Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Simple question.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:36:38 PM
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Very simply, there's no compelling reason or evidence to sufficiently conclude that some god entity exists, let alone possible. Through evaluation of humankind, we have learned that we are abysmal at discerning the truth of the world in which we live. This is why we need structured methods of research and reasoning like science and logic, and why so much of science seems counter-intuitive. We've determined, though psychology, that the human mind tends to seek consistency between held beliefs rather than the truth of those beliefs.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:47:37 PM
Simple question.

Because I avoid accepting things with little or no evidence. I especially avoid believing things (that can't be substantiated) which go against our knowledge of reality.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:45:11 PM
Simple question.

For exactly the same reason that you don't believe Ra (or any of the thousands of other gods) exists.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:35:06 AM
Simple question.
I believe God exists. I just don't believe him to be as arbitrary in his nature as religions depict him to be. I think he loves us, and allows us to be challenged by the conditions of living in the world, but favors behaviors that are charitable - no matter if they are done by believers or atheists.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:37:53 AM
Simple question.

Because the existence of God poses more questions than it answers... a lot more. Because reality comports more with the lack of a deity than the existence of one.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:20:25 AM
At 8/11/2016 11:45:11 PM, dee-em wrote:
Simple question.

For exactly the same reason that you don't believe Ra (or any of the thousands of other gods) exists.

This.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:31:42 AM
Simple question.

Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts, and I want to know not believe.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:08:07 AM
At 8/12/2016 5:31:42 AM, missmedic wrote:
Simple question.

Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts

Nor does science
But hey math is perfectly fine and science is a lot more realistic than faiths.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:09:44 AM
Simple question.

i've seen no compelling evidence or argument for the existence of a supernatural creator, and plenty of evidence that religion is man-made.
imperialchimp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:13:06 AM
Simple question.

which god?

If your talking about the god of Spinoza, yes i believe in him.

If your talking about all the other gods, they seem lack evidence (unless they were aliens).
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:06:09 AM
Simple question.

simple answer, because i haven't seen any evidence for any god.

what convinced you that your specific god is real?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet! ;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:32:04 AM
Simple question.

There is no verifiable evidence it exists.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 9:59:31 AM
Simple question.
For the same reason that I don't believe in Santa Claus, fairies, angels, goblins, witches, ghosts, angels, mermaids, sirens, bigfoot, yeti, unicorns, dragons, elves, genies, imps, leprechauns, wizards, numerology, astrology, acupuncture, chiropractics, naturopathy, clairvoyants, hypnotists...............
They are all total codswallop designed by their inventors to gain power over, or money from, their gullible victims.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
Simple question.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

Any more empty platitudes to share?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Simple question.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

You didn't get the comment about not being older yet. Was that feigned?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:37:18 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM, Throwback wrote:
Simple question.

You are not older yet!

Was it a joke? Then no, I didn't "get it."
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:37:18 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM, Throwback wrote:
Simple question.

You are not older yet!

Was it a joke? Then no, I didn't "get it."

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now. It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:48:57 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM, Throwback wrote:

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now.

I am older now than when I was a child. That is how aging works unless you are Benjamin Button. In fact, that is why I specificly seletced the word "older" instead of "old"; to avoid this type of pedantic quibbling over what it is to be "old." Of course a 50-year-old would find it amusing for a 36-year-old to call himself "old." But I didn't I simply noted two different reasons for why I don't believe in god: one for when I was a child and one for when I was older than a child.

We can argue over what age a person can be to safely call themselves "old" but that's beside the point because I didn't say I was "old." I said I was "older" and I am "older." I am older than I once was. It is a undeniably, objectively true statement that is so trivial it isn't even worth comment that I specific chose to avoid this type of conversation.

So, congratulations for overcoming all of those carefully selected hurdles to pick out the exact kind of irrelevant linguistic debate I tried to avoid. Do you want a cookie? Or perhaps some metamusil?

It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.

I didn't say I was. I didn't know how old you were until I checked just now. I didn't even know you existed until you replied to my comment. I'm sorry if you felt that my post was somehow directed at me saying I was older - in any way - than you are. It was merely noting that I am now, today, older than I used to be, years ago. I apologize if this distinction is bothering you.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:48:57 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM, Throwback wrote:

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now.

I am older now than when I was a child. That is how aging works unless you are Benjamin Button. In fact, that is why I specificly seletced the word "older" instead of "old"; to avoid this type of pedantic quibbling over what it is to be "old." Of course a 50-year-old would find it amusing for a 36-year-old to call himself "old." But I didn't I simply noted two different reasons for why I don't believe in god: one for when I was a child and one for when I was older than a child.

We can argue over what age a person can be to safely call themselves "old" but that's beside the point because I didn't say I was "old." I said I was "older" and I am "older." I am older than I once was. It is a undeniably, objectively true statement that is so trivial it isn't even worth comment that I specific chose to avoid this type of conversation.

So, congratulations for overcoming all of those carefully selected hurdles to pick out the exact kind of irrelevant linguistic debate I tried to avoid. Do you want a cookie? Or perhaps some metamusil?

It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.

I didn't say I was. I didn't know how old you were until I checked just now. I didn't even know you existed until you replied to my comment. I'm sorry if you felt that my post was somehow directed at me saying I was older - in any way - than you are. It was merely noting that I am now, today, older than I used to be, years ago. I apologize if this distinction is bothering you.

You're still not getting it. It. Was. A. Joke. I knew you weren't saying you were older than I. I was having a bit of fun with words. Sorry it was at your expense. I thought it was transparent.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:59:24 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM, Throwback wrote:

You're still not getting it. It. Was. A. Joke. I knew you weren't saying you were older than I. I was having a bit of fun with words. Sorry it was at your expense. I thought it was transparent.

Nope. It was neither transparent nor funny. Better luck next time, I suppose.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 2:18:06 PM
Simple question.

Complete and utter lack of any evidence to support the assertion. In any court he would be declared legally dead.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 2:25:53 PM
Simple question.

You are not older yet! ;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Fear of death can indeed cause irrational behavior. That does not obviate the complete lack of evidence for any supernatural being, let alone an omnipotent, omniscient creator god.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:02:56 PM
At 8/12/2016 12:59:24 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM, Throwback wrote:

Nope. It was neither transparent nor funny. Better luck next time, I suppose.

OK
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:09:41 PM
At 8/12/2016 2:25:53 PM, dhardage wrote:
Simple question.

Fear of death can indeed cause irrational behavior. That does not obviate the complete lack of evidence for any supernatural being, let alone an omnipotent, omniscient creator god.

OK
jesusismywarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:28:13 PM
Simple question.

I believe God exists, because I have faith. He's our loving Father, and our Saviour.
Mark 10:44-45 "44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:19:48 PM
At 8/12/2016 5:28:13 PM, jesusismywarrior wrote:
Simple question.

I believe God exists, because I have faith. He's our loving Father, and our Saviour.

I hope your delusions keep you happy.