Jump to topic:

Christians stumped by dictionary.

Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 8:33:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Jesus was tried, convicted and crucified.

Simple Definition of crucifixion
an act of killing someone by nailing or tying his or her hands and feet to a cross : an act of crucifying someone
the Crucifixion : the killing of Jesus Christ on a cross

Full Definition of crucifixion
a capitalized : the crucifying of Christ
b : the act of crucifying
extreme and painful punishment, affliction, or suffering

Full Definition ofpunishment
the act of punishing
a : suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution
b : a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure
severe, rough, or disastrous treatment

Put together. The trial, conviction ended with the crucifying of Christ which was a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 8:58:10 PM
So your argument is basically that Jesus was tried and punished for crimes against the state, and because Jesus was a criminal that invalidates the Gospel?

Maybe I am stumped, but not by the dictionary.. I think I'm more confused by what you are trying to say. It sounds to me like you are invoking some type of idol of the state or judicial process, which is a very pagan thing to do.

That's what it looks like to me, so correct me if I'm wrong.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:24:13 PM
Oh look...the lunatic is at it again, he just can't help himself. Smear Jesus! defame Jesus! all Hari can do is trash talk Jesus, he is completely obsessed with it.

Yes, how else would the Jews have murdered Jesus but to peg Him with "blasphemy"...what a joke, how long did they temp and follow Him around just to trap Him to take His life? He had to be killed one way or another as a sacrifice, it WAS a sacrifice because Jesus preordained it and went in to it by His own choice and you cannot get around that, you're only purpose is to strip the sacrifice of it's meaning, because you know you have to reject it but you cannot take away the sacrifice, not possible you will only be shamed in doing so because you are a liar and lunatic.

Let's not forget they could find no fault in Jesus, tried to tempt and set Him up over and over he WAS blameless. Finally the only scrap of crumbs they could muster up was to nail Him for blasphemy, which had to happen anyways because of the prophesy, that was the golden key, Jesus actually committed no crime speaking the truth, He spoke and carried out what had to happen, He preordained it, which makes it more than a criminal charge, Jesus was sacrificed for the truth. He made all things new.

Philippians 2
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

IT WAS A SACRIFICE, get over Hari and represent your own beliefs. This is not your forte.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 11:52:57 PM
At 8/14/2016 8:58:10 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
So your argument is basically that Jesus was tried and punished for crimes against the state, and because Jesus was a criminal that invalidates the Gospel?

Maybe I am stumped, but not by the dictionary.. I think I'm more confused by what you are trying to say. It sounds to me like you are invoking some type of idol of the state or judicial process, which is a very pagan thing to do.

That's what it looks like to me, so correct me if I'm wrong.

It is the Gospels that tells us Jesus was tried, convicted and crucified for his blasphemous lies. Jesus was a lunatic too according to the Gospels.

John 10:20 Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?"

Mark 3:21 when his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

Jesus was deluded and believed God spoke through him.
John 12:49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.

But when the people listened to the words he spoke they did not understand him, even his disciples struggled to understand him. Jesus had to explain to them in secret what he was saying in his parables. But he explained with more parables which suggests God was also incoherent and inarticulate and failed to communicate through Jesus. But we know God turned Moses who was slow in speech and mind into a leader and messenger. The problem was Jesus not God.

Mark 4:34 He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

Jesus was a notorious liar. Even John the Baptist expressed his doubts to Jesus and asked Jesus if he was really the promised one.
Jesus lied when he said John the Baptist was Elijah. John denied he was Elijah.

Here are the scriptures to back my claims. Jesus said John was Elijah, John denies he is Elijah.

Matthew 11:14
And if you are willing to accept what I say, he is Elijah, the one the prophets said would come.

In John 1:6"8 and John 1:19"28, John the Baptist denies he is Elijah. Yet in Matthew 17:9"13, Jesus implies that he was. Isn't this a contradiction?

John 1:21"They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No."

John expresses doubts Jesus is the promised one.
Matthew 11:2"When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3"to ask him, "Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?"

Jesus expresses his own doubts on the cross.

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?").

We know Jesus was crucified for his blasphemous lies.
Jesus did not fulfill any prophesies. By his own account he did not come to change the laws of the prophets. He proved he was subjected to the laws even in his life and thereby validating the Mosaic law given to the Jews by God.
According to the Jewish law:
Deuteronomy 18:20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death."

