Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Assuming God is evil, should we obey God?

Stupidape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 2:27:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Assuming God, the creator of the universe, is malevolent. Should we obey or fight against God? There are many fictional tales of evil Gods. There is some appeal to serving a dark God.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 7:51:58 AM
At 8/11/2016 2:27:13 AM, Stupidape wrote:

Assuming God, the creator of the universe, is malevolent. Should we obey or fight against God? There are many fictional tales of evil Gods. There is some appeal to serving a dark God.

Your question seems to imply that we should "obey" God if He is deemed by us to be benevolent.

Why? Why do you assume this? What does God being good imply my obedience? I have friends who are good, I feel no need to obey them.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 9:01:46 AM
Assuming God is evil requires assuming God exists, which I tend not to do! But if God did exist I would have thougt obeying him would be a good idea whether he was good or bad. Surely disobeying a malevolent God is just dumb because you can't win. You'd have the moral high ground for exactly how long it takes him to smite you with boils or a thunderbolt.

A malevolent person one can fight, and even a malevolent government but not a malevolent God - have you read Pardise Lost?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 9:25:32 AM

yes we should since He provides the torment place so called hell for disobeying Him. If there were no bad consequence such hell then why on earth would we obey someone or something so called God?
the prisoners certainly should obey the prison guards, otherwise the guards would torture them.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 5:52:29 PM
Oh . . . So is this why you say you don't believe in God? Because you think He is evil?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 5:57:34 PM

This is what passes for intellectual discussion now. You pose an impossible premise, a premise opposed to itself, and try to pass it off as critical thinking.

Do you guys even still take logic classes to learn sequential and critical thinking skills?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:06:43 PM

Assuming he is malevolent, I'd say try to ignore him. If you can't obey sincerely, he'd know anyhow, there is no faking it to appease him. Maybe he'd cut some slack for being true to oneself.

The God I believe in - the OG - Original God of Creation, is benevolent in my opinion; the one who is currently reigning is learning through creation and is neither good nor bad, just inexperienced. and trying to get the respect of the OG. The devil is jealous of mankind's ability to exist in the flesh, and is always trying to get us to fail, to show both Gods that humans were a waste of creative energy.

I know the OP didn't ask for this elaboration, but I wanted to share it since it is somewhat related.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:07:40 PM
At 8/11/2016 9:25:32 AM, uncung wrote:

yes we should since He provides the torment place so called hell for disobeying Him.

And there it is, folks.
The cutting edge of Islamic moral thought:
"We should obey the Mobster, else He's going to break your legs".

So deep.

If there were no bad consequence such hell then why on earth would we obey someone or something so called God?

Because it would be morally justified?
I know, such a shocking concept.

the prisoners certainly should obey the prison guards, otherwise the guards would torture them.

Again, thanks for eloquently proving my point.
BradWatsonMiami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:16:30 PM
Stupidape,

The definition of 'God' is one... You mean 'god'.

"God is Good", GOD=GOOD.
GOD=7_4, whereas G is the 7th letter, a circle, D is 4. GOD=7_4, 7/4=July 4th or 7 April 30 AD: Good(7__4) Friday(74) when Jesus(74=J10+E5+S19+U21+S19) was nailed on(74) the Cross(74=C3+R18+O15+S19+S19)
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:22:37 PM
At 8/11/2016 6:16:30 PM, BradWatsonMiami wrote:
Stupidape,

The definition of 'God' is one... You mean 'god'.

"God is Good", GOD=GOOD.

I'm still having a little difficulty deciding if you're being sarcastic or if you believe this stuff. Facial expressions for context might be helpful.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 7:05:53 PM
At 8/11/2016 7:51:58 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Your question seems to imply that we should "obey" God if He is deemed by us to be benevolent.

You need to improve your reading and comprehension skills. The word he used was 'malevolent' and a a 'dark 'God.

Why? Why do you assume this? What does God being good imply my obedience? I have friends who are good, I feel no need to obey them.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 7:46:52 PM

It depends on what he commands. Bible God"s commandment is to love, so I don"t think He is evil.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 7:59:14 PM

How could God be malevolent?
riyad70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 8:27:02 PM

Evil God creates humans capable of doing good ? what for ? to displease him ?

And what can the nature of this fight against him be, or even the possible results of such fight, can we ever when if we will die no matter what and God never dies ?

This can work in polytheistic religions.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 8:41:51 PM
At 8/11/2016 7:59:14 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Creating intellects that have the ability to suffer, and dispensing various 'tests' which they could never pass in order to achieve His promised rewards. A cheese scented maze filled with mice, and no exit.

Laugh riot, if you are an entity that is malevolent.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 8:56:25 PM
At 8/11/2016 8:41:51 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Creating intellects that have the ability to suffer,

So suffering is necessarily bad?

and dispensing various 'tests' which they could never pass in order to achieve His promised rewards.

