Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 8:13:04 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/1/2016 7:12:57 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

say "subhanallah" (paise be to God) dont say "what an amazing coincidence"

LOL

If you look long enough, you will find lots of 'coincidences'. It is a statistical prediction that some numbers of unrelated things will match eventually.

If Saturn and Jupiter were the same size, you would claim it was proof that God exists. Since they are not the same size, is it proof that God does not exist?

Classic confirmation bias.

If I find a bush that is exactly the same height as me, is it a coincidence or a sign from god? (of course, we would ignore all the bushes that are different heights)

BTW, the moon's orbit size is growing over time so this is a temporary anomaly.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:13:50 PM
At 8/1/2016 8:13:04 PM, matt8800 wrote:

LOL

If you look long enough, you will find lots of 'coincidences'. It is a statistical prediction that some numbers of unrelated things will match eventually.

If Saturn and Jupiter were the same size, you would claim it was proof that God exists. Since they are not the same size, is it proof that God does not exist?

If I find a bush that is exactly the same height as me, is it a coincidence or a sign from god? (of course, we would ignore all the bushes that are different heights)

I have a love hate relationship with confirmation bias... when does it pass this, when is it just too much coincidence for one person. I asked a relative i talk to about these things the other day, "why do spiritual things keep happening to me?" He said, "that's a good question." Just that made me think, am i falling into confirmation bias... only paying attention to the things that happen and not to the things that don't? Actually, no... it is trippier than that for me. For instance, i will go days or months without anything happening, but when it does... i always seem to predict it, or it just happens. All of the other time, i am still thinking about spirituality, however, nothing happens bc there isn't anything to happen...

For example, the other day at work a coworker told me something is going to happen in the sky. She just felt it. I said, okay... got on Google, and looked up everything that can happen... Eclipse is scheduled for next year, not meteor showers, not even fireworks from Disneyland. I told her, you are wrong... i told her, there is nothing that will happen. I think it offended her a little... i doubted bc of proof. What do you know... the next day. Headlines read: "A spectacular show in the sky all across the West Cali, up to Washington; space debris." This falls under my weak spiritual experiences bc it wasn't me that did it. I have many weak experiences up to strong experiences that would rattle minds. Of course this could be coincidence and most likely is... But, shizzy, why do these things keep happening to me? Btw, most experiences have happened bc i doubted it... those are the most mind boggling. They keep happening to me, and it isn't like it happens all the time, or that i try to make it happen. It actually is every time i doubt it, something happens. It is almost like, "hey you are paying attention now." Idk, it is hard to think confirmation bias with someone that understands the definition, yet gets experiences that snake their way around CB.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 10:09:17 AM
At 8/1/2016 11:13:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:

LOL

I have a love hate relationship with confirmation bias... when does it pass this, when is it just too much coincidence for one person. I asked a relative i talk to about these things the other day, "why do spiritual things keep happening to me?" He said, "that's a good question." Just that made me think, am i falling into confirmation bias... only paying attention to the things that happen and not to the things that don't? Actually, no... it is trippier than that for me. For instance, i will go days or months without anything happening, but when it does... i always seem to predict it, or it just happens. All of the other time, i am still thinking about spirituality, however, nothing happens bc there isn't anything to happen...

For example, the other day at work a coworker told me something is going to happen in the sky. She just felt it. I said, okay... got on Google, and looked up everything that can happen... Eclipse is scheduled for next year, not meteor showers, not even fireworks from Disneyland. I told her, you are wrong... i told her, there is nothing that will happen. I think it offended her a little... i doubted bc of proof. What do you know... the next day. Headlines read: "A spectacular show in the sky all across the West Cali, up to Washington; space debris." This falls under my weak spiritual experiences bc it wasn't me that did it. I have many weak experiences up to strong experiences that would rattle minds. Of course this could be coincidence and most likely is... But, shizzy, why do these things keep happening to me? Btw, most experiences have happened bc i doubted it... those are the most mind boggling. They keep happening to me, and it isn't like it happens all the time, or that i try to make it happen. It actually is every time i doubt it, something happens. It is almost like, "hey you are paying attention now." Idk, it is hard to think confirmation bias with someone that understands the definition, yet gets experiences that snake their way around CB.

There is quite a logical explanation for all of this.
You are deluded.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:18:49 PM
At 8/2/2016 10:09:17 AM, Willows wrote:

LOL

You are deluded.

Did you not realize i also said there is a likely explanation as well... but, also gave an explanation how i feel coincidence is a little much with this deluded sob, "overall"? Plus, what is your explanation... i am curious how you would explain this.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:31:23 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:18:49 PM, Outplayz wrote:

LOL

You are deluded.

Did you not realize i also said there is a likely explanation as well... but, also gave an explanation how i feel coincidence is a little much with this deluded sob, "overall"? Plus, what is your explanation... i am curious how you would explain this.

"Something happening in the sky".