It is clear Jesus did not fulfill the prophesies. Instead, He was subjected to the law and put to death as demanded of false prophets according to Mosaic law.

Jesus lied that he was to be sacrificed.

Human sacrifice was forbidden by God. So Jesus was not sacrificed.

Many argue Jesus's death was prophesied. But even Jesus's prophesies were not fulfilled.

1. Matthew 10:23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Jesus never fulfilled that promise.

2. Matthew 24:34
Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

2000 years have passed and many generation have gone by yet his promise remains unfulfilled.

Jesus was a liar and a lunatic before and after his death. Unfortunately he could only be crucified once.

So why are Christians turning God into a liar and lunatic or turning a liar and lunatic into a God?

As a Vedantist raised in the Vedantuc tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalist, I am not at liberty to speculate outside of scriptures. And the scriptures are clear that Jesus was tried, convicted and put to death for his blasphemous lies and lunacy.

So why are Christians perpetrating the delusions of a Jewish rabbi who was put to death for his delusional blasphemous lies?

We have to turn to our experts in tbe field of human behaviour. As a student of the behavioural sciences (CBT) I have also explored a diagnostic approach.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness - Huffington Post
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:13:43 AM
At 8/14/2016 11:52:57 PM, Harikrish wrote:

We have to turn to our experts in tbe field of human behaviour. As a student of the behavioural sciences (CBT) I have also explored a diagnostic approach.

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness - Huffington Post

And did Hari and Kathleen get together to decide "Hinduism" is not included in that research, what a hypocrite.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:38:55 AM
At 8/15/2016 12:13:43 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

And did Hari and Kathleen get together to decide "Hinduism" is not included in that research, what a hypocrite.

" About Hinduism, Wikipedia says: Hinduism is a conglomeration of distinct intellectual or philosophical points of view, rather than a rigid set of beliefs, thus the basic definition of fundamentalism cannot apply to Hinduism as a whole. "
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:00:22 AM
At 8/15/2016 12:38:55 AM, Harikrish wrote:

" About Hinduism, Wikipedia says: Hinduism is a conglomeration of distinct intellectual or philosophical points of view, rather than a rigid set of beliefs, thus the basic definition of fundamentalism cannot apply to Hinduism as a whole. "

That didn't answer the question, read that again.

Christianity is also not a religious set of beliefs, shall I share with you the definitions of Christianity??
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:03:43 AM
To deny "Hinduism" of it's principles, is to deny Christianity of it's principles.... do they both not share "principles'?
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:17:51 AM
At 8/14/2016 8:33:04 PM, Harikrish wrote:

an act of killing someone by nailing or tying his or her hands and feet to a cross : an act of crucifying someone

the act of punishing

Put together. The trial, conviction ended with the crucifying of Christ which was a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure

As a Christian, I fully understand and agree with these definitions.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:05:52 AM
Not convinced that the dictionary is against my beliefs.

Not only was Jesus persecuted and crucified, but he said that his disciples should expect persecution

What makes things even clearer is that you can preach nothing but The Truth, and tell people that it is The Truth and The Ultimate Reality that will save them, but they will still persecute you.

It should be obvious that the people who are persecuting Christ know not what they do. Even if they are knowingly suppressing truth, it only shows that they worship idols and have allowed their idolatry to get in the way. They do not love humanity, and it is because of this that it is reasonable to believe that they are not on the side of humanity. They do not understand the Gospel that Jesus preached, and they do not understand that in condemning Jesus, they condemn themselves. For the good news is that we are justified by our sincere faith, and that the peacemakers will be known as the children of God. They blaspheme the very gospel that justifies allowing these deniers of truth to live. It is charity that allows those who deny the truth to live until they come to terms with it. If it wasn't for the blood of Jesus, those who deny The Truth would be executed, regardless of whether or not they understood what that means or not. If not for the blood of Jesus, these blasphemers would be chopped up and fed to the pigs.

"Who do you say I am?" asked Jesus. When you read or hear the words of Jesus, who do you say that he is? The Spirit of Truth reveals who is speaking, and The One who speaks is God our savior.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:25:23 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:00:22 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 8/15/2016 12:38:55 AM, Harikrish wrote:

That didn't answer the question, read that again.