God needs to test us? He isn't omniscient? God is not with us on our journey?

A cheese scented maze filled with mice, and no exit.

Nah God is with you the whole way trying to guide the mice down the right path, just the mice choose to follow their own directions and chase after false scents.

That would be if it were an accurate characterization.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 10:14:40 PM
At 8/11/2016 8:56:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Needlessly? Yes.

and dispensing various 'tests' which they could never pass in order to achieve His promised rewards.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean it won't be justified as such. He could be omniscient, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this OP, as is whether or not He is with us on 'our' journey, or if we are even on a journey for that matter.

Nah God is with you the whole way trying to guide the mice down the right path, just the mice choose to follow their own directions and chase after false scents.

I feel you are deliberately ignoring the purpose of the posts in favor of your preferred image of God, however in reference to your acknowledgement of my suggestion, the maze is a test, and God is omniscient, making one wonder what the ultimate point is. God doesn't need to 'try' to do anything. Omnipotence has its perks, and if ultimately you are giving your mice the ability to choose their own path, but have your own desired end for them, with punishment being the alternative, that might suggest malevolence in its own right.

Which is the point of the OP.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 10:32:16 PM
At 8/11/2016 10:14:40 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 8/11/2016 8:56:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Needlessly? Yes.

And you can know that any suffering is actually needless?

Of course not, but that doesn't mean it won't be justified as such. He could be omniscient, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this OP, as is whether or not He is with us on 'our' journey, or if we are even on a journey for that matter.

The circumstances always matter.

I feel you are deliberately ignoring the purpose of the posts in favor of your preferred image of God, however in reference to your acknowledgement of my suggestion, the maze is a test, and God is omniscient, making one wonder what the ultimate point is. God doesn't need to 'try' to do anything. Omnipotence has its perks, and if ultimately you are giving your mice the ability to choose their own path, but have your own desired end for them, with punishment being the alternative, that might suggest malevolence in its own right.

Actually I felt just the same with your post. Instead of answering the post you gave a mischaracterization of God.

God has created you for love (aka cheese in your example). Love requires freedom (i.e. the maze). If the mice (us) misuse the maze and chase after things other than the cheese, they get that instead.

The problem is that the original supposition isn't possible for logical reasons.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:18:00 PM

Needlessly? Yes.

I believe the entire reason we have conventions against torture are for that exact understanding of circumstance.

The circumstances always matter.

Actually I felt just the same with your post. Instead of answering the post you gave a mischaracterization of God.

I fail to see how that is the case, if the OP assumes literally from its title God is malevolent, and how we should be have if He is. "How could He" is a moot point to that.

God has created you for love (aka cheese in your example). Love requires freedom (i.e. the maze). If the mice (us) misuse the maze and chase after things other than the cheese, they get that instead.

I fail to see how that runs contrary to my suggestion regarding malevolence, a maze with no exit, suffering, and desires of the mice.

The problem is that the original supposition isn't possible for logical reasons.

Those being?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:27:14 PM
At 8/11/2016 11:18:00 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Needlessly? Yes.

I believe the entire reason we have conventions against torture are for that exact understanding of circumstance.

In a naturalistic sense yes. In a spiritual sense perhaps not. If God's goal for us is beyond natural and in whatever sense permitting suffering helps that individual and those around them to attain that goal, then the suffering is not senseless.

Now since you are not God, it is not within your authority to torture somebody else.

I fail to see how that is the case, if the OP assumes literally from its title God is malevolent, and how we should be have if He is. "How could He" is a moot point to that.

It is like saying how assuming a square has 6 sides. I noted that it is an illogical / nonsensical assumption to begin with.

I fail to see how that runs contrary to my suggestion regarding malevolence, a maze with no exit, suffering, and desires of the mice.

It is not possible for love to exist without the ability to reject that love. In fact it is pretty tough to actually love without suffering for it.

Those being?

God is not a being, but rather being itself. There is nothing beyond God and thus God must be fully self satisfying. Good is defined as that which is in accordance with God's will. Thus a malevolent God would be acting against his own will - which is impossible.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:54:11 PM
At 8/11/2016 11:27:14 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 8/11/2016 11:18:00 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Needlessly? Yes.

In a naturalistic sense yes. In a spiritual sense perhaps not. If God's goal for us is beyond natural and in whatever sense permitting suffering helps that individual and those around them to attain that goal, then the suffering is not senseless.

So, I have suggested an unequivocal example of needless suffering, and your rebuttal hinges on a 'perhaps' and an 'if'. Two conditions of unknown veracity. If God's goal for us is beyond what is natural, putting us in a natural world to figure that out seems patently absurd.

Now since you are not God, it is not within your authority to torture somebody else.

