Jump to topic:

An irresponsible attituide towards God

bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 5:52:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Its seems quite often around here that people blame God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen. Do these same people also blame other people for their problems or lack of success instead of themselves? I'm just curious what causes one to blame a God they don't even believe in to say some of the ridiculous things that are said around here.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:45:10 AM
At 8/13/2016 5:52:57 AM, bigotry wrote:
Its seems quite often around here that people blame God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen.

Yes, and there are far more people who praise God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen.

Do these same people also blame other people for their problems or lack of success instead of themselves?

Of course not, they are simply pointing out the hypocrisy of praising God.

I'm just curious what causes one to blame a God they don't even believe in to say some of the ridiculous things that are said around here.

It's like relating to a child who has an invisible friend, you play along with them.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:15:05 AM
Its seems quite often around here that people blame God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen. Do these same people also blame other people for their problems or lack of success instead of themselves? I'm just curious what causes one to blame a God they don't even believe in to say some of the ridiculous things that are said around here.

"They" don't believe in a God but "they" blame him for stuff.

Do you realize the incoherence of what you are saying?

Atheists often argue against specific doctrine in the Bible, accepting for the sake of argument that God exists and said and did the things recorded. There is nothing wrong with accepting certain premises to formulate a reasoned argument even if there is no personal belief in those premises. That's exactly where the idiom bolded comes from.

It would be absurd to suggest that only believers can make arguments based on scripture (assuming it is the word of God). By that same token no denier of evolution could ever formulate an argument against evolution because they don't believe in it. Is that what you want?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:21:15 AM

I don't blame god for anything as I don't believe it exists. However if it does exist, and is responsible for creation then of course it would be to blame for everything bad!
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 10:17:01 AM

If that's what you think you could be suffering from a persecution complex, mild paranoia and delusional tendencies. I think the technical term is "religious belief".
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 12:36:27 PM
At 8/13/2016 10:17:01 AM, Willows wrote:

If that's what you think you could be suffering from a persecution complex, mild paranoia and delusional tendencies. I think the technical term is "religious belief".

Yes, atheists are now online psychologists lol, it's happening everywhere... delusional this delusional that, mentally ill this mentally ill that, lying about this lying about that. Maybe I should join in the fun, I'd probably be better at this game than you though, I just don't enjoy hurting people's feelings.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 1:13:12 PM
At 8/13/2016 12:36:27 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Yes, atheists are now online psychologists lol, it's happening everywhere... delusional this delusional that, mentally ill this mentally ill that, lying about this lying about that. Maybe I should join in the fun, I'd probably be better at this game than you though, I just don't enjoy hurting people's feelings.

Give a theist an inch and he'll take a mile. Who's saying ridiculous things?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 1:54:49 PM

That's not what I have observed around here.
Theists, especially some Christians, take the lead on all of that.

Your vitriole against atheism and atheists at large has only gotten worse.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 2:38:07 PM

You have been part of this "game" already, offering up delusions and lies on a continuous basis. Are you saying your feelings are hurt when these are being called out? Why not just try being honest instead?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 3:07:39 PM

The only people that could blame god for anything are theists. Atheists and agnostics don't blame anyone because there is nobody to blame.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:16:37 PM
At 8/13/2016 6:45:10 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Its seems quite often around here that people blame God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen.

Yes, and there are far more people who praise God for choices the human race and many individuals have chosen.

Like what?

Do these same people also blame other people for their problems or lack of success instead of themselves?

I'm just curious what causes one to blame a God they don't even believe in to say some of the ridiculous things that are said around here.

It's like relating to a child who has an invisible friend, you play along with them.
So essentially the people saying things about a being they dont believe in are just being malicious.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:27:45 PM
At 8/13/2016 7:15:05 AM, dee-em wrote:

Atheists often argue against specific doctrine in the Bible, accepting for the sake of argument that God exists and said and did the things recorded. There is nothing wrong with accepting certain premises to formulate a reasoned argument even if there is no personal belief in those premises. That's exactly where the idiom bolded comes from.

