Jump to topic:

Religion and Law

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 7:40:24 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think most would agree people yse religious tenets as a guide to moral living.

A society can not be composed of completely free individuals. That is to say free from imposed consequences for doing what ever an individual desires.

Let's agree the state is drafted by society. And the most basic consequences imposed by the state are so people in power stay in power. Such as seizing property for back taxes.

What religious tenets do you think are codified in legislation that should be?

What legislation do you think religion expressly forbades?

If the states legislation is not complimentary to religious tenets does it invite God's wrath?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 8:35:26 PM
If the state's legislation is not in accordance with a moral imperative would the system destroy itself from internal pressures?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 8:50:03 PM
More important to the survival of the state than its government is the civil population. If the civil population is Godly, it doesn't matter how oppressive the government seems. If the civil population is Godless, it doesn't matter how libertarian their government is. Rebellion according to the tyrants is obedience to God.

God tells us that all authorities were put in place by God, so when a principality or dominion or power of any kind attacks God or persecutes those who believe in God, it is ensuring its own demise.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 12:09:52 AM
At 8/18/2016 7:40:24 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
I think most would agree people yse religious tenets as a guide to moral living.

Moral living in a goat-herder, patriarchal society in the bronze age? Yes, certainly. Relevant to modern society in western democracies? No, with rare exceptions, quite the contrary.

A society can not be composed of completely free individuals. That is to say free from imposed consequences for doing what ever an individual desires.

Certainly. That is why we have law-making bodies (government), law enforcement (police) and a judicial system (the courts) to interpret and apply the law.

Let's agree the state is drafted by society. And the most basic consequences imposed by the state are so people in power stay in power.

Generally not in democracies.

Such as seizing property for back taxes.

Non sequitur. I fail to see what that has to do with your previous assertion.

Insufficent knowledge for me to say. I suspect very few.

What does it matter? The time has long since passed when religion had any authority in civil matters even amongst its own congregation.

If the states legislation is not complimentary to religious tenets does it invite God's wrath?

Lol. God is hot on talk about wrath but his bark is far, far worse than his bite since he never does a single thing. Almost like he isn't there at all, eh?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 12:15:59 AM
At 8/18/2016 8:50:03 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
More important to the survival of the state than its government is the civil population. If the civil population is Godly, it doesn't matter how oppressive the government seems. If the civil population is Godless, it doesn't matter how libertarian their government is. Rebellion according to the tyrants is obedience to God.

Lol. That is why there are no Christian theocracies remaining in the world after the Middle Ages. It's because the people just loved them. Have a look at Iran, a Muslim theocracy, and tell us that you approve. Unless you are a hypocrite, of course.

God tells us that all authorities were put in place by God, so when a principality or dominion or power of any kind attacks God or persecutes those who believe in God, it is ensuring its own demise.

God tells us nothing. He never speaks and he never intervenes despite your delusions.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:43:53 AM

Let's agree the state is drafted by society. And the most basic consequences imposed by the state are so people in power stay in power. Such as seizing property for back taxes.

As long as people don't harm ... everything should be legal. religion is poison. The only "tenets" that will be implemented are the obvious ones it takes credit for... The other, it has already tainted are legal system with... more in the way of creating superstitious subhumans. People will say and do stupid things when they feel an action is necessary to keep them away from whatever they envision as "hell." Blinding them from what really is evil... it is the master tactic of Lucifer to hide behind the bad.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 5:56:40 AM

you talk about state regards to religion. it reminds us to the Islamic State. This group promotes the state bases on religion purely. what do you think?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 6:05:12 AM

Mhykiel, while we often disagree on how religion ought to engage society, your thoughts on this are often considered.

I don't think I'm really in the target audience for this question (and you can probably already guess my answers within a ballpark anyway.)

But how would you answer those questions? And what do you think is an appropriate way to deal with religious pluralism in society? Do you advocate a single religion per nation-state? Separate-but-equal religious communities in a pluralist society? A dominant patron religion in a multi-faith state, or something else?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 2:58:18 AM
At 8/19/2016 12:15:59 AM, dee-em wrote:

Lol. That is why there are no Christian theocracies remaining in the world after the Middle Ages. It's because the people just loved them. Have a look at Iran, a Muslim theocracy, and tell us that you approve. Unless you are a hypocrite, of course.

What does this have to do with anything? You sound superstitious.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 10:11:23 AM
At 8/19/2016 5:56:40 AM, uncung wrote:

you talk about state regards to religion. it reminds us to the Islamic State. This group promotes the state bases on religion purely. what do you think?