It is however, within God's authority to exorcise love... through torture. Double plus good, that.

It is like saying how assuming a square has 6 sides. I noted that it is an illogical / nonsensical assumption to begin with.

Indeed, you said that, and my address of this is at the conclusion.

It is not possible for love to exist without the ability to reject that love. In fact it is pretty tough to actually love without suffering for it.

Again, I am failing to see how that runs contrary to my suggestions. It would help if you were to stop inserting your own arguments into my example, then acting as though your arguments are part of my example.

Those being?

God is not a being, but rather being itself... There is nothing beyond God and thus God must be fully self satisfying. Good is defined as that which is in accordance with God's will. Thus a malevolent God would be acting against his own will - which is impossible.

Unless it was God's will to be malevolent. If Good is defined as that which is in accordance with God's will, that makes Good arbitrary, as God is allowed to change His mind at any given time. Good and Evil and male/benevolence are totally incoherent concepts if it hinges upon nothing other than God's behavior. It is this reason on the whole while I find God (as described in this instance) to be an irrational concept. Good is whatever God wants. That opens the door for obvious abuse, contradiction, double standards, confusion....
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:09:14 AM
Prove what evil is....Someone who has a rudimentary understanding of logic wouldn't even have enough life to hold their breath before you answer that. Simply asserting your opinion as to what constitutes evil doesn't make for adept reasoning or discussion. You are a joke. How about this, assuming God is an alien what alien God created this God and which alien God created the God of all aliens.....Ahhh. Fuuuuucc"kkkkk it....btw I tell the jokes......
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:39:54 AM
At 8/12/2016 12:09:14 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Prove what evil is....Someone who has a rudimentary understanding of logic wouldn't even have enough life to hold their breath before you answer that. Simply asserting your opinion as to what constitutes evil doesn't make for adept reasoning or discussion. You are a joke. How about this, assuming God is an alien what alien God created this God and which alien God created the God of all aliens.....Ahhh. Fuuuuucc"kkkkk it....btw I tell the jokes......

It's good you clarified that you tell the jokes.

"How about this, assuming God is an alien what alien God created this God and which alien God created the God of all aliens." Your attempt to ring funny failed, but you just swerved into what reason, logic, and critical thinking tell us must be (until we are atheist and can't take it), i.e., Prima Causa.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:24:16 AM
At 8/11/2016 11:54:11 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Unless it was God's will to be malevolent. If Good is defined as that which is in accordance with God's will, that makes Good arbitrary, as God is allowed to change His mind at any given time. Good and Evil and male/benevolence are totally incoherent concepts if it hinges upon nothing other than God's behavior. It is this reason on the whole while I find God (as described in this instance) to be an irrational concept. Good is whatever God wants. That opens the door for obvious abuse, contradiction, double standards, confusion....
+1
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:30:48 PM
At 8/11/2016 6:07:40 PM, Omniverse wrote:

yes we should since He provides the torment place so called hell for disobeying Him.

And there it is, folks.

So deep.

If there were no bad consequence such hell then why on earth would we obey someone or something so called God?

we talks about God, not morality.
we suppose to obey God because He threat us hell for disobeying Him.
However, we are free to choose, obey or disobey. but the consequence would be hell if disobeyed Him.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:39:11 PM
At 8/12/2016 1:30:48 PM, uncung wrote:

And there it is, folks.

So deep.

However, we are free to choose, obey or disobey. but the consequence would be hell if disobeyed Him.

Threats are not choices.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:08:36 PM
At 8/11/2016 9:01:46 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Assuming God is evil requires assuming God exists, which I tend not to do! But if God did exist I would have thougt obeying him would be a good idea whether he was good or bad. Surely disobeying a malevolent God is just dumb because you can't win. You'd have the moral high ground for exactly how long it takes him to smite you with boils or a thunderbolt.

A malevolent person one can fight, and even a malevolent government but not a malevolent God - have you read Pardise Lost?

Logical thinking. But your reason of self preservation is the same whether God is good or bad.

My query was to the assumption within the question. Why does God being good imply that I should obey Him? I mean, it is obvious that the OP does not mean God should be obeyed just because He is good, but because He is a good GOD.

So what is it about God that makes my obedience reasonably expected?

And if God is evil, would He still be God? How does His being evil change the God part that makes my obedience reasonably expected?
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:14:54 PM
At 8/12/2016 1:39:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And there it is, folks.

So deep.

Threats are not choices.

It is a choice. I choose to obey Him while you don't.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:23:06 PM
At 8/12/2016 3:14:54 PM, uncung wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:39:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

And there it is, folks.

So deep.

Threats are not choices.

It is a choice. I choose to obey Him while you don't.

Sorry, but no one is telling me to obey them so there's no choice to make. What you have is an empty threat from a maniacal god, but a threat nonetheless and threats are not choices.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth