Jump to topic:

Is Athiest a good title?

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 8:48:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
What is the word for someone who believes there is no god?

I thought it was Athiest. Maybe it is Anti-theist. But antitheist is someone opposed to theist thought, not nessarilly a description of a persons belief of no god/s.

So what is a person who claims there is no god or gods?

Why do so many Antitheist on this forum self label themselves as Athiest? Is it because the only footing in debate they can find is agnostic definition of Atheism?

How many times have we read someone saying until they see empirical proof they will believe thereis no God.

Isn't claiming the nonexistence of something still making an assertion about our shared reality and universe?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 8:56:41 AM
Distheist?

How long before that becomes a vague no-claim about the non existence of God?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:07:50 AM
At 8/16/2016 8:48:41 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I thought it was Athiest. Maybe it is Anti-theist. But antitheist is someone opposed to theist thought, not nessarilly a description of a persons belief of no god/s.

Why do so many Antitheist on this forum self label themselves as Athiest? Is it because the only footing in debate they can find is agnostic definition of Atheism?

How many times have we read someone saying until they see empirical proof they will believe thereis no God.

Isn't claiming the nonexistence of something still making an assertion about our shared reality and universe?

It is possible to be an agnostic, an atheist and an anti-theist all at the same time. In fact, Christopher Hitchens identified as such.

Agnosticism deals with the knowledge of whether God or gods exist or not, either claiming absence of such knowledge or even the impossibility of attaining such knowledge altogether. Atheism is the rejection of current theistic claims. Sometimes a distinction is made between those atheists who merely reject the unsupported claims offered by theists - the so-called weak or soft atheists - and the atheists who go a step beyond and assert that no gods exist - the so-called hard atheists. Finally, anti-theism, in he sense Hitchens used the term, involves a stance against certain theologies irrespective or in parallel to the dispute about their veracity.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:12:14 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:07:50 AM, Omniverse wrote:

It is possible to be an agnostic, an atheist and an anti-theist all at the same time. In fact, Christopher Hitchens identified as such.

Agnosticism deals with the knowledge of whether God or gods exist or not, either claiming absence of such knowledge or even the impossibility of attaining such knowledge altogether. Atheism is the rejection of current theistic claims. Sometimes a distinction is made between those atheists who merely reject the unsupported claims offered by theists - the so-called weak or soft atheists - and the atheists who go a step beyond and assert that no gods exist - the so-called hard atheists. Finally, anti-theism, in he sense Hitchens used the term, involves a stance against certain theologies irrespective or in parallel to the dispute about their veracity.

What word should I use to describe a person who believes there is no god or gods?
ShaneMcG
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:15:07 AM

This is a great explanation!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:22:49 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:15:07 AM, ShaneMcG wrote:

We have all heard this a thousand times. Just So we are using the same language.

If I want describe a person who believes there is no god or gods I could call them an 'Athiest'
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:35:53 AM
I would like to be know as a :
Doesn't believe in the God you believe in.
As a Atheist I can find any God in a second.
We are not limited like yourself.
You religious are all just very luck for being born where you were.
It does make me wonder why Christians are not born in Syria.
I know there is exceptions, but the numbers are truly incredible.
Ive seen that many Hindus that come from India, it's not funny .
The only explanation you can give for this is . You are extremely lucky.
The down side to this is .
How would a christian know he wasn't a Muslim ?
Names, smames. We would be a group if we didn't have em.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:42:26 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:35:53 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

I would already describe you as an Antitheist.

I was wondering with all the vague definitions if self described athiest actually admit if any singular word or prefix combination does indeed mean 'believes there is no, none, silch god or gods in or ever been in existence'.

Is there a word to describe someone who asserts there are no gods?

You don't like when I use the word athiest for that meaning (I get the above paragraph copy pasted) so what word should I use?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:45:32 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:12:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

What word should I use to describe a person who believes there is no god or gods?

Sensible.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:46:41 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:42:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I was wondering with all the vague definitions if self described athiest actually admit if any singular word or prefix combination does indeed mean 'believes there is no, none, silch god or gods in or ever been in existence'.

You don't like when I use the word athiest for that meaning (I get the above paragraph copy pasted) so what word should I use?

The exact same thing you call people who don't believe in fairies.
Or the same as a person who doesn't believe in Bigfoot and the rest.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:47:27 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:45:32 AM, desmac wrote:
At 8/16/2016 9:12:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Sensible

Dodge but very cute
ShaneMcG
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:52:06 AM

There are several terms that are used and generally accepted as correct. As Omniverse said, they are sometimes referred to as Hard Atheists or Strong Atheists, as opposed to weak or soft atheists who do not claim to know whether god exists. Another term, and one I think is more precise, is Gnostic Atheist (gnostic meaning "knowing" - thus, "knowing there is no god"). The opposite of that would be an Agnostic Atheist.

Yes. In my opinion gnostic atheists are almost as bad as gnostic theists.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:52:38 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:46:41 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 8/16/2016 9:42:26 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

The exact same thing you call people who don't believe in fairies.
Or the same as a person who doesn't believe in Bigfoot and the rest.