It would be absurd to suggest that only believers can make arguments based on scripture (assuming it is the word of God). By that same token no denier of evolution could ever formulate an argument against evolution because they don't believe in it. Is that what you want?

Im not talking about the people you described above. It would be as if I injected my own understanding into evolutionary theory without consulting what the actual evolutionists are saying. So in other words many people will blindly make a comment on a subject they took no time to understand in the first place. When I started a topic long ago for example on the inherent racism of an evolutionary world, i merely pulled from the founders teachings and beliefs. Modern evolutionists reject this Idea because scientifically theres not an imbalance in what various races of humankind can do vs others. The founders only thought this because it was a logical step to them. Modern scientists dont deny that it was, but since those days the view has changed and I accept that
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:27:59 PM

The God of Abraham has a pretty solid deal going-- the good things are a credit solely to Him even if humans did all the legwork, and the bad things are all someone else's fault. It is written: "Heads I win; tails you lose."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:29:06 PM
At 8/13/2016 6:16:37 PM, bigotry wrote:
At 8/13/2016 6:45:10 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Like what?

So essentially the people saying things about a being they dont believe in are just being malicious.

No, like I said, they're just trying to relate to folks who have invisible friends, you know, play along with them so they can relate to the topic.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:29:37 PM

This quote is a fine example. Willows has taken no time at all to understand what Im conveying and has jumped to insults rather than appealing to intellect.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:52:17 PM

I don't use 'If God exists' arguments myself, Bigs, because I think any claim to existence is not just false, but invalid. But most atheists think 'God exists' is valid, but either improbable or outright false. So let me talk about them.

It can be hard for the faithful to understand that when atheists are talking about God, they're not talking about a person so much as a theological claim to intellectual and/or moral authority. Though they don't believe in God as a person, they generally believe the claim exists, since various forms of the claim have been used to formulate laws, cement rule, and direct or influence human behaviour.

Thus, any challenge about God's intention, capability, purpose or morality isn't about the virtues of a real person so much as the cohesion, consistency, and evidentiary and ethical accountability of the claim.

By way of context, in the US, some 70% of atheists are formerly of faith, yet only about 40% of atheists talk to the faithful much about their lack of belief at all. Of those who do, only a few are systematically critical. But from my own experience, the area they're most critical of are theological claims to moral and intellectual authority. Some (like myself, though I'm not from the US) are concerned about the cruelty, disrespect and superstition underlying the claim, but many more have had direct, frustrating and often hurtful personal experience with unethical theology.

So.. that's why that argument is often used. It has nothing to do with the nature of God, but everything to do with adherents using questionable claims to authority to try and order the lives of others to validate their own doctrinal beliefs.

I hope that may be useful.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:57:06 PM
At 8/13/2016 3:07:39 PM, matt8800 wrote:

The only people that could blame god for anything are theists. Atheists and agnostics don't blame anyone because there is nobody to blame.
Agreed.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:00:30 PM
At 8/13/2016 6:52:17 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

I don't use 'If God exists' arguments myself, Bigs, because I think any claim to existence is not just false, but invalid. But most atheists think 'God exists' is valid, but either improbable or outright false. So let me talk about them.

It can be hard for the faithful to understand that when atheists are talking about God, they're not talking about a person so much as a theological claim to intellectual and/or moral authority. Though they don't believe in God as a person, they generally believe the claim exists, since various forms of the claim have been used to formulate laws, cement rule, and direct or influence human behaviour.

Thus, any challenge about God's intention, capability, purpose or morality isn't about the virtues of a real person so much as the cohesion, consistency, and evidentiary and ethical accountability of the claim.

By way of context, in the US, some 70% of atheists are formerly of faith, yet only about 40% of atheists talk to the faithful much about their lack of belief at all. Of those who do, only a few are systematically critical. But from my own experience, the area they're most critical of are theological claims to moral and intellectual authority. Some (like myself, though I'm not from the US) are concerned about the cruelty, disrespect and superstition underlying the claim, but many more have had direct, frustrating and often hurtful personal experience with unethical theology.

