Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Empathy

janesix
Posts: 6,494
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?
dee-em
Posts: 8,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Harikrish
Posts: 14,738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.
bulproof
Posts: 30,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:16:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

Sounds about right. How do you dash babies against rocks as your god orders if you have empathy. God abhors empathy.
When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
And the red queen's off with her head
Remember what the dormouse said
Feed your head, feed your head
dee-em
Posts: 8,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Harikrish
Posts: 14,738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 12:21:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.

You got it backwards. One never loses the ability to empathize. But bigotry by definition makes one to regard or treat the members of other groups (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
dee-em
Posts: 8,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:45:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/19/2016 12:21:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.

You got it backwards. One never loses the ability to empathize.

Then you are rejecting the study which jane mentioned in the OP? (It's a pity she didn't link it).

But bigotry by definition makes one to regard or treat the members of other groups (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

But not necessarily translate into violence.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 4,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:52:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.

"Believers" is a misconstrued idea, at least those who think they know what a "believer" is, but of course, believers are not the same as practitioners, they are not one and the same. "Atrocities" recorded in history don't reflect practitioners, but "believers"... do you know the difference, never mind I don't expect you to answer that honestly...
dee-em
Posts: 8,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:58:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/20/2016 12:52:49 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.

"Believers" is a misconstrued idea, at least those who think they know what a "believer" is, but of course, believers are not the same as practitioners, they are not one and the same. "Atrocities" recorded in history don't reflect practitioners, but "believers"... do you know the difference, never mind I don't expect you to answer that honestly...

No True Scotsman comes out to play again.
Fatihah: It's like your mother making spaghetti and after you taste it and don't like it, you say "well my mom must not exist". Not because their is no logical evidence but because she doesn't do what you want.
Harikrish
Posts: 14,738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 3:47:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/20/2016 12:45:10 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 12:21:28 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/19/2016 8:12:36 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:02:50 AM, Harikrish wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:33:54 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/18/2016 11:28:27 PM, janesix wrote:
I just read about a study that suggests empathy can be turned on or off by force of will. If this is true, why would god give us this ability?

So that believers would have no qualms in obeying God and persecuting, torturing and killing non-believers or believers of another tribe. A very useful ability don't you think?

You are conflating bigotry with empathy.

I don't think so. If believers could consistently empathize with their victims surely they would not be able to commit the atrocities which are recorded in history, regardless of their bigotry towards others who don't share their beliefs.

You got it backwards. One never loses the ability to empathize.

Then you are rejecting the study which jane mentioned in the OP? (It's a pity she didn't link it).

But bigotry by definition makes one to regard or treat the members of other groups (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

But not necessarily translate into violence.

Which proves that empathy preserves the balance.