Total Posts:368|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Athiests

TheLaw
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

Firstly, I notice Athiests always seem to have some sort of hate or loathing towards certain religions and it's followers. I myself am a Christian and especially on this website I've seen several anti-Christianity comments and remakrs directed at the actual religion or its followers. Wouldn't it be easy to just ignore the religions if you're an Athiest? Athiests I would respect are those that don't care or respect my beliefs. However, I want to know your reasoning on why many Athiests are always attacking religions or saying negative comments.

Secondly, I want to know the motive. I always ask this question but I'm never satisfied with the answer. What is your motive in being Athiest, what drives you? I know at least once you wanted to think about the Afterlife and you wonder what it's going to be like.

Finally, what's your reasons for not believing in a religion. Is it just laziness for not wanting to go to Church every Sunday? Is it because you want to study alternatives to Creationism? Is it simply because you don't want to?

Well yeah, that's all. Just a few questions I have for Athiests and I would appreciate some responses.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 7:08:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

Firstly, I notice Athiests always seem to have some sort of hate or loathing towards certain religions and it's followers. I myself am a Christian and especially on this website I've seen several anti-Christianity comments and remakrs directed at the actual religion or its followers. Wouldn't it be easy to just ignore the religions if you're an Athiest? Athiests I would respect are those that don't care or respect my beliefs. However, I want to know your reasoning on why many Athiests are always attacking religions or saying negative comments.

because religions are always attacking people and talking complete and utter shite and we're sick of it!

Secondly, I want to know the motive. I always ask this question but I'm never satisfied with the answer. What is your motive in being Athiest, what drives you? I know at least once you wanted to think about the Afterlife and you wonder what it's going to be like.

i enjoy being happy?

Finally, what's your reasons for not believing in a religion. Is it just laziness for not wanting to go to Church every Sunday? Is it because you want to study alternatives to Creationism? Is it simply because you don't want to?

because they're all clearly bullsh1t.


Well yeah, that's all. Just a few questions I have for Athiests and I would appreciate some responses.
signature
TheLaw
Posts: 70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 7:29:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
These are the type of Athiests I don't respect. Your answers have a lack of depth and substance and I'm not satisfied with them. From my first question you respond with saying that it's because Christians or any other religion attacks Athiests. What do you mean by attack? Next you say you're happy, that's why you're an Athiest. But can't you find happiness in a religion? I know I'm happy. Finally, you base your last response with a general conclusion. However, how many religions have you actually studied. How many have you actually looked through carefully before decided on not believing in it. Please name me one.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 9:57:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 7:29:52 PM, TheLaw wrote:
These are the type of Athiests I don't respect.

who? me?

Your answers have a lack of depth and substance and I'm not satisfied with them.

i'll try again bud :)

From my first question you respond with saying that it's because Christians or any other religion attacks Athiests.

never said anything about athiests.

What do you mean by attack?

same thing you do.

Next you say you're happy, that's why you're an Athiest.

should've been clearer. when you say "motive" you make it sound as if i have a choice. i'm not an athiest because it makes me happy. i'm an athiest because that's what i believe. simple as that. but happiness drives me.

But can't you find happiness in a religion?

depends on the religion. alcoholism?

I know I'm happy.

you don't seem too happy. why're you giving out?

Finally, you base your last response with a general conclusion. However, how many religions have you actually studied. How many have you actually looked through carefully before decided on not believing in it. Please name me one.

nope, not one, nor will i. what's the point? stories aren't evidence, just stories.
signature
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:23:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
@The law(I guess Christian fundamentalist law)
My problem with religion is that it interferes with my everyday life, and that's unconstitutional. I'm tired of politicians spouting religious fundamentalist law in my face. It's illegal for heaven's sake! They are allowing Sharia law to be practiced in free democratic countries in Europe. Also, you should know that creationism is not a valid scientific theory. It is a farce in the eyes of all the most intelligent people in the world. When Badger is talking about religions killing, he is talking about religions fighting each other. Christians against Islam, Islam against Jew, Jew against Islam, Islam against Christian. Enough is enough. You all are killing millions around the globe in the name of a few BOOKS. Books written by men. It's immoral, it's wrong, and it's unacceptable.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:26:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 10:23:44 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
@The law(I guess Christian fundamentalist law)
My problem with religion is that it interferes with my everyday life, and that's unconstitutional. I'm tired of politicians spouting religious fundamentalist law in my face. It's illegal for heaven's sake! They are allowing Sharia law to be practiced in free democratic countries in Europe. Also, you should know that creationism is not a valid scientific theory. It is a farce in the eyes of all the most intelligent people in the world. When Badger is talking about religions killing, he is talking about religions fighting each other. Christians against Islam, Islam against Jew, Jew against Islam, Islam against Christian. Enough is enough. You all are killing millions around the globe in the name of a few BOOKS. Books written by men. It's immoral, it's wrong, and it's unacceptable.