How vague do you need to be to even qualify for a coincidence? Rain happens in the sky. Would that have qualified? How about a tornado?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
BJH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:40:26 PM

LOL : :

What's even more amazing is how he could get all his characters believing that the sun, moon and earth are real objects whirling around in space. LOL !!!!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:48:01 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:40:26 PM, BJH wrote:

What's even more amazing is how he could get all his characters believing that the sun, moon and earth are real objects whirling around in space. LOL !!!!

Whirling.............woooohoooooooo, ya gotta love the ignorant.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
BJH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 6:04:04 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:48:01 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/2/2016 5:40:26 PM, BJH wrote:

Whirling.............woooohoooooooo, ya gotta love the ignorant. : :

Yes. I love you even though you're ignorant to how you came into being.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 6:34:45 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:31:23 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

LOL

You are deluded.

"Something happening in the sky".

How vague do you need to be to even qualify for a coincidence? Rain happens in the sky. Would that have qualified? How about a tornado?

No, rain could not have happened, or a tornado... both would have been weird (rain less, but still weird). Plus, i wouldn't have taken rain as how she said it. When i looked up everything "spectacular" that could have happened... it was only really an eclipse or a meteor shower. When i said none of that is going to happen, she said just wait and see. It will be something "spectacular in the sky"... that is why it was weird and not as vague as i originally wrote... sorry, i am not editing nor reading back... i am at work and type this out real fast...so, i can't fact check my own words, but thanks for making that clear.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 9:57:01 AM

LOL

You are deluded.

I predict that tomorrow a piano will drop on your head.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 5:22:55 PM
At 8/1/2016 7:54:20 PM, janesix wrote:

LOL
Not a coincidence.

that was easy
Never fart near dog
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 5:28:33 PM
At 8/3/2016 9:57:01 AM, Willows wrote:

LOL

You are deluded.

This would've been relevant if i still ran a music study... but... you're wrong. That didn't really demonstrate anything. My question here isn't as much as what the person predicted, more so to the why i get so many coincidences that happen in life. When do they go past mere chance is what i was trying to stress that was on my mind... in addition, when do they go into the realm of "no answers" or how do you spot or know it happened that way.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 5:28:50 PM

LOL

lol its not the same analogy as u trying to show... the thing is despite the distance they fit together. well u can claim its a coincidence but other ppl wont, like the begining of the universe. theists r not stupid (well some of them..) they have a reason why they beleive in God not what Richard Dawkins trying to say where beliveing in God is the same thing as believing in unicorns behind Mars somewhere.

eventually everything going to be doomed anyway
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 5:30:39 PM
At 8/1/2016 7:39:19 PM, Omniverse wrote:
An eclipse is "an enigma of science"?!

Maybe in places like Iran it is.

its in USA i think :@
Never fart near dog
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 5:41:17 PM
At 8/3/2016 5:28:50 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

LOL

lol its not the same analogy as u trying to show... the thing is despite the distance they fit together. well u can claim its a coincidence but other ppl wont, like the begining of the universe. theists r not stupid (well some of them..) they have a reason why they beleive in God not what Richard Dawkins trying to say where beliveing in God is the same thing as believing in unicorns behind Mars somewhere.

Yes, but the only good arguments for a god only argue for a deist god. There are no connections with cosmological arguments, etc and an argument for a interventionist god that dictates who should have sex when and how.

I don't argue against the deistic 'consciousness' idea; just the idea of divine revelation claimed by 'special' people.

eventually everything going to be doomed anyway

Either we will kill ourselves or the sun will engulf us.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 5:56:28 AM
At 8/3/2016 5:28:33 PM, Outplayz wrote:

LOL

You are deluded.

This would've been relevant if i still ran a music study... but... you're wrong. That didn't really demonstrate anything. My question here isn't as much as what the person predicted, more so to the why i get so many coincidences that happen in life. When do they go past mere chance is what i was trying to stress that was on my mind... in addition, when do they go into the realm of "no answers" or how do you spot or know it happened that way.

OK, one day you will walk down the street and quite by coincidence a piano will drop from the sky.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 5:31:02 PM
At 8/4/2016 5:56:28 AM, Willows wrote:

OK, one day you will walk down the street and quite by coincidence a piano will drop from the sky.

That's better i guess, but you have missed the point of what i am saying. Even if you would have said, today i will wake up and drop something... or even more specific, i would drop my toothbrush, i wouldn't take that as weird. Also, taken it as weird, doesn't mean i would take something as spiritual or supernatural. What the person told me mattered bc when she said it... the only thing that would have surprised me is something i knew won't happen. To me, it could have only been a meteor shower or eclipse, both in which i researched and found weren't happening... then confidently, i threw it back in her face... in which, exactly what i was thinking as a "spectacular thing in the sky" happened the next day. That follows more than just "sometime in the future you will kiss a girl with purple and pink hair." That wouldn't be surprising or anything. Yet... if you would say, "sometime in the future i will kiss a girl with purple hair and notice a tattoo behind her neck that means something to me..." i would def. think of that as an experience. Basically bc there is more than one coincidence that needs to happen. Finding this girl, purple hair, tattoo behind her neck, and having meaning. In this case, it was hearing this from the person, researching "spectacular" things that could happen in a day, in a day something spectacular happening that i was thinking of. That is less coincidence, which is why i said this is a weak experience, however, still trippy imho.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 10:08:23 AM
At 8/4/2016 5:31:02 PM, Outplayz wrote:

