Jump to topic:

Are cults illegal?

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 9:57:13 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I know that not all cults are evil but most modern cults are evil: KKK, Creativity Movement, Feminism, Family International, etc.

I've never heard of a cult that has gotten in legal trouble or had members arrested for participating in evil rituals and activities.

So basically, does this mean that if you join a cult or form a cult yourself, that you can get away with committing any crime and not get in legal trouble?

I'm just curious. Are cults illegal and if so, what exactly makes specific cults illegal?

Also, are cults actually beneficial to society and the government or are they just delusional groups of people devoted towards a certain thing?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 4:10:24 AM
At 8/9/2016 9:57:13 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I know that not all cults are evil but most modern cults are evil: KKK, Creativity Movement, Feminism, Family International, etc.

I've never heard of a cult that has gotten in legal trouble or had members arrested for participating in evil rituals and activities.

So basically, does this mean that if you join a cult or form a cult yourself, that you can get away with committing any crime and not get in legal trouble?

I'm just curious. Are cults illegal and if so, what exactly makes specific cults illegal?

Also, are cults actually beneficial to society and the government or are they just delusional groups of people devoted towards a certain thing?

in some countries, some cults are illegal.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 11:28:23 PM
At 8/10/2016 4:10:24 AM, uncung wrote:

What types of cults?

Can you please be a little more specific? Thanks.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 12:43:50 AM
At 8/13/2016 11:28:23 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 8/10/2016 4:10:24 AM, uncung wrote:

What types of cults?

Can you please be a little more specific? Thanks.

such this one:
"The Central Jakarta District Court has again sentenced religious sect leader Lia Eden, also known as Lia Aminuddin or Syamsuriati, to prison for religious blasphemy.

The court found Lia guilty of religious blasphemy and incitement of hatred among religious adherents by proselytizing her religion - which she named God's Kingdom of Eden - and delivering her messages to thousands of government institutions, including the Presidential Palace.
"

http://www.thejakartapost.com...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:28:27 AM

People from birth are indoctrinated and victimized by those in power. U.S.A. public education system and mass media could be a cult. Boot camp could be called a cult.

The OP post is about legality but the term "evil" is about morality. There will be morally good or neutral things outlawed and some "evil" thing legalized.

Because one does morality, ethics and legal systems rarely mirror each other.

Yeah because dancing around a bon fire naked under the moonlight sacrificing a goat on private property is not illegal.

Like I said "evil" and "illegal" do not mirror each other.

When a cult does get arrested it is because the authorities thought they were breaking a law.

No. A cult doesn't insulate you from the jurisdiction of the local and federal authorities. If you want to get away with actions that are deemed illegal, join a mob. They generally have greater resources than some Wednesday night Wicca club, to cover up crime.

IN other countries a group might be deemed illegal. Here in America they are generally just marginalized and vilified. but not banned illegal.

Take for instance Gangs are not illegal. But because of historical precedence law enforcement will look more closely at gang affiliated people.

I can't even go into all the details as to the differences in different cults.

I would say in a general sense a Cult is the extreme version of a social club. Especially to the point that an individual person becomes dependent on club decisions. Isolated from family and other such things.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 5:15:40 AM

If you look at Waco and Jonestown, they were pretty gruesome episodes in cult history.

The Jehovah's Witnesses have been on the wrong side of the law over their wacky beliefs. There have been instances where JW children have been put under the protection of welfare authorities since their parents refused life-saving blood transfusions.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:51:05 AM

clearly not the jw's mormons and islam are cuts and they parade themselves around every day...
willbedone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 11:26:30 AM

Also, are cults actually beneficial to society and the government or are they just delusional groups of people devoted towards a certain thing? : :

You should give the reader a definition of what you think a cult is before anyone can answer your questions.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 11:57:23 AM

FEMINISM bahahahahaha.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 6:10:46 PM
At 8/14/2016 11:26:30 AM, willbedone wrote:

Also, are cults actually beneficial to society and the government or are they just delusional groups of people devoted towards a certain thing? : :

You should give the reader a definition of what you think a cult is before anyone can answer your questions.

To me, a cult is a group of people devoted to a particular thing or set of beliefs/ideas and one that engages in ritualistic activities that are related to this particular thing or set of beliefs/ideas.
willbedone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 6:13:16 PM
At 8/14/2016 6:10:46 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 8/14/2016 11:26:30 AM, willbedone wrote:

To me, a cult is a group of people devoted to a particular thing or set of beliefs/ideas and one that engages in ritualistic activities that are related to this particular thing or set of beliefs/ideas. : :

All religious groups are cults because they don't have a clue what God wants them to do. He had his prophets write down what he wanted them to do but they never do.