Christianity is also not a religious set of beliefs, shall I share with you the definitions of Christianity??

Christianity is based on a set of rigid beliefs which makes Christians fundamentalist. The same goes with the other Abrahmic religions.

Christianity Central Beliefs

"The central teachings of traditional Christianity are that Jesus is the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; that his life on earth, his crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension into heaven are proof of God's love for humanity and God's forgiveness of human sins; and that by faith in Jesus one may attain salvation and eternal life (see creed). This teaching is embodied in the Bible, specifically in the New Testament, but Christians accept also the Old Testament as sacred and authoritative Scripture."
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:36:07 AM
At 8/15/2016 2:05:52 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Not only was Jesus persecuted and crucified, but he said that his disciples should expect persecution

What makes things even clearer is that you can preach nothing but The Truth, and tell people that it is The Truth and The Ultimate Reality that will save them, but they will still persecute you.

It should be obvious that the people who are persecuting Christ know not what they do. Even if they are knowingly suppressing truth, it only shows that they worship idols and have allowed their idolatry to get in the way. They do not love humanity, and it is because of this that it is reasonable to believe that they are not on the side of humanity. They do not understand the Gospel that Jesus preached, and they do not understand that in condemning Jesus, they condemn themselves. For the good news is that we are justified by our sincere faith, and that the peacemakers will be known as the children of God. They blaspheme the very gospel that justifies allowing these deniers of truth to live. It is charity that allows those who deny the truth to live until they come to terms with it. If it wasn't for the blood of Jesus, those who deny The Truth would be executed, regardless of whether or not they understood what that means or not. If not for the blood of Jesus, these blasphemers would be chopped up and fed to the pigs.

"Who do you say I am?" asked Jesus. When you read or hear the words of Jesus, who do you say that he is? The Spirit of Truth reveals who is speaking, and The One who speaks is God our savior.

Peter was the only one who offered a guess. He said Jesus was the Christ. But did he believe Jesus was sent by God? If Peter feared God and really believed Jesus was the Christ, would he have lied the very next day denying knowing Jesus?

Luke 22:54-62English Standard Version (ESV)

Peter Denies Jesus
54 Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priest's house, and Peter was following at a distance. 55 And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat down among them. 56 Then a servant girl, seeing him as he sat in the light and looking closely at him, said, "This man also was with him." 57 But he denied it, saying, "Woman, I do not know him." 58 And a little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." But Peter said, "Man, I am not." 59 And after an interval of about an hour still another insisted, saying, "Certainly this man also was with him, for he too is a Galilean." 60 But Peter said, "Man, I do not know what you are talking about." And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, "Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times." 62 And he went out and wept bitterly.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 7:17:08 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:17:51 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

the act of punishing

Thank you. Catholics have the advantage over other Christians because they are guided by a trinity of Gods.
willbedone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:18:40 AM

the act of punishing

Put together. The trial, conviction ended with the crucifying of Christ which was a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure : :

No dictionary has the correct meaning of CHRIST, which has deceived every single Christian who has ever read the new testament. They think CHRIST is a visible person named Jesus. LOL !!!!!!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:20:26 AM
At 8/15/2016 7:17:08 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/15/2016 1:17:51 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

the act of punishing

Thank you. Catholics have the advantage over other Christians because they are guided by a trinity of Gods.

A triune God, yes. And you're welcome!
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 12:26:22 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:36:07 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Peter was the only one who offered a guess. He said Jesus was the Christ. But did he believe Jesus was sent by God? If Peter feared God and really believed Jesus was the Christ, would he have lied the very next day denying knowing Jesus?

Peter Denies Jesus
54 Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priest's house, and Peter was following at a distance. 55 And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat down among them. 56 Then a servant girl, seeing him as he sat in the light and looking closely at him, said, "This man also was with him." 57 But he denied it, saying, "Woman, I do not know him." 58 And a little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." But Peter said, "Man, I am not." 59 And after an interval of about an hour still another insisted, saying, "Certainly this man also was with him, for he too is a Galilean." 60 But Peter said, "Man, I do not know what you are talking about." And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, "Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times." 62 And he went out and wept bitterly.

You aren't demonstrating anything through the dictionary, just so you know.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:38:23 PM
At 8/15/2016 12:26:22 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/15/2016 6:36:07 AM, Harikrish wrote:

Peter Denies Jesus

You must have missed Dsjpk5's post#9

Dsjpk5 wrote:" As a Christian, I fully understand and agree with these definitions."

