Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Assuming God doesn't exist, is atheism moral?

Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 2:02:25 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Assuming God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist, is spreading atheism moral? Do we have the right to scrutinize religious texts and attempt to point out how improbable or immoral those texts are? How about the opposite, what right do we have to be idle and not scrutinize religious texts?

Personally, reflecting back I haven't seen religion do me much good. I saw God as a supreme being that arbitrarily killed people. I was terrified God would smite me for no reason at all. I was maybe 3-4 years old when I saw on TV the story of the golden calf. I didn't understand why God killed the people worshiping the golden calf. I also heard the story of somebody being turned into a pillar of salt.

I didn't understand why God did that, so I assume it was arbitrary. That if you thought the wrong thought, God would turn you into a pillar of salt. I always saw myself on the wrong side of God's wrath. Living that way for years, the fear and stress of God gnawed away at me.

In conclusion, I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that for a God that doesn't exist. Assuming God doesn't exist, we have a moral imperative to rid the world of religion.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 4:36:29 AM
At 8/11/2016 2:02:25 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Assuming God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist, is spreading atheism moral? Do we have the right to scrutinize religious texts and attempt to point out how improbable or immoral those texts are? How about the opposite, what right do we have to be idle and not scrutinize religious texts?

Personally, reflecting back I haven't seen religion do me much good. I saw God as a supreme being that arbitrarily killed people. I was terrified God would smite me for no reason at all. I was maybe 3-4 years old when I saw on TV the story of the golden calf. I didn't understand why God killed the people worshiping the golden calf. I also heard the story of somebody being turned into a pillar of salt.

I didn't understand why God did that, so I assume it was arbitrary. That if you thought the wrong thought, God would turn you into a pillar of salt. I always saw myself on the wrong side of God's wrath. Living that way for years, the fear and stress of God gnawed away at me.

In conclusion, I wouldn't want anyone else to go through that for a God that doesn't exist. Assuming God doesn't exist, we have a moral imperative to rid the world of religion.

atheism doesn't have a position on what is moral or not.
the same way that not believing Santa Claus is real doesn't have a position on what is moral or not.

atheism is the lack of believe in any god or gods.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 7:39:53 AM

Progressives are Stupid Apes
https://www.youtube.com...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 9:35:28 AM
Assuming God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist, is spreading atheism moral?
You cannot spread atheism except by political compulsion, which I and many other atheists do not support.

What you can spread from discussion are compassion, greater respect for people, evidence and accountability, more accurate information, more effective critical thought, and more examined ethics.

If you spread those, you will very likely spread secular humanism [https://en.wikipedia.org...]. That may result in greater kindness, justice, theological skepticism and broad-ranging inquiries, but not necessarily atheism.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:31:16 AM
Assuming God, the creator of the universe, doesn't exist, is spreading atheism moral?

If God doesn't exist I don't think that would be a moral concern.

So you never connected with what Jesus taught? first things first...

There is nothing wrong with being on the wrong side of God's wrath unless you don't get back on the correct side lol. God is good, God is patient, God is awesome.
The point is for us to get on the right side, why wouldn't you want to be on the right side? there is no condemnation in the spirit, only conviction. There is much freedom in God, God has been ever patient with me and that only makes me want to seek Him more and more.
There is a difference between observing religion from afar as opposed to connecting, applying, observing... from what I have read here you may have not understood the Gospels at all, that's not an insult BTW.

That's not what we are supposed to go through, good grief. No wonder you ran away lol.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 1:11:28 PM
Atheism is a position adopted after theistic claims have not met their burden of proof.
Per se, on its own, it doesn't entail a moral stance.
Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 5:54:19 PM
Not a big fan of humanism, vegan here. Don't like the idea of focusing too much on humans. Humans have so many rights compared to animals already.
Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:00:52 PM
"Progressives are Stupid Apes
https://www.youtube.com...;

Right now I am a fan of libertarianism/agnosticism. Gary Johnson for president. So, does that make me a progressive?