I think IS demonstrates exactly what one would expect of a theocracy: vile barbarity and boundless cruelty.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 10:51:38 AM

If the states legislation is not complimentary to religious tenets does it invite God's wrath? : :

All religions and man's laws are centered around the false gods that man builds with his human hands. Man's laws protect the original ideas that form in man's minds to build the false gods. A government is formed by those who got the idea's in their minds to build false gods. All the various languages that form by the building of false gods are also protected by the government.

To answer all your questions about religion, you need to understand what the Beast is written about in Daniel and Revelation. If you don't listen to the voice of God, you won't get this knowledge about the Beast and you will never understand why God used those false gods to teach us about the future and how he created everything.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:21:24 PM
At 8/20/2016 2:58:18 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

And that has to be the most disconnected response I have seen from you to date.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 2:32:51 PM
At 8/20/2016 12:21:24 PM, dee-em wrote:

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 2:39:42 PM
At 8/20/2016 10:11:23 AM, Looncall wrote:
At 8/19/2016 5:56:40 AM, uncung wrote:

I think IS demonstrates exactly what one would expect of a theocracy: vile barbarity and boundless cruelty.

They are cruel and barbaric because we oppose them. if we welcomed them then they would be nice to us.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 2:47:06 AM
At 8/20/2016 2:32:51 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

No, I was wrong. This is the new champion of disconnected.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 3:55:37 AM
At 8/21/2016 2:47:06 AM, dee-em wrote:

Wow, there seems to be a lot of that, huh?

Let me make it clear. A government that claims to be Christian has nothing to do with what Christianity is about. Ask me, do I want a Christian Theocracy? Absolutely not, bad things happen when worldly governments hijack the church. There is enough government meddling in the church as it is today.

But truly, God is sovereign over all things.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 4:18:06 AM
At 8/21/2016 3:55:37 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Apparently so.

Let me make it clear. A government that claims to be Christian has nothing to do with what Christianity is about. Ask me, do I want a Christian Theocracy? Absolutely not, bad things happen when worldly governments hijack the church. There is enough government meddling in the church as it is today.

theocracy
noun
a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god.
"his ambition is to lead a worldwide theocracy"

Far from being a "worldly government hijacking the church", it is a church taking charge of the reins of government, ie. assuming the role of governance.

Except he isn't since he doesn't exist. And to preempt you, yes reality exists. Reality is not God.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 4:50:49 AM
At 8/21/2016 4:18:06 AM, dee-em wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Far from being a "worldly government hijacking the church", it is a church taking charge of the reins of government, ie. assuming the role of governance.

Well, there are many ways that it happens. A theocracy is a worldly government.

Except he isn't since he doesn't exist. And to preempt you, yes reality exists. Reality is not God.

Not simply reality, but The Ultimate Reality, which is a very specific reality. That is what the word means, whether or not you accept it. There is no debate about this.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 3:19:06 AM
At 8/21/2016 4:50:49 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Whatever that means. You are still wrong about a "worldly government hijacking the church". Will you admit your error? No, of course not.

Not simply reality, but The Ultimate Reality, which is a very specific reality. That is what the word means, whether or not you accept it. There is no debate about this.

The same predictable BS argument by dictionary definition. You have been refuted a thousand times before but, like a broken record, you keep playing the same tune hoping somebody will eventually buy it. The ironic thing is that you aren't even aware of how crazy you sound. In fact, it's the very definition of insanity to keep repeating the same failed nonsense and expecting to get a different outcome. The fact that you insist, despite the number of times you have been refuted, that there is no debate about it only confirms your deep psychosis.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 3:47:45 AM
At 8/22/2016 3:19:06 AM, dee-em wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Whatever that means. You are still wrong about a "worldly government hijacking the church". Will you admit your error? No, of course not.

Not at all, historically this has been the case that worldly dominions would utilize the beliefs of the people in order to maintain governance. This has been done since time immemorial, and it isn't going to stop. The reality is a bit more complicated than "theocracy" or "monarchy" or "democracy". We are after all talking about the state. Do you know what "state" means?

____
Full Definition of state
a : mode or condition of being
b (1) : condition of mind or temperament <in a highly nervous state> (2) : a condition of abnormal tension or excitement
a : a condition or stage in the physical being of something <insects in the larval state> <the gaseous state of water>
b : any of various conditions characterized by definite quantities (as of energy, angular momentum, or magnetic moment) in which an atomic system may exist
a : social position; especially : high rank
b (1) : elaborate or luxurious style of living (2) : formal dignity : pomp "usually used with in
a : a body of persons constituting a special class in a society : estate 3
b plural : the members or representatives of the governing classes assembled in a legislative body
c obsolete : a person of high rank (as a noble)
a : a politically organized body of people usually occupying a definite territory; especially : one that is sovereign
b : the political organization of such a body of people
c : a government or politically organized society having a particular character <the welfare state>
.: the operations or concerns of the government of a country
a : one of the constituent units of a nation having a federal government <the fifty states>
b plural capitalized : The United States of America
.: the territory of a state
_____