I like the word farce. Anyone who uses that word I respect. I use it a lot.
kfc
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also, most people who spout their religious mumbo jumbo have never even read a damn bible. That's lazy, and ignorant. Also anyone who supports creationism and does not understand evolution should be booed. I ask if the TheLaw understands anything about evolution, and how you intend to refute the most intelligent minds on Earth.
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:29:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 10:26:56 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 12/29/2010 10:23:44 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
@The law(I guess Christian fundamentalist law)
My problem with religion is that it interferes with my everyday life, and that's unconstitutional. I'm tired of politicians spouting religious fundamentalist law in my face. It's illegal for heaven's sake! They are allowing Sharia law to be practiced in free democratic countries in Europe. Also, you should know that creationism is not a valid scientific theory. It is a farce in the eyes of all the most intelligent people in the world. When Badger is talking about religions killing, he is talking about religions fighting each other. Christians against Islam, Islam against Jew, Jew against Islam, Islam against Christian. Enough is enough. You all are killing millions around the globe in the name of a few BOOKS. Books written by men. It's immoral, it's wrong, and it's unacceptable.

I like the word farce. Anyone who uses that word I respect. I use it a lot.

KFC
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:48:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

Firstly, I notice Athiests always seem to have some sort of hate or loathing towards certain religions and it's followers. I myself am a Christian and especially on this website I've seen several anti-Christianity comments and remakrs directed at the actual religion or its followers. Wouldn't it be easy to just ignore the religions if you're an Athiest? Athiests I would respect are those that don't care or respect my beliefs. However, I want to know your reasoning on why many Athiests are always attacking religions or saying negative comments.

That's a horrible observation. This is a debate website, it's where people usually come to criticize others.

Secondly, I want to know the motive. I always ask this question but I'm never satisfied with the answer. What is your motive in being Athiest, what drives you? I know at least once you wanted to think about the Afterlife and you wonder what it's going to be like.

Not quite sure what you mean. But I don't regularly think about an after-life, nor do I wish for one--I hardly concern myself with tomorrow.

Finally, what's your reasons for not believing in a religion. Is it just laziness for not wanting to go to Church every Sunday? Is it because you want to study alternatives to Creationism? Is it simply because you don't want to?

I actually attend church services multiple times every week. I'm non-religious because I simply see religion is irrational.


Well yeah, that's all. Just a few questions I have for Athiests and I would appreciate some responses.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:50:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

Alright, let's see...

Firstly, I notice Athiests always seem to have some sort of hate or loathing towards certain religions and it's followers.

False. I have no hatred towards religion. I have been confronted with certain theists who I have had no liking for but I have also hated some atheists. It's what you DO with your religious beliefs which creates hostility -- rarely the religion itself.

I myself am a Christian and especially on this website I've seen several anti-Christianity comments and remakrs directed at the actual religion or its followers.

Many users will make overgeneralizations -- as you did above.

Wouldn't it be easy to just ignore the religions if you're an Athiest?

Religion affects those who are religious AND atheists.

Athiests I would respect are those that don't care or respect my beliefs. However, I want to know your reasoning on why many Athiests are always attacking religions or saying negative comments.

First of all, this is a debate site so ALL will be attacked.

Secondly, atheists may say negative comments when discussing religion as will theists -- it is dependent on the conversation.

Secondly, I want to know the motive. I always ask this question but I'm never satisfied with the answer. What is your motive in being Athiest, what drives you?

I'm driven by logic and my own desires.

I know at least once you wanted to think about the Afterlife and you wonder what it's going to be like.

I'm going to decompose -- there's nothing else I really need to know since I'll be dead. What happens after my heart stops is not my concern.

Finally, what's your reasons for not believing in a religion.

I have found no logical justification for the existence of a deity. And see no reason for believing in "religions" without a deity (like Buddhism).

Is it just laziness for not wanting to go to Church every Sunday?

No.

Is it because you want to study alternatives to Creationism?

I could do so as a theist.

Is it simply because you don't want to?

I won't because of aforementioned reasons.

Well yeah, that's all. Just a few questions I have for Athiests and I would appreciate some responses.

There you go.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:26:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

My views on religion are somewhere in between Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Robert Wright.

It's a man made (and male made) thing that can be used for good or bad. As far as faith itself is concerned, I'm of the conviction that it's immoral to believe in propositions without sufficient reason.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:30:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:26:35 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

My views on religion are somewhere in between Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Robert Wright.

It's a man made (and male made) thing that can be used for good or bad. As far as faith itself is concerned, I'm of the conviction that it's immoral to believe in propositions without sufficient reason.

huh? what about unreasonable? ;)
signature
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:31:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:26:35 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

My views on religion are somewhere in between Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Robert Wright.

It's a man made (and male made) thing that can be used for good or bad. As far as faith itself is concerned, I'm of the conviction that it's immoral to believe in propositions without sufficient reason.

Why? Irrational, sure. And it could be immoral to act on those propositions, depending on what they are. But I don't see how merely believing in something without a good reason could be immoral.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
wamba
Posts: 688
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:33:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Most atheists are atheists because something terrible happened in their past that changed their view on God and now they for some reason enjoy wasting as much time with nonreligion as they claim that people who are in religion waste. Most hardline atheists claim: "you are wasting your life believing in that stuff" but most atheists fill the hole of not attending church and worshiping god with convincing others to become atheists or bitching/making fun of religion in genera.

