Jump to topic:

Understanding the Westboro Baptist Church

Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 4:04:08 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
What is with these people? I don't get them at all. Can anyone make any sense of them? Why do they think it is okay to be racist? Where is this coming from? As I see it this group gives all humans non-religious and religious alike a bad reputation. Thanks in advance.

http://www.bet.com...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 4:37:23 AM
At 8/7/2016 4:04:08 AM, Stupidape wrote:
What is with these people? I don't get them at all. Can anyone make any sense of them? Why do they think it is okay to be racist? Where is this coming from? As I see it this group gives all humans non-religious and religious alike a bad reputation. Thanks in advance.

A typical case of extremists using that good ol' time religion to channel their insane, ignorant and cowardly views. Religious institutions have a bad reputation as it is and Westboro is certainly contributing more than its fair share, hopefully towards blowing them all into oblivion.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:16:22 AM

I actually studied them for a short while, reading as much and watching as much youtube footage of them as possible. Did you want to know something specific?

Generally speaking they're like any other fundamentalist christian sect. The entire church consists of the family of the original founder, Fred Phelps, and a couple other families. There's probably less than 30 members in the church, especially since a few children of the daughter of Phelps left the church.

They strogly believe it is thier mission to warn the US of its sins in order to save as many souls as possible. The reason they protest things like soldiers funerals is because they believe that anything that happens is more or less the will of God, and given that the US is today more or less friendly towards gays they believe that God allows US soldiers to die because they defend a country that enables people to be gay, which is a sin. Those who mourn the dead are seen as foolish to WBC because their death was the will of God.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:25:13 AM

You want to know what they really are? They have an army of attorneys. They travel around the country saying the most vile, disgusting things, even offending the surviving, grieving family members of fallen soldiers. In advance of their appearance at these events, they notify local police when they will arrive and what event they will be protesting. The goal is to get a family member, etc., overwhelmed with grief, to attack one of them, so that they can sue the police agency and the governmental entity (city, county, state) which they represent for failure to protect them when they should have foreseen the danger. They are all about the money. Their disgusting behavior is simply a means to that end.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:35:34 AM
At 8/7/2016 5:25:13 AM, Throwback wrote:

You want to know what they really are? They have an army of attorneys. They travel around the country saying the most vile, disgusting things, even offending the surviving, grieving family members of fallen soldiers. In advance of their appearance at these events, they notify local police when they will arrive and what event they will be protesting. The goal is to get a family member, etc., overwhelmed with grief, to attack one of them, so that they can sue the police agency and the governmental entity (city, county, state) which they represent for failure to protect them when they should have foreseen the danger. They are all about the money. Their disgusting behavior is simply a means to that end.

They don't have an army of lawyers, the founder Fred Phelps (diseased) and his 2 daughters have law degrees and they know how to use them. They do get a lot of money suing folks as you say, but they genuinely believe they are spreading a message of love by the word of God.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:42:17 AM
At 8/7/2016 5:35:34 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

They don't have an army of lawyers, the founder Fred Phelps (diseased) and his 2 daughters have law degrees and they know how to use them. They do get a lot of money suing folks as you say, but they genuinely believe they are spreading a message of love by the word of God.

They do not. I have been on the other side of these jerks, trying to parry every attempt they make at creating a lawsuit. They are phony ambulance chasers. Their behavior is not Christian in the slightest, neither their behavior at events, nor their motives in doing it. Don't excuse it as misguided. It is not.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:43:53 AM
At 8/7/2016 5:42:17 AM, Throwback wrote:

They do not. I have been on the other side of these jerks, trying to parry every attempt they make at creating a lawsuit. They are phony ambulance chasers. Their behavior is not Christian in the slightest, neither their behavior at events, nor their motives in doing it. Don't excuse it as misguided. It is not.

