Total Posts:119|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why don't you believe God exists?

NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Simple question.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Chaosism
Posts: 2,742
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:36:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Very simply, there's no compelling reason or evidence to sufficiently conclude that some god entity exists, let alone possible. Through evaluation of humankind, we have learned that we are abysmal at discerning the truth of the world in which we live. This is why we need structured methods of research and reasoning like science and logic, and why so much of science seems counter-intuitive. We've determined, though psychology, that the human mind tends to seek consistency between held beliefs rather than the truth of those beliefs.
Skepticalone
Posts: 7,081
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 6:47:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Because I avoid accepting things with little or no evidence. I especially avoid believing things (that can't be substantiated) which go against our knowledge of reality.
The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible. - Salman Rushdie

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
dee-em
Posts: 8,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 11:45:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

For exactly the same reason that you don't believe Ra (or any of the thousands of other gods) exists.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.
Emmarie
Posts: 1,909
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:35:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.
I believe God exists. I just don't believe him to be as arbitrary in his nature as religions depict him to be. I think he loves us, and allows us to be challenged by the conditions of living in the world, but favors behaviors that are charitable - no matter if they are done by believers or atheists.
Fly
Posts: 2,624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 1:37:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Because the existence of God poses more questions than it answers... a lot more. Because reality comports more with the lack of a deity than the existence of one.
"If you say you pray to God, that makes you normal. But if you say you pray to God through your hair dryer, you are clearly a lunatic. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ridiculous or offensive."
-Sam Harris
bulproof
Posts: 29,474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:20:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 11:45:11 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

For exactly the same reason that you don't believe Ra (or any of the thousands of other gods) exists.

This.
No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.
George Bernard Shaw
missmedic
Posts: 486
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:31:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts, and I want to know not believe.
imperialchimp
Posts: 395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:08:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 5:31:42 AM, missmedic wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts

Nor does science
But hey math is perfectly fine and science is a lot more realistic than faiths.
Stronn
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:09:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

i've seen no compelling evidence or argument for the existence of a supernatural creator, and plenty of evidence that religion is man-made.
imperialchimp
Posts: 395
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 6:13:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

which god?

If your talking about the god of Spinoza, yes i believe in him.

If your talking about all the other gods, they seem lack evidence (unless they were aliens).
DanMGTOW
Posts: 1,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:06:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

simple answer, because i haven't seen any evidence for any god.

what convinced you that your specific god is real?
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet! ;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
tarantula
Posts: 1,555
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:32:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

There is no verifiable evidence it exists.
Willows
Posts: 5,840
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 9:59:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.
For the same reason that I don't believe in Santa Claus, fairies, angels, goblins, witches, ghosts, angels, mermaids, sirens, bigfoot, yeti, unicorns, dragons, elves, genies, imps, leprechauns, wizards, numerology, astrology, acupuncture, chiropractics, naturopathy, clairvoyants, hypnotists...............
They are all total codswallop designed by their inventors to gain power over, or money from, their gullible victims.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

Any more empty platitudes to share?
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

Any more empty platitudes to share?

You didn't get the comment about not being older yet. Was that feigned?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:37:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

Any more empty platitudes to share?

You didn't get the comment about not being older yet. Was that feigned?

Was it a joke? Then no, I didn't "get it."
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:37:18 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:32:56 PM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:15:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet!

Yes I am. I move in the direction of the same arrow of time as everyone else. I am necessarily older than I was.

;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Such "faith" is opportunitistic and false. Regardless, the question is why I don't believe in the present tense, that is: now. I doubt I would ever believe. Even some deathbed pleading would merely be panicked desperation, not true belief.

Any more empty platitudes to share?

You didn't get the comment about not being older yet. Was that feigned?

Was it a joke? Then no, I didn't "get it."

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now. It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:48:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM, Throwback wrote:

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now.

I am older now than when I was a child. That is how aging works unless you are Benjamin Button. In fact, that is why I specificly seletced the word "older" instead of "old"; to avoid this type of pedantic quibbling over what it is to be "old." Of course a 50-year-old would find it amusing for a 36-year-old to call himself "old." But I didn't I simply noted two different reasons for why I don't believe in god: one for when I was a child and one for when I was older than a child.

