:30:30 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Ask a Jehovah Witness. I don't even know why He should do anything, much less why He doesn't.

That is the same problem besetting the JW leaders who finally admitted they are not inspired by God or guided by any angelic revelations. They don't know why their members are mostly mentally ill and many are committing suicide and why pedophilliacs have doubled to 40,000.

Are you here because you have been disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW? Do you distribute Watchtower pamphlets?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:13:02 AM
At 8/1/2016 6:05:03 PM, bulproof wrote:

Then you are a lunatic for being an atheist.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:24:21 AM
At 8/3/2016 8:13:02 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 8/1/2016 6:05:03 PM, bulproof wrote:

Then you are a lunatic for being an atheist.
What razor like repartee.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 12:16:15 PM
At 8/2/2016 11:09:42 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

So? We are comparing 'in His image', not whom He considers sons or daughters or what have not.

No Sir, we are comparing "sinlessness" right now. You said, "that doesn't hold up very well in light of the hosts of angels that are sinless, too." The angels may be sinless, but they weren't made in His image. So your contention doesn't hold up.

As usually are the arguments atheists "volunteer" for Christians while pretending they are original Christian arguments. Angels are not made in the image of God the way men are.

The entire reason why I suggested that one is because I have a friend whom argued that exact line whom is indeed Christian when the subject came up between him and I.

Of course. The atheist is always ready to argue "what some Christian says" but never what the Bible says. Wonder why?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 12:31:15 PM
At 8/3/2016 12:16:15 PM, ethang5 wrote:
As usually are the arguments atheists "volunteer" for Christians while pretending they are original Christian arguments. Angels are not made in the image of God the way men are.
And you have "scripture" (lol) that supports this claim? Oh do produce it so that we all might bathe in your "scriptural" (lol) knowledge.