Agnostics are people who basically apathetic about the entire issue and don't give a crap.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:38:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:33:03 PM, wamba wrote:
Most atheists are atheists because something terrible happened in their past that changed their view on God a

why do you say this... I've never heard that used as a reason...

and I know that's not why I'm an atheist.

and now they for some reason enjoy wasting as much time with nonreligion as they claim that people who are in religion waste. Most hardline atheists claim: "you are wasting your life believing in that stuff" but most atheists fill the hole of not attending church and worshiping god with convincing others to become atheists or bitching/making fun of religion in genera.

Agnostics are people who basically apathetic about the entire issue and don't give a crap.

agnostics are people who say they don't have enough/the right kind of info to make such judgments...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:42:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:38:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:33:03 PM, wamba wrote:
Most atheists are atheists because something terrible happened in their past that changed their view on God a

why do you say this... I've never heard that used as a reason...

and I know that's not why I'm an atheist.

more like... I was wondering about god sending folks of other religions to hell...

and got to thinking how one would know that their religion was wrong and Mine right...

and couldn't think of any reason..

was Martin Luther Really wrong???...

etc.. etc... and there were no good Definitive answers...

and of course such questioning led to the Divinity of Jesus... and Existence of God himself..

and there was STILL no good support...

so, after gradually coming to realize that there was no Reason to believe in God... I all of a sudden Realized that I no longer believed in god.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:48:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:42:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
so, after gradually coming to realize that there was no Reason to believe in God... I all of a sudden Realized that I no longer believed in god.

a rather awkward position for a young altar-server to be in :/
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:50:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:48:22 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:42:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
so, after gradually coming to realize that there was no Reason to believe in God... I all of a sudden Realized that I no longer believed in god.

a rather awkward position for a young altar-server to be in :/

started to have new found feelings about the cock in your arse?
signature
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:50:37 PM, badger wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:48:22 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:42:41 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
so, after gradually coming to realize that there was no Reason to believe in God... I all of a sudden Realized that I no longer believed in god.

a rather awkward position for a young altar-server to be in :/

started to have new found feelings about the cock in your arse?

luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:55:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.

and this was AFTER my atheism came about...

so it can't have been that "awful"... Disillusioning.. thing which happened in my past... arite Wamba..
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:00:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:55:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.

and this was AFTER my atheism came about...

so it can't have been that "awful"... Disillusioning.. thing which happened in my past... arite Wamba..

you're sure you've never had a cock in your arse?
signature
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:02:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/30/2010 12:00:26 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:55:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.

and this was AFTER my atheism came about...

so it can't have been that "awful"... Disillusioning.. thing which happened in my past... arite Wamba..

you're sure you've never had a cock in your arse?

shut up ya jackass!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
wamba
Posts: 688
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:02:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:55:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.

and this was AFTER my atheism came about...

so it can't have been that "awful"... Disillusioning.. thing which happened in my past... arite Wamba..

Not everyone goes through it, i'm just saying a good bit of people. Close family member dies, etc. Sort of a "how can god let this happen" sort of thing.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:04:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/30/2010 12:02:13 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/30/2010 12:00:26 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:55:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:53:18 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
luckily the only scandal any of my local priests caused was stealing from the donation money.

and this was AFTER my atheism came about...

so it can't have been that "awful"... Disillusioning.. thing which happened in my past... arite Wamba..

you're sure you've never had a cock in your arse?

shut up ya jackass!

i was only trying to help :)
signature
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:06:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/30/2010 12:04:30 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/30/2010 12:02:13 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
shut up ya jackass!

i was only trying to help :)

you're a jackass: http://www.debate.org...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
darceem
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:07:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. Just as easy as it should be for you to ignore Atheists I suppose.

2. Reason makes the mind more at peace than belief in a giant man in the sky who makes an earthquake whenever he's bored.

3. Your second and third points are remarkably similar. See point 2.

The above comments are not necessarily reflective of all atheists by of just me. And I am a humanitarian deist, not an atheist.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 12:16:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/29/2010 11:31:15 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 12/29/2010 11:26:35 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 12/29/2010 6:35:58 PM, TheLaw wrote:
Well, this topic is basically about several questions I have for Athiests and a few statements I have for some observations I've been making.

My views on religion are somewhere in between Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris and Robert Wright.

It's a man made (and male made) thing that can be used for good or bad. As far as faith itself is concerned, I'm of the conviction that it's immoral to believe in propositions without sufficient reason.

Why? Irrational, sure. And it could be immoral to act on those propositions, depending on what they are. But I don't see how merely believing in something without a good reason could be immoral.

People will eventually act on their beliefs. In some sense, the two are inseparable. That's the problem.

Here's an excellent essay about this by William K. Clifford.

http://myweb.lmu.edu...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright