foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:42:07 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2016 10:15:45 PM, janesix wrote:
Are former christians?

I'm a former Christian, to be precise, a Roman Catholic. Till just a few months ago, I still believed in it passionately.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:45:50 PM
I was indoctrinated christian while living with my parents long ago.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:48:47 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:42:07 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
Are former christians?

I'm a former Christian, to be precise, a Roman Catholic. Till just a few months ago, I still believed in it passionately.
What changed your mind?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:55:45 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:45:50 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:
Why did you change your mind?
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:00:38 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:48:47 PM, janesix wrote:
Are former christians?

What changed your mind?

What influenced my beliefs in the first place was scaremongering, and being raised into the religion itself from a young age, mostly because my country is one of the most Catholic countries in the world. I grew up in a society in which, questioning the religious belief itself, is almost some kind of blasphemy. I started reading scriptures in-depth, and I slowly started feeling like my beliefs weren't aligned with the philosophy of the religion itself. I also didn't believe the "creationist" theories. Overtime, I became more and more skeptic. So now I'm an Atheist.

Whether a god exists or not, I don't know, but in the case one does exist, I don't believe that this god would be like those scriptures describe him.

I still pretend to be a Catholic in everyday life, mostly because of social stigma by older generations, and because of my family.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:15:13 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:55:45 PM, janesix wrote:

I had too many logical questions that were answered with too many illogical answers.
My mother and our pastor did conclude that I had a rebellious spirit, and that required beating from my mother and a prayer circle for casting out familiar spirits. My dad was indifferent.

And as I was in the middle of the prayer circle fraught with church members reaching out their hands and speaking in tongues, They were praying so hard, and I wondered to myself 'should pretend like it's taking effect, or'....it was just the most ridiculous spectacle, I made my decision to pretend, AND to abandon Christianity as soon as I was on my own.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:35:54 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:15:13 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

I had too many logical questions that were answered with too many illogical answers.

May I ask for an example?

My mother and our pastor did conclude that I had a rebellious spirit, and that required beating from my mother and a prayer circle for casting out familiar spirits. My dad was indifferent.

Wow, that's unfortunate. I've seen and been around a lot of weird religious people as well but I always was able to separate peoples actions from what I know to be true. In other words what people did had no impact on my beliefs.

And as I was in the middle of the prayer circle fraught with church members reaching out their hands and speaking in tongues, They were praying so hard, and I wondered to myself 'should pretend like it's taking effect, or'....it was just the most ridiculous spectacle, I made my decision to pretend, AND to abandon Christianity as soon as I was on my own.

Can I ask what you think about Jesus and what He taught? and not about people or church? just curious.
I had some strange experiences as well with people or other "believers", but I could never abandon the possibility that Jesus taught the truth, or that Christianity is more than what other religious people do, do you feel that way at all?
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:00:47 AM
At 8/10/2016 11:35:54 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Wow, that's unfortunate. I've seen and been around a lot of weird religious people as well but I always was able to separate peoples actions from what I know to be true. In other words what people did had no impact on my beliefs.

Can I ask what you think about Jesus and what He taught? and not about people or church? just curious.
I had some strange experiences as well with people or other "believers", but I could never abandon the possibility that Jesus taught the truth, or that Christianity is more than what other religious people do, do you feel that way at all?

one example: my mother suffers from severe asthma that she diligently prayed and tithed so that God would heal her, she uses an inhaler that she puffs on daily. I asked her why hasn't God healed her yet, she would answer with a smack to the face and warned me to never question gods will!

some other questions I asked was, if God plans everything according to his will, and his will be done or whatever, then what's the point of praying for your own will to be done? Why pray at all? and you've thanked him tirelessly yet you are not satisfied with your condition, why are you still thanking him?

My honesty is what landed me beatings and prayer circles.

As for Christ teachings, to be honest it's been so long, I can't recall anything of significance, it really had very little impact on me.

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:07:39 AM
Are former christians?

I was a Christian, but never because I was persuaded by it. I was a Christian due to being raised such and left it the more educated I got.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:14:11 AM
Are former christians?

I was.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:52:33 AM
Are former christians?

Here.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:58:21 AM
At 8/10/2016 11:00:38 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
Are former christians?

What changed your mind?

What influenced my beliefs in the first place was scaremongering, and being raised into the religion itself from a young age, mostly because my country is one of the most Catholic countries in the world. I grew up in a society in which, questioning the religious belief itself, is almost some kind of blasphemy. I started reading scriptures in-depth, and I slowly started feeling like my beliefs weren't aligned with the philosophy of the religion itself. I also didn't believe the "creationist" theories. Overtime, I became more and more skeptic. So now I'm an Atheist.

Whether a god exists or not, I don't know, but in the case one does exist, I don't believe that this god would be like those scriptures describe him.

I still pretend to be a Catholic in everyday life, mostly because of social stigma by older generations, and because of my family.

That is very unfortunate.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 2:03:58 AM

I am a Roman Catholic, and I have to say the treatment you describe is completely unacceptable. It's too bad people try to use religion as some sort of weapon or threat, instead of proposing it as offering the true sense of fulfillment it can be, if on accepts it VOLUNTARILY. You just can't force anyone to believe anything.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:52:27 AM
At 8/11/2016 2:03:58 AM, Throwback wrote:

I am a Roman Catholic, and I have to say the treatment you describe is completely unacceptable. It's too bad people try to use religion as some sort of weapon or threat, instead of proposing it as offering the true sense of fulfillment it can be, if on accepts it VOLUNTARILY. You just can't force anyone to believe anything.

I too was raised in a Roman Catholic family, attended RC primary and secondary schools, even did the altar boy bit. Even then though I couldn't see the point of it, there being no real reason to believe in the Abrahamic god.
On leaving my catholic cocoon and going to university the remaining scales dropped from my eyes and I saw all religion as the con trick it is.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 8:52:33 AM
At 8/11/2016 1:58:21 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/10/2016 11:00:38 PM, foxxhajti wrote:
Are former christians?

What changed your mind?

That is very unfortunate.

It's alright. I'm still happy as it is. :)

Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 9:53:37 AM
At 8/11/2016 6:52:27 AM, desmac wrote:
At 8/11/2016 2:03:58 AM, Throwback wrote:

I too was raised in a Roman Catholic family, attended RC primary and secondary schools, even did the altar boy bit. Even then though I couldn't see the point of it, there being no real reason to believe in the Abrahamic god.
On leaving my catholic cocoon and going to university the remaining scales dropped from my eyes and I saw all religion as the con trick it is.

That is an unfortunate thing to hear.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:06:16 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:00:47 AM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:

one example: my mother suffers from severe asthma that she diligently prayed and tithed so that God would heal her, she uses an inhaler that she puffs on daily. I asked her why hasn't God healed her yet, she would answer with a smack to the face and warned me to never question gods will!

Prayer works in principle, this is one reason why prayer to many people seems unfair, inconsistent, cold or uncaring ect however it's not the element of prayer or even God that is unfair, inconsistent or uncaring it's us, as people create our own obstacles.
You said your mom prayed diligently and tithed so God would heal her yet she would smack her own daughter in the face for asking a question.
Your mom wanted not to suffer physically yet she beat her daughter, humiliated her and basically scarred her (you) for life, possibly ruined her relations with God.....maybe if you step back a bit you could understand what I mean by prayer works in principle. Meaning when something else is out of order then prayer will not manifest itself into the material as results.
Do you know what I mean by that?

some other questions I asked was, if God plans everything according to his will, and his will be done or whatever, then what's the point of praying for your own will to be done? Why pray at all? and you've thanked him tirelessly yet you are not satisfied with your condition, why are you still thanking him?

Would you be willing to discuss some of these aspects with me? Just so ya know a little bit about me, I've always really loved God and as a young kid I would apply His principles on my own accord. I'm not religiously motivated, I do not push religious sects or support denominations doctrines or divisions though I support the structure of church in scripture and it's purpose I'm not a member of any system though I do attend services and I do fellowship, I have no problems with none of that.
Having said that, there is a difference between all of that and YOUR connection with the spirit, it just means you are the mediator between scripture and what you apply.

One thing you should consider is understanding the difference between Calvinism as opposed to other views. I do not, and have never believed that God is in complete control of everything or causes everything that happens, that would negate the role of sowing and reaping, cause and effect, karma ect in other words every action has an equal and opposite reaction, Jesus showed us this principle and that is because God is not the cause of everything that happens.
There is God's will, there is our own will, there is want God wants, and there is what we want. As Christians we strive to merge the two together, this takes place as a cultivation over a period of time, a lifestyle....If God was in control of everything and dictated everyone's choices and actions why did God claim He gave man dominion over the earth in Genesis? why did God rid the world of evil in the flood if it was His will to begin with, how could God "grieve" over something that was His will??? why does James say the opposite?
Here in James 1
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Just understand this is what I'm trying to say, there isn't only one view and one theory. Don't be held down or discouraged by what people have done or said to you, take a look at the scriptures for yourself, read what Jesus and Paul taught, you aren't interested in your spirituality?? you aren't interested to know how this may apply to you??

Prayer has a few different purposes in our lives and in scripture, a connection to God, as a petition and for results, so yes those are very important for you so there is a point to it. However it is based in principle, the spiritual Kingdom is made up of spiritual laws just the the natural world consists of natural laws.
People mistakenly think God just sits around and somehow hears and grants prayers randomly lol, no prayer works as a principle, it means as I said earlier all things must be aligned for it to produce fruit. Essentially it's the same idea of God listening and granting but it's not based on emotion but principle, order....

The point of being thankful when not being satisfied goes back to what I was saying about prayer, it's all in principle, this is how principles work, they have to be applied and you want that fruit to take root, grow and manifest into reality, this takes practice because there are many spiritual principles and there are many obstacles in the flesh.

My honesty is what landed me beatings and prayer circles.

Yes, and I am very sorry about that. I've been hurt many times, God is my strength He is my high tower. I love God with all my heart, mind and soul, He is my heart and my passion. Without that there isn't much that would have kept me from abandoning religion like you. I'm very sorry about your hurt. Maybe if it's not a painful subject we could discuss some of this in a new light.

As for Christ teachings, to be honest it's been so long, I can't recall anything of significance, it really had very little impact on me.

Well it's kind of the whole point behind Christianity lol, to know and understand what Jesus spoke. Without a minimum of at least that there is no way you could ever debate as an atheist against Jesus right? how are you going to discuss religion or consider what Jesus taught not knowing anything about it? not being a smart azz I'm being serious here...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:54:12 AM

Let me give you an example to go along with what I just wrote to you about prayer so you have something to think on...
Ephesians 6 says
"4 And, ye fathers (parents), provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

If your mom provoked you to wrath she is not operating in the correct principles, here prayers will be hindered.

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7 For let not that man (person) think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

8 A double minded man (person) is unstable in all his ways.

See again we have principle, if a person is unstable (like maybe your mom) or even provokes their child to anger and rebellion then let them not think they shall receive anything until the house is in order.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:20:28 PM
At 8/11/2016 11:54:12 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Let me give you an example to go along with what I just wrote to you about prayer so you have something to think on...
Ephesians 6 says
"4 And, ye fathers (parents), provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

If your mom provoked you to wrath she is not operating in the correct principles, here prayers will be hindered.

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7 For let not that man (person) think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

See again we have principle, if a person is unstable (like maybe your mom) or even provokes their child to anger and rebellion then let them not think they shall receive anything until the house is in order.