Do no-Godist have such an intellectually empty position that they must resort to changing definitions, sophistry and word play to avoid having to justify thier beliefs?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 9:56:51 AM
At 8/16/2016 9:52:06 AM, ShaneMcG wrote:

There are several terms that are used and generally accepted as correct. As Omniverse said, they are sometimes referred to as Hard Atheists or Strong Atheists, as opposed to weak or soft atheists who do not claim to know whether god exists. Another term, and one I think is more precise, is Gnostic Atheist (gnostic meaning "knowing" - thus, "knowing there is no god"). The opposite of that would be an Agnostic Atheist.

Yes. In my opinion gnostic atheists are almost as bad as gnostic theists.

Thanks for input.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 11:05:12 AM
Holy cow, I doubt I have ever come across someone who thinks he can lecture me on the absurd philosophical consequences of atheism, yet is this philosophically illiterate.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 11:15:04 AM

Atheist.

Correct. Anti-theist would be a specific subset of theists that are directly opposed to theist beliefs and institutions.

An atheist.

Why do so many Antitheist on this forum self label themselves as Athiest?

Because the terms aren't mutually exclusive. An anti-theist is a kind of atheist.

Is it because the only footing in debate they can find is agnostic definition of Atheism?

"Antitheist" is not a commonly used or known term. Atheist is more widely known and understood.

Yes, but there has to be a default position.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 11:15:28 AM

There are ignorant and arrogant atheists as there are ignorant and arrogant theists. If we are talking about a level playing field an atheist is someone who does not believe in religion, a theist is one who does.

I think the mistake theists often make is that their belief is the norm, therefore it is up to the atheist to disprove their position. To clarify, the theist is making the assertion (no matter how established it may be) and the atheist is refuting that assertion, therefore it is up to the theist to prove that God exists.

I know there are no fairies living in my garden and I can't prove there are no fairies. if my neighbour says there are, the onus is on him to explain to me what he means and show me where they are allegedly hiding.

Similarly, if you are charged with a criminal offence in court it is up to the prosecution to prove that charge (positive assertion), not for you to disprove the charge. Once the prosecution provides evidence you can then challenge it though.

I could make a claim about anything existing, no matter how ridiculous it may be but it would be even more ridiculous if I were to ask you to prove it does not exist.

So as a theist, you are making a positive assertion that God exists.
As an atheist I am making no assertion however I am refuting yours.
So, what evidence do you have that God exists?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:11:01 PM
At 8/16/2016 11:15:04 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Atheist.

Correct. Anti-theist would be a specific subset of theists that are directly opposed to theist beliefs and institutions.

An atheist.

Because the terms aren't mutually exclusive. An anti-theist is a kind of atheist.

Is it because the only footing in debate they can find is agnostic definition of Atheism?

"Antitheist" is not a commonly used or known term. Atheist is more widely known and understood.

So assert it is not true without justification because being open minded can't be a default position?

Perhaps you can make a thread about default positions so I can reply with how fallacious the atheist concept of it is.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:20:43 PM
At 8/16/2016 2:11:01 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Atheist.

An atheist.

So assert it is not true without justification because being open minded can't be a default position?

Perhaps you can make a thread about default positions so I can reply with how fallacious the atheist concept of it is.

I currently hold that unicorns, leprechauns, sylphs, faeries, brownies, banshees, goblins, trolls, and gods don't exist due to a complete lack of evidence. Explain how these are not default positions?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:24:38 PM

Open minded simply means you are receptive to new information and will allow it to change your views. It does not necessarily mean accepting it as true.

No, need, I can summarize it here:

1. You can believe something is true or not believe something is true.
2. Without justification for either, there must still be a default position (believe as true, not believe as true).
3. As a default position (prior to evaluating justifications) you can either:
A. Accept everything as true.
B. Accept nothing as true.
C. Accept some things as true, but not others.
4. The general default position (prior to evaluating justifications) can't be (A) since that would include things that are contradictory.
5. The general default position (prior to evaluating justifications) can be (C), but since we are not yet evaluating justifications for accepting or rejecting beliefs, the only system is randomly decided what to believe or not believe. Randomness is not preferable.
6. (B) is accepted by process of elimination.

In conclusion, prior to evaluating the justification for a belief, the rational default position should be disbelief.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:35:04 PM

Atheist.

An atheist.

Open mindedness is not a position on a given topic.
Regardless, when confronted with the important question "What would change your mind" prominent atheists reply and often cite very specific examples of what would indeed change their minds. Theists? From what I've observed, a significant portion just blushes, stutters and finally evades the question.

Which of these two stances sounds more open minded to you?

Yeah, I've listen to that cassette countless times.
It doesn't reward repeated listening.
But by all means, do start such thread.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:40:22 PM
At 8/16/2016 9:22:49 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 8/16/2016 9:15:07 AM, ShaneMcG wrote:

We have all heard this a thousand times. Just So we are using the same language.

If I want describe a person who believes there is no god or gods I could call them an 'Athiest'

I think the term atheist can apply to beliefs within a range similar to theists. There are theists on this site that are a little more pragmatic in their beliefs than some of their counterparts and there are some that think that God personally whispers to them what words to type on a keyboard, such as willbedone.

I think it would be appropriate to refer to anyone that is not a theist as an atheist for the most part ("a" means without, such as the case with "amoral" or "asexual").
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:42:44 PM
What is the word for someone who believes there is no unicorns?

I thought it was Aunicornist. Maybe it is Anti-unicorns. But antiunicornist is someone opposed to theist thought, not nessarilly a description of a persons belief of no unicorns.

So what is a person who claims there is no unicorns?

Why do so many Antiunicornists on this forum self label themselves as Aunicornist? Is it because the only footing in debate they can find is agnostic definition of Aunicornism?

How many times have we read someone saying until they see empirical proof they will believe there is no unicorns.

Go ahead, M, answer your own post.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 3:18:47 PM
At 8/16/2016 2:20:43 PM, dhardage wrote:

Atheist.

An atheist.

I currently hold that unicorns, leprechauns, sylphs, faeries, brownies, banshees, goblins, trolls, and gods don't exist due to a complete lack of evidence. Explain how these are not default positions?

I think that the existence of a brontocraptor proves the reality of one of the items on your list,dc. Clue; it isn't gods.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 3:25:42 PM

Logically, I would refer to someone who believes that there is no god as an antitheist, but that word, as you said, means something else. Unfortunately, our language is not structured around logic, so we have to look past this.

That being said, some refer to someone with a "lack of belief" specifically as weak or negative atheists (or just plain atheists). Those who belief there is no god can be termed as strong or positive atheists. In any case, strong atheists are a subset of negative atheists (hence, all atheists) because they necessarily also lack a belief in the existence of god.

Additionally, the application of the term "strong atheist" ignores some of the nuances in the position. For instance, there are many atheists who positively believe that the Abrahamic God does not exist, but merely lack belief in the existence of other gods; deistic ones, in particular. So, since atheism is generally a reaction to a theistic claim, blanket statements of belief are difficult to apply.

Rejecting or arguing against the validity of a positive claim doesn't entail the issuance of a claim. This means that if one dispute the validity of the claims of God's existence, the BoP lies with the claimant, or else the conclusion is deemed null and unacceptable (not necessarily false). This applies both ways, though. If a person positively claims that a god doesn't exist or issues arguments such as the Problem from Evil, you could dispute those claims without issuing any claims of your own. These are my thoughts, at least.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 3:31:23 PM
At 8/16/2016 11:05:12 AM, Fkkize wrote:
Holy cow, I doubt I have ever come across someone who thinks he can lecture me on the absurd philosophical consequences of atheism, yet is this philosophically illiterate.

+infinity

Don't forget, he is also someone that will ignore philosophical consequences of his beliefs and flip-flops his beliefs when confronted.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 3:49:33 PM

QUIET.
The great Atheist elience has spoken .
We here at he GAE. That's pronounced (gee).
We here at the Great Atheist Elience aka ( The GAE ONES ) gee.
Have voted and have decided , from this very moment on .we demand To be named , and to be known by .
The Children Of The Corn. ( COC ) wich is pronounced , cosh,
Say it with me . COC.
The Cosh. COC
And you will address us with the upmost modesty.
You will not call us the GAE, and you may not call us the COC. Or these words combined in specific ways thst put COC WITH GAE.

We are the group formally know as .
The Great Atheist Elience. GAE.
And are now known as
The Children Of the Corn. Or The COC.

May this day go down in history .
It's time for the COC to rise.
We rise when we need to ,
I'll be the leader if you all want . I'll be the head of the COC.

Goodluck in finding a way to insult us now.
At ease COC.

To prove we can be a great group , you are all invited to a festival in the park near you.
So cum on down to the COC fest this weekend. Everyone can come.

I'll leave it to you Mhykiel.
Now go forth and tell all about the COC .
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 3:54:00 PM
At 8/16/2016 3:27:33 PM, Gyankrit wrote:

'HINDU' IS A GEOGRAPHICAL IDENTITY AND NOT A RELIGIOUS ONE.

PEOPLE LIVING ON THE BANKS OF THE RIVER 'SINDHU' WERE CALLED 'HINDUS' BECAUSE THE FOREIGNERS WERE NOT ABLE TO PRONOUNCE 'S'.

A MUSLIM LIVING IN INDIA IS HINDU.

A LION LIVING IN INDIA IS HINDU.

I HAVE WARNED BEFORE - DO NOT SPREAD LIES IN THE NAME OF HINDU'ISM'.

HINDU'ISM DOES NOT EXIST.

PERIOD!

MODERN SCIENCE HAS NOT ADVANCED TO THE POINT FOR YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT GLORIOUS SANATAN DHARMA IS ABOUT.

Multiverse. Big Bang. Abiogenesis. Theory of evolution.

I was waiting for that .
Right you are , right you are .
Hey Gyankrit, you know what I mean but hey ?
Gyankrit ?
Yeah , you know what I mean.
It's close to a miracle.