That's better i guess, but you have missed the point of what i am saying. Even if you would have said, today i will wake up and drop something... or even more specific, i would drop my toothbrush, i wouldn't take that as weird. Also, taken it as weird, doesn't mean i would take something as spiritual or supernatural. What the person told me mattered bc when she said it... the only thing that would have surprised me is something i knew won't happen. To me, it could have only been a meteor shower or eclipse, both in which i researched and found weren't happening... then confidently, i threw it back in her face... in which, exactly what i was thinking as a "spectacular thing in the sky" happened the next day. That follows more than just "sometime in the future you will kiss a girl with purple and pink hair." That wouldn't be surprising or anything. Yet... if you would say, "sometime in the future i will kiss a girl with purple hair and notice a tattoo behind her neck that means something to me..." i would def. think of that as an experience. Basically bc there is more than one coincidence that needs to happen. Finding this girl, purple hair, tattoo behind her neck, and having meaning. In this case, it was hearing this from the person, researching "spectacular" things that could happen in a day, in a day something spectacular happening that i was thinking of. That is less coincidence, which is why i said this is a weak experience, however, still trippy imho.

I still think you have a tendency to read into things, not that I am saying it is bad or wrong, so long as you don't let it get the best of you.
Just watch out that others don't take advantage of you though, it happens.
I am just looking at the situation as an outsider but how do you know that the event in the sky was not a setup, with due respect to your workmate.
Such happenings in the sky are not exactly well publicised and you could have missed the report. She could have happened to find out from some remote source and thought, ok I'm going to have a bit of fun with this.
All I am saying is, just watch out.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 4:46:38 AM
At 8/5/2016 10:08:23 AM, Willows wrote:

I still think you have a tendency to read into things, not that I am saying it is bad or wrong, so long as you don't let it get the best of you.
I am just looking at the situation as an outsider but how do you know that the event in the sky was not a setup, with due respect to your workmate.
Such happenings in the sky are not exactly well publicised and you could have missed the report. She could have happened to find out from some remote source and thought, ok I'm going to have a bit of fun with this.

This is absolutely a brilliant response. Thank you for playing a perfect devils advocate. Yes. She could have easily tricked me in this way, for i will admit i wasn't thinking about this angle. The awesome thing is that this easily discredits her and give me back the power... which is another part of this story.

The reason i find things like this trippy is because i truly doubt it. On the topic of confirmation bias, this can easily be a perfect example. I take the moment to give credit to my belief without thinking of the alternatives (like the aforementioned scenario). However, taking into account my disbelief is the important thing here... bc this is the first time she mentioned a "prediction" to me that i chose to listen to. This is the first time my power felt threatened.

She had mentioned stuff i previously rudely would avoid and not pay attention to (sounded like a Deepak Chopra fan). This was the first time i challenged. I do this selfishly, for i don't want her to be another person that can threaten my belief... my belief is made of experiences, it is made of years of me putting pieces together, so if she is spiritual ... her views will threaten mine so i don't want it to be true -- All of this was going through my head this time, looking it up, telling her she is wrong... then, the next day it is like a cosmic slap. That is why it made me think afterwards a little.

Which makes me think... is it my attention that put things into motion. Hmm. Didn't look at it in that way either... this would mean is till have all the power and i like that... I know you may be thinking deluded and what a narcissist - im just confident in what i believe and competitive. Fun attributes to have, especially for a gamer ;p
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:49:22 AM
At 8/8/2016 4:46:38 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/5/2016 10:08:23 AM, Willows wrote:

This is absolutely a brilliant response. Thank you for playing a perfect devils advocate. Yes. She could have easily tricked me in this way, for i will admit i wasn't thinking about this angle. The awesome thing is that this easily discredits her and give me back the power... which is another part of this story.

The reason i find things like this trippy is because i truly doubt it. On the topic of confirmation bias, this can easily be a perfect example. I take the moment to give credit to my belief without thinking of the alternatives (like the aforementioned scenario). However, taking into account my disbelief is the important thing here... bc this is the first time she mentioned a "prediction" to me that i chose to listen to. This is the first time my power felt threatened.

She had mentioned stuff i previously rudely would avoid and not pay attention to (sounded like a Deepak Chopra fan). This was the first time i challenged. I do this selfishly, for i don't want her to be another person that can threaten my belief... my belief is made of experiences, it is made of years of me putting pieces together, so if she is spiritual ... her views will threaten mine so i don't want it to be true -- All of this was going through my head this time, looking it up, telling her she is wrong... then, the next day it is like a cosmic slap. That is why it made me think afterwards a little.

Which makes me think... is it my attention that put things into motion. Hmm. Didn't look at it in that way either... this would mean is till have all the power and i like that... I know you may be thinking deluded and what a narcissist - im just confident in what i believe and competitive. Fun attributes to have, especially for a gamer ;p
You're cool.