The alternative is dealing with a very incoherent Jesus and a conspiratorial God.

Here are the incoherent examples of spiritual profundity. How each disciple claimed Jesus was incoherent.

"All these things spoke Jesus unto the multitude in PARABLES; and without a parable spoke He not unto them." Matt 13:34

"But without a PARABLE spoke He not unto them"" Mark 4:34

"This PARABLE spoke Jesus unto them; but they understood not what things they were which He spoke unto them." John 10:6

But even the disciples often did not understand. Jesus taught His own disciples in private and told them:

"These things have I spoken unto you in PROVERBS: but the time comes when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you PLAINLY of the Father." John 16:25

By Jesus" own admission, He didn"t teach or speak to even His own apostles "plainly." But He promised that the time would come when He would no longer speak in proverbs but would speak plainly.

"And when He was alone, they that were about Him with the twelve asked of Him the parable." Mark 4:10

The people did not understand Jesus" parables; the Scribes and Pharisees did not understand Jesus" parables " except on one occasion they "perceived" He was speaking of them " and not even the Apostles understood Jesus " parables.

And when Jesus explained the parables to the Apostles at their request, He often explained them with - - another Parable!

Over and over, the Apostles did not understand.

"And He (Jesus) said unto them (His disciples), How is it that ye do NOT understand?" Mark 8:21

"But they understood NOT that saying, and were afraid to ask him." Mark 9:32

Jesus said unto His disciples:

"Let these sayings sink down into your ears. . . But they understood NOT this saying, and it was HID from them, and they perceived it NOT; and they feared to ask Him of that saying." Luke 9:44,45

And Jesus hoped he would become more articulate with time. But that time ran out. He was put to death.

John 16:25 "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father.

So what Christians know about God is all figurative. And that is because by Jesus's own admission he only spoke figuratively.

if the mission was to save the Jews and Gentiles to follow why was an incoherent Jesus sent and why was God hiding His message from the very people Jesus was sent to save. This is the clearest example of Dumb and Dumber (God and Jesus duo) together in a Divine Comedy Of Errors.

Mark 4:10-12
10When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12so that," 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'
"
So basically Jesus was teaching in parables so that people could be confuse including the disciples?
"
Conclusion
If Jesus was truly this Messiah whom people have been waiting in suspense for thousands of years, then why did he come to keep people in suspense even longer? Messengers of God are supposed to communicate clearly to the people what it is that God wants them to do. If they do not do so then how could we expect to have people understand the message that God is sending and to accept it?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:48:17 PM
At 8/15/2016 1:38:23 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Dsjpk5 wrote:" As a Christian, I fully understand and agree with these definitions."

The alternative is dealing with a very incoherent Jesus and a conspiratorial God.

Here are the incoherent examples of spiritual profundity. How each disciple claimed Jesus was incoherent.

"All these things spoke Jesus unto the multitude in PARABLES; and without a parable spoke He not unto them." Matt 13:34

"This PARABLE spoke Jesus unto them; but they understood not what things they were which He spoke unto them." John 10:6

But even the disciples often did not understand. Jesus taught His own disciples in private and told them:

"These things have I spoken unto you in PROVERBS: but the time comes when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall show you PLAINLY of the Father." John 16:25

By Jesus" own admission, He didn"t teach or speak to even His own apostles "plainly." But He promised that the time would come when He would no longer speak in proverbs but would speak plainly.

"And when He was alone, they that were about Him with the twelve asked of Him the parable." Mark 4:10

The people did not understand Jesus" parables; the Scribes and Pharisees did not understand Jesus" parables " except on one occasion they "perceived" He was speaking of them " and not even the Apostles understood Jesus " parables.

And when Jesus explained the parables to the Apostles at their request, He often explained them with - - another Parable!

"And He (Jesus) said unto them (His disciples), How is it that ye do NOT understand?" Mark 8:21

"Let these sayings sink down into your ears. . . But they understood NOT this saying, and it was HID from them, and they perceived it NOT; and they feared to ask Him of that saying." Luke 9:44,45

And Jesus hoped he would become more articulate with time. But that time ran out. He was put to death.

John 16:25 "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father.