Here's my thought: it may be best not to be too preachy to those who are not so disposed. It kind of turns them off. Even as a devout Catholic it kind of turns me off seeing it done unsolicited. Like the difference between a good joke and a good laugh, timing is everything. Just a bit of experience talking...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:25:15 PM
At 8/11/2016 12:20:28 PM, Throwback wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Here's my thought: it may be best not to be too preachy to those who are not so disposed. It kind of turns them off. Even as a devout Catholic it kind of turns me off seeing it done unsolicited. Like the difference between a good joke and a good laugh, timing is everything. Just a bit of experience talking...

Thanks for the suggestion, but my intent is not to preach but to debate and discuss Christianity and what it really is, to answer questions, to engage. Where did I preach? am I a preacher lol? didn't know I was, was just my intent to debate scripture...
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:27:01 PM

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Perhaps what you feel and what the person I was posting to feels is not the same thing, maybe let's see what the poster has to say.....no?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:31:24 PM
At 8/11/2016 12:27:01 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Perhaps what you feel and what the person I was posting to feels is not the same thing, maybe let's see what the poster has to say.....no?

You are too easily offended.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:38:51 PM
At 8/11/2016 12:31:24 PM, Throwback wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Offended may not be the appropriate word, concerned or curious that someone would interrupt something I take as serious in nature as this just to be subtly sarcastic is bothersome to me, and shows me your character. But then again though I love Catholics we don't usually get along on paper.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:42:28 PM
Are former christians?

Witness.
Great show of respect right here from the life long Atheists to sit back and watch this thread unfold.
Nice work guys.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:43:39 PM
At 8/11/2016 12:38:51 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Offended may not be the appropriate word, concerned or curious that someone would interrupt something I take as serious in nature as this just to be subtly sarcastic is bothersome to me, and shows me your character. But then again though I love Catholics we don't usually get along on paper.

You're still being too offended. I wasn't sarcastic. Again, just years of experience that I should not have offered.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:09:22 PM
At 8/11/2016 12:43:39 PM, Throwback wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

You're still being too offended. I wasn't sarcastic. Again, just years of experience that I should not have offered.

Perhaps let us read that again and maybe you can see my reaction from a different perspective...." It kind of turns them off. Even as a devout Catholic it kind of turns me off seeing it done unsolicited."

You basically reduced my post to a turnoff...which means "causes someone to feel bored, disgusted, or sexually repelled." Since you left it up to me to interpret what you meant by turnoff it came across as more insulting. It's something I would have only said to be a smart azz or confrontational, perhaps you had better intentions, it didn't come across that way.
Anyways, maybe we could get to know each other better. It's not my intention to be some preacher, though discussing/debating Christianity can come across that way easily. I'll try and be more careful with that!
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 2:01:26 PM
At 8/11/2016 1:09:22 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 8/11/2016 12:43:39 PM, Throwback wrote:

Ephesians 6 says

Take a peek at this...
James 1 says

Perhaps let us read that again and maybe you can see my reaction from a different perspective...." It kind of turns them off. Even as a devout Catholic it kind of turns me off seeing it done unsolicited."

You basically reduced my post to a turnoff...which means "causes someone to feel bored, disgusted, or sexually repelled." Since you left it up to me to interpret what you meant by turnoff it came across as more insulting. It's something I would have only said to be a smart azz or confrontational, perhaps you had better intentions, it didn't come across that way.
Anyways, maybe we could get to know each other better. It's not my intention to be some preacher, though discussing/debating Christianity can come across that way easily. I'll try and be more careful with that!

My language may be crude? 28 years as a police officer. I only meant turn off as in tuning out.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 2:58:22 PM
Are former christians?

I was raised Southern Baptist.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 3:10:04 PM
Are former christians?

Raised in a Greek Orthodox family. My mother is deeply religious. My father went along but I now suspect he had no great belief or respect for the church.

I guess that would classify me as a former Christian although I rebelled from attending church in my early teenage years and was a fully fledged atheist by the time I entered university. It wasn't discussed much in those days though.