So.. that's why that argument is often used. It has nothing to do with the nature of God, but everything to do with adherents using questionable claims to authority to try and order the lives of others to validate their own doctrinal beliefs.

I hope that may be useful.

Sure is, Im not starting or engaging in debate in this thread just getting a consensus. Its interesting for sure.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:27:32 PM
At 8/13/2016 6:27:59 PM, Fly wrote:

The God of Abraham has a pretty solid deal going-- the good things are a credit solely to Him even if humans did all the legwork, and the bad things are all someone else's fault. It is written: "Heads I win; tails you lose."

Exactly.
Just the other day MCB offered a shinning example of this duplicity:

- When people have food on their plates, God should be praised. Folks should say grace.
- When other people don't and starve or suffer from malnutrition, humanity is to be blamed for building such an imperfect food distribution system.

Brilliant.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:58:54 PM
I think atheists occasionally use language that can seem like they are critcising an existing entity they don't approve of.

One example chosen at random: "The Christian God would just as soon kill and torture us like a boy burns ants with a magnifying glass for entertainment. Apparently, he purposely makes people with the full knowledge he will burn and torture them for the crime of being born into the wrong religion."

I'd say coming across as a god-hater rather than a god-disbeliever is very easily done.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:07:28 AM
At 8/13/2016 6:27:45 PM, bigotry wrote:

Im not talking about the people you described above. It would be as if I injected my own understanding into evolutionary theory without consulting what the actual evolutionists are saying.

You could read any introductory textbook on the theory of evolution and then start discussing intelligently what that particular text says. You wouldn't need to "consult" with other evolutionists. Similarly an atheist should be able to read the one textbook on Christianity and then start discussing intelligenly what the text is saying. The book is complete and self-contained. No extraneous commentary or subjective interpretation is required.

The problem with your analogy is that evolutionary biology is a science. Once you start delving into the intricacies of how evolution works you need some training in biology, ie. specialist knowledge. No one textbook could ever hope to encapsulate everything needed to understand every aspect of evolution. That is not true with religion. The Bible was meant to be the handbook by which every human has a relationship with God. No extraneous material is required. There is no specialist knowledge necessary through which to filter the message. (This would not be true if we wanted to understand the Bible as a historical document, but that is a separate issue).

So in other words many people will blindly make a comment on a subject they took no time to understand in the first place.

If reading the text does not impart that understanding then the problem is the text. Getting someone else's subjective interpretation of what that same text means might be interesting but it certainly isn't mandatory. This is especially true when dealing with a text which is purportedly written as a literal account.

When I started a topic long ago for example on the inherent racism of an evolutionary world, i merely pulled from the founders teachings and beliefs. Modern evolutionists reject this Idea because scientifically theres not an imbalance in what various races of humankind can do vs others. The founders only thought this because it was a logical step to them. Modern scientists dont deny that it was, but since those days the view has changed and I accept that.

I fail to see what the above has to do with the OP or the preceding discussion. You seem to have been engaging in an argument about the consequences of belief in evolutionary theory. How is this in any way related to reading a text and critiquing the contents?
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 1:54:24 AM
At 8/14/2016 1:07:28 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/13/2016 6:27:45 PM, bigotry wrote:

Im not talking about the people you described above. It would be as if I injected my own understanding into evolutionary theory without consulting what the actual evolutionists are saying.

You could read any introductory textbook on the theory of evolution and then start discussing intelligently what that particular text says. You wouldn't need to "consult" with other evolutionists. Similarly an atheist should be able to read the one textbook on Christianity and then start discussing intelligenly what the text is saying. The book is complete and self-contained. No extraneous commentary or subjective interpretation is required.

Sure one can discuss superficial things by consulting an introductory textbook and there are certain concepts that can be discussed but when it comes to discussing the specifics one needs to be familiar with current thought and that's found in the text of scientific journals and studies. Even more so one needs to be familiar with the sciences itself or else youll just be stuck trying to appeal to logic and logic isn't always the same as truth.