So what Christians know about God is all figurative. And that is because by Jesus's own admission he only spoke figuratively.

if the mission was to save the Jews and Gentiles to follow why was an incoherent Jesus sent and why was God hiding His message from the very people Jesus was sent to save. This is the clearest example of Dumb and Dumber (God and Jesus duo) together in a Divine Comedy Of Errors.

10When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12so that," 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'
"
So basically Jesus was teaching in parables so that people could be confuse including the disciples?
"
Conclusion
If Jesus was truly this Messiah whom people have been waiting in suspense for thousands of years, then why did he come to keep people in suspense even longer? Messengers of God are supposed to communicate clearly to the people what it is that God wants them to do. If they do not do so then how could we expect to have people understand the message that God is sending and to accept it?

You are so off the mark, that I don't even know how to address what you are saying. Maybe you should read the gospel of John while believing what it says for the sake of comprehension. The Spirit of Truth will reveal all these things, but if you don't have that spirit, where will you be? Clear your mind of preconceptions and read with the intent of understanding what is being said. If you are reading with the attitude of trying to disprove what is being said, you are going to be very off the mark. You aren't going to understand what the scriptures say.

Now all that said, I'm not convinced that you are using the dictionary to prove anything. I think you are trying to argue something that has very little to do with the dictionary. The name of this topic is misleading.

Now if you or anyone else wants to see a genuine argument using the dictionary, there is a topic on this forum that thoroughly demolishes the position of atheism, which can only make a case against gods, not God.

http://www.debate.org...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:09:50 PM
At 8/15/2016 9:48:17 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

"
"
Conclusion

You are so off the mark, that I don't even know how to address what you are saying. Maybe you should read the gospel of John while believing what it says for the sake of comprehension. The Spirit of Truth will reveal all these things, but if you don't have that spirit, where will you be? Clear your mind of preconceptions and read with the intent of understanding what is being said. If you are reading with the attitude of trying to disprove what is being said, you are going to be very off the mark. You aren't going to understand what the scriptures say.

Most of what is written in John are not the actual words of Jesus. They are John's exaltation of Jesus. It is what John said about Jesus and not what Jesus said about himself.
You have to read the actual words spoken by Jesus which is possible with a red letter bible that highlights in red only the words spoken by Jesus to better understand what Jesus was teaching.

Now all that said, I'm not convinced that you are using the dictionary to prove anything. I think you are trying to argue something that has very little to do with the dictionary. The name of this topic is misleading.

The dictionary gives us the true meaning of words that best describes Jesus, his trial and his conviction which ended in his crucifixion.

Full Definition of punishment
the act of punishing

Now if you or anyone else wants to see a genuine argument using the dictionary, there is a topic on this forum that thoroughly demolishes the position of atheism, which can only make a case against gods, not God.

http://www.debate.org...
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:11:55 PM
At 8/15/2016 10:09:50 PM, Harikrish wrote:

"
"
Conclusion

Most of what is written in John are not the actual words of Jesus. They are John's exaltation of Jesus. It is what John said about Jesus and not what Jesus said about himself.
You have to read the actual words spoken by Jesus which is possible with a red letter bible that highlights in red only the words spoken by Jesus to better understand what Jesus was teaching.

The dictionary gives us the true meaning of words that best describes Jesus, his trial and his conviction which ended in his crucifixion.

the act of punishing

Not impressed.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:53:17 PM
At 8/15/2016 10:11:55 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/15/2016 10:09:50 PM, Harikrish wrote:

"
"
Conclusion

the act of punishing

The Gospels provides the details about his trial, conviction and method of punishment.

You should be confused.
It is unthinkable that the Jews who were a God fearing people and suffered His wrath in the past would put to death Jesus if they believed he was sent by God, much less if they believed Jesus was the son of God/Messiah/Christ. Jesus was given a chance to prove what he claimed at his trial. But he failed to convince the Jews and they shouted crucify him,crucify him.

Luke 23:21 But they kept shouting, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"

Matthew 27:25 All the people answered, "His blood is on us and on our children!"

Jesus was crucified shortly after.

Not impressed.

Not even at the thought of a God fearing people like the Jews putting to death the son of God/Messiah/Christ sent to save them?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:55:19 PM
Still waiting to be stumped by the dictionary.....
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:58:01 PM
This topic has nothing to do with the dictionary, and the OP is making this very clear.