Jump to topic:

A question for Atheists

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:05:44 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Are you a strong atheist or a weak atheist?

I am a weak atheist regarding the existence of deities but a strong atheist regarding the existence of the specific deities of every religion.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:12:40 AM
At 8/10/2016 1:05:44 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

I am a weak atheist regarding the existence of deities but a strong atheist regarding the existence of the specific deities of every religion.

I'm a weak Atheists. Because I know I should be Agnostic.
But I don't like it.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:25:20 AM

I would pretty much take the same position. Deities in general are vague concepts that there is no way to disprove or even present a real rational argument against. But as soon as you start getting to the specifics (sends people to hell, forbids us from masturbating, etc.) then it just starts to get ridiculous, if not self contradictory.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:55:29 AM

Same.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 6:34:45 AM
In the unlikely event of there being gods out there, let them get on with it,I say. Live and let live.Should they wish to impinge on the real world let them make themselves known.
Organised religion , on the other hand, is a completely different kettle of fish. I believe ALL organised religions are inherently evil and were/are created soley to give power, money, sex and social status to their hierarchies.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 7:54:21 AM

I'm a strong atheist Chloe, because 'deity' has no meaning other than theological, and all theology is either false or invalid.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 8:14:41 AM

I think deities is more like a weak religion, nevertheless, like all religion is pure speculation and can be dismissed as false owing to lack of evidence.

When I think about it I would probably be 99.9% athiest and 0.1% agnostic since there is still no confirmed evidence as to how (anti) matter came to be. They're working on it and will probably have an answer before long. When is happens though, will that stop some people believing in fairy tales and a fairyland afterlife? I doubt it.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 2:25:49 PM
I have a hard time determining this because I completely reject the supernatural, hence any deity claimed to be of that nature. I don't claim to be absolutely certain because it's impossible to know everything so I must go on the evidence available to me. I'll leave it to others to categorize that.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 2:34:32 PM

I'm a strong atheist towards all notions of god, which is a position derived largely from psychology. A tiny glimpse into some of my reasoning can be found in R2 of this debate: http://www.debate.org....

I don't find deism to be worthy of recognition; it's essentially logically equivalent to atheism.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 5:02:51 PM
At 8/10/2016 2:34:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I'm a strong atheist towards all notions of god, which is a position derived largely from psychology. A tiny glimpse into some of my reasoning can be found in R2 of this debate: http://www.debate.org....

Chaosism, that was very carefully researched and well-argued -- and, I suspect, largely wasted on the member you were debating. It's hard to communicate the idea that there's no evidence for gods other than inherited beliefs, and that we already have better explanations for belief than that gods exist, but I thought you made the case really well.

My compliments!
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 5:53:24 PM

It's too bad that someone has to be an atheist in order to understand atheism around here...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 6:00:41 PM
At 8/10/2016 5:02:51 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 8/10/2016 2:34:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Chaosism, that was very carefully researched and well-argued -- and, I suspect, largely wasted on the member you were debating. It's hard to communicate the idea that there's no evidence for gods other than inherited beliefs, and that we already have better explanations for belief than that gods exist, but I thought you made the case really well.

My compliments!

Yeah, that was a waste. And thank you - I've put a decent amount of effort into my psychology research, overall. :)
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 6:15:04 PM
At 8/10/2016 7:40:04 AM, UUU wrote:
Chloe8,

Are you sure a lack of belief leaves room for weak and strong?

Atheism entails a lack of belief that a god exists, so this logically includes both those individuals who reject the truth of the claim that a god exists AND those individuals who additionally hold the claim that no god exists to be true.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 6:55:24 PM

I am a weak atheist regarding the existence of deities but a strong atheist regarding the existence of the specific deities of every religion

I am a weak atheist as well.