Now, do you know what it means when a human institution claims to be "the state"? Look at the full meaning of the word. Now, do you really think that these institutions that claim to be "the state" represent the reality of how things really are? These entities claim to be reality. They are gods with a little "g". I tell you, all of these dominions were put in place by God, and these gods are mortal. They are created, they live for a time, and they die. The God I speak of has been there since the beginning and will be there till the end. The God I speak of has no partner, and these little gods come and go. They will die. These dominions will come and go, but The Kingdom of God is The Everlasting Dominion. These little realities are transient, but The Ultimate Reality is Lord over time.

The same predictable BS argument by dictionary definition. You have been refuted a thousand times before but, like a broken record, you keep playing the same tune hoping somebody will eventually buy it. The ironic thing is that you aren't even aware of how crazy you sound. In fact, it's the very definition of insanity to keep repeating the same failed nonsense and expecting to get a different outcome. The fact that you insist, despite the number of times you have been refuted, that there is no debate about it only confirms your deep psychosis.

I'm not expecting a different outcome. I'm expecting the outcome I'm getting. I haven't been refuted at all. The only people who have expressed problem with the dictionary? Atheists. People who are in denial of God. The reason why they have a problem is because the dictionary invalidates their position quite soundly. The ironic thing is, by scoffing at the dictionary they only serve as witnesses against themselves that the dictionary is accurate.

There is no atheist argument that can stand against The Ultimate Reality. There is no knowledge that can exalt itself above God, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 4:33:41 AM
At 8/22/2016 3:47:45 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Not at all, historically this has been the case that worldly dominions would utilize the beliefs of the people in order to maintain governance.

That's not a theocracy. See definition above.

This has been done since time immemorial, and it isn't going to stop. The reality is a bit more complicated than "theocracy" or "monarchy" or "democracy".

No, a theocracy uses the beliefs of the people to maintain its own authority. The reference I made was to the Middle Ages and later where the Pope was effectively the puppet master for many of the countries in Europe. Do you see anyone pining for those days and the abuse of the population by the tyrrany of the Catholic Church? It got so bad that even the church itself had to undergo a reformation. There were schisms and splits everywhere. What a joyful time was had by all. Lol.

We are after all talking about the state. Do you know what "state" means? <snipped as irrelevant>

I'm not expecting a different outcome. I'm expecting the outcome I'm getting. I haven't been refuted at all.

Denial is also a sign of insanity. Lol.

The only people who have expressed problem with the dictionary? Atheists. People who are in denial of God. The reason why they have a problem is because the dictionary invalidates their position quite soundly. The ironic thing is, by scoffing at the dictionary they only serve as witnesses against themselves that the dictionary is accurate.

You should hear yourself. Arguing by dictionary. And it's not just atheists. Just how many of your fellow Christians support you in this brain-dead approach? I don't think you'll find a single one who would be quite so foolish. You might be lucky and find another crazy though. BoG perhaps? Lol.

There is no atheist argument that can stand against The Ultimate Reality.

We don't need an argument. All you have is the circular position that if a belief of theists is documented in a dictionary then that dictionary entry makes the belief a fact. It is so farcical and absurd that I feel aggrieved at having to waste my time on it. You used to call yourseof UniversalTheologian. You would be laughed out of any theology class if you turned this in. Lol.

There is no knowledge that can exalt itself above God, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Blah, blah, blah. Nothing to do with anything.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 12:24:15 PM
At 8/22/2016 4:33:41 AM, dee-em wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Not at all, historically this has been the case that worldly dominions would utilize the beliefs of the people in order to maintain governance.

This has been done since time immemorial, and it isn't going to stop. The reality is a bit more complicated than "theocracy" or "monarchy" or "democracy".

No, a theocracy uses the beliefs of the people to maintain its own authority. The reference I made was to the Middle Ages and later where the Pope was effectively the puppet master for many of the countries in Europe. Do you see anyone pining for those days and the abuse of the population by the tyrrany of the Catholic Church? It got so bad that even the church itself had to undergo a reformation. There were schisms and splits everywhere. What a joyful time was had by all. Lol.

We are after all talking about the state. Do you know what "state" means? <snipped as irrelevant>

I'm not expecting a different outcome. I'm expecting the outcome I'm getting. I haven't been refuted at all.

The only people who have expressed problem with the dictionary? Atheists. People who are in denial of God. The reason why they have a problem is because the dictionary invalidates their position quite soundly. The ironic thing is, by scoffing at the dictionary they only serve as witnesses against themselves that the dictionary is accurate.