The problem with your analogy is that evolutionary biology is a science. Once you start delving into the intricacies of how evolution works you need some training in biology, ie. specialist knowledge. No one textbook could ever hope to encapsulate everything needed to understand every aspect of evolution. That is not true with religion. The Bible was meant to be the handbook by which every human has a relationship with God. No extraneous material is required. There is no specialist knowledge necessary through which to filter the message. (This would not be true if we wanted to understand the Bible as a historical document, but that is a separate issue).
I agree with this except that simply having a bible is enough because it isn't when it comes to the intricacies of how God works and what he has to say and the authors therein. For example almost none of the bible can be understood without a basic knowledge of the history when said text was written. If we want to understand Ezekiel for example, we do need to know what was going on when it was written, who the author was directing his words to, ect ect. The basics of course like theres one God and you are to worship him and things like this are elementary but its the deeper things of the bible my above point is directed at.

So in other words many people will blindly make a comment on a subject they took no time to understand in the first place.

If reading the text does not impart that understanding then the problem is the text. Getting someone else's subjective interpretation of what that same text means might be interesting but it certainly isn't mandatory. This is especially true when dealing with a text which is purportedly written as a literal account.

This is the thing though. While some is a literal account, some isn't, especially when it comes to certain expressions or descriptions. But I'm sure your already well familiar with my position on this.

When I started a topic long ago for example on the inherent racism of an evolutionary world, i merely pulled from the founders teachings and beliefs. Modern evolutionists reject this Idea because scientifically theres not an imbalance in what various races of humankind can do vs others. The founders only thought this because it was a logical step to them. Modern scientists dont deny that it was, but since those days the view has changed and I accept that.

I fail to see what the above has to do with the OP or the preceding discussion. You seem to have been engaging in an argument about the consequences of belief in evolutionary theory. How is this in any way related to reading a text and critiquing the contents?
Its related in that to understand what the scientists said then had a context to it that's different than today. Maybe it wasn't a perfect analogy.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 2:17:33 AM

It seems to be extremism and cherry-picking. I have nothing against any atheist who disbelieves in God, but for so many neo-atheists the question of God's existence is more emotional than it is physical, and too many actually seem to espouse the idea that skepticism of God is a personal calling. They actually appear to display feelings of being hurt when their conclusions aren't accepted.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:23:33 AM
At 8/14/2016 2:17:33 AM, Idealist wrote:

It seems to be extremism and cherry-picking. I have nothing against any atheist who disbelieves in God, but for so many neo-atheists the question of God's existence is more emotional than it is physical, and too many actually seem to espouse the idea that skepticism of God is a personal calling. They actually appear to display feelings of being hurt when their conclusions aren't accepted.

YES, its the emotional parts that always throw me off. You would think a scientifical mind would approach things without emotion.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 4:25:20 AM
At 8/13/2016 6:29:37 PM, bigotry wrote:

This quote is a fine example. Willows has taken no time at all to understand what Im conveying and has jumped to insults rather than appealing to intellect.

For once you are almost correct.
Yes, this quote is a fine example.
Yes, it took me no time at all to understand what you were conveying.
No, I didn't jump to insults, you did. I was merely using euphemisms in making an observation.
Yes, I was not appealing to intellect.

You're getting better, that's 3 out of 4 right.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 5:07:02 AM
At 8/14/2016 4:25:20 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/13/2016 6:29:37 PM, bigotry wrote:

For once you are almost correct.
Yes, this quote is a fine example.
Yes, it took me no time at all to understand what you were conveying.
No, I didn't jump to insults, you did. I was merely using euphemisms in making an observation.
Yes, I was not appealing to intellect.

You're getting better, that's 3 out of 4 right.
another empty internet based reply.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 6:48:06 AM

You have a misplaced "a".
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 6:49:31 AM
At 8/14/2016 3:23:33 AM, bigotry wrote:

YES, its the emotional parts that always throw me off. You would think a scientifical mind would approach things without emotion.
Science and atheism are unrelated.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:34:06 PM
At 8/14/2016 6:49:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/14/2016 3:23:33 AM, bigotry wrote:

Science and atheism are unrelated.
Im not talking about real scientifical atheist, Im talking about atheists that pretend to be scientifical but dont take that approach just to give you some clairity.