Jump to topic:

Is God truly omniscient?

TheWaywardWriter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 6:32:50 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Don't get me wrong. I am " or at least I try to be " a devout Catholic. But God is admittedly downright confusing to my tiny human mind, so if there are any brighter Catholics out there floating around in the infinite cyberspace of Debate.org, I'd appreciate it if you enlightened me about this baffling conundrum.

I believe that God exists and is within us to give us salvation. But I also want to understand Him, which would thus improve the state of our relationships with Him. In Genesis 18:20-21, "Then the Lord said to Abraham, 'There are terrible accusations against Sodom and Gomorrah, and their sin is very great. I must go down to find out whether or not the accusations which I have heard are true."

Now, omniscience is the quality of knowing everything, which would also include the future. In the passage, it clearly indicates that our Lord had to "go down" to find out whether those rumors were true. If He had to find out for Himself whether it was true, then it would then oppose the idea that He knows everything. Because if you know something in all its truth and credibility because you yourself know that it would happen, it would make no sense to still have to find out whether it had happened.
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 7:13:01 AM
At 8/5/2016 6:32:50 AM, TheWaywardWriter wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I am " or at least I try to be " a devout Catholic. But God is admittedly downright confusing to my tiny human mind, so if there are any brighter Catholics out there floating around in the infinite cyberspace of Debate.org, I'd appreciate it if you enlightened me about this baffling conundrum.

I believe that God exists and is within us to give us salvation. But I also want to understand Him, which would thus improve the state of our relationships with Him. In Genesis 18:20-21, "Then the Lord said to Abraham, 'There are terrible accusations against Sodom and Gomorrah, and their sin is very great. I must go down to find out whether or not the accusations which I have heard are true."

Now, omniscience is the quality of knowing everything, which would also include the future. In the passage, it clearly indicates that our Lord had to "go down" to find out whether those rumors were true. If He had to find out for Himself whether it was true, then it would then oppose the idea that He knows everything. Because if you know something in all its truth and credibility because you yourself know that it would happen, it would make no sense to still have to find out whether it had happened.

If there is a God; it is impossible for it to be omniscient. The simple reason to this, is that any god that can exist objectively must be limited; and anything that is limited must have limited knowledge, which means that it cannot be omniscient. I can easily prove this.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 7:22:24 AM

Look for some more contradictions and outright lies, you won't stay a theist much less a Catholic.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 8:29:01 AM

An omniscient God would be bored out of his brain. Imagine yourself condemned to an eternity of never being surprised by anything. If God exists and is omniscient then he must also be utterly insane.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 1:59:17 PM

Welcome to the wonderful and weird book called the Bible. You will find it full of contradictions, inaccuracies, hyped-up myths and outright lies.
Asking another Catholic is just asking for more nonsense about nonsense.

Quite simply put, there is no such thing as omniscience and no such thing as an omnipotent spiritual being.

You are clinging onto a belief and false hope that has absolutely no relevance in today's society, only to those who will not let go of the self indulgent notion of salvation and that they are something special.
There is no God.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:11:15 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

If a being were omniscient, how would you know he was?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:37:33 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:11:15 PM, ethang5 wrote:

If a being were omniscient, how would you know he was?

God was not that bright.
1. He told the prophets he was going to send His son Jesus who was going to be rejected and put to death by the Jews.

2. God sent Jesus to save the Jews knowing Jesus would be rejected and put to death.

3. Jesus was put to death according to God's will, the Jews were not save.

4. How did God's plan help the Jews? it made their situation worse and they were slaughtered by the Romans for trying to save their temple from being desecrated by the same Romans.

"When the Romans conquered the city of Jerusalem and entered it , their pagan soldiers entered the temple, (defiling it according to Jewish Law), tore down Jewish ornaments and temple accoutrements, and raised in stead the pagan symbols and Roman standards.
The abomination was fulfilled when Roman standards and pagan symbols were placed in the temple."

It was the desecration of the temple by the Romans that led to the abomination of desolation and not the crucifixion of Jesus which happened 4 decades earlier.

This is what is called God's comedy of errors.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:47:04 PM

It is so called fate or predestination. I suggest you to learn Islam.