You should hear yourself. Arguing by dictionary. And it's not just atheists. Just how many of your fellow Christians support you in this brain-dead approach? I don't think you'll find a single one who would be quite so foolish. You might be lucky and find another crazy though. BoG perhaps? Lol.

We don't need an argument. All you have is the circular position that if a belief of theists is documented in a dictionary then that dictionary entry makes the belief a fact. It is so farcical and absurd that I feel aggrieved at having to waste my time on it. You used to call yourseof UniversalTheologian. You would be laughed out of any theology class if you turned this in. Lol.

There is no knowledge that can exalt itself above God, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

What I said had a lot to do with the topic. You aren't being edifying, you are simply contradicting me for the sake of arguing.

You think you are wasting your time? You certainly are. You don't listen very well, you don't understand what I'm saying, yet you've adopted this arrogant approach. It doesn't serve you. You deserve your frustration.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 12:35:20 PM
At 8/22/2016 12:24:15 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

What I said had a lot to do with the topic. You aren't being edifying, you are simply contradicting me for the sake of arguing.

You think you are wasting your time? You certainly are. You don't listen very well, you don't understand what I'm saying, yet you've adopted this arrogant approach. It doesn't serve you. You deserve your frustration.

Your constant lies are the only cause of frustration.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:30:41 PM
At 8/22/2016 12:24:15 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Apparently so.

theocracy
noun

Don't kid yourself.

Your problem is that I and others understand you all too well. We see right through your parlour tricks which you try and pass off as profound insights. You are such a fraud.
cedertree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 2:03:35 PM
I'll address the first statement by citing the fact that the religious are no more moral than than the non-religious.
http://www.livescience.com...
just putting that out there so that there is no illusion that being religious somehow makes people better. They might feel better but they don't act better.
next I want to cite some of the Bible laws/tenants that we don't use today
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." (Peter 2:18: )
the first 3 commandments of the Bible.
I wont go into the old testament laws as the argument is that Jesus absolved the need to kill every one that's not a believer but certainly those aren't used.
As far as wrath of God on ungodly nations... we have seen no real evidence that our collective morality causes bad or good things that can't be explained. Let's say that a disease that has the potential to kill many people comes out of seemingly no where. Many could agree that this is the wrath of God. Yet these diseases strike in predictable ways that has nothing to do with our collective thoughts on right and wrong. when we do see something go bad we can almost always point to a flaw in the culture and/or thinking at the time. this is totally a human thing.
Nations rise and fall. It just seems natural. Even the chosen people have gone through good and bad times.
My position is clear on this point. No law should be made simple on the basis of "cause God says so". When that happens the door to inquiry slams shut.
As has been pointed out the present theocracies in the world are morally reprehensible. As well it doesn't take much research in the past to see that religious heavy nations of christianity did not fare any better than than say religious heavy nations of Hinuism.
Laws should be made based on logic and the best human condition for as many as possible. When religion or absolutes in ideology enter the laws logic is pushed to the wayside and we are told not to question. This, in humble opinion, is the basis of atrocity.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:28:58 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:30:41 PM, dee-em wrote:
Your problem is that I and others understand you all too well. We see right through your parlour tricks which you try and pass off as profound insights. You are such a fraud.

So then you admit to denying Ultimate Reality?

Ok then, glad it's been made clear that you are a fool.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 8:07:53 PM
At 8/22/2016 7:28:58 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

The only thing that has been made clear is that you are a liar.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:49:22 AM

This is exactly what I mean. An insane mind stuck in a rut and with no way to get itself out. People try and help and SaT just plays the same loop over and over in his head pretending he has heard nothing. Nothing registers. He has cut himself off completely from any approach.

Something certainly is clear and it isn't what you think. The deluded have no other resort but to call out their opponents as fools when all else fails.

Repeat this mantra after me everyone:

God is ultimate reality. You can't deny ultimate reality.
<repeat 50 times>

Now you're getting the hang of it. Lol.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 2:01:51 AM
At 8/23/2016 1:49:22 AM, dee-em wrote:

This is exactly what I mean. An insane mind stuck in a rut and with no way to get itself out. People try and help and SaT just plays the same loop over and over in his head pretending he has heard nothing. Nothing registers. He has cut himself off completely from any approach.

Something certainly is clear and it isn't what you think. The deluded have no other resort but to call out their opponents as fools when all else fails.

<repeat 50 times>

The idea that I might be correct must be terrifying to you.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 2:07:45 AM
At 8/23/2016 2:01:51 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/23/2016 1:49:22 AM, dee-em wrote:

<repeat 50 times>

The idea that I might be correct must be terrifying to you.

Still shuttered away and in complete denial. That's exactly the behaviour exhibited by the insane. With every post you confirm my diagnosis. How long before you roll up into the foetal position I wonder?