We can argue over what age a person can be to safely call themselves "old" but that's beside the point because I didn't say I was "old." I said I was "older" and I am "older." I am older than I once was. It is a undeniably, objectively true statement that is so trivial it isn't even worth comment that I specific chose to avoid this type of conversation.

So, congratulations for overcoming all of those carefully selected hurdles to pick out the exact kind of irrelevant linguistic debate I tried to avoid. Do you want a cookie? Or perhaps some metamusil?

It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.

I didn't say I was. I didn't know how old you were until I checked just now. I didn't even know you existed until you replied to my comment. I'm sorry if you felt that my post was somehow directed at me saying I was older - in any way - than you are. It was merely noting that I am now, today, older than I used to be, years ago. I apologize if this distinction is bothering you.
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:48:57 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:41:36 PM, Throwback wrote:

LOL...when you put that in your reply I do a couple of seconds of detective work. I see someone very young saying they are older now.

I am older now than when I was a child. That is how aging works unless you are Benjamin Button. In fact, that is why I specificly seletced the word "older" instead of "old"; to avoid this type of pedantic quibbling over what it is to be "old." Of course a 50-year-old would find it amusing for a 36-year-old to call himself "old." But I didn't I simply noted two different reasons for why I don't believe in god: one for when I was a child and one for when I was older than a child.

We can argue over what age a person can be to safely call themselves "old" but that's beside the point because I didn't say I was "old." I said I was "older" and I am "older." I am older than I once was. It is a undeniably, objectively true statement that is so trivial it isn't even worth comment that I specific chose to avoid this type of conversation.

So, congratulations for overcoming all of those carefully selected hurdles to pick out the exact kind of irrelevant linguistic debate I tried to avoid. Do you want a cookie? Or perhaps some metamusil?

It's not a rebuttal of anything you offered, merely an observation. I remember thinking that way in my youth as well. It was levity for the sake of civility-you are very much not-older than I.

I didn't say I was. I didn't know how old you were until I checked just now. I didn't even know you existed until you replied to my comment. I'm sorry if you felt that my post was somehow directed at me saying I was older - in any way - than you are. It was merely noting that I am now, today, older than I used to be, years ago. I apologize if this distinction is bothering you.

You're still not getting it. It. Was. A. Joke. I knew you weren't saying you were older than I. I was having a bit of fun with words. Sorry it was at your expense. I thought it was transparent.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Posts: 3,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 12:59:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM, Throwback wrote:

You're still not getting it. It. Was. A. Joke. I knew you weren't saying you were older than I. I was having a bit of fun with words. Sorry it was at your expense. I thought it was transparent.

Nope. It was neither transparent nor funny. Better luck next time, I suppose.
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 2:18:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

Complete and utter lack of any evidence to support the assertion. In any court he would be declared legally dead.
dhardage
Posts: 4,546
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 2:25:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet! ;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Fear of death can indeed cause irrational behavior. That does not obviate the complete lack of evidence for any supernatural being, let alone an omnipotent, omniscient creator god.
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:02:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 12:59:24 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/12/2016 12:57:53 PM, Throwback wrote:

You're still not getting it. It. Was. A. Joke. I knew you weren't saying you were older than I. I was having a bit of fun with words. Sorry it was at your expense. I thought it was transparent.

Nope. It was neither transparent nor funny. Better luck next time, I suppose.

OK
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
Throwback
Posts: 422
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:09:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 2:25:53 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 8/12/2016 7:11:18 AM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/12/2016 1:28:38 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I was not indoctrinated by my parents to believe in a god while young and have yet to be exposed to compelling evidence or argument to believe in a god while older.

You are not older yet! ;) Think about this if you happen to know you are at death's door in 40 years or so. Terminal illness can make faithful people out of atheists.

Fear of death can indeed cause irrational behavior. That does not obviate the complete lack of evidence for any supernatural being, let alone an omnipotent, omniscient creator god.

OK
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
jesusismywarrior
Posts: 78
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 5:28:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I believe God exists, because I have faith. He's our loving Father, and our Saviour.
Mark 10:44-45 "44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
desmac
Posts: 5,096
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 7:19:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/12/2016 5:28:13 PM, jesusismywarrior wrote:
At 8/11/2016 5:28:06 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Simple question.

I believe God exists, because I have faith. He's our loving Father, and our Saviour.

I hope your delusions keep you happy.