You've actually spoken to these people or at least dealt with them personally?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 5:55:59 AM

They sound exactly like radical muslims, so why blame all muslims if you disagree with blaming christians for WBC?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:01:01 AM
At 8/7/2016 5:43:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Indeed
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:02:52 AM
At 8/7/2016 5:55:59 AM, bulproof wrote:

They sound exactly like radical muslims, so why blame all muslims if you disagree with blaming christians for WBC?

I think I made it clear they are not behaving as Christians are instructed to behave. The same cannot be said of Muslims who want to kill the infidels (interesting twist on terminology, but that's another topic).
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:06:37 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:01:01 AM, Throwback wrote:

Indeed

Care to give some detail? Because simply denouncing them as not Christian just plays into the No True Scotsman Fallacy.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:12:20 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:06:37 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Indeed

Care to give some detail? Because simply denouncing them as not Christian just plays into the No True Scotsman Fallacy.

What are you talking about? Do you know how Christians are instructed to behave toward their fellow man?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:14:50 AM

Indeed

Nevermind. You in fact don't know how Christians are instructed to behave toward their fellow man. I see you are an atheist. I have always done my own homework. I no longer do my daughter's homework, as she is 10 years old. I'm not doing yours either. If you wan to learn something, go learn it.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:16:40 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:14:50 AM, Throwback wrote:

Indeed

Nevermind. You in fact don't know how Christians are instructed to behave toward their fellow man. I see you are an atheist. I have always done my own homework. I no longer do my daughter's homework, as she is 10 years old. I'm not doing yours either. If you wan to learn something, go learn it.

No @ss hat, I was asking for detail on how you personally dealt with the WBC. I don't need your other crap.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:19:24 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:16:40 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 8/7/2016 6:14:50 AM, Throwback wrote:

Indeed

No @ss hat, I was asking for detail on how you personally dealt with the WBC. I don't need your other crap.

No need for an asshat to bring you down by discussing his crap with you. And no, I wouldn't give specifics of the internal workings of my agency, even if I wasn't an asshat.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:49:08 AM

If they call this love, I shudder to think of how they express hate.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:51:23 AM

Their behaviour is Christian completely, they are a Christian cult.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:52:24 AM

+1
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:56:19 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:02:52 AM, Throwback wrote:

I think I made it clear they are not behaving as Christians are instructed to behave. The same cannot be said of Muslims who want to kill the infidels (interesting twist on terminology, but that's another topic).
A totally absurd and biased observation.
The brands may be different but the scenarios are identical.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:58:39 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:12:20 AM, Throwback wrote:

Indeed

What are you talking about? Do you know how Christians are instructed to behave toward their fellow man?

You deliberately use the passive tense here..."are instructed".....by whom may I ask?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 6:59:20 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:49:08 AM, Willows wrote:

Christians don't hate (sarcasm). But here's a funny video.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:04:09 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:59:20 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I never claimed Christians can't or don't hate. I simply said it is opposed to what Christianity teaches. Anyone can act contrary to the teachings of their belief system. As for the muslims, this is what they do if they do not seek the forcibly convert or kill any who disagree with them. The terrorists do not act against islam, as the nasty vile christian is acting against christianity.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:10:52 AM

Indeed

The so-called "No True Scotsman Fallacy" isn't always a fallacy. For some, it's just a crutch - and it only applies to unwarranted assertions anyhow.

Example:

"No true Democrat would have voted Republican in every city, county, state, and national election for the last 40 years."

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that ANYONE who (1) has heard the word of God, either written or spoken, (2) believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, with associated ancillary facts, (3) repented of his sins, (4) confessed his faith in Jesus as the Son of God, and (5) been immersed for the forgiveness of sins by the authority of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit IS a Christian. That's all it takes. Now ... from there, he may hold some radical views on this or that, but he is still a Christian. Unfortunately, the folks at Westboro haven't even done those five things up there, so I'm not sure exactly what they are.

In addition, there are many social issues which the NT does not even address, among them segregation and integration. And one SURE didn't find Peter and Paul out protesting this and that, carrying signs, marching, staging sit-ins, and the like. Nope, those activities are the concern of paid agitators such as MLK, Sharpton, Jackson, and the Westboro fruitcakes.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:11:14 AM
At 8/7/2016 6:02:52 AM, Throwback wrote:

Be afraid, be very afraid there are over a billion Muslims and they all want to kill you.
You WANKER.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:11:47 AM
At 8/7/2016 7:04:09 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/7/2016 6:59:20 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

I never claimed Christians can't or don't hate. I simply said it is opposed to what Christianity teaches. Anyone can act contrary to the teachings of their belief system. As for the muslims, this is what they do if they do not seek the forcibly convert or kill any who disagree with them. The terrorists do not act against islam, as the nasty vile christian is acting against christianity.

I thought we were done? I wasn't talking to you or quoting you above.

Anyone can act contrary to teachings, so why can't the WBC be considered at the very least wayward Christians? Again I bring up the No True Scotsman Fallacy. According to your profile you're catholic, there are plenty of protestants that would say some of your beliefs are just as heretical as the WBC. And of course the WBC would denounce everyone else s not Christian. It's funny, back and forth Bible quotes for hours.

Do you think all Muslims support violence against non-believers?
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:16:55 AM
At 8/7/2016 7:10:52 AM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed

The so-called "No True Scotsman Fallacy" isn't always a fallacy. For some, it's just a crutch - and it only applies to unwarranted assertions anyhow.

Example:

"No true Democrat would have voted Republican in every city, county, state, and national election for the last 40 years."

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that ANYONE who (1) has heard the word of God, either written or spoken, (2) believed in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, with associated ancillary facts, (3) repented of his sins, (4) confessed his faith in Jesus as the Son of God, and (5) been immersed for the forgiveness of sins by the authority of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit IS a Christian. That's all it takes. Now ... from there, he may hold some radical views on this or that, but he is still a Christian. Unfortunately, the folks at Westboro haven't even done those five things up there, so I'm not sure exactly what they are.

How do you know they havn't done any of those 5 things? They have Bibles, they openly says Jesus is the Savior and Son of God ...

Nice try, but again your engaging in the No Scotsman Fallacy, and It's appropriate to call it such.

In addition, there are many social issues which the NT does not even address, among them segregation and integration. And one SURE didn't find Peter and Paul out protesting this and that, carrying signs, marching, staging sit-ins, and the like. Nope, those activities are the concern of paid agitators such as MLK, Sharpton, Jackson, and the Westboro fruitcakes.

MLK an agitator? lol wow. Who was paying MLK to fight for civil rights? The evil liberals? Or worse, the jews?

You also wont find Peter or Paul on the Internet debating random people about the WBC - so huh perhaps you ought to follow.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:17:59 AM

Racism, or the lack of it, is not addressed in the NT as far as society in general, or the civil system, is concerned. Example: about 95% of the blacks in the U. S. voted for Obama. I bet half of them didn't even know who else was running - and the ones who did know that couldn't name the two senators from their own state. Dey jes' out der votin' fo da brothah! Is that racist? Of course it is! 95% of the negro population voted against a candidate largely on the basis of race. Is it a sin? Absolutely not.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:20:35 AM
At 8/7/2016 7:17:59 AM, annanicole wrote:

Racism, or the lack of it, is not addressed in the NT as far as society in general, or the civil system, is concerned. Example: about 95% of the blacks in the U. S. voted for Obama. I bet half of them didn't even know who else was running - and the ones who did know that couldn't name the two senators from their own state. Dey jes' out der votin' fo da brothah! Is that racist? Of course it is! 95% of the negro population voted against a candidate largely on the basis of race. Is it a sin? Absolutely not.

FYI Shirly Phelps (the daughter of the founder of WBC) agrees with you about racism not being an issue. Her father was a civil rights lawyer.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2016 7:21:29 AM

They are the sickest of the sick!