Jump to topic:

Immortal

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 11:20:11 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
'Never die' means going on for billions and bilions of years, even beyond the heat death of the cosmos and then having to do it all over again. And again. an infinite number of times. Its a terrifying prospect.

If there is no get out clause then I'd have to consider the above. But I'll admit - I'd probably chicken out and take immortality if it was offered to me. But it isn't something I worry about.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:34:32 AM
At 7/31/2016 11:20:11 PM, keithprosser wrote:
'Never die' means going on for billions and bilions of years, even beyond the heat death of the cosmos and then having to do it all over again. And again. an infinite number of times. Its a terrifying prospect.

If there is no get out clause then I'd have to consider the above. But I'll admit - I'd probably chicken out and take immortality if it was offered to me. But it isn't something I worry about.

Unfortunately it is something i worry about. Im a weirdo i guess.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:48:22 AM
At 7/31/2016 9:49:39 PM, janesix wrote:
Would you want to be immortal, and know you could never die?

In a healthy indestructible body (or artificial alternative) or an increasingly decrepit one?

If the former, sure, why not?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:54:30 AM
I doubt you're all that weird! Anyway, what do you mean? You think about dying or you think about becoming immortal? I occasionally think about dying (I think everyone does occasionally), but hardly ever about immortality.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 12:55:04 AM
At 8/1/2016 12:48:22 AM, dee-em wrote:

In a healthy indestructible body (or artificial alternative) or an increasingly decrepit one?

Wouldnt you eventually get bored after billions of years?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:04:56 AM

It's the sheer scale of 'forever' that worries me. Take a billion billlion years. Multiply it by a billion billion. Do that and you haven't even scratched 'forever'.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:08:52 AM
At 8/1/2016 12:54:30 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I doubt you're all that weird! Anyway, what do you mean? You think about dying or you think about becoming immortal? I occasionally think about dying (I think everyone does occasionally), but hardly ever about immortality.
No i suspect i am immortal and the only one who exists. Everything else is just my imagination.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:14:11 AM
At 8/1/2016 12:55:04 AM, janesix wrote:

Wouldnt you eventually get bored after billions of years?

It's far more boring to be dead. Nothing much happens then.

I'm sure that an immortal indestructible being could find projects to keep them going. How about being a god to creatures on some backward planet? :-)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:17:09 AM
At 8/1/2016 1:04:56 AM, keithprosser wrote:

It's the sheer scale of 'forever' that worries me. Take a billion billlion years. Multiply it by a billion billion. Do that and you haven't even scratched 'forever'.

Sounds great to me!

However, I think by 'forever' Jane means 'for the functional life of the universe'.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:25:22 AM
At 8/1/2016 1:08:52 AM, janesix wrote:
At 8/1/2016 12:54:30 AM, keithprosser wrote:
No i suspect i am immortal and the only one who exists. Everything else is just my imagination.

I don't think I am a figment of your imagination, but if I am could you start imagining me with hair? I'd appreciate it!
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 1:29:12 AM
At 8/1/2016 1:17:09 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/1/2016 1:04:56 AM, keithprosser wrote:

Sounds great to me!

However, I think by 'forever' Jane means 'for the functional life of the universe'.

Making assumptions like that is how these immortality-granters catches you out! Careful what you wish for, my lad!
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 3:06:42 AM

Depends. I would never want to be one identity (or character since we can debate identity) stuck in one reality forever. If there is a way to die... i would be down. But, since there is no way to die... by its definition - i would only if there would be a way to escape. This is a deep question that gets me thinking about life. What is a human life to immortality other than a fleeting moment? Within this question i can see the viability of an immortal intelligence (correlated to our own type of intelligence). If it were us, and we would be able to escape immortality for a short moment... This i can generalize and say everyone would eventually do it. If we could control it, in an immaterial immortal self, we would eventually manifest into a mortal reality to live an experience. I would imagine, no matter the escape, it would still be valuable to an immortal intelligence not able to escape. However, if infinite means void of this time, matter, or space... and, void of material (just a thought)... mass and mortality seem like an intelligent creation with the purpose to just live.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 3:31:15 AM

Nah, but I would be happy with several centuries of life. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 2:36:01 PM

Absolutely. Just call me Wolverine.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 2:47:04 PM

Hell no. Some thoughts, though:

1. Living beyond the inevitable heat-death of the universe would be unfathomably abysmal. Our minds are not compatible with such a time-scale.

2. Our brains have a limit to the amount of information that can hold, so we would conceivably be able to cycle though experiences, relearn skill, etc. after forgetting them.

3. What about perfect health? A good deal of human pleasure is derived from satisfying physical desires (e.g. eating, drinking), which would be rendered unnecessary if one's health was guaranteed to be perfect. Pursuits that we undertake are fueled by desires to maintain or achieve well-being, so they become redundant.

4. With the strong sense of empathy I possess, I would not want to witness the suffering of others until the end of life. Heck, it's already kicking my a